• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats on the saddle Alterageous! And thanks for the updates, Tarheel and Event4Life. Weather here has been crazy too, and I'm the only person who made it to the barn for this morning's Saturday morning Adult group. There was a little snow and that was enough to bring out the worst in many, most, or maybe ALL, Tennessee drivers (except for me of course, because I grew up in Chicago.) Lots of facebook posts from friends who were stuck at their houses, or stuck in traffic. Not fun for them at all. We had a good lesson, and my horse has been cleared to add our Tuesday group lesson to his work schedule. That gets me off school and sale horses. In retrospect, riding many different horses helped my riding, and was a big part of getting me through my horse's rehab. We're even starting to think about showing again. Maybe in May if things go well.
    It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

• I'm writing horse trials on my calendar and making purchases in my old eventing colors. Is this crazy or what?? But I'm just fixated on the idea and have been having actual dreams where I'm killing the water complex. I need someone to remind me I'm not 20 anymore....

Event4Life - VERY different ideas about suitable riding weather!! Lol suitable riding weather is 68-74 degrees and sunny with only the lightest of breezes so the horse's mane is dreamily lifted off its neck to flutter in the wind!!

Comment

• Wow - a lot has happened!

First - finally got my unemployment $ so the wolf has left my door! Course, ended up having to replace my water heater, but it was not as pricey as it could have been. Love friends in the plumbing business! And, now that I can take real showers can get back to being serious about job hunting.

On a somewhat down note - after talking to my trainer, my horse is up for sale, for a number of reasons. One, until I have a job, I can't afford to keep him. Second, if he and I clicked in the saddle the way we do on the ground, there would no better match ever. But we don't. And he needs somebody who can ride him at least 4 or 5 days a week and I usually only get to ride on weekends. I am bummed about it since he is my first horse, but its the best for both of us. It's sad, because I have always loved TB's and my dream was to own one - maybe just not this one.

Today, Trainer's mom (who is here visiting) rode my horse and I rode Ms. Do Not Bang Me in the Mouth. From haltering to mounting, she was pretty clear that working was not on her agenda - she checked her schedule - eat hay, wander around, eat hay. Work - nope. But, once we got going, she cooperated. And, (trumpets blaring) I managed to get her to canter a whole circle today - and it was quite round.

Let me explain - this little mare requires LEG. If you even think about relaxing, she slows to the walk. LOL. So, the times I have tried to canter a whole circle (straits are fine), I "lose" her somewhere along the line. Not today!
        And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• jaslyn1701 That's wonderful news on the unemployment front not so much in the hot water tank front and horse front .

I got a strange call from my BO yesterday.. She asked if I had made my payment thought the bank as I always do (you know the bank cuts the cheque then send it to her). I said yes yesterday the 1st, she asked is there a way I could possibly stop the cheque and she would pick it up today.
          It appears that her mailman has quit delivering mail to her for some reason. Could be that she only empties her mail box once every few weeks or something like that but still. I didn't think that they could do that. She works all day literally and I at the barn most of the evening so picking up the mail is the last thing on her mind and I don't blame her. When I live out of town I would go a week or so with out picking up my mail also, until I got an anal neighbor who did it for me...

But anyway as we were talking another reason I love my BO most BO's/BM's would call and rant and scream at you if your horse were to remove their stall door when they were kept in when the temps were so low that turning them out might be hazardous. Mine just happen to mention it when I asked how Toby was. she said " the fart removed his stall door at the hinges. I still have to fix it but other than that he is ok ." I had to ask he to repeat that cuz I wasn't sure I heard correctly.. So she did laughing.. I said I would be out to fix it as soon as I could but I had to find a place ect.. And get this she may have found the only place for rent she is getting the particulars it is in the same place as her DD lives. But back to story.. she said if you want but my fault and right now he is fine with a stall guard.

Gonna have to get that woman a huge thanks for every thing gift as soon as the move is done...
          Friend of bar .ka

Comment

• bumknees - I love your BO! Sounds like the kind of person to just take it all in stride. We need more folks like that...in just about every walk of life!

Comment

• Originally posted by Finzean View Post
              I'm writing horse trials on my calendar and making purchases in my old eventing colors. Is this crazy or what?? But I'm just fixated on the idea and have been having actual dreams where I'm killing the water complex. I need someone to remind me I'm not 20 anymore....

Event4Life - VERY different ideas about suitable riding weather!! Lol suitable riding weather is 68-74 degrees and sunny with only the lightest of breezes so the horse's mane is dreamily lifted off its neck to flutter in the wind!!
              hahaaha whereas in Edinburgh if we waited for weather like that to ride we'd be lucky if we rode twice a year! I'm getting used to it. I will ride tomorrow though even if its "only" 50 out. & you should definitely let me know if you're ever in the area - I'll take you on a beach ride :-D.
              "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
              "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Originally posted by Finzean View Post
                bumknees - I love your BO! Sounds like the kind of person to just take it all in stride. We need more folks like that...in just about every walk of life!
                Totally agree!
                http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• So, I had a great & very interesting lesson today. We were working on a grid, walk in and canter out. It was a ground pole, one stride to a cross rail and two strides to a vertical. Once we got that going in a fairly nice rhythm, trainer added another two stride to an oxer. First attempt, I forgot to ride - big run out on the last fence - ended up hanging off the side, but somehow managed to get back in the saddle. 2nd attempt - run out second fence - managed to stay on again! 3rd attempt, I got my act together and we got thru it. Trainer said I could do better - 4th attempt was a thing of beauty - a fist pump and victory gallop later we were done! Needless to say staying on and getting it done was a real confidence boost. Not to mention we were working in a bit that had I used last winter, I would have had real control issues and the grid was setup going in his stronger direction. I think I am finally learning to ride my horse!!
                  http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• bumknees, how awful! Some people just have a need to fill their lives with useless drama. Ignore it, and live happily.

