• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah Paradox I know how it feels I broke my ankle once and though I rode against Dr's orders and w/o mom knowing it when the cast came off the foot/ankle hurt when it went it the stirrup. I an guessing it took about 6mths maybe less for the pain to go away. Because one day I relised it was not there any more. And that was 6mths after. And this was before they did PT with every break for recovery. In 1980...

Something funny happened to me that turned out good for me. I was cruzing everywhere looking like I had been for the last I don't know how long now for a place to live. And by mistake I posted something to facebook, and a friend said some thing like are you kidding me that 3 blocks from where I lived Someone else posted are you moving. and it went one from there and kinda snow balled. Think about 12 "friends" posted from where I live now and from where I used to live when I went to elementary school each wanting me to stay or move back and move back to someplace I would love to but I have not lived since 1976.
    And I was reading through the posts and one person asked how much I was paying on rent. that was all he posted. So I made up a number as I did not think it was his business as I have not seen him since I was 12. And he said "I have a place in town at this address that has stood empty for 9mth it is your for 200$ less + utilities if you want it." My jaw dropped... for the better part of 6ths I've looked for a place and he has had one less than 4 blocks away... But I found a place it is weird how it happened but I found a place. And 4 dogs and a cat is no problem. And he is going on our friendship from 1970's in elementary school nothing in writing to seal the deal.

So moving day today and tomorrow yeay cant wait. Gotta call the electric and gas. He pays water and trash don't know why but hey no problem here. Its smaller then where we live in now but who really needs a 3000sqf Victorian anyway? With a slate roof, some gingerbreading , original front door with the original glass, original window w original glass, original wood work unpainted, built in 1859..
    sniff...sniff..

Actually I would give my right arm to own something like that in my old neighborhood in the city where I atteneded elementary school. As I said I would love to move back there.

If I not on line for a few days it is because the cable company has not caught up with us yet. They (to quote good ol honest Abe) "Got a case of the slows" It may be next week or the next before in back on line... or maybe even the next.
    But evenually they'llgetrundtoit as soon as georges dog gits off the porch an lits em git e's tool's an e git e's tuk sarrtd. Ten e's gotta stop by an pic upen git the stuf toen put in the stuf in my hose an thit might thak a fiw days donca ya kniw.
    That is the process goes and sometimes I think every phone call made in the area goes through the old switch board system with someone's old aunt edie operating it.
    Friend of bar .ka

Comment

• Jaslyn, I understand what you are saying. I hope things work out, and that Finn quickly finds a wonderful new home. The job sounds great--really hope you get it!

Paradox, that's great news about riding. Hang in there. I'm not surprised at all to hear that the ankle hurts now--just take things slowly. At least you're riding!

Bumknees, that is awesome news. Good luck with the move, and may you have a lot of help! I must say, I am so impressed with how your typing has continued to improve since the stroke.
      I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• I forgot to mention that Sky has continued to morph back into her old self. We did a little jumping yesterday, and she was quiet and willing--no taking off, and only a few little exuberant bounces when I thought she might buck...but she changed her mind.

Our first show of the season is this Saturday, and it's at our barn. It's likely to be a small show, so it seems perfect for Sky. I will definitely go in a few flat classes, and if she continues to be good jumping, I will do her first pre-green hunter classes with her.
        I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Thanks, guys! Yesterday was ride number two. This time I ditched the western saddle and tacked up in my normal saddle. I just dropped the strirrups two holes. I also did not wear the new boots, but put on my paddocks just to ride. And I think having had two more days of just walking on the ankle helped some. But the ride was MUCH MUCH better. Still awkward to post, but it was so much better than the first ride. Much less painful. So I'm hopeful! I am only riding every other day, and only walk trot for 20 minutes. Well, I take that back, yesterday was going so well we cantered a few circles in both directions too.

