• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumknees - that is great news about Piggie! Hope the improvement continues!

Finzean - wtg on your Roman soldier gig and you must be so proud of your pony!

Due to outside issues in my life, I opted to ride The Sainted Mare (sort of) yesterday. There were 7 of us in the jump field playing around. Somebody got the bright idea that we ride "barrel" patterns using jumps, to go around, not over. So, we all did that, seeing how close we could get and stay on - lol - at the trot. Must say the mare was great at that game and almost lost me a time or two. Then we played "The Command Game" (kind of like Simon Says without Simon). We did pretty well, including trotting with no stirrups. Then our caller called out halt, back up five steps. Well, we got the backing up part, but instead of standing like a good girl, the mare would walk forward exactly 5 steps so we ended up where we started!

Today I rode The Mare again and we went on a trail ride in the tree farm next to the barn property. Poor Mare - she is a habitual snacker, of the snatch and chew variety. There were no good snacks to be had! Poor Mare about starved on the ride and was a grump about it! LOL
    And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• I need to apologize now - the final course of my college degree is *very* intense and is taking up an immense amount of time. I'm having a hard time even keeping up with reading this thread, much less replying. Please know that I'll catch up with everyone eventually - probably once this course is over mid-January.

In the meantime, I may be more or less absent. I'll at least try to post my own little updates 'cause I love the comaraderie of this group.

Anyway, I did get to see my horses yesterday, but I got there *just* after BO had turned them out. I had texted her early that morning to say I would be out in the afternoon, hoping that would be a queue for her to put them out in the morning. ::shrug:: Oh, well. I had mysef all psyched up to go for a ride on Velvet, but the horses were so enjoying turn-out (hadn't gotten outside the day before because of weather, either, so they really needed the turn-out) that I just hung in the pasture with them a bit. Sometimes it's nice to just enjoy their company.

One cute story - my little Rose decided she wants to be an olympic event horse. I missed it as I was walking by the barn, but BO said when she let them out, all 3 were galloping having a good time. Well, there is a natural bank in the front pasture - pretty high, too. Rose galloped the top part and apparently did a flying leap down to the bottom level. BO said she had a heart attack watching her, but the little stinker didn't miss a beat - landed like a pro and kept on galloping. Of course, I'm only laughing because she was perfectly fine - thank goodness she's so athletic and has a good enough brain in that pretty little head that she apparently was able to measure her landing perfectly.

I ultimately want to do Jumpers with her. She sure doesn't mind jumping - that's for sure. Hopefully she'll do it over man-made jumps just as well as she's done it with natural obstacles quite a few times in the year and a half I've owned her. If not, hey, I can always join a Hunt, right? I just have to step up my game so I can keep up with her if we go Hunting.
      ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
      4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

• Trying to catch up on the thread still- but bumknees, that's great!

We had an organized trail ride with barnmates yesterday where we trailered to the '96 Olympic cross country facility at the horse park, and we had a blast! Ollie was way more relaxed than last time, so we opted to go over a few of the more two-foot-ish fences and a random bench in a campground area as well. He was SO silly with the bench - he rocked way back and lifted his knees to his nose. Not touching! I'm not touching it! I'm not touching it! It was cute how careful he was, considering he runs through jumps like the Kool-Aid man at home, haha. Now I'm thinking some more "scary" and solid jumps at home would teach him to be more careful. Cross country schooling, here I come!
        Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

• Thanks Painted.. He seems to be doing better every day. I think I can say that the vet was incorrect. But I am not going to say he was wrong because perhaps he was on the brink of no return for a normal dog... You know one not so dedicated to his owner and one not so "in love with it owner" kwim... Only the vet can say that. But he is definatly out of the woods. He goes back on Friday for his eval so then I can say for sure. But to me he is out of the woods... Thanks everyone for your jingles.... And Piggie says thanks also... as he woke me up at 3 this morning by barking and licking my hand ( he never licks face he is such a good boy when it comes to that). He wanted to "watch the weather Channel" I think he is in love with the girl that is on at that time...

Oh my saddle came yesterday.. It is beautiful.... Just as I remembered it as a JR. I got a Corsby Equileberium(sp) and it is perfect in size in the seat and flaps.. It was comfy... well what can you say when someone else broke it in nearly 30yrs ago...
          Friend of bar .ka

Comment

• BigButt: I wish I could give you some advice, but thankfully (knock on wood) I've yet to get injured while riding. But I do know when I get down on myself, or work and my schedule start working against me, all I need is some time off and that usually fixes my head.

Bumknees: So happy to hear your dog is doing better! As for the Crosby Equilibrium, I agree! I bought a used Crosby plain flap PDN about 2 years ago. It's still in great condition and I absolutely love it! So much so, I'm thinking about getting the foam taken out and reflocked with wool so I don't have to buy a new saddle.

