Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AllTheCarrots View Post
    *swoon* What a gorgeous tail on NTNWP, luckymaverick!

I should be on a horse right now, but my trainer had to cancel this week's lesson. (In her defense: Well in advance, for understandable reasons, blah blah blah) So instead I'm indulging my inner 12-year-old Horse Girl and looking at lease ads online.
    Same for me, no lesson this week. I am also perusing sales and lease ads. Hopefully this week ends fast, lol

Comment

Welcome new posters! Good luck with your lease shopping, haha. Shopping is dangerous.

Well, back from a successful weekend for my Saddle Up for St. Jude event. I'm exhausted. We didn't raise as much as usual, but with the change in venue and with COVID, I'm happy with it. We raised 12,767.00 this year. I know a lot of you have already seen the pics from Insta, but I'll post a few here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200927_174315_837.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	10740017 Riders getting ready to hit the trails.

Name:	IMG-20200926-WA0036.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	10740018 Silent auction goodies.

Name:	IMG-20200926-WA0012.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	10740019 Lunch location out on the trails. Beautiful scenery of Jamestown, TN. Me and my niece.
      My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

P.S. Lucky, I loved all the photos from the show!! Glad things in the end worked out well. No worry about getting help when help is needed. I would do the same.

Comment

PF- so glad your event went so well! Thanks for the kind words, I was rather beating myself up about it. I had fun playing photographer. Come to find out, one of the riders in lead line was a pediatric cancer patient who just finished her last treatment for stage 4 cancer.

Comment

lucky, aww...I bet that child had a blast in lead line! That really is wonderful. Kids and cancer, dear to my heart.

Comment

PF- she sure did. I could tell there was something special about them when I saw them.

Got a mid-week ride with Pony. I had big goals of forward trot and maybe even canter. I ended up playing “how many times an I miss my diagonal“. Finally got it without looking when I opened my hip angle and really relaxed.

Comment

Duplicate

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Out of almost nowhere I got a horse! Bennie is a 15.3 unregistered Appy. I found him at a barn in Phoenix and tried him on a very hot day. I got very dizzy, but he took good care of me. So my new trainer went to try him. She loved him, so a deal was a deal. He's a good mover and a cute jumper. He spent 3 years at a nice dressage barn in Phoenix, but they discovered he likes to jump when they were doing cavalleti. The dressage trainer is elderly and had too many horses, so this other h/j trainer took him to sell him, put 90 days on him, and the rest is history. He is very easy to ride. He goes on the bit very easily and moves off the leg really well. He goes in a loose ring French link snaffle. I'm still working on my nervousness, though.

UNfortunately, the first day I rode him at home I killed my knee. I blew out my meniscus, ACL, and MCL. After my lesson I was sliding down (not even jumping down) and landed funny, and my knee went sideways. It was so painful. (I had hurt it before in a fall of a horse.) So I haven't ridden him since. I probably could've, but I didn't want to take a chance. I have surgery on Thursday to clean up the meniscus. Whether the surgeon decides to do the ACL depends on what he sees when he gets inside the knee. If the meniscus is reparable, then he'll do the ACL. Truth be told, I'm not sure I'm rooting for that. The recovery on the meniscus clean up is a month, but the ACL is six months!!! I won't know what he decides to do until I wake up.

Meanwhile, I found a nice lady who rode as a junior to ride Bennie while I'm laid up. She rode the Big Eq (although not nationally) and is a nice soft rider. She may even half lease him as once schools go back (I'm a high school English teacher), I won't be able to ride him 5-6 days a week.

Here is a video of my trainer riding him:
                  https://www.facebook.com/762077264/v...8800428737265/

Name:	Bennie 1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	10740711
                  You hate that, dont you? Do you like oysters? You have to acquire a taste for oysters and the deep distance.
                  -- George H. Morris on learning to love the deep distance

Comment

I still need to catch up on (weeks?) of posts here! I wanted to provide an update on where I've been. I mentioned that I moved barns in July, and my guy was originally pretty good. He had to go in a stall for some part of the day, and he ended up switching pastures/buddies about 3 times. This month, he started acting up behaviorally. It started with a complete lack of drive to go forward - this wasn't totally unusual because he has had lazy days with me, and he is not a hot horse. However, pushing him forward resulted in some serious bucks. I had both my trainers ride him, and he tried to get both of them off. He succeeded in getting me off one time (in a sand arena and I did not hit my head thankfully). I thought that maybe I had created this issue but not being as consistent as I should with keeping him in front of the leg during my rides, but I also have a barn friend whose TB had some recent explosive behavioral problems that were due to...ulcers.