Dewey - good luck! I've read a lot of good things about the "pop rocks."

I have felt stalled many times in my riding since I've come back. It always starts progressing again. Find some new things to do, like others suggested. I've found that when I stopped being so hard on myself, and didn't take things as seriously, my often-mental roadblock disappeared.

I've been having some GREAT success with Ollie lately in getting him off the forehand and more responsive. he can now sidepass too, thanks to my exercises. (and big thanks to Findeight on COTH for helping me with some ideas to help Ollie out). He's really enjoying new exercises, and I'm hoping all of this will help him jump better with more control and now heave so much. He needs to muscle up and build his hind-end endurance, but it's a work in progress

A whiny, ridiculous first-world-problem moment: a new OTTB came to our barn without a barn name. The owner decided to name him Oliver. Boo! We already have an Oliver! MY guy :-P
                    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

• PH, That's great about the progress you and Ollie are making.

I don't blame you for feeling annoyed about the name. It's not as if her horse already came with that name. She could easily have picked something else.
                      I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Jaslyn, I'm glad the wolf has left your door, but I'm so sorry to hear that you have to put Finn up for sale.

You seem very philosophical about it; is that accurate? Are you really OK with this?
                        I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• jaslyn, hope all works out for the best. It's never easy to decide to sell. Well, I guess sometimes it is! But I wish you the best! Keep us posted.

PH, I would hate someone having the same name for their horse. I can feel pretty protective of my names, haha. So I definitely understand where you're coming from. Maybe it will end up with a name change. That happens sometimes, names don't stick. Maybe you can come up with a new name for the new horse and maybe it will catch on!

TigerHorse, your gridwork accomplishment sounds awesome!! Nothing like making yourself HAVE to ride correctly! Good job.

Finzean, what are your colors??

pony4me, glad your horse is cleared for group lessons. That'll be fun for you! It makes a difference being able to ride your own horse again. Very cool. Keep us posted if you show. Maybe I will see you out there somewhere this year!
                          “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
                          ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Well, yesterday it was somewhat decent here, and I finally got my horse tacked up and rode! My husband lunged him for about ten minutes first to be sure he was level headed. I shouldn't have worried, he's almost always level headed. But didn't want to deal with speed if I didn't have to.

Well, I got out there and got a leg up. I'm not gonna lie, it hurt to have my foot in the stirrup and posting. So I did a lot of posting with only my good foot in the stirrup. Hard to balance that way, but it was really hard to do it any other way. The weird thing is, before I got my cast on, even with the broken ankle, it did not hurt riding. So I guess it's all the tendons and ligaments that are needing to stretch and flex better because they were immobile for so long! Sigh. I was hoping for better, but we'll get there. The new boots are stiff, too, so maybe that is part of it. But, I guess it's still good news because I got to ride, and that in itslef was wonderful!
                            “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
                            ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Yay, Paradox!

Comment

• Paradox, YAY!!! for riding! Give it time - I am sure as your muscles get used to it again you'll be more comfortable. Did you ride in your western saddle or english? Maybe the stirrups were too short so too much pressure was on the balls of your feet? Have you looked into those flex stirrups - I have them and definitely notice a difference when I don't use them.

I'm sure (well I hope) you've all ridden "that" horse. The one you get on and feel like you could jump the moon, flat out gallop across a field, ride anywhere and they wouldn't blink an eye. They practically predict what you're asking before you ask it, but still wait for you to ask anyway. They take a joke. For me, these horses always seem to be the most seemingly unlikely candidates, and few and far between. This time, its a 14.3-ish Quarter Horse ex (apparently) champion barrel racer. His name is Jet, and he ROCKS. It's so nice to finally be riding a horse I can trust & have real fun with :-D. There's both a show and a hunter pace coming up in the next few months so hopefully I'll actually be able to go to one or both.
                                "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                                "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Dewey - yes and no. Knowing something is the right thing to do does not make it any easier. And, I guess, if you were to be technical, he is not my first horse - the first was one at the same barn, a few years ago, who, because I took care of him when he was hurt a couple of times, declared himself mine. But Finn is the first horse I ever bought, and I know people say horses come and horses go, but I really hadn't planned on having to shop again in my later 50's. Thank you.

On another, more positive note, I interviewed for a job today that I really, really want. Love it when a potential employer asks what you are looking for, you say the number, they nod, say that's doable and could probably do better! And there are quarterly bonuses!!!! I should know within two weeks - so fingers, toes, eyes, etc. crossed for me, please!

Comment

• PH I would be really annoyed about the name thing too. She could have picked any other name, not YOUR horse's name. Sheesh.

Jaslyn good luck with the job. Let us know how it turns out. All digits crossed for you

Comment

• Good luck, Jaslyn!

I am on vacation at the moment (heavenly!!)

I can't wait to go back and ride though. I have a lesson on Friday. Last time I was so sore I gimped my way up stairs for three days after. I am so out if shape from not riding regularly it is embarrassing.
                                      Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                                      you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• Yay Paradox!!! Good weather today too I think. I'm having myself an Advil cocktail before I man up!! Lol

Dewey - best wishes!!

Will come back and read more later - farm critters, laundry, and the job that pays for the critter feed are waitin on me.

Comment

• Jaslyn, that's great news! Good thoughts headed your way. And I completely understand about the knowing it's the right thing to do in your head, but it's still hard. I've been through that, and it IS tough. You do find a sense of peace with it more after it's happened though. Time always seems to be a great bringer of additional perspective.
                                          Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

Working...
                                          X