• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Hi all! Saw this thread while perusing h/j and remembered way back when, when I started this thread and figured no one would respond! Here we are,112 pgs later!

Hope everyone is well. I'm riding my pony Lucky a bunch, and we did 2 dressage shows this fall, and he was a star.

I found a sweet pony for my DD, and we are rehabbing her, she has Cushings. She's awesome!

We are still without power after the hurricane, we are closing in on a week, and frankly, I'm sick of it! No heat, no water. Thank God I filled the muck tubs and troughs for the horses so they'd have drinking water.

So that's my life, I'm glad this thread is still going strong!

Comment

• Spaceytracy, yep, 112 pages and still going strong.

Wish there was a way we could get you some power. I know how you feel, but on the hot side. The year 4 storms hit Florida, left me without power for 6 days. Hang in there! Let us all know if there is anything we can do for you!
      And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• Show report. We got two 3rds and 2nd in our classes. The first 3rd was in eq, which I would have done much better with had I not blown a diagonal. I know I never pick up the left on autopilot, so just automatically change. That was good, but then somewhere I ended up back right and didn't catch it in time.

But the ribbons weren't the point, the point was I rode my horse at a show and nothing bad happened. We were in a small indoor arena with stalls on two sides. On one side the stalls front the arena so there is a sidewalk with kids, muck buckets, scooters, lawn chairs, you name it. Out the back, cars wash racks. In the front, bleachers and the in/out gate. Again, people coming and going, horses waiting for their classes, riders in the warm up area. And he never blinked an eye at anything. He was very curious about the various goings on and would crane his head as we would go by just to see what was what. Made me laugh out loud.

He was pretty up, as in can we go now, huh, huh, huh, up. Part of that had to do with me being just a tad nervous. But, I rode it, remembered to do touches on the reins to slow and not pull, and just rode. I was able to think during the ride instead of my normal brain freeze. Now this was just a w/t class - eq, us, and pleasure. During the eq, the Judge called for the sitting trot - I faked it big time, sitting the bouncy tb is just not in my tool kit yet. She also asked for halts - and Finn halted like we do it all the time.

As I said, I did it, I rode my horse at a show and lived!

Comment

• Jaslyn way to go! So proud of you. What a way to end the season. We knew you could do it.
          Pony thats great news.
          Welcome back Spacytracy. We've missed you. Hope your power returns soon.

Comment

• Yay, jaslyn! So glad you had a good show day!

I only did one show this season, and I really missed showing. Just too much going on at work, and small health issues for Tajar. I am hoping next season will make up for it.
            Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• Pancakes, it's good to hear from you. Hang in there, sister.

Quietann, soooooo sorry to hear about the laminitis. Let's hope the good shoeing helps! Keep us posted!

Spacytracy, welcome back! It's great to hear from the Mother of the ReRiders Thread! Glad to hear about Lucky and the new pony, too. So, is it possible to recover from Cushings? An old mare DD used to ride got it, and it was a slow decline for her from then on. I'll be interested to hear what you are doing for it. May your power return soon!

SUPER news about the show, jaslyn! This must be great for your confidence!

pony4me, may Mr. All-Better remain Mr. Sound-as-a-Dollar!

Sky and I have one more show this season, next weekend. It's at our farm again, which is nice and convenient. We did a few more left-to-right changes on Thursday with coach watching, and it was not a fluke. She seems to know understand what I am asking for now, and if I don't lean in (my terrible tendency), she does it perfectly. Let's hope it's there when I need it over fences!
              I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Wow! So many wonderful, engaged participants in this thread! No wonder we're at Page 112 and counting!

Thank you all so much for welcoming me - I'm quite excited about joining here because it seems like everyone really supports each other.... and I need that some days!

For those who asked if my ankle was any better, it is! But I had soft-tissue damage (not a fracture), so ParadoxFarm, I can't say how a fracture will heal. I had three partially torn ligaments in my right ankle. PT loosened it up *a lot* and now that ankle flexes better than the left. But, the ligaments do fatigue easy. I have to be careful, because if I ride more than it's used to I get tendinitis all the way from the ankle up the outside of my calf on that leg. Not a pleasant feeling.

Dewey – Best of luck at your show next weekend! I’m so jealous – I have yet to ride a flying change (well, on purpose anyway)! Do a couple for me next time you ride.