I really hadn't thought that he would be an ulcer-prone horse, but isn't that what we all think at first? His coat looks amazing, he's not sassy about girthing, his manure is solid...but I decided to scope anyway to be sure. I didn't want him to kill me because he's in pain. Turns out, he does have ulcers, so I am glad I scoped. We're doing the month of GastroGard, and I have basically turned him out to relax. He has his own small outdoor paddock around all the other horses; I don't want to risk having to keep moving him and changing his buddies. He seems ok with this arrangement, no nervous calling or anxious pacing at the gate.

So, I've decided not to do the three shows we had lined up for the rest of the year (one was last weekend). I'm planning to give him at least 3 weeks off from riding - this medication is expensive, and I want to make sure he heals properly. I'm sad he's in pain but also happy that I can treat it and hopefully found the cause of his behavioral issues. For the next four months, I am going to try feeding the following: alfalfa pellets + ration balancer (AM/PM), Ulcereraser (AM/PM), Uckele Aloe Vera (AM/PM), and SmartGI Ultra (PM). Timothy/alfalfa hay will be available all day/night. Based on what I have researched and what I have seen work with my friend, I am optimistic this will help, especially with no traveling or pasture moves for the rest of the year. I've read a ton of ulcer-related threads, but if anyone has something they swear by for long-term management, I'd love to hear it. His ulcers weren't the worst, but I want to make sure they don't come back.

Comment

MFDF -- LOVE your new pony! That's such awesome news. We tend to get horses when we least expect it. And I'm so sorry about your accident. Sending happy healing vibes your way. Can't wait to hear more about your new boy. I have a soft "spot" for Appys.

ridernc, so sorry about the ulcers. It's amazing at how many horses really do have ulcers. I hope the time off and meds mend him right up for you. I was doing the alfalfa pellets for my horses for a while. One horse did okay on it. One horse became quite nutty, so we stopped that. Also, make sure nothing else is bothering him physically. I think the time off will help and you'll be able to tell when you start him back up. Good luck!! Keep us posted.

Nothing much new here. Recovering from the long fundraising weekend and back to work! Gotta pay for all that stuff I bought at the auction, haha.

Comment

MFDF- I’ll echo the congrats! Lots of healing jingles for you. How old is Bennie? I also have a soft spot for Appys- my old hunter was a solid App save one spot on his upper lip. He was the Goodest boy, except when asked to be a trail pony. I wish you many happy adventures

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFitzDarcy&Feliks View Post
                          Hi Everyone,

Out of almost nowhere I got a horse! Bennie is a 15.3 unregistered Appy. I found him at a barn in Phoenix and tried him on a very hot day. I got very dizzy, but he took good care of me. So my new trainer went to try him. She loved him, so a deal was a deal. He's a good mover and a cute jumper. He spent 3 years at a nice dressage barn in Phoenix, but they discovered he likes to jump when they were doing cavalleti. The dressage trainer is elderly and had too many horses, so this other h/j trainer took him to sell him, put 90 days on him, and the rest is history. He is very easy to ride. He goes on the bit very easily and moves off the leg really well. He goes in a loose ring French link snaffle. I'm still working on my nervousness, though.

UNfortunately, the first day I rode him at home I killed my knee. I blew out my meniscus, ACL, and MCL. After my lesson I was sliding down (not even jumping down) and landed funny, and my knee went sideways. It was so painful. (I had hurt it before in a fall of a horse.) So I haven't ridden him since. I probably could've, but I didn't want to take a chance. I have surgery on Thursday to clean up the meniscus. Whether the surgeon decides to do the ACL depends on what he sees when he gets inside the knee. If the meniscus is reparable, then he'll do the ACL. Truth be told, I'm not sure I'm rooting for that. The recovery on the meniscus clean up is a month, but the ACL is six months!!! I won't know what he decides to do until I wake up.

Meanwhile, I found a nice lady who rode as a junior to ride Bennie while I'm laid up. She rode the Big Eq (although not nationally) and is a nice soft rider. She may even half lease him as once schools go back (I'm a high school English teacher), I won't be able to ride him 5-6 days a week.

Here is a video of my trainer riding him:
                          https://www.facebook.com/762077264/v...8800428737265/

Name:	Bennie 1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	10740711
                          I've just been a lurker for quite a while now, but have to poke my nose in --

It's been really nice here lately, only up to 103!! Pleasantly balmy for us Arizonans. Seems you are taking him up north? Be sure you don't let him get too cold this winter. He won't be accustomed and will need to adjust.
                          “It’s up to you the voters to decide the future of our democracy. So get out and vote. ... As Abraham Lincoln said, the best way to predict the future is to choose it.” Professor Allan Lichtman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrowette View Post

I've just been a lurker for quite a while now, but have to poke my nose in --

It's been really nice here lately, only up to 103!! Pleasantly balmy for us Arizonans. Seems you are taking him up north? Be sure you don't let him get too cold this winter. He won't be accustomed and will need to adjust.
                            We find it takes 3 years for a horse (and humans) to adjust.

