• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woke up at 5am, left the house at 5:30, got to the barn at 6am. Left at 6:15 with my trainer to do a jumper show at 8am. Yes it was cold, but thank you for indoor heated arenas!! Had a great time and came back with a couple of ribbons.

Comment

• Originally posted by ladyfreckles View Post
      Yay, neighbors!
      That being sad, I'm a little annoyed that none of the trainers I work with (2 different barns) will put me on a lunge line. They don't think I need it but I just know if I got on a line for a few days I'd fix the issues I had at the posting trot.

I had this problem - the one barn I went to didn't do lunge lines at all and the second one they didn't think it was necessary for me. I distinctly remember being put on a lunge line as a kid, so this was a bit shocking to me that they wouldn't do it, but it sounds like it's a common thing now?

I never had any issues at the trot, but I almost drove myself nuts learning a canter depart - it's like my hands had minds of their own and would pull back no matter what I told them to do. I finally broke the habit, but I feel it did not need to be that difficult and even now the canter depart is my weakest transition and I don't know if it will ever not be.

Comment

• "I never had any issues at the trot, but I almost drove myself nuts learning a canter depart - it's like my hands had minds of their own and would pull back no matter what I told them to do. I finally broke the habit, but I feel it did not need to be that difficult and even now the canter depart is my weakest transition and I don't know if it will ever not be. "

Having finally fixed most of my issues at the trot, it's time to move on to the canter. Gulp. Like you twelvebelles, when I have attempted it before, my leg says canter, my hands say "oh please don't" and we end up with a running into a very choppy canter. Lunge line, here I come.
        And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• Pancakes- can't wait to hear more and see PHOTOS! Congrats.

Pony4me- congrats on your first lesson post-injury! SOunds like a good start.

Dewey- how very scary!! SO glad you were OK though, and that she was able to walk by him in the end.

I'm a fan of lunge line lessons too - I think I actually need them right now to work on my leg strength.

Jaslyn- good luck! I am sure you will work it out. I had the same issue when I was riding my old greenie, as I was kind of scared of him. I eventually got over it, and I am certain you will too!

We had some great rides lately, but I am SO out of shape and my heels are coming up over every jump. I need to do some serious strength work. We also did a 2'9" oxer yesterday, and Ollie did it great! My lesson learned this week is that SPEED is my FRIEND. I need to let him (or make him, usually...) go faster to get enough pace for some of these bigger jumps we're doing. He is so much better and more careful with some pace, even over the smaller jumps.

I also did some lead change practice *without* using a pole, and he got a few, and one time he changed in the front but not the back. I am happy that he at least recognizes what I am asking for now though, even without the pole! We're going to keep working on it.

And Tarheel - I think my barn's going to do the In Unison hunter pace in March! I am so very excited to try one. I think we're going to go to some Horse Show Ventures shows too. I think I'm going to start in one or two of the 2'3" divisions and go up to 2'6" if I get more comfortable this year. I'm only now starting to complete real courses at 2'6" at home, so we'll see how we progress. Dumb-dumb's still knocking rails...
          Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

• They put me on the line this morning. Within 30 minutes I was MUCH better. I was not rocking as much at the canter and was able to sit through canter-trot transitions and trot-walk-trot transitions with and without stirrups.

I was with the other trainer today who has taken over while the head trainer recovers from surgery. I've had her a couple times before. She really liked the way I rode and handled horses and asked if I could ride/lease her horse who is boarded very close to where I live. She's had a hard time finding a lessee who is a good enough rider for him. I'd also get to show on him during the fall season. Precisely what I was looking for.

Woohoo!

Comment

• Sounds like everyone is having some really nice rides. Good for you all!

I think I get my walking cast tomorrow. Yay!! Wish me luck.
              “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
              ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• That's great PaintedHunter -- maybe we'll run into each other this year!

Good Luck ParadoxFarm.

I finalized our Rolex plans over the last couple of days. We're staying at the Griffin Gate Marriott Thursday through Monday. Anyone else know if they are going yet?
                Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• Yay Paradox! How long before you can sit on a horse? LOL - when I partially tore my achilles a number of years ago, I was told DO NOT RIDE. So, I got on a schoolie and rode with no stirrups! Didn't do a lot - just HAD to sit on a horse!

Comment

• Thanks Tarheel and Jaslyn! I think as soon as I get this hard cast off I will tack my guy up maybe with my western saddle and just do a light ride! I can't wait much longer!!
                    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• I am about to "jump" into the hunter re-rider ring! Took hunt seat lessons about 40 years ago, then got my own horse and rode the trail for the next 33 years!! Bought my gelding in 2009 with dressage as our main focus - realized about 2 yrs ago he really prefers to jump - life got in the way, so we continued down the dressage path. FINALLY making the switch - to say I am NERVOUS is an understatement. So much to learn & re-learn, have a couple of great trainers and hope I am up to the challenge. Found a comfy saddle that fits us both, so that's a start . . . first jump lesson is on Thursday . . . any tips??
                      http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• Paradox - yay, freedom! The next step towards it, at least... it must be a relief!

