• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey folks. I love reading about your lesson triumphs, and I totally sympathize with those trying to do (quality) shows on a budget. The warmup ring always feels like a circus to me with lots of screaming "HEADS UP!" though no one is listening. Ugh.

Well this weekend has been harrowing and stressful to say the least. My aunt nearly died on Thursday but she's mildly better today. She had surgery successfully to take the packing material out that was keeping her from bleeding to death. She lost 2 human bodies worth of blood during the first surgery. Then all of the consequences to deal with that go along with the transfusions...she's still on the ventilator and they can't wake her up yet. My long-lost cousin flew in from CA with my other long-lost cousin, and my mom came in. With my other aunt, we had a nice family reunion under not-so-nice circumstances. It's been hard to be strong, drive back and forth from Miami daily, and try to get along in life. I called out of work this weekend and felt terribly guilty for it.

I DID get some barn time/horse therapy in, though...it was good. I spent 2 days at the barn and hung out with my trainer and helped her, and the lesson kids. I got to just go trail riding around the property. Seeing my halter and fly mask and bridle for the non-existent horse was hard, though. I'm definitely going to still look for my own horse still because I feel like having horses is that much more important in my life when the going gets tough. I know you all understand how that feels

So that's me. I'm hanging in there, barely. Riding hasn't been great lately and I'm out of shape, but whatever. OH! And one more thing... my half chap zipper split right open when I rode! The stitching is coming apart from the zipper and pulling on it in such a way it busts open in the middle. They are Tredsteps that I got from Smartpak. Do you think they'll take them back, no questions asked, and exchange them?

Comment

• Pony4me, I'm right around the corner from Hunter Court!!

Pancakes, good to hear from you. Sorry about your aunt. And try not to worry about calling in to work. You needed it.

I say keep going to the barn when you can. It's good for you.

Tarheel, I do the same thing. I school the night before. Then I actually skip the morning school in the big ring and just warm up before my class as lightly as I can.
      “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
      ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Pancakes- hugs, you are really going through a lot. Hope that posting here helps you some and you must know you have a lot of support.

Jaslyn- congrats on the successful show!

I'm terrified of the warm up ring as I tend to get a bit crazy just being in a lesson with a bunch of people going different directions.

I got sick the weekend before Halloween, some sort of cold with my allergies, missed almost a week of work. I had to cancel my dog show trip to FL but was able to send my dog with the co-owners. Finally got back out to ride Friday night under the lights and had a lesson Saturday. I was really pleased with how my lesson went especially since I had not ridden in over two weeks and it was a crowded lesson. Should be back in the swing of things this week if the rain holds off.

Hope everyone is staying warm and getting some riding in.

I decided to knit fingerless mitts for all my barn friends for Christmas and so far I've got 5 pairs done! That leaves me 4 more pairs and then I'm done with the barn folks.

Comment

• Thanks Classyride and Pony4Me! I've been riding on and off for the past 22 years, not consistently due to finance and employment issues. I do miss riding terribly, although I have a lot of confidence and anxiety issues that I need to work through. Looks like I'm leaning toward riding in my immediate area, for the simple fact that I know that I won't be moving out until late spring/early summer.

I have acquired quite a bit of riding gear and other tack over the years, so I think I'm set for that. (I'm saving up to eventually buy my own horse.) Although I have a nagging suspicion that my breeches no longer fit me...did you miss me, Mr. VISA?

Comment

• Pancakes, it certainly sounds as if you are going through a lot. I am so sorry about your aunt--sounds like really traumatic surgery. May you and your relatives have some meaningful time together. Keep going to the barn, and I'd definitely give Smartpak a call. They may surprise you. We're here for you.

iechris, long time, no see! So sorry you have been sick! I'm glad to hear you had a good lesson, and I'd love to hear more about the dog! What kind of showing do you do?

pony4me, great news about Mr. All-Better! Keeping my fingers crossed! You are lucky to have such a nice show circuit nearby. We have a decent local circuit, but I wish it was better attended. Fortunately, I am not the only adult.

Welcome, Accio. We'd love to hear about the riding you did when you were younger. I echo the other advice you got--I'd start riding now and getting in shape before you move.

ParadoxFarm, keep up the healing!

PH, what an adventure you had at your show! I'm proud of you for sticking it out. Congrats on your success! can't wait to hear about your continuing quest to jump higher!

ClassyRide, may you get your horse time in soon! I would be a basket case without my barn time!

Thanks to all who indulged me by commenting on my pictures. I'm looking forward to next season when Sky will be in our pre-green division (2'3"). That will start in January. I'm already dreaming about taking her to a bigger show someday. Maybe a QH show--there are several in Georgia. She could do the Working Hunter and/or Hunter Hack, maybe in a year or so. I need to start saving my pennies!

Tarheel, how are you and Tajar doing?

Hazel, how are you doing?
            I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Tarheel- that would be fun to coordinate a show attendance! I'll keep you updated on our schedule.

Pancakes - I know it's a bit far from you, but this is the horse I saw that thought you might be interested in: http://www.gahorseevents.com/directo...mare-for-sale/
              Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

• Thanks Paradox and Tarheel for the encouragement and resources! I've signed up for Jane Savoie's website and have also got a book on overcoming riding fearfulness on my Kindle. This week I'm taking a break as my instructor is out of town at a show, so I'm planning on reading and doing some work on my core via yoga and Pilates. Hopefully the stronger I get the more confident I'll be!

Accio, welcome to the world of re-riders! I just started back myself a few months ago after many years away. It's been fun, if more than a little frustrating at times!

Comment

• We Cantered!

:Wimpy re-rider finally cantered on Rico!

