• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be heading to several tack stores this weekend - plan on testing quite a few!
    http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• Tiger Horse, you should probably have a saddle fitter come out to look at your horse...or work with someone with saddle-fitting experience. As a long-time Stubben rider, I'm in favor of the Stubben Roxane S, but you have to be sure it will fit the horse. (I actually ride in a Stubben Siegfried, which I bought used in 1979!--That gives you an idea of the quality.) My dream saddle is the Stubben Roxane VSS, which has a shorter, straighter flap than the Roxane S. Love the deep seat, though. I know the trend now is for a close-contact saddle with a shallow, soft seat, but I love a saddle with blocks and a deep seat that is going to hold me in. Maybe I will start saving up for my dream saddle...I am certainly not getting any younger.
      I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewey View Post
        Tiger Horse, you should probably have a saddle fitter come out to look at your horse...or work with someone with saddle-fitting experience. As a long-time Stubben rider, I'm in favor of the Stubben Roxane S, but you have to be sure it will fit the horse. (I actually ride in a Stubben Siegfried, which I bought used in 1979!--That gives you an idea of the quality.) My dream saddle is the Stubben Roxane VSS, which has a shorter, straighter flap than the Roxane S. Love the deep seat, though. I know the trend now is for a close-contact saddle with a shallow, soft seat, but I love a saddle with blocks and a deep seat that is going to hold me in. Maybe I will start saving up for my dream saddle...I am certainly not getting any younger.
        Dewey - I would love to have a saddle fitter out, in fact one of the tack shops I plan on visiting this weekend has a pretty good one, and I will ask about an appt while I am there. I have had a few Stubbens over the years and they are lovely, my favorite was a Siegfried - too bad I sold it years ago! Even though I am not tall (5' 5") I do seem to need a more forward flap. And yes, I want blocks and a deep seat - funny how the older you get, the stronger the sense of self preservation!

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• Double post
          Last edited by Tiger Horse; Jan. 17, 2013, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• I'm new to this forum - Hi all! I'm so happy this is here!

My re-rider adventure is beginning...

Backstory: I bought a new horse in August, a 7yr. old OTTB gelding with some retraining. He promptly got sick so i couldn't ride him much but we bonded in the pasture at home, and after a few trail rides at home, I've put him in training at a local barn. He's doing very well, is polite, getting more beans as he adds pounds, but is such a gentleman...

I had my first group lesson on him today (my second time riding him in an arena), and all I can say is... wow. Those years off and kids in the meantime have thrown my game when it comes to riding. On the trail it's easier to gloss over my weaknesses, but they came fully into focus today. Wits (Witness) was great, but I was ALL over the place.

So that's my vent. Confirmation of what I hoped wasn't true - that I have to start all over again. Luckily, I *love* this horse and he appears to love me, so we'll get through it together - it's just hard to help a horse learn balance when you can't keep it yourself. Or feel when he's picked up the wrong lead. Or feel when he's picked up a lead for each end. *sigh* He's such a great horse I don't want to screw him up. His trainer is super psyched about him, and her mother held the lesson today - I think she was surprised at how awkward I was in the saddle! Argh! Classic mid-life re-rider drama.

Comment

• Welcome, Tommy's Girl! Sounds like to have a really nice horse. And we all feel out of sorts when starting back. I think you made the right decision in putting him in training AND taking lessons. You'll get there. . Any pics of Wits?
              “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
              ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Hello, I am new to this message board. I rode a little as a kid, and have been riding almost 1 year now as an adult. I just bought my second horse today and a very excited for the learning process!! I am going to be showing hunter this summer. Any advice?

Comment

• Hello Everyone!!

Another re-rider here, been back in the saddle for about 6 months now. I grew up riding western and now my dream is to event, so I have to learn how to jump and ride dressage after about 13 or so years off (I can't even remember how old I was when I stopped riding originally).

I have been taking 3 lessons a week, 2 at a h/j barn as I felt that would be the best place for me to learn how to jump and 1 at an eventing barn trying to learn dressage. I feel like I've been making so much progress at the jumping lessons, I definitely look forward to the days that I can go to the barn. I've moved up through the lesson horses and now I'm on a difficult mare that lets you know right away if you do one little thing wrong. She is definitely helping me improve my riding. Also, she can jump the moon, although I haven't actually tested her on that one I've seen others do it.

Dressage is a different story, I know how much it can help me in the long run, but I feel that I am just learning it so I can go to an event, maybe this summer maybe next summer, who knows. It's very frusturating to go to my dressage lessons and feel like I haven't made any progress.