Quietann – Best of luck with the Golden Morgan. It's wonderful that you have such a good team of people working on her.

Pancakes – Thank you for sharing your story; *you* really touched *me* because I know just what you are going through. Don't worry - you *will* find the right one.

Jaslyn – Many congrats on the awesome show day!!! That must have felt completely amazing. You braved it out and look how good Finn was for you!!! I <3 my TB mare because even though she has moments, when I *really* need her to be the brave one she never lets me down. Sounds like Finn was a solid citizen for you on show day.

Pony4Me – Congratulations on Mr. Rehab graduating to Mr. All Better! I hope he is a superstar about coming back to work and gets you some blues!

SpacyTracy – I hope you have power again soon if it didn’t come back already. Congrats on the shows and on the pony for DD!

I'll come back on either later today or tomorrow night to give you guys a run-down on my three beloved beasties.
                ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
                4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Comment

• Quietann- so sorry! Happy healing thoughts for you.

Jaslyn- way to go!!! That's incredibly awesome. Congrats.

Pancakes, hope you're hanging in there today.

Great ride for me today... We conquered cantering into a particular inside line that we've only been able to trot into before- because of the angle of the tight turn into it, and he's a big lug. Today we did it, and managed another tight turn from that line into another inside line. I think this means Ollie's canter is getting more balanced and his athleticism is increasing
                  Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

• https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...xpb0&safe=1&zw

Hope the link works. Shameless brag on Finn. This is my trainer on him in the 2'3" Intermediate Hunters. Finn was not happy - full of TB tude and not really listening to her. But I love the pic of my boy jumping!

Comment

• "Try to trot a X-rail on the new horse and I'm flopping around like a fish. My weakness is really made obvious with smaller, trot fences.

I've really been thinking that I need to get my core in shape and I think that will help me. But WHEN? I have a 3 year old, a job, a house, and the horses. Oh, and a husband too."

I definitely know how you feel I took about 4 years off from riding and have loved getting back into the swing of riding. Got a young horse last spring, who is an absolute doll but I notice that I'm not as tight in the tack as I'd like too. Like some of the other suggestions doing a class like pilates has been really helpful to me. The core work is soo awesome for balance.
                      Also I feel like mental preparation is super important (at least for me). You might want to check into a site like www.equestriancoach.com it's like having a lesson from the top riders or coaches in the industry but you can do it from the comfort of your home whenever you have time. They have several video topics on getting tight in the tack, that show exercises you can do/practice. But for me sometimes just watching the topic can help me understand something I was missing or not focused on which makes all the difference.

This link goes to a couple of those (getting tight in the tack) topics one for over fences and one for on the flat.
                      http://www.equestriancoach.com/video...All&viewed=All

Comment

• So, as promised, here is a run-down of my three-horse herd (and a little about me). Sorry that this is long – I could go on all day about them, so I’m going to try to keep it short…

My very first horse is my heart horse. He’s the one that I wouldn’t have ever been able to get if my ankle wasn’t messed up when I test rode that first horse… I brought him home almost exactly 7 years ago. He’s an American Saddlebred gelding, now 19 years old, and he’s Chestnut Spotted (in other words, pinto). I got him from a rescue, who found him in the kill pen at a harness horse auction. He’s bombproof, sweet, handsome, and an awesome teacher. Just about everything I know about riding, he’s taught me. He has the patience of a saint with children and beginner riders, but as I’ve gained knowledge, he always steps up his game a little. Never gives his rider more than they can handle, but he always has something to teach, and always makes you ride. IMHO, those are by far the best horses to learn on – he’s a total keeper. <3 Of course, he doesn’t like jumping, and has some conformational flaws that have probably been part of the cause of him being on-and-off NQR in the last couple of years, but he’s been my pleasure horse and trail-blazer deluxe for 7 wonderful years, and I know we have a ton more love to share with each other for years to come. He has his forever-home with me. I call him Gabriel. Here are a couple pics:

Yeah, he’s man enough to wear pink: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67..._062211_03.jpg
                        He’s my sweet pea:
                        http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...erd/IMG003.jpg
                        Awesome trail horse:
                        http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...ide-2010-2.jpg