I kept waiting for the perfect conditions. Finally, Saturday I just 'went for it'. We were trotting and he got pissy with me, bucked and then broke into a canter. I made him stop. Trotted a few more circles, then thought 'what the heck' - asked him to canter, and it was great!

Such a small thing. A little over a year ago I was afraid to canter on a school horse, let alone on Rico, who I feared would be unpredicable and unbalanced. Turns out, he has a really nice, smooth, uphill canter. Can't wait to get him on some good footing!
                  Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
                  Witherun Farm
                  http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Good for you Trevelyan! Way to go.

Thanks for asking about me Dewey. Not too much exciting up here. Show season is long over for us and we are back to doing equitation in the indoor already. The weather has been lousy and with the time change it's dark by the time we head out to the barn. It's going to be a very long winter. Think I might have to join the adult winter rider thread soon. Horses are healthy so far, work sucks, the weather sucks. Thank goodness for soft muzzle snuggles from my four-legged best friend. And thank goodness for this thread. Are we still thinking of meeting up at Rolex? That might get us through the winter........

Comment

• Just wanted to post a quick "Congratulations!!!" to Trevelyan96 - that's AWESOME!!!! I was scared to death the first time my instructor told me to canter my OTTB mare. I figured she would take off with me. Low and behold, she was a very good girl, and her canter is smooth as silk and super easy to ride! It's amazing when you not only conquer your fear, but also find something wonderful because of it.
                      ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
                      4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

• Way to go Trevelyan! That's awesome It always feels good to break through those barriers!
                        Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

• Go Trevelyan!! That is awesome!

Can't convince myself that it is a good idea to ride this AM since the temps are in the low 40s and windy. I'm a wimpy Californian transplanted to the south. Burrrr.... (trainer is an Arizonian transplanted to the south and doesn't like the cold any better than I do!).

Comment

• Hooray Trevelyan!

Comment

• Yay Trevelyan!

Dewey -- really not much to report with Tajar. It seems like every time I get back into the groove of riding, I end up having to go out of town, and I miss a weekend, then I feel behind again. I had a couple of good rides this past weekend (one in the new dressage saddle -- just walk/trot because it was windy and I was a wuss in a weird feeling saddle!). But now I have to go out of town tomorrow - Sunday for work. 2012 has really been an annoying year.

I too am thinking I can benefit from the winter riding support thread. As much as I love my horse time, I loathe the cold!
                              Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• Hey guys Im sorry for my last post. Im seeping better now, could be because DH is home.. and he isnt to worried about things to come.

iechris.. 40deg .. almost short temp. come up here where we had 20s at night and highs in the30s for the last week.. luckly no nasty white stuff that falls for the sky.. yet..figure another 2 maybe 3 weeks..if lucky there is no predicting lake effect...then we have 6'' or more of partly cloudy to remove from our driveways and sidwalks..

Welcome Accio.
                                Friend of bar .ka

Comment

• Thank you everyone. I just wish I had a 'real' ring at home, as cantering on the slippery clay and uneven footing in my pasture is a little daunting.

Congrats to everyone who is making progress, and loads of encouragement to everyone who needs it. I think the shorter daylight hours, friskier horses, and weather of winter is especially challenging for everyone, and we all deserve a pat on the back for even going to the barn!
                                  Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
                                  Witherun Farm
                                  http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

• If I didnt have a meeting this weekend this would be the weekend I rode for the first time. Maybe on Sunday before DH has to go to work...
                                    Figures just as I work up the nerve to get on a pony to check my balance I forget I have a VFW meeting..
                                    Do not let me excuse my self out from next weekend.. ok guys.. PM me, post here, anything to get me out to the barn and ride.. I have to do this or I will never get on and then I might as well sell Toby.... It will be on the pony but hey better to start off low to fall than 16.2+ thats a long way down...
                                    I wonder where my journeymans are....gonna have to ask dh... Its gonna be coldish if not down right cold ( weather man just hinted there is a good chance ..) and Im not that nuts not to wear full chaps in the winter... But then agian I used to wear them everyday..
                                    So please dont let me exsuse my way out f it..valid exsuses are have to take dh national guard stuff, dad dead, a ds dead,me in hospital,moving, one or more brother/sil/mil/neice/nephew dead. But I dont expect any of those to happen.
                                    Friend of bar .ka

Comment

• Bumknees, I did read the post you wrote about your stress over your financial situation. No need to apologize for that. We all feel stress--sometimes, very bad stress--and we're your friends, so you can tell us. After all, this is the re-riders' "support group." Your post just reinforced that every time there is a change in administration, some people are going to suffer for it. It's inevitable.

As far as riding goes, I want to encourage you. It sounds as though you're trying to nerve yourself up to doing it, and that's a good sign: you're ready for the next step. Just make sure you maximize your chances for success. Starting on the pony is good, and make sure you have at least one other person with you, someone who is familiar with the horses and who can walk next to you and lead the pony if necessary. And of course: wear a helmet!

Good luck, bumknees, I'm pulling for you.
                                      I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Hey bumknees, next week just promise yourself you will tack up, mount up, and walk around. That's it. Tell yourself you will walk for ten minutes. After ten minutes, if you really want to get off, let yourself. Chances are you may not want to. I think baby steps can be giant steps!
                                        Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Nov. 16, 2012, 08:24 AM. Reason: Typi
                                        “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
                                        ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Oh geesh forgot about the helmet... I have one I think .... I may have given it to someone when I though I have hung up the Irons for the last time a few years ago. Will have to check... If I stll have it it maybe under some stuff in a closet, in the case, possibly buried deep in the closet under lots of stuff...
                                          In a room that DH and I had started to redo/renovate right before I had my stroke and noone has been in since... Oh gosh the horsehair plaster... I hope it isnt... I sure its all hard by now...
                                          Friend of bar .ka

Comment

Working...
                                          X