• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great video,Tiger Horse. You and your horse look great!
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Go Tiger Horse! You look great :-D
      "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
      "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Good job Tiger Horse! He looks like a forward, though responsive, ride. You did a great job staying with him and keeping him from rushing! Glad you had fun most importantly

Finzean - thank you, I love the grays too! I'm loving the charcoal too, and hopefully he won't gray out *too* quickly. He's going to be 5 in the spring, so I hope he'll be a gorgeous dapple gray by the time he's 7 or 8, when I hope to have us both at top form

I'm so excited for my new guy to come tomorrow! I promise I'll take pictures. I can't wait. He's so sweet and lovable and I can't wait to hug him and show him off. He's got a trot and canter to DIE for. I have a video from when I tried him but I'll try to get a better one next week once we settle in. He still has to recover from his gelding, so I won't hop on and do much until next week.

Comment

• Thanks everyone! Lots to work on, of course, but it's a start. Pancakes - he can be very forward - but, I have learned to appreciate it rather than fear it! The good thing is, that if you point him at it, he will jump it, which is a real confidence boost for me. Plan until my next lesson - live in two point and shorten my reins!!
          http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• Wow, so many things going on! Great!
            I hope everybody has a great start at 2013.

Loving my new life in Florida, but of course I'm back to being horseless since my big boy stayed in France where he's receiving great care from my dad (who gave me the horse-loving bug) and being regularly ridden by friends. I miss him a lot but it feels good to be back.
            Florida is great at this time of the year... I'm dreading the summer heat and humidity, we shall see...
            If anybody is in the Tampa area, send me a PM, I literally don't know a soul around here so it would be good to make new friends!
            Amandine

https://www.facebook.com/VoltaireDesign

Comment

• Tiger Horse, you look great, and can I say how lovely your horse is?? Love that canter.

Pancakes, I'm dying to see photos of you and your new guy! I am Team Grey too Ollie was 9 last year when I got him and was a LOVELY dapple grey, but I hate how much whiter he has become in just 7 months! I'm sure living outside doesn't help, but I think his days of dark legs and dark substantial dapples are over SIGH. Now I'm hoping for flea-bitten!
              Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiger Horse View Post
                Thanks everyone! Lots to work on, of course, but it's a start. Pancakes - he can be very forward - but, I have learned to appreciate it rather than fear it! The good thing is, that if you point him at it, he will jump it, which is a real confidence boost for me. Plan until my next lesson - live in two point and shorten my reins!!
                Forward horses can be scary, but can also be confidence givers depending on how you ride them...You guys obviously have a great grounding in flatwork, and it definitely showed in the video o/f. One suggestion my trainer had about releasing over fences on the more forward ones goes along with your resolution to shorten your reins, because with shorter reins you'll find it much less scary to put your hands further up his neck.

2 point practice over poles on the ground really helps too. One exercise we did ALL THE TIME when I was a WS was to change the position of our jumping position in all gaits - so you'd go from standing almost straight up in your stirrups and closing the angle a bit for every "position" - there were 5 different ones. I think this is more of an eventer exercise but useful for helping figure out your balance whatever discipline you fall.
                "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Paintedhunter - Thank you, he is the horse of my dreams! I have had Dodger 4 years, purchased him from my trainer, and although the first couple of years were pretty frustrating - I'm glad I stuck it out.

Event4Life - thank you so much for the suggestions - I better stock up on the Advil!! (Although I'm not as sore as I though I would be today.) Our main focus, the past four years, had been dressage and it did really help last night.

A fellow boarder is going to a mini-event this spring . . . she's already trying to get me to go along!

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• I need to vent a bit, folks... hope you don't mind!

Feronia and I have not jumped since she went lame in October. She's perfectly sound now (with new shoes and heel support, as it appears she may have had mild laminitis sometime in the past) and I may be back to it as soon as tomorrow

But. I am stuck. My two trainers are fed up. Every ride (except the "extra special spicy Morgan" ones) starts with a big fight to get her forward and through (remember I am more focused on dressage.) This is the stuff I should be able to deal with in warm-up, before the lesson (both trainers expect their students/horses to arrive ready to go to real work.) I know what to do but it doesn't work so well when I am not being coached. In fact the trainers are fed up because we're spending at least half of every lesson on it. Once we're there -- usually after I've whaled on her a bit and she knows I'm serious -- she's awesome. But getting there.... ugh.