About 3 years after getting Gabe, I decided I wanted to jump – and since he didn’t dig jumping, I needed another horse for that. I searched and searched and searched for over a year and finally found a OTTB mare who I fell entirely in love with. She was 6 years old at the time (now 9) – a beautiful dark bay mare with a big white star and the coolest, oddest little bit of roaning in her coat. It’s not immediately obvious, but when the light hits her right you can see a silver sheen on her. So cool. Anyway, she is the perfect step up from my first boy. Super kind and willing – very patient in some ways, but very sensitive in others. She has taught me more about being quiet with my aids, and she has also taught me how to sit tall in the occasional airs above ground moments. But what I love about this girl is that if I’m just patient and calm with her, she’s a complete superstar. Case in point, I’d never taken her on a trail ride ever – never stepped foot in the woods with her. This past Summer I took her on a 3-day trail ride in the mountains with a couple hundred other horses. She was very nervous at first – she’s that way when she doesn’t know what her job is or what to expect. But, I was patient, I stayed calm in the saddle through her fidgeting and crow-hopping, I talked to her softly and guided her into line for the ride. And 5 minutes down the trail, you’d have thought she’d done this all her life. She negotiated a stream, many almost straight up and down climbs/descents, slippery muddy rocks – you name it. She was awesome! I love her. Her name is Velvet.

This photo shows her cool silvery sheen from the roaning:
                        http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...16_Cropped.jpg
                        Doing spirals:
                        http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67..._3_Cropped.jpg
                        On the 3-day trail ride with some friends:
                        http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...12-Friday3.jpg
                        Pretty girl:
                        http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67..._062211_02.jpg

And then about a year and a half ago, I succumbed once again to my horse addiction. Way back, not long after I’d gotten the first horse, I stumbled upon a breeder’s website. She bred Saddlebreds, but these guys were different from most. They were very versatile. Some of her foals went on to normal Saddlebred show careers, but she also had many that went elsewhere (Hunters, Jumpers, Endurance, Dressage, etc.). I had drooled over her horses for years and finally found myself in a position to get one. So, I got a beautiful red-bay yearling filly with a star and right hind sock. This little girl is phenomenal! Smart as a whip, wants only to please, and would be a lap-dog if she could. I have never in my life met a horse who so desires to be messed with – even the “bad” things like shots and worming. If she’s getting attention, her world is sunny and bright. …She’s now 2 and a half years old and I’ve been able to put a lot of training on her in a short amount of time because she’s so smart and sweet. Mentally, she’s ready to be backed, but she’s still physically immature and butt-high. So, I’m going to re-evaluate her come Spring and see whether she’s ready to get her first ride or not. The baby’s name is Rose.

Weanling photo courtesy of her breeder. Photo credit to Louise Gilliland:
                        http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...d/Puff-196.jpg
                        Getting ponied. And what a good girl Velvet was to be the pony horse!:
                        http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67..._3_Cropped.jpg
                        Peacefully grazing:
                        http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...01_Smaller.jpg

As for me, my dreams of showing were put on hold for quite a while. Gabriel and Velvet gave me about 4 good solid years of riding lessons before I had to stop because the economy took my job away. And when I did get back to work, I also started a Bachelor’s degree program which has eaten up almost all of my free time over the last few years. I’m finally almost finished (will be done mid-January), and I can’t wait to be able to see my horses more than once per week and start lessons again. Besides, my confidence gets shaky if I’m out of lessons for a while. I have a completely idiotic fear of cantering which goes away if I have an instructor who can gently push me into doing it *every* *single* *day*. But since I’ve been on my own, I’m slowly gotten back to fearing it. I don’t think I’ve cantered anybody in a couple of months – I’m digging my own grave with it. I need those lessons pronto!

Sorry again for the novel. Thank you for humoring me.

Comment

• ClassyRide -- all 3 of your equine children are beautiful, but I admit I am partial to Velvet. What a lovely face.

I know what you mean about apprehension creeping in when you don't do something consistently. That is the worst feeling. You know you can do it, but for some reason you get in your own way. Congrats on almost being done with school. Maybe do some small, local shows in 2013?

I just tried to attach a photo of Tajar, taken a couple of weeks ago. I hope it works - I haven't done this on my iPad before.
                          Attached Files
                          Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• Oh, Tarheel! Tajar is SO GORGEOUS!!! How long have you had him? What's his age and breeding?

You hit the nail on the head when you said you know you can do it, but you get in your own way. That's *exactly* how I am with cantering. Neither of my riding horses are bad about it - it's just that I start worrying about what might happen if I fall off, and then it snowballs from there.