Today, I decided to take a jumping lesson at the eventing barn. I wanted to see what the different teaching styles were like. I do not think it went well at all, which is very discouraging because I feel that I do so well at the h/j barn. I don't know if I really haven't learned anything during my lessons at the other facility, or today was just a bad day. Actually just yesterday I had my lesson at the h/j barn and it was fantastic. Today, I felt like I couldn't keep my legs still, I was flopping forward anticipating when the horse would jump and just not very secure in the saddle. I worry that I'm not advancing as fast as I would like. Do other people see the same frusturations of inconsistent riding?

There was also a discussion today if I should try and half lease, which I'm thinking is going to be a good idea. I really like the instruction at the h/j barn so I will continue my lessons there, but then half lease an eventer to hopefully work on my dressage and take the ocassional jump lesson at the eventing barn.

Anyway, thanks for reading through my sob story about my riding. Hoping to keep everyone updated with progress!

Comment

• Hi Paradox,

Thanks for the welcome (I see two other newbies have joined this evening!)

Pics of my gorgeous guy, but not under saddle:
                    http://s1263.beta.photobucket.com/us...ction/library/

He's handsome! LOL I can and can't wait to get video of my riding him. I'm hoping that will be Monday, then I'll go home and sob over it... LOL

Comment

• Rotti Mom, Geno,

Pics please! I showed mine... I'm a newbie but glad for others in this boat. Reriders unite!

Comment

• Rottimom, welcome. My best advice is to have fun! That's why we do this. Are you taking lessons?

Geno, welcome. Let me ask you, did you ride the same horse at the h/j lesson and the event jumping lesson? Same tack? And I will say that dressage is probably the hardest discipline. Keep up with it because dressage can win your event. .

Tommy's Girl, your horse is lovely! I love the conformation shot. Very, very pretty!
                        ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
                          Geno, welcome. Let me ask you, did you ride the same horse at the h/j lesson and the event jumping lesson? Same tack? And I will say that dressage probably the hardest discipline. Keep up with it because dressage can win your event. .
                          No, the horse in my jumping lesson today I've only ridden once in a dressage lesson. Also, i dont think the saddle fit quite right. The h/j lessons are at a different barn, the mare that I ride is a big warmblood with a ground eating stride that loves to jump. The horse today is a little paint gelding that I'm probably a foot taller with a short quick stride. I got him going at the end, just wondering if it would have been better if he would have been so forward from the beginning.

Comment

• Greetings "newbies"! This is an awesome group - glad I stumbled upon it. So good to know I'm not the only one who struggles with no longer bouncing off the ground, worrying over not being able to get (fill in body part) to do (fill in task).

Comment

• I am anxious about Sky. During the past week, the BO told me she has been on and off her feed and going down in her stall more than usual. Not overtly colicky but NQR. She seemed normal on Friday went I went to see her, and we thought she was over whatever it was, but I just got a call from the BO, and she is acting sick again. She gave her banamine and called me. We decided to call the vet, who is on the way. Will let you all know what he says.
                              I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewey View Post
                                I am anxious about Sky. During the past week, the BO told me she has been on and off her feed and going down in her stall more than usual. Not overtly colicky but NQR. She seemed normal on Friday went I went to see her, and we thought she was over whatever it was, but I just got a call from the BO, and she is acting sick again. She gave her banamine and called me. We decided to call the vet, who is on the way. Will let you all know what he says.
                                Good luck, Dewey.

We've been having some unseasonably warm days followed by VERY cold nights here and the horses have been acting strange.
                                Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                                you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alterageous View Post
                                  Good luck, Dewey.

We've been having some unseasonably warm days followed by VERY cold nights here and the horses have been acting strange.
                                  Ditto and same here. Tomorrow's high 19!

Thursday jump lesson was a no go - my trainer forgot. It's all good tho because now I have one tomorrow, better when I haven't worked all day. Also, have a saddle on trial to try - lovely Crown cc - nice deep seat, decent knee block. Also gusseted, so should be a good fit for my guy. Saddle fitter was really helpful and although this saddle is a bit out of my price range, I can make an offer. Excited to see how it rides.

PS also got a new helmet - ended up with a nice Troxel.
                                  Last edited by Tiger Horse; Jan. 19, 2013, 10:50 PM. Reason: Added ps

Comment

• Good luck, Dewey. Fingers are crossed. Keep us posted.

Tiger Horse, good luck with your lesson.
                                    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• GL, Dewey.

I couldn't get to the barn today as I had kiddie duty. Next week is supposed to be wicked cold, so I don't think I'll be riding until the week after! Darn it.

Comment

• Oh Dewey. I hope everything is okay with Sky. My horse did this last week too. Please let us know what the vet says.

Comment

• Welcome to all the New Re-Riders!

Dewey - I hope everything is ok with Sky. Please let us know after the vet comes out.
                                          And nothing bad happened!

Comment

Working...
                                          X