Event4Life, I totally relate to what you're saying about a special horse in a different wrapper. My current horse is one I probably would never have ever even considered. He kind of came to me accidently. This is an odd story on how I got him. A friend of a friend got this horse (Ap/Trak cross). She wanted me to ride him for a month just to make sure he was safe, etc. So she brought him over to my place, and he hopped off the trailer, and I was sort of thinking, Hmm..not the cutest thing. I was never before a fan of Appys, so that clouded my judgment. Well, that day I got on him and rode him a little to see how he was. This person that brought him wanted basically a trail horse. Well, I liked him from the first ride. So I kept trying to get "lady" to ride him so I can show her how to work with him. She would blow me off. I would say, okay, next weekend, come out so we can work with him. She blew me off again. Finally on week three with her never even setting foot back on my property, she said she was just going to pick him up but didn't have time to ride at my place. Warning bells went off in my head. I knew she didn't like him. She wouldn't even RIDE him. So I said to her, "I really wish you would come ride him. I get the feeling you don't like him." And I said something like, "If you decide you don't want to keep him, please let me know. We've sort of bonded." I didn't know what would come of that email. Well, moments later, she said to do her a favor and just keep him. She said I was doing her a favor by saving her the trip to take him back. She did get him for free. So, here he is. I LOVE this horse more than any other I've ever owned. We just click! Who would have thought I would have loved spots? I later found out he did have a jumping and dressage background. So we brushed up, and he's just been great for me. Totally trustworthy, which is such a treat. Oh, and by the way, I totally think he is super cute, now! Isn't that funny?
          Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Feb. 6, 2013, 12:01 PM. Reason: add
          “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
          ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Hi, everyone -

I haven't been around in awhile and I really need to go back and read through about what everyone has been up to. I've had a lot going on and been keeping posting to a minimum other than the occasional jingles and nods of agreement. I'm at a training for work now (yay, lunch break!) but hopefully I'll have time to catch up more with y'all later!

Hope all is well with everyone!

Comment

• Dewey good luck with the show. Glad Sky is back to herself and doing well.

Dreamin welcome back! Been thinking about you! So nice to hear from you, let us know what's new when you can.

Still freezing and snowy up here. No fun riding going on, we're all counting the days until spring!

Comment

• waiting for the big storm to come in here in new england-- 2ft of snow for us on friday!

I am naturally preparing by continuing to saddle shop online, leading to the purchase of a SECOND saddle. My husband is about to block ebay from the router, I think.
                Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• It has been a very long time since I posted on this thread and I'm 99.9% sure that you guys are more experience re-riders than me, so I apologize for the book.

I had a lesson yesterday on my lease horse and I feel like I've taken 1 step forward and 100 steps back! My instructor took out the french link snaffle that I bought for him and put his plain snaffle back in, so with that and the fact that he hadn't been ridden in 10 days, I felt like I was just in a pissing contest with him and I was losing!

*sigh* He leans so much on the plain snaffle and I know it's my fault because it takes two to pull, but I don't know how to not do it and I feel like I'm turning into a ham-fisted jerk.

It was a very frustrating ride and very discouraging.

Oh, and a little background so you'll know how little I know - had horses as a kid, rode all over the place but didn't lesson. Started taking lessons a couple of years ago, very sporadically, and quit when my instructor left her barn about 4 months after I started back. Just when I was feeling not so sucky.

There was a horse, Misty, that I was able to ride a little last year but her owner moved her back and I lost her. She and the current horse are like day and night - she was lazy and her favorite gait was walk or jog - the current one is a powerhouse and is favorite gait is trot and as fast as he can.

I would give anything for the lazy again for just a few rides! lol

Maybe I just needed to whine - the vet called me right before I got on the horse and said my cat's bloodwork was worse than it was when he was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. He was diagnosed Sept. 2011.

That's my story - please tell me I'm not alone.
                  Last edited by rubygirl1968; Feb. 7, 2013, 07:18 AM. Reason: eta

Comment

• Rubygirl1968 you are not alone. Maybe this horse you are leasing is not a good match for you right now. Since you lease you have the option of finding another and not trying to make it work with a horse that you have issues with. Coming back is hard and as we get older, well the demons are in place and much harder to get rid of.
                    You are paying good money and it should be fun. Find an instructor and a horse that you can be confident on and have fun!
                    Our heart horse died in 2011 and he was just that a wonderful horse that gave us confidence and he was fun to ride. After losing him finding something was very difficult but we did. they are different but we are getting there. Most of our rides are very good. If they are not it is because of me. The fact that we own him is a BIG difference. we want to make it work he is all we have; you are leasing so you have options...
                    JMHO
                    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
                    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
                    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Comment

• Rubygirl - you are def not alone! We ALL struggle with various riding issues regardless of our level of experience. I'm sorry stuff is so frustrating right now. Just curious- where are you in NC?