I'm just looking forward to getting back into lessons. And yeah, I'd really love to do a few local shows in 2013 – that’s a good idea. And it’s a good goal to shoot for, I think.

Comment

• Jaslyn, the link doesn't work for me. All I get is the sign-in to my email. It's too bad because I wanted to see the picture.

Classyride, I really enjoyed the stories about your horses and seeing their pictures! Wonderful! How lucky you are to have three!

Tarheel, that's a lovely shot of Tajar. Wish I could see his nose, though!
                              I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Pancakes how are you doing?

Comment

• Thanks ClassyRide and Dewey. I have had Tajar for 3 years -- he was delivered to my trainer's barn 10/12/09. He is a 9 yr. old Quarter Horse -- but he is 16 hh and he isn't built at all like his AQHA breeding would suggest he should be (although he does have a bit of a butt). He was bred from a Skipper W line in Colorado, and his initial owner used him as a header horse in team roping. But his heart wasn't in that. He has proved to be quite good in the hunter ring for me, thanks to great trainers who taught him a new job. And we had a lot of fun doing a very baby-level combined test in 2011, and I'd like to do more of that this coming year.

He is a dark buckskin, which is why you see the tortoise shell blend in his coloring. I had never heard of such a thing before I saw his sale ad. I researched it, and learned that buckskins originated as a mutation of bays, and the early ones were dark like him. Over the generations, people bred them to be lighter and lighter, so now you hardly ever see the original dark buckskins any more.

Dewey -- I agree about his nose. The photographer who took this was at a clinic we attended, and she obviously manipulated an image she got of him to make it more of an art shot. I've contacted her to see about buying the digital file, and seeing the original photo, as well as any others she may have of him from that day. I suspect she may have cut off his nose because his whiskers were so unsightly! We have not shown since June, and I don't see any reason to shave his whiskers, and take away some of his natural defenses, if we aren't showing. The opportunity to go to this clinic came up at the last minute, and I did not have a chance to groom him as meticulously as I would have liked, so he ended up going with some long hairs on his muzzle -- if it had not slipped my mind in the rush I was in, I would have at least trimmed them! Anyway, I am sure his whiskers could be photoshopped out, like she did with all of the rest of the background, if the photographer had wanted to include the nose.

Comment

• Dewey, I changed my profile pic to the one I wanted. I hope you can see that.

Tarheel - Tajar is beautiful and I love that picture!

Comment

• Tarheel, I thought the picture looked arty! It is beautiful, nose or no nose. Tajar is a gorgeous color, and what you say about the dark buckskin is quite interesting.

Jaslyn, I can see the picture now and see why you are so proud! Nice jump!

Comment

• Classyride, I love your pictures and the stories of all your horses. Your baby is so cute! She's so fancy looking.

Tarheel, Tajar is gorgeous! What a beautiful photo. Blow that one up and stick it on the wall!

Thanks for asking how I'm doing, Hazel. I'm OK. Depressed. I've been on overnights at work and I've been really sick and unable to rest to get better, so I feel like trash. Emotionally I still feel a void. I haven't been back to the barn since saying good bye to the horse because I've been sick, so emotionally it's like I've fallen off and didn't get back on, if that makes sense.
                                        To top it off, my personal life is crappy right now too. My mom in NJ still hasn't had power for a week and now they're going to get 6-9 inches of snow on top of it. I worry about her. My aunt just had surgery today for an adrenal tumor, lost a lot of blood, and is in the ICU in critical condition. I will try to go see her in Miami tomorrow but being sick myself, I'm trying to avoid spreading my germs. And my sister got laid off this week. I found out I have to work overnights on Thanksgiving as well. *sigh*
                                        I want to turn to my horses to make me feel better but I just feel physically so tired and emotionally so worn down that it's hard.

I have been searching online for more prospective horses to look at or buy but it seems like nothing is what I'm looking for. I guess I just have to be patient. I don't have a big budget so that unfortunately is a big limitation. It's the least of my worries at the moment, though.

Hope everyone stays warm and those in the Northeast dig out quickly!

Comment

• Pancakes - you definitely have more than your share on your plate right now. At the very least, I hope you can get some rest soon, and shake whatever illness is dragging you down.

Comment

Working...
                                          X