• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no -- so sorry Paradox. But do everything the doctors say so you can get back in the saddle, all healed up, as soon as possible.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• Sorry to hear the news Paradox. Jingles for a speedy and straightforward recovery

Comment

• Thanks, Tarheel and Hazel. I hope it heals well. It's going to be a tough couple of weeks not being able to not only ride, but just hang out in the barn. But, darn it, my husband will have to pick stalls for a while.
        “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
        ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Paradox, hope your ankle heals quicker than quick!
          And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• Oh so sorry Paradox. I hope you recover soon and in the meantime take advantage to do all the things that horse-time usually eat up

Comment

• Paradox, that sucks!!! Nothing worse than being sidelined when you don't feel it's the wrong call mentally, but right call medically.

Opus, I hope you're able to get back in the saddle soon. It sounds like you're keeping busy otherwise!

PH, I think you're totally right. 1.5 years wasn't wasted, though it seems like it at the time...that's life and the lessons it teaches us. If you're better for it, it wasn't a waste at all. Your work DID pay off, just with a different horse.

Well ladies and gents...I have an announcement!! I BOUGHT MY FIRST HORSE!

He's an 11 year old German Riding Horse (WB) gelding. He used to be a jumper, and then somehow changed hands several times to end up with a girl who wasn't able to ride him regularly. He apparently regularly jumps out of his paddock. He's SOOOO sweet and very good-natured. He made friends with the other horses in our barn already and has stood quietly for everything we've done so far. He moves like a dream! We just need to get him back into shape, add a lot of muscle, deworm him, take care of his feet, and get rid of that grass belly. But I'm just so thrilled to be able to own a horse...I have to pinch myself daily!

Here he is!!!
              In his previous home
              Us, together today
              Post-shaving and bath...love his conformation!!

I'll get a shot of us tomorrow before we head out to work, with his bridle on and not wet so you can see how handsome he really is

I need name suggestions! Something classy but not pretentious. Something with sentimental value is a bonus. Right now I'm floating around the idea of Falcor (like from the Neverending Story) but I need a barn name. I like Finn but I'm not sure of a show name then. Or any suggestions are welcome! Thanks for listening to my sqeee-ing. I've been dreaming of this my whole life!

Comment

• CONGRATULATIONS!!!! He is VERY handsome. And I LOVE the look on your face in the second picture. I am the worst for picking names so I don't think I'm much help there but I am very excited for you. Looking forward to more pictures . And squeeeee all you want, it's a huge reason to squee and we will all squee right along with you.

Comment

• Actually I like the look on his face in the second picture too. It looks like the feeling is mutual

Comment

• Congratulations Pancakes - so wonderful that your dream of your own horse has finally come true! And that "pinch yourself" feeling may last a long time. I have had Tajar for 3 years, and every now and then, I still look at him and can't believe he is mine.

As for names, I came up with Tajar's barn name by thinking of things with an association with when/how I came to fall in love with horses as a kid. Just an idea on what you can use for inspiration (his show name is his registered name, so I did not have to come up with 2 names).
                    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

• Pancakes, what a nice looking horse. He looks like a very solid citizen, a good first horse.

Paradox... ow ow ow! I hope you heal quickly.

For anyone who wants to see what the golden girl and I are up to (waiting for the vet/farrier who are coming on Thursday), go here. That was Saturday, before Sandy showed up.
                      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

• Pancakes, he is beautiful and I love love the expression on both your faces! His says, I have a mom, all my own!
                        And nothing bad happened!

Comment

• So, here is video of my boy doing his first cavalettis and crossrails off the farm! The first 35 seconds are repeated, just keep going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSgh-en1Njk

Video is such a great tool. Apparently I have developed the abominable habit of posting off the cantle and throwing my hips forward. I see no-stirrups work in my near future. Too many years of working with spooky babies has wreaked havoc with my formerly lovely equitation.
                          Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

• Pancakes, what a LOVELY horse!! I love him. Finn is cute. You can possibly show as Finnegan. Hmm.

quietann, your horse is beautiful!

Sing Mia Song, looks good! Nice, quiet, and willing!

Me: Day 2 of cast, and it's already getting old. I may need to go out to the barn today just to pet the "ponies". I'll be careful, though. My husband is being a trooper caring for everything.
                            ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Congratulations, Pancakes! You are a horse owner at last!

I love the pictures! He is very,very cute! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures with him.

I just read your thread on the Sport Horse Breeding forum, and what an exciting story is unfolding! I'd contact that farm right away and find out all they can tell you about your boy. I'd even hold off naming him. He may already have a fab registered name and maybe a cute barn name they gave him when he was young. Wouldn't that be cool?
                              I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• I had to go and read the other thread, too! That is pretty exciting. I hope you get some good information! He's such a cutey and it sounds like you will be an EXCELLENT home for him.
                                ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Just checking in briefly - letting down after all of the storm angst! That wind sounded so serious! And it kept knocking at the door!