Paradox - how's the ankle holding up ?

Jaslyn - any word on the job? Good luck with it all. My the cosmic tumblers all fall into place and you and up where you're supposed to be

Event4life - I swear I just wanna load up the Sea Monster and come ride with you! Sounds like W is just a great fit.

New Englanders sending spring time vibes your way! Nobody likes an early mud season but winter weather is for the ... No, it's not for the birds! That's why they go to Florida and other points south! Lol

Happy riding everyone

Comment

• Ruby - you are SO not alone. My riding life is full of 1 step forward, 100+ back. I too have a leaner and am very familiar with the pissing contest. Two things my trainer taught me - leg forward or hands forward. Make him hold himself up.

Did your trainer explain why the switch from the french link to the plain snaffle? If not, you should ask. Most trainers welcome the "why" questions and are happy to explain.

And I totally understand about the lazy. My current horse is for sale - he needs more quiet and confident than I possess. So, sometimes I get to ride the somewhat lazy "Thou Shalt Not Bang Me in the Mouth, Everything Else is Pretty Much Okay) qh mare. I can, and will, do things with her that I am unable to do on my own horse. Her favorite gait is stop and stand, preferably with snacks - lol. Is it possible that this horse is not the one for you?

I am so sorry about your cat - my old lady is currently on my lap and sends jingles to yours!
                        And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• One of the most important things I've learned now that I'm old and re-riding: don't waste time tryin to make the wrong horse work. Life's too short and horses are too expensive a hobby to "throw effort after foolishness" as my favorite movie curmudgeon once said. There's got to be a measure of peace in it for me. That doesn't mean perfect...I'm just at that point where I'd rather ride one of my trusties than beat myself senseless with wrong critter. I tried a horse about 3-4 months ago who was really sweet but he worst match. It was hard to walk away b/c I was jonesing to ride. Then the Sea Monster fell into my life and for he moment I'm in hog heaven. Thankful for EVERY day since idk how long I'll get to have her (forever if the cards play out right).

All this just to say - though no one really asked me - I'd see what other options might be in the barn before I kept on 1 step fwd 100 back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Finzean View Post
                            Rubygirl - you are def not alone! We ALL struggle with various riding issues regardless of our level of experience. I'm sorry stuff is so frustrating right now. Just curious- where are you in NC?
                            I'm in Asheville. I take it you're in the Piedmont? (What a genius I am, huh?) lol

Originally posted by ivy62 View Post
                            Rubygirl1968 you are not alone. Maybe this horse you are leasing is not a good match for you right now. Since you lease you have the option of finding another and not trying to make it work with a horse that you have issues with. Coming back is hard and as we get older, well the demons are in place and much harder to get rid of.
                            You are paying good money and it should be fun. Find an instructor and a horse that you can be confident on and have fun! JMHO
                            I was thinking about that alot last night. I do want to give it more time - I haven't ridden him that much and I'm leasing him by working it off. Plus I took him on a trail challenge last fall and he was a ton of fun out of the ring - I just don't enjoy the ringwork too much.

Thank you for your honesty though. It is something I have to consider. Riding is too dangerous of a sport not to enjoy it! lol

Originally posted by jaslyn1701 View Post
                            Ruby - you are SO not alone. My riding life is full of 1 step forward, 100+ back. I too have a leaner and am very familiar with the pissing contest. Two things my trainer taught me - leg forward or hands forward. Make him hold himself up.

My mind goes blank sometimes. If it would only come to me when he's doing it!

Did your trainer explain why the switch from the french link to the plain snaffle? If not, you should ask. Most trainers welcome the "why" questions and are happy to explain.

She said the french link wasn't a legal bit if someone wanted to put him in a dressage test. It would be her or his owner - I'm certainly not going to be putting him in anything anytime soon!