Originally posted by Event4Life View Post
            Now I'm going to need to see a picture of Oliver because I'm late to the game and have missed previous ones youve probably posted! I love horses that have that "pony" face. Dukes 15.1ish but totally has a pony personality, in the best way, & I LOVE it.
            Actually this photo you posted reminded me of him. Oliver has a cob-sized head, even though he's a 16h OTTB.

Oliver 1
            Oliver 2
            Oliver 3
            The dude abides ...

Comment

• Opus/Bumklnees - I have a Crosby PDN that I found new in my local tack shop when I was saddle shopping. It had just been sitting there for years - no knee rolls, no thigh blocks, no sofa cushion. I love it!!! Oliver it totally handsome!!!

Bumknees, glad Piggie continues to bounce back!

BigButt - how are you doing?
              And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• Oliver is adorable! My last two OTTBs, at 16.1 and 16.3, both wore cob-sized bridles.
                “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
                ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Bumknees how's your dog doing? Did your new riding gear show up yet?

Pancakes how is your aunt? And how are you? Have you looked at any horses recently?

Comment

• Thanks for everyones suggestions. I've been up to the barn a couple of times this week, just to work a tiny bit on the flat, but more to give him a chance to spread his young legs and burn off steam.

I've decided I'm not making any hard decisions at this point with him - I'm going to give myself the 2 months that my coach will be riding him.

Some days I think that its just a matter of time and I will be ready to swing my legs back over. Then there is a number of days that I look at the costs that I incur with him, and that at my age, money backing, and talent - the best I can hope for would ever be to just attend an A rated show. So suddenly the passion for the sport and horses is being over shadowed by the realistic side of me.

So I think its just best if I wait and give this a bit of time. I've had the spark since I could walk, and been involved with horses for the last 30 years... so this is a really difficult feeling to overcome. My direct family (hubby and 19 year old son) are being amazing - they just want me safe not to give this up. The rest of my family and friends are still waiting and hoping I come to my senses and just sell him.

On the plus side when I have been working with him on the ground I'm not feeling like I can't wait to get the hell out of there. But I'm not feeling the fearless passion I used to have.

But thanks for the support here!

Comment

• BB - your 2 months of "off" time couldn't come at a better time. Don't pressure yourself...I feel like there's something really great & appropriate Yoda would say here but I got nothing. Just hang out and enjoy the horses from the ground...it's not that bad.

As for me....

Saturday's HUGE win with the Roman solidiering gave way to a rude and tacky mare on Sunday before we even got out of the driveway. She was just being rude - the short version: she squished me between herself and the trailer, then sat down on the trailer and popped the baling twine loop I had her tied to & got her head stuck under the chest bar. Got to the event and she was pawing, pawing, pawing and then sat down again. I didn't even take her off. By this point, my ribs were really starting to hurt from the squish so I just took her home. This mare is pretty bomb proof but can be ruder than any of the stallions I've ever handled when she is in one of her moods. We left the farm Sunday at feeding time and the ponies in the front pasture galloped up to the nearest fencing while we were loading her and that set her off, I think. She does self load & I was in a safe zone...it was just an accident but I'm barely able to get small things done - and a sneeze or hiccup is pretty painful. Oh well, such is life...

So I'll be living vicariously through everyone else's posts! Y'all bundle up and trot on. Next week I'm determined to be back in the saddle.

Comment

• AWWW Oliver is so cute!! I definitely see the resemblance especially in your last pic.

Finzean, sorry you got squished. Stuff like that always seems to happen after a good outing directly before it for some reason!

BB - give it time & hang in there!

I had a lesson on Sunday. COTHer Jens came to watch and took a long video which I have yet to see. I'm slightly terrified because we were doing a rollback exercise which oversized pony and I found to be quite the challenge. The jumps were set across the arena in zig-zag form right up against each other. By the end of the lesson we had it quite nicely in trot. Canter was a bit of a disaster. He was really heavy because I was leaning too far forward, so trainer got on him and sorted him out. We have a lot to practice before our lesson next Tuesday, but I still feel like we made good progress. After trainer got on him he was much lighter to the fences so I know what "feel" I am looking for now.

Yesterday I went on a trail ride with Dukes owner. We were out for 2hrs+ & it was fabulous. We rode around the neighborhood then through the woods up by the lake. He was such a good boy :-D.
                        "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                        "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Finzean, sorry for the squish. Hope you feel better soon!

Event4life, sounds like a very fun and productive ride! Good for you

PaintedHunter, the XC schooling sounds like a blast! I would love to do that again. It has been a while.

ClassyRide, study hard. You can play later! Good luck with your tough class.
                          ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Bumknees- hope your dog continues to improve!

BB- I think everyone has given you good advice, don't make any decisions too quickly or while you are still on big meds.

I've been out of town a bit lately and haven't done much riding due to any number of reasons. I did get to ride the little white horse I've hunted one last time while visiting my friends (they are placing him with a beginner rider that he will babysit). I got some fleece breeches on sale and a size smaller than what I've been wearing while down there as well. Loved to breeches when I rode this AM as it was 42F and windy (that is COLD to me!). Had a good ride on the little gray mare who was trying to get me back in shape by doing a lot of canter laps! Should get to ride twice more this week, then next week is a mess due to the barn Christmas party.

