• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Event4Life View Post

Everyone (who boards) - If you wouldn't mind weighing in, how much a month do you spend on your horse? This is including EVERYTHING - board, lessons, insurance, extra cash aside for vet instances, shots, dental stuff, farrier, etc. I'm planning on saving up and while I do obviously have a vague idea some real life experience would be helpful! I'd say horse cost here is probably "average" - not way overpriced but not exceedingly cheap either. I know that caring is often way more than purchase price, so want to know realistically how much extra I'd need/month after buying.

All told if you divide it all out it comes to about $980 per month. I really wish I hadn't calculated that. I am going to start half leasing out my horse to cut the costs.

Completely unrelated: I finally got realistic with myself and pointed out that I don't have a need for fancy tall boots for the 4x a year local shows that I do. As a compromise, I treated myself to new paddock boots and Tucci half chaps. With spurs on, you can't tell, and this way I can change out (for much less $$) the calf when my weight changes, which I am hoping it does this year by a lot.
    Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
    you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• Originally posted by ClassyRide View Post

PaintedHunter – omg, how ADORABLE is that high-fiving video!!! Now I’m going to *have* to teach my coming 3 year old to do that (I think she’s the only one of my 3 that could pick it up easily ‘cause she’s as much of a ham as it sounds like Ollie is). Thank you SO MUCH for sharing that!
      Glad you liked it The hard part has been teaching him to not WHACK me - we needed more finesse so he doesn't take my arm off - he's a big guy! We're now at the point where he responds to every verbal command to high-five, with gusto...it took a lot of me smacking him on the shoulder with a crop every time he either offered without me asking (could get dangerous), or him aggressively pawing instead of a gentle high-five. He's caught onto it all very quickly- much more quickly than I would have thought. He LOVES food, and loves attention- I am sure you can see his ears happily flop when I tell him "good boy."
      Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

• I KNOW this is silly....BUT...

I had the BEST time last night doing....what? Grooming my horse. I know that sounds really goofy, but I've been on crutches for three months and just recently got the aircast and slowly started to put weight on the ankle. I'm now walking in the boot. Last night was the first time I was able to get my horse out (with hubby's help), put him in cross ties, and just groom him. Awww. He was such a good boy. But it is weird how that can be enjoyable. I picked his hooves, groomed, picked through his tail to get all the sticks out, etc. It was therapeutic.

I may have posted the pic before, but here is my boy. LOVE this horse. He's such a good "pony". I can't wait to ride. http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...ump/photo6.jpg

A few more: http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...p/DSCF0152.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...hicoFlat-1.jpg
        “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
        ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Super cute, ParadoxFarm.
          Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
          you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• Event4Life - I'll have to pick some of that up. Hope to hit a "new to me" tack/consignment store this weekend (still looking for field boots that fit), hopefully they will have some.

I really, really don't want to do a monthly breakdown - so, here are costs (roughly):

Board - $125 (Board: $425 - $300(shareboarder))
            Extra hay - $40 (I buy my own extra - long story)
            Ultimate Finsh (50 lbs): $40? (can't remember - lasts about 100 days, as a half pound a day seems to keep his weight just right)

Supplements - approx every 60 days or so:

MSM: $15.00
            Hoof: $35.00

Shoes (every 6 wks) - $150
            Chiro (every 6-8 wks) - $120 (this will be tapering off)
            Dentist (checked 2 times per year) - $55

Insurance: $500/year
            Lessons: pack of five (1/2 hour, private) $130

ParadoxFarm - he's lovely and no, you are not goofy. I love to groom.
            http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• My costs:

$300 pasture board
              $20 a month own special feed (Triple Crown Lite...only gets a bit a day)
              $40 every six weeks for farrier- just a trim, as he's barefoot
              about $45 a month in supplements - electrolyte, hoof and Probios for his "juicy butt"
              $20 in treats (both packaged and apples/carrots)
              about $70 for two group lessons per month right now (probably to increase)
              averages out to about $100 monthly for all yearly vet expenses

so, that totals about $600 a month. But do I spend more? YES! Organized rail rides we have to trailer to, local showing, new tack, clothes and equipment for me, etc. comes out to at least $100 more a month, and up to $400 or so more. But those are tame-able expenses, if I reaaaaally wanted to. But I don't.
              Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

• Dewey - I do believe horses have souls, dogs and cats too. Otherwise, how could animals that give so much and expect nothing much in return exist?

On a side note - I wrote after Thanksgiving about the loss of our barn pony, ahem gigantic horse, Mojo. The oddest thing happened - the day after Thanksgiving, a dog showed up at the farm, some sort of American Bulldog thing. Had a collar, no tags. Happy, happy dog - just moved right in. He has been named Hedley, as in Hedley Lamar, "That's Hedley, you fool". The discussion at the barn is: Did Mojo send him to help mitigate the loss of him?

Paradox - you are not silly. Some of the best times I have had were just grooming Finn. We have some serious discussions during those times!

I hate riding in the cold too - at my age, my limit is more in the 50's.

Event4life: Here's my info:
                Board: $350 (It's full board, 2x day feed, all the hay he can eat mostly, turn out in the am/brought in in the pm, blanket on/off as needed).
                Feet: $35 every six weeks (no shoes thank goodness)
                Vet: Shots 2x per year @ approx. $100 each
                Supplements: Not on any at present. But if needed, I provide.
                Lessons: $140 for 4 privates (but not doing any right now. Explanation to follow)
                Dentist: Checked 2x per year - not sure of cost, call it $85x2
                Chiro: $85 every four months or so
                And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• My costs are similar to what PaintedHunter posted above. I spend more on the farrier and a little less on board.
                  I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Why I am not in lessons:

I lost my job in September, well, I didn't lose it, I know where it is, it just doesn't belong to me anymore. I, of course, applied for unemployment. My former employer contested my claim, after Emp. specifically told me there would be no contest. So, I had to appeal it and the hearing was yesterday. Employer did not appear, so, by default, I "win". So, when that is finalized and I get the back pay, plus going forward, will see about lessons. I need them!!!
                    And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• jaslyn, sorry to hear of your unemployment troubles. A couple of friends have been bitten like that, too.