And I totally understand about the lazy. My current horse is for sale - he needs more quiet and confident than I possess. So, sometimes I get to ride the somewhat lazy "Thou Shalt Not Bang Me in the Mouth, Everything Else is Pretty Much Okay) qh mare. I can, and will, do things with her that I am unable to do on my own horse. Her favorite gait is stop and stand, preferably with snacks - lol. Is it possible that this horse is not the one for you?

Yes, it very well could be. I'm going to give it some more time but I do have that thought in the back of my mind.

I am so sorry about your cat - my old lady is currently on my lap and sends jingles to yours!
                            Thank you - the jingles for Thomas are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Life's too short and horses are too expensive a hobby to "throw effort after foolishness" as my favorite movie curmudgeon once said. There's got to be a measure of peace in it for me. All this just to say - though no one really asked me - I'd see what other options might be in the barn before I kept on 1 step fwd 100 back.
                              Peace - you got it! But part of my problem is that I don't really know if it's the horse or me. I like trail riding, I don't like ring work. I do realize that I still need to learn to ride before I can really be safe or really enjoy the trail. I mean, safely walk, trot, canter. When I was out on the trail challenge with him last fall it was peaceful - he was a doll. Brave, confident, forward but not too forward.

Although I'm begining to think canter is just a pipe dream.

I don't know if you saw my other post - we were posting at the same time - but I'm working off my lease. I feed for his owner 7 days a week, every evening after work. That's the only way I can afford to lease anything so part of me is also afraid that if I don't have him I won't have anyone to ride.

Money's tight - as it is for everyone. Thank you though. I'm going to give it a little more time before I make a decision. At least until the weather breaks and I can ride him consistently. He does much better when he's ridden at least 3 days a week.

Comment

• "She said the french link wasn't a legal bit if someone wanted to put him in a dressage test. It would be her or his owner - I'm certainly not going to be putting him in anything anytime soon! "

I just did a cursory Google search - um, french links seem to be legal in dressage. Seems to be a common question.

You said you don't like ring work - here's the question you need to ask: Do you not like ring work because of the horse you are riding? Just something else to throw in the pot.
                                And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• Originally posted by rubygirl1968 View Post
                                  It has been a very long time since I posted on this thread and I'm 99.9% sure that you guys are more experience re-riders than me, so I apologize for the book.

I had a lesson yesterday on my lease horse and I feel like I've taken 1 step forward and 100 steps back! My instructor took out the french link snaffle that I bought for him and put his plain snaffle back in, so with that and the fact that he hadn't been ridden in 10 days, I felt like I was just in a pissing contest with him and I was losing!

*sigh* He leans so much on the plain snaffle and I know it's my fault because it takes two to pull, but I don't know how to not do it and I feel like I'm turning into a ham-fisted jerk.

Oh, and a little background so you'll know how little I know - had horses as a kid, rode all over the place but didn't lesson. Started taking lessons a couple of years ago, very sporadically, and quit when my instructor left her barn about 4 months after I started back. Just when I was feeling not so sucky.

There was a horse, Misty, that I was able to ride a little last year but her owner moved her back and I lost her. She and the current horse are like day and night - she was lazy and her favorite gait was walk or jog - the current one is a powerhouse and is favorite gait is trot and as fast as he can.

I would give anything for the lazy again for just a few rides! lol

Maybe I just needed to whine - the vet called me right before I got on the horse and said my cat's bloodwork was worse than it was when he was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. He was diagnosed Sept. 2011.

That's my story - please tell me I'm not alone.
                                  Nope, as others have said, you are so not alone!

My horse sounds a lot like your lease horse - he is very forward and can be very challenging - he also likes to lean. Going on four years together and we still have our moments - some days I dismount very discouraged. Other days are wonderful - I think that is the nature of it.

I try not to think of it as steps back though - I think of each ride as a learning experience - what went right, what went wrong. How could I have made it better? Did I remember to breathe, release all tension? When I'm relaxed, my horse relaxes. Am I pulling on the reins, or holding the reins? If I pull, he pulls. So many things to think about!

In the end though, as frustrated as I may get, I love the challenge and when it's right, when it all clicks, it's just the most amazing feeling ever.

Once you get used to/comfortable with forward, and you will, you won't miss lazy!
                                  Are you able to ride more than once a week? That would help alot - even if you just got on to walk - there is so much you can learn/practice at the walk that is helpful for the other gaits.