If we are still discussing gifts for the trainer, our group of adults goes in together on a group gift. This year we aren't spending that much (around $20 each). I think we are all feeling a bit poor right now.

Comment

• Thanks for all the compliments on Oliver, y'all.

iechris: We had a barn xmas party the first weekend of the month and I think several people exchanged gifts then. In the end, I gave her a basic Kindle Fire, since she reads a lot, and because Office Depot had a $25 off sale on them. It was well-received.

Sorry if I start getting quiet again the next couple of weeks. Work is gearing up again and I'm going to be slammed until the new year.
                              The dude abides ...

Comment

• It's supposed to be 61 and sunny here today. The holidays have me slammed but I could carve out ride time if it weren't for the squished rib situation. 6-8 weeks they say but I ain't got that kind of time....I've got some goals that won't wait. I'm wondering if there aren't some pool exercises I can do to speed this healing thing up???

My daughter rides at a friend's farm (lessons there b/c mom knows nothing - haha - about anything) and their party is Sunday. Haven't checked those gifts off the list.

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping their head above water as we wade deeper into the holidays. I love the holidays but long for something like Little House on the Prairie or Little Women...something meaningful and simple. Peace to all of you!

Comment

• Well, I guess I don't feel too bad about not being able to ride, since a lot iPod you can't ride much now either! Holidays can be a time drainer. . Well, today was my seven-week (plus one day) doctor's appointment. Cast number two came off, and cast number three went on. BUT...we think this will be the last one before we get a walking cast/boot. I will be more than thrilled! Good riddance 2012, bring on the new year! I wasn't to ride. .

Anyway, hope you are all enjoying the season doing what you love most with those you love most!!!
                                  ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• 65 and sunny here in central NC today....so crazy! I still cant get over this weather.

Just had a really quick ride yesterday, unfortunately I had to work all afternoon/evening so I missed the good weather. Arena is really muddy (its grass) so I went round the hay field instead. We got rained on but pony was such a champ! A huge herd of deer jumped out like 50ft in front of us, he was on a long rein walking & didn't bat an eye.

Thursday & Saturday we practiced the rollback exercise we were doing in our lesson the previous sunday but using poles on the ground. He was a really good boy both times. Arena too wet those days to try it at canter, we'll see if its dried out at all today. Saturday went on a mini trail ride with the BO which was fun except her horse is lazy and Duke is quite forward.

In other news, I FOUND A SADDLE!! 17.5 in wide tree stubben siegfried, used, made in Germany. I'm super excited, its a carbon copy of the new when I got it (back in 2004) saddle I sold a few years ago, except a bit older (my saddle was one of the newer ones made in Switzerland). Anyway I'm super excited because I've been riding in a borrowed 16.5 in Collegiate Ian Miller which is definitely hindering my position because of its size.

I need suggestions on carrying it between home and the barn. Tack room is too small to leave it there, and its not locked, and I'm paranoid. I'm thinking of ordering a saddle case from either dover or smartpak. The dover one is cheaper and we have a dover in Raleigh so I'll probably go there. I think I can get it monogrammed and have it sent to the store to avoid the shipping mess I keep hearing you get with Dover. Opinions?

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season & those of you in the midwest, STAY WARM!!!
                                    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                                    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• hi everyone!
                                      I haven't been around lately because I was interviewing for a job:
                                      Stress is over! I got hired last week and will be able to live in the US again... Florida this time! My son and I are thrilled about the news!
                                      Very happy to join the Voltaire Design team and be able to do what I do best: help customers!
                                      Have a great day everyone!
                                      Amandine

https://www.facebook.com/VoltaireDesign

Comment

• Congrats Miloutte55, that is great news!

ParadoxFarm -- sounds like you are healing up well! You will be back in the saddle before you know it.

Event4Life: my only suggestion on a bag for your saddle is this -- make sure you get one that has zippers that go all the way around from the front of the pommel to the back of the cantel. This makes it really easy to get the saddle in and out. I gave my Dover saddle bag to my goddaughter for her 15" saddle because the hole created when the zippers were all the way open was not very big, and it was a real pain to get the saddle in and out.

With the crazy holidays, my ride time has suffered. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on a regular schedule in January!

Hope everyone is surviving the madness!
                                        Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• Congrats Miloutte55!! Welcome home.

Thanks, Tarheel. Yes, I am looking forward to the day I can ride again. Hopefully some of this mild weather will hold off.

Event4Life, there are so many saddle cover options. I agree with Tarheel, if you get an enclosed one, do get a big enogh zipper to make it easy. And I like the ones that are fleece (or fakey fleece) lined to protect the saddle. At home, I store my saddle in the dining room and just take them out to the barn (back yard) when I ride. I just use the covers with elastic that keep them clean, but I don't enclose them at home. There are some really cute covers out there if you go this route! I have a few different colored paisly patterns for my different saddles.
                                          ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                                          X