Ladyfreckles - welcome and I'm really glad you eventually got to get a lunge line lesson! The security of knowing you don't have to be in total control really frees up your mind to work on those problem areas. Welcome and hopefully this allows you to grow as a rider

Tiger Horse - Welcome! The best advice for starting jumping for me was to be patient, BREATHE, keep your shoulders back (it will help you from jumping ahead), and be patient. Don't rush, do the small things first, and keep your eyes up!

Event4Life - You should go for the jumpers! It sounds like you're ready Have fun with it!

PaintedHunter - Keep it up on the lead changes, it sounds like you're almost there! And I hear ya about feeling loose and weak. It seems like 2, or 3 weeks off is enough to set you back a lot. But a 2'9" oxer is nothing to sniff about, so congrats!

Dewey -- Thank you for your enthusiasm for me! I am over the moon about this new horse, and I have nothing but good feelings that he's the right one for me. The last one I wasn't that in love with from the start, but this one was love at first sight.

I don't want to jinx things until he's safely home in his stall (Saturday is the day!), but I'll post a teaser picture because he is just SO handsome I can't stand it. He got vetted yesterday, all is good and what I expected, and he got gelded yesterday. Yes, that's right...he was a stallion when I tried him! You wouldn't know it though, he had an amazing temperament. He's at the farm recovering this week and will be coming home to me Saturday.

My new boy

He's a coming 5 year old (in the spring) Dutch WB x TB. <3

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiger Horse View Post
                          I am about to "jump" into the hunter re-rider ring! Took hunt seat lessons about 40 years ago, then got my own horse and rode the trail for the next 33 years!! Bought my gelding in 2009 with dressage as our main focus - realized about 2 yrs ago he really prefers to jump - life got in the way, so we continued down the dressage path. FINALLY making the switch - to say I am NERVOUS is an understatement. So much to learn & re-learn, have a couple of great trainers and hope I am up to the challenge. Found a comfy saddle that fits us both, so that's a start . . . first jump lesson is on Thursday . . . any tips??
                          Remember to breathe! Seriously, do that and you'll be fine. This is supposed to be fun after all! I can't imagine they'll have you jumping 3'6 the first time out, so just enjoy it. Speak up if you feel uncomfortable doing anything they ask.
                          "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                          "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Pancakes - he is lovely. Thanks for the advice. You too Event4life - you guys must know me - breathe is right.

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Comment

• Pancakes - we posted at the same time! Your new guy is gorgeous, I'm suitably jealous!!! Enjoy :-D
                              "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                              "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Pancakes, he's a real stunner!! What a lovely, lovely guy. Can't wait to watch him change colors
                                Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

• Pancakes...he is BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to hear more and see more pictures when he is home. I'm very happy for you! What is his name?

Tiger Horse, welcome! I bet you are very excited about your lesson. Just remember, this is supposed to be fun, so enjoy it. At the beginning do what you're comfortable with. Eventually you will want to push yourself a little, but not yet! Get the love back first. . Looking forward to hearing about your lesson.

Good news! I have the walking cast on! Got it today. I still have a few weeks before putting weight fully on it, but it is a start. My doctor recommended a boot to ride in and said it will not be long. I cannot wait! It's good to have a doctor whose daughter is a dressage rider. He knows exactly where I'm coming from.

Boy is the weather gorgeous today. I hope you are all riding for me today.
                                  ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• I would like to join the group as well. I started riding at the age of 6, then quit in my junior years and picked it back up in college through the IHSA program. I havent looked back since and I just turned 30. I have a full time demanding career, a full time boyfriend -no human kids but two canine ones, two horses and never enough time. While my showing time has significantly decreased in the past two years, I still am determined to enjoy the sport at my own pace for the moment. I ride late (6:30 and onward), usually in the dark and freezing cold(covered/indoor arena is a must) and on the weekends when I am in town. Somehow, it all works out. There are days when I get frustrated and complain and whine about not having enough time to do everything - especially when work demands infringe on my "free time"....grrr.

I think the point of all our adult ranting is that it never gets easier, but we all somehow manage to do this sport that we love with these amazing creatures - but it is nice to know that there are others out there in similar situations. It just takes some strategic time management, logistical planning and help from support groups/friends that you surround yourself with. Positive thinking always helps too. All I know is for as much as I complain about being an "adult" - anytime that I get to spend riding and with my horses is well worth the hassle. Don't loose your determination!

Comment

• Welcome, myHealthyObsession. I'm sure it's not easy riding at night and in the cold this time of year! Tell us about your horse (or the horse you ride).
                                      ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Pancakes - Congratulations - your new boy is just lovely!

Yay, Paradox on the walking cast.

Welcome myHealthyObession and Tiger Horse!

Comment

• Thank you for the warm welcomes! I am very excited about my lesson - not too worried because my guy really loves it and tries his heart out for you - I just don't want to do anything to ruin his fun!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X