Even now Dodge starts shedding a week before the other 2.
                            It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

RiderNC: I fought ulcers for about 6 months straight and then was on a constant watch for them. Do you know what type of ulcers you would and what grade? As for maintenance, your plan looks really good to me. I would consider alfalfa hay over pellets bc the chewing gets more saliva and that’s helpful for digestion. It’s also idea to give it before riding. Something to consider. I’ve tried most every supplement and I’m not sure really if one works better than the others. I think what is most impactful is turnout and access to hay. So I think you’re in great shape. FWIW, my horse didn’t show signs of girthiness or poor coat or even acting differently on the ground. He just got really spooky under saddle. It was hard to know exactly bc by nature he was on the spooky side. So what’s great is you know what to look for that they might be coming back.

Mrs Fitz WOW he looks superb and how lovely that he has a dressage background. I’m positive that will give you a lot of confidence once you gain your strength. Fingers crossed you’re not out of the tack for too long!

PF CONGRATS on the fabulous dressage results, you must be so stinking proud! I hope you’re recovering from St Judes, I know that takes a lot of work to organize. I think all things considered, you guys did great work. Giving has been pretty poor this year apart from some initial swells when COVID began.

Four2Farm I have two awesome horses and I STILL peruse online horse sale ads. Why!!!

As for me, the horses had a really great couple of weeks not jumping, with some trail riding, stretching, and then last week an absolute pole-a-pallooza. I think one of the days my trainer had 20 poles out. It was really good for me to do slow and steady and (theoretically?) meticulous work. Hudson is just so easy to flat and work with poles, while Duty we are still trying to figure out the right bit. But it’s getting better and man, when he is really straight and balanced and stepping under, he just feels like a completely different horse.

Today we did a few jumps and I struggled to get in the groove after a long break of not jumping. My trainer said something I loved which was “if you stay calm, you can get away with more mistakes”. And I just thought that’s really true, sometimes I get so down bc I didn’t find a good distance and I panic and jump Ahead or throw away the contact or whatever and then keep worrying about it cantering away from the jump like a dingle. The calmer I am and the more “supporting” leg I consistently keep, the better. I feel like one habit I have on course is in the corners or after a great jump, I really soften and come away from the horse, like I’m trying to give them a break. But the problem is I lose all the connection and all the impulsion and when I come back online so to speak, it’s really jarring for the horses and hard to get quality canter. I’m better off just staying connected and not cruising the corners willy-nilly.

So those were my silly light bulb moments. Calm before anything else and leg always... what a revelation

Comment

Popping in to catch up!

Welcome to our new posters! Can’t wait to follow your adventures.

Greys - a riding truism, more leg is always the answer. I’m a huge fan of pole work. After all, jumping is not really about the jump, it’s the flat work in between. Sounds like your guys handle it so differently it’s a mental workout for you also. Keep up the good work!

​​​​​​​PF - congrats on both your dressage results and that fantastic St. Jude event! You might not have raised as much as in years past but, it’s still $12,000. more than they had. Such a great cause.

​​​​​​​Lucky - don’t beat yourself up about the warm up ride. It’s not easy to go into a strange area with lots of people doing lots of different things. I always say discretion is the better part of valor and you had the presence of mind to stop before things really started going south! Loved the pictures on IG, such a variety - all so lovely.

​​​​​​​MrsFitz - congrats! Bennie looks lovely. The good ones fall into our lap when we don’t expect it. So sorry about your injury, I hope the doctor goes the quick recovery route for you!

​​​​​​​Faye - I think you’ve already decided not to lease at this time. PF was spot on in her advice. You’ve come so far with this trainer, you don’t want to start doubting yourself on a horse that’s still figuring things out a bit himself. Sure, lesson on him (and others) and when the time is right, you’ll know.

When last you heard from me DD was having an MRI for a suspected fracture in her hip. MRI confirmed it. She’s now been non-weight-bearing for 4 of six weeks. It’s been quite a challenge for her - more emotionally than physically as riding is her release from the stress of work (and her work has been stressful as one of her roles is global mobility and, as you can imagine, that is rather complicated with Covid travel restrictions!) I’m helping out with her puppy, also complicated as one of my dogs is a very Alpha female, but we’re working it out. Her doctor has also told her he’