Paradox, your horse is quite the handsome one. And yes, grooming time is so "worth it."

Currently contemplating whether I am *really* going to go to the barn tonight... It will be around 10 degrees F by the time I get there, wind chill of -4.

ETA: you really don't want to know what I spend on Miss Horse. Start with $750/month board, and just go up from there.
                      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

• Thanks for everyone's kind comments.
                        ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Paradox - what a lovely boy! Appaloosas are the best :-D!

Everyone - thanks very much for the info, I'm glad I wasn't THAT unrealistic when I worked out costs! I'm also very, very glad I chose this area vs. some of the others I was considering (Boston [sorry quietann!] and Washington, DC - LOL).

I had another awesome barn day today. It started out having lunch w/ the trainer, which was a good time! I then headed out to the stables and rode Dustytheapp, who was a very good boy but has a long way to go. I also got to ride one of the awesome "lesson horses" (really far too good for it!), did w/t/c/j & had the most fun I've had on a horse in a looooong time. Everyone should have such cool school horses to ride. He's turned out with Dusty, and I told him to go and tell Dusty how to be a #1 lesson horse, lol. I ended with groundwork & lunging with future potential TB project horse, as by the time I got to him the BM had left & I didn't want to ride with no one else there. He's such a cutie though, he saw me coming down the lane and headed straight for the gate. The trainer calls him pathetic haha, poor guy.

In other news, during lunch the trainer offered me an actual paying JOB. WHOOP!!!!! Trail guide extraordinaire at your service :-D. Have I mentioned how glad I am I moved here & how much I love my new home????

Writing all this out is making me realize I need to start a blog!
                          "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                          "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Awesome, Event4life! Did you accept the job? If so, congrats!!

Sounds like an awesome day riding. Good for you.
                            ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
                              Awesome, Event4life! Did you accept the job? If so, congrats!!

Sounds like an awesome day riding. Good for you.

Yep I accepted it, & am taking a group out on Sunday!!
                              "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                              "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Great! Have fun with it.
                                ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Event4Life - How COOL is that?!?! Congrats!!

Paradox - what an awesome critter!! And I love having Day to Beauy-Tay at the barn! Everyone gets super groomed. The only 2 that ever fail to impress if they're super filthy and/or shaggy are the octoroons. Now that they've greyed out to white, their skill at grinding crap (sometimes literal crap) into their coats has evolved to a whole 'nutha level. If they were showing, I'd have to find some sort of Ronco white/grey hair bald spot spray and cover them head to toe!! LOL

Comment

• Wonderful news event4life
                                    To answer the boarding question..
                                    Board: 250 month includes feeding 2xs day hay , stall cleaning, BO F/farrier who chec and trims as/if needed. Will add supplements if necessary unless i want to add something special then it is on me.
                                    Vet: I do as needed for teeth and Coggins. I do shots except the one required by law by vet.
                                    Blanketing and misc: she does it and has them. Haven't had to purchase them BO supplies them to all the boarders.
                                    Show blankets and stuff: all on me.
                                    Transport to shows: local free more than,20 miles 50$ .
                                    Friend of bar .ka

Comment

• Congrats Event4Life!!

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• I think I'm getting "old & cranky" . . . a vent

All lessons were cancelled last night - which is OK, because it was really cold and I can understand why my trainer didn't want to stand around for hours. However, I've been itching to get back into my new saddle - so, I rode.

Dodger was VERY forward, but for the most part managable - bless his heart, he tries so hard to be a good boy. At one point we had two horses lunging - both let loose a couple of times, luckily at separate times and we handled that OK.

Finally, one horse being lunged was done and left indoor. Second horse (Louie) finished up and rider mounted. In the meantime another rider entered the indoor - a new shareboarder, a very capable teenaged rider, on one of the school horses. So that made three of us - a very doable number - usually. All three horses are thoroughbreds, all pretty forward. Situation was great - until - teenager started hand galloping. It wouldn't have been so bad if it had just been a circuit or two, but she just kept going and going. Needless to say, Dodger and Louie got pretty worked up. We eventually ended up just chilling out in the middle of the indoor until she was done. I hope this is not going to become the norm. Maybe I'm over reacting or maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but I thought it was bit inconsiderate. Sorry, just had to get that out.

Comment

• Oh my goodness, Paradox! Your boy is GORGEOUS!!! And there’s no need at all to feel silly about that – I feel like sometimes my horses and I bond more during grooming sessions than any other time.

You know, even though I’ve never owned one, I’ve had a thing for Appaloosas for years. Seeing your boy’s photos brought back memories of my friend Ashley’s horse. His name was Buddy, and he looked *very* similar to your boy except his base color was chestnut, not bay. But he roaned in a similar way and had those awesome big spots on his butt. Anyway, Buddy made me fall in love with the breed. When he was young, Ashley had barrel raced and done other gaming things with him. By the time I started re-riding, though, he was old and mostly blind. But Ashley would stick me on him for trail rides and he took great care of my beginner-butt. Blind or not, he was a spectacular horse and so kind. A little stubborn or opinionated at times, but always safe. I would *love* to have an Appy just like Buddy someday.

If you don’t mind me asking – what is your boy’s breeding? Because the next time I’m in the market for a new horse, I’d like to try to find an Appy sporthorse.
                                          ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
                                          4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

Working...
                                          X