Not sure about the french link - I think most are legal - although quite honestly if it makes it easier for you right now, I don't know why that would be an issue. At any rate, I hope your next ride will be better (and they usually are)!

Sorry about your kitty.
                                  Last edited by Tiger Horse; Feb. 7, 2013, 11:07 AM. Reason: correction
                                  http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

Event4life - I swear I just wanna load up the Sea Monster and come ride with you! Sounds like W is just a great fit.
                                    It really, really is the best place I could have asked to live in. I LOVE it here. Only thing I'm struggling with is american style grad school..SOOOOO many assignments and projects and deadlines and discussions and aahhhH (in the UK we had max. one exam and one essay per semester per course) And its all online, which is weird for me because I have never taken an online class. Anyway, I'm getting there. Finzean YOU DEFINITELY should come and visit. Before tourist season starts so we can go riding on the beach!!! Its so amazing! You definitely need to ride a SeaMonster on the beach, lol. Trainer also keeps talking about trailering to Southern (suffering - see, I'm learning the lingo!) Pines as soon as shes able to ride again. Apparently we're going to a hunter pace in Zebulon at some point soon-ish too so that should be fun!

Paradox - I love your story! The good apps, like yours, are the best horses ever, but they can be absolute nightmares. Your guy is gorgeous and sounds like a really cool horse. I swear, horses find us rather even though we look for them.

Rubygirl - I agree with whoever said you should maybe try a different horse. It sounds like the current one is scaring you a bit, and thats not fun when you're just getting used to being back in the saddle. Good luck! There's nothing wrong with wanting to ride the lazy one, they teach us a lot!

I got to ride my 2 faves today :-D. If I could ride these horses every day, every day would be the best day ever. Firstly Jet was awesome - trainer gave me some pointers jumping then we took him to the mini x country course and hopped over a few logs, which was fun. He loved it! Then River, who I wasn't even going to ride but he walked right up to me when I was in the field next door so how could I say no? He was awesome though, now I've spoken to his owner I know a lot more about him so was able to push him a bit harder than I had been doing. He's going to teach me a lot, and I'm hoping to take some Dressage lessons on him since he knows through 3rd level. Its a great opportunity to ride a horse who knows more than I do (I usually ride the green/crazy ones!) and I feel so lucky for it, but also kind of scared because I don't want to mess him up.
                                    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                                    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Event4Life, what school are you going to? (You can PM me if you prefer). And I love to ride trained dressage horses! It's not always as easy as you think it should be if you're not a dressage rider, but I love it.

Rubygirl, I can't see why your trainer would change from his comfortable french link. Maybe ask if you can go back. Maybe he's happier in it.

Had to skip my ride today. Rain. So I will try tomorrow. Hoping each ride makes my ankle stronger.
                                      “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
                                      ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• rubygirl: move to the Piedmont. I have 4 a day to ride and do good to get 1 or 2 done b/c of my whacko schedule and if you need to work off a lease, there are 5 that are eating and pooping. LOL

BTW - french links are definitely okay for dressage. Just recently checked to make sure since I haven't shown in 100 years...still okey dokey.

Event4Life - my Sea Monster probably would take to crashing waves with a little crashing of her own!! lol If I can work it out, I'll road trip. Let me know when your headed to SP. It's a LOT closer than W and I'm headed there for a little foundation time this spring...dont know when, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by rubygirl1968 View Post

I totally understand how you feel. I was just whining on here the other day about being frustrated. I've had some interesting rides this winter and was starting to get annoyed. I was reminded by the kind folk here not to forget to have fun, and it was good advice. I thought long and hard about what I've been doing, and I realized improvement has never really been an ah-ha moment in one lesson for me and there ARE things I have gotten better at (and of course then new problems appear, but that's the game we play). Basically, I think I need to remember to measure my accomplishments over a period of months instead of using each individual lesson as a barometer.

P.S. I don't know what your instincts say, but I went through a phase where I was playing tug of war with a horse and mine were saying leg = forward and pull = slow down, so for the love of God, pull back! So I was trying to pull the horse onto the bridle instead of pushing him into it. Big mistake. Think push, not pull. You may have to force yourself to fight the instinct to pull. I did!

Comment

Working...
                                          X