ParadoxFarm - so that is why hubby was cooking! So sorry about the ankle. What a trooper you were to go for some time. When B bucked me off on the road last winter, it was also easier for me to ride, than walk, but at least I healed. Yikes, take care of yourself.

PaintedHunter - yay! What a handsome guy! Love his eyes! Looks like he will be a lot of FUN. Congrats!
                                  But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

• CVpeg, I plan to extra careful so I can heal up and get back to riding as soon as possible. I had a goal that I almost hit and now will likely have to start over a bit. Ah, well. A few days before the cast I did some really nice 3'6" jumps which I felt really good about. (My horse is wonderful.). I'm hoping my husband will take my lesson slot on Saturday. He rarely takes a lesson and I think it will be good for him and his grumpy horse. . Plus I still learn from watching others take lessons. I enjoy it.
                                    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Congratulations, Pancakes, and good to hear that Peg didn't get hammered too badly by Sandy. Sorry about your ankle, Paradox. Hang in there; we'll keep you entertained. Still not liking the new bb look, but I will try to adapt. Have a nice evening, everyone!
                                      It's 2017. Do you know where your old horse is?

www.streamhorsetv.com -- website with horse show livestream listings and links.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dewey View Post
                                        Congratulations, Pancakes! You are a horse owner at last!

I love the pictures! He is very,very cute! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures with him.

I just read your thread on the Sport Horse Breeding forum, and what an exciting story is unfolding! I'd contact that farm right away and find out all they can tell you about your boy. I'd even hold off naming him. He may already have a fab registered name and maybe a cute barn name they gave him when he was young. Wouldn't that be cool?
                                        Thank you!! Thank you everyone I have even CUTER pictures of him today. Every day I spend with him I think more of him. He's cute, handsome, and really really fancy once he gets going under tack. Yes, it would be so cool to hear about him as a baby! I will try to contact the farm and find out about him. I'd love to hear what his real name is, or at least find out his breeding. I'd like to name him something that has to do with his sire (same letter). If it is Amateur like others have suggested, I need "A" names! Today I think it's finally starting to sink in.

Pics from today:
                                        Do you have cookies?
                                        Lost in thought
                                        Showing his sweet nature and beautiful face
                                        He's a really lovely mover

Comment

• Pancakes, love the new pics! He is such a sweetie! Have you thought about insurance yet?

Jaslyn, so sorry for your frustrations, and may the mystery lameness clear up soon!

Opus, it's good to hear from you. I hope you're getting some riding time in at last, but it's nice to hear that the friendly neighborhood teen is helping you out. Make sure Oliver knows who his real mom is, though! Good luck with the saddle, and I'll be interested in how it turns out. Thanks for your nice comments about Sky's pics.

CVPeg, so glad you weathered the storm! DD is in college at Alfred, and she says they closed the campus yesterday.

Paradox, may your ankle heal quickly! We need you back jumping 3'6" soon, so we can all enjoy it vicariously.

quietann, hope your mare is doing OK. She is lovely--love her coloring.

Sky's right-to-left change has been pretty solid for awhile, but she seemed to have a mental block about the other one. Most of the time Sky lands on her right lead, so it's not an issue, but it bothers me that she won't do it when I ask. I mentioned it to my coach, and she didn't seem that concerned; she seemed to think it would come eventually since Sky has developed such a nice balanced canter. However, yesterday, the coach was sick , so no lesson. I got out my dressage whip and decided to work on it.

After warming up, I put her in a really big figure eight at the canter: right lead, flying change to left lead, simple change to right lead. Did this about three times and then asked for a flying change to right lead. No go. Stopped her and did simple change, and then continued. Flying change to left lead, asked again for change to right lead accompanied by tap with dressage whip. She gave a huge buck and came down cross cantering. I stopped, picked up right lead and continued. Flying change to left, came around and was about to ask for a simple change to the right lead, and she did a perfect left-to-right flying change on her own. I think she felt me shift my position and anticipated what I wanted. At last! I stopped her, praised her to the skies, and decided to quit even though I had been riding only about 35 minutes. I have been second-guessing myself and wondering whether I should have drilled it a bit more, but I wanted to end on the positive note. She's the type who, while in the pasture between rides, thinks about "issues" we've had and then, the next time I get on her, picks right up as if there was never a problem. Really hope that's the case here. I am ashamed to say how much I have been worrying about that lead change.

It is so good to have this group I can talk about these things with. DH is so supportive, but if I had explained the above, his eyes would have glazed over.
                                          Last edited by Dewey; Oct. 31, 2012, 09:56 AM.
                                          I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

Working...
                                          X