She's fine physically, saddle fits, been tested for Lyme and came back negative, etc. She's got her usual routine for winter aches (she has arthritis, just like me.) Put a good rider on her, and she caves within 10 minutes. With me, it's constant "do I haf-ta?" until I can get her to decide that yes, she has-ta!

We're trail riding a lot, which is good for us, but to some degree is an avoidance strategy for me. I get a little bit of attitude heading out, and once again it can take a while before she gets that she has-ta. She doesn't do anything horrible -- no whirling and trying to return to the barn, no planting her feet and refusing to move; the worst she does is turn her head back slightly while slowing her walk. But I am working way too hard in the meantime.

This is a very, very smart mare, and yes she "has my number" to some degree, though it's much better than it used to be (if constant nagging questions are better than explosions, that is.) Putting a target in front of her -- ground poles or a little jump -- helps, some.

just venting. She's really quite awesome, an angel on the ground, and very fun to ride when she's decided to cooperate.
                    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

• I can understand your vent quietann. I know it can get frustrating. I do think, however, your trainers are being too impatient with you and your horse. I think they should be willing and happy to work on whatever you and your horse needs. Obviously you want the coaching during the rough spots and I think that is when the trainer should be willing to work with you. Is it possible to find a trainer that wouldn't mind working more on the warmup issues? Good luck! You'll get there.
                      “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
                      ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Milloute55, welcome to the States. Are you originally from the States, or is this your first time here? Sorry, I'm not in Florida. I used to live there and really wasn't a big fan. Way too hot. I'm in TN and it's still too hot in the summertime. . Now, I would love to go to France.
                        “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
                        ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
                          I can understand your vent quietann. I know it can get frustrating. I do think, however, your trainers are being too impatient with you and your horse. I think they should be willing and happy to work on whatever you and your horse needs. Obviously you want the coaching during the rough spots and I think that is when the trainer should be willing to work with you. Is it possible to find a trainer that wouldn't mind working more on the warmup issues? Good luck! You'll get there.
                          quietann - I agree with what ParadoxFarm said! What are lessons for but to tackle problem areas - whatever that may be. Or, have you tried warming her up on the lunge line in side reins? A fellow boarder found that very effective with her mare - who sounds like she has a very similiar personality to your mare. Best of luck to you!

Comment

• Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
                            I can understand your vent quietann. I know it can get frustrating. I do think, however, your trainers are being too impatient with you and your horse. I think they should be willing and happy to work on whatever you and your horse needs. Obviously you want the coaching during the rough spots and I think that is when the trainer should be willing to work with you. Is it possible to find a trainer that wouldn't mind working more on the warmup issues? Good luck! You'll get there.
                            Well the problem is as much that *I* am impatient with me, and with the horse, who has not always been like this. I've had her for 5 years; she was way hotter when I first had her, then she was injured and had a long rehab, during which she learned about "conservation of energy", as in, it's easier to be pokey and lazy than jumping out of her skin. The strange thing is, I *can* ride her through a jumping out of her skin episode, e.g. recently in a lesson when a naughty pony got loose and made a beeline for us, and she was airborne! I yelled at him and he ran away, but then he did it again, the little sod. She should have kicked the snot out of him but she was too busy jumping around.

The trainers and I are trying to find a warm-up that works that I can do on my own, without getting super-frustrated.

Comment

• Originally posted by quietann View Post
                              Well the problem is as much that *I* am impatient with me, and with the horse, who has not always been like this. I've had her for 5 years; she was way hotter when I first had her, then she was injured and had a long rehab, during which she learned about "conservation of energy", as in, it's easier to be pokey and lazy than jumping out of her skin. The strange thing is, I *can* ride her through a jumping out of her skin episode, e.g. recently in a lesson when a naughty pony got loose and made a beeline for us, and she was airborne! I yelled at him and he ran away, but then he did it again, the little sod. She should have kicked the snot out of him but she was too busy jumping around.

The trainers and I are trying to find a warm-up that works that I can do on my own, without getting super-frustrated.
                              Kick on, quietann! We have a boarder whose mare (that we think is like QH x Morgan) is also VERY clever and has a horrible case of l.a.z.y. It was confirmed through various diagnostics! Mare's owner gets really frustrated with her b/c when it comes to ring work, Mare just tortures her and wears her out. I get on Mare for 10-15 minutes and kick her around and that's usually all it takes. I'm sending you some "Kick On, Sister!" vibes!! You can do it!!

Comment

• Y'all are very sweet, thanks. I do get frustrated... I mean, I trust this mare as much as I can trust any horse -- she is safe, and smart, but very stubborn.

(And oddly enough, riding her bareback seems to help. She's very comfy that way. My seat's better that way, though I have not really mastered canter to trot transitions. Also I am asking her to carry herself but in a slower way, which she likes... She has a lovely little western-style jog in there.)

ETA: I avoid longeing her because I don't want her joints overly stressed. Keeping her sound is an ongoing challenge and I want the odds in my favor...

Comment

• Originally posted by MILOUTE55 View Post
                                  If anybody is in the Tampa area, send me a PM, I literally don't know a soul around here so it would be good to make new friends!
                                  Amandine
                                  Amandine,

Unfortunately, I'm in the N. part of the state around Tallahassee ... And technically, I'm in South Georgia, but ride just N. of T'hassee, which is a haul to Tampa.

But you should have no problems finding people to hang out with in Tampa.
                                  The dude abides ...

Comment

• Another week since I have ridden, and the last time I rode was short. It's pretty much all me - my horse and I have a wonderful relationship on the ground. In fact, when I went to get him from the very back of the pasture today, he trotted up to me to get haltered!

In the saddle is different. I have this brain that tends to head off in fifty different directions, all with one destination - the Land of What If. So, I tense up with worry and our rides are not great and I am not really progressing with him - there was that bulging thing we fixed.

He really is a good boy - he tries so hard but I sometimes send confusing signals.

Well, today, my trainer came up with something new, for us. A lunge line and side reins. The lunge first to get some of the antics, if there be any, out and to warm him up. Then she put the side reins on, quite loose and sent him out at the walk. Oh, he was not happy and was so worried about them there was a bit of a moment. But he settled down and worked nicely. Then, she handed the lunge to me with instructions - no more than 10 minutes, combination of walking and trotting and a few halts thrown it. He was so good! He even almost maintained his composure when the rest of the geldings (pasture is very close to the ring) played we all run now like maniacs. This was due to the boss mare busting through the fence and, along with a few of her cronies, joining the boys. Just way too much excitement.

So, after we finished our lunge line work, I got on, just for a little. He felt so much more relaxed! Still willing and eager to go, but not tense.

Will do the same routine tomorrow and then get in more of a ride on my horse!
                                    And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• My new mare arrived today. I had only seen photos of her but knew she sticked at 16.3 or 17. Ummmm - this girl is a monster. She's just giant and sadly she has learned just how big she is somewhere along the way. Not malicious, just rude leading her when she wants to go. Chain over nose does not a thing. Oh, well...something to work on. I'm excited to ride her this week once she settles in.

Otherwise the report from the farm is that according to Thing 1 & Thing 2 living in the front pasture, the rain created some AWESOME mud holes suitable for standing on one's head & grinding one's greyed out formerly white haired self into the grunge. Pig Pen has done his duty to remove the gumballs along the southwest fence line...he's carrying them around in his mane. Lovely.

Comment

• Congrats on the new Amazon, Finzean. Good luck with your ride!

As to mud balls - yes, mine was quite the looker today, too. I had to use the Evil Curry (the harder one) just to knock the dried mud off before I could even think about grooming. Poor diva thin-skinned TB thought he was being killed. It would just be too easy to knock the mud off on the fence, a tree, another horse, anything - no, we must acquire as much mud as possible and let it try to almost concrete consistency. It's in the Pony Contract.
                                        And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• at stories of muddy ponies, though I shouldn't... My girl hates mud and rarely gets into it if she has a choice.

Finzean, I am sure you know this already, but the butt end of a dressage whip in the shoulder can reduce leaning. It's bad enough with a 850-900 pound, small horse; I can't imagine having to deal with it from a huge one!

Today's lesson went better! Phil praised me for handling the warm-up on my own, riding through some antics from the mare, and he says she seems to be getting the idea that go = GO, no questions asked. She was good in the lesson... until she started acting weird. She was a bit gassy (which happens in the indoor, we think it is stress.) and he eventually was worried enough that he thought I should take her back to her stall to see if she'd poop. She didn't!!!! but she peed gallons. I had to go get the rest of our stuff from the indoor so I took her with me, and realized about halfway there that she did NOT have gas colic, but she WAS in heat. In January! Silly mare. She has very silent cycles but the first and last heats of the year are a bit more noticeable. Left her at the barn happily munching on hay and 100% her normal self. (And yes, she's pooped before I left. Twice.) I am happy that's she's OK but sad that what looked to be such a good lesson got cut short.

Comment

Working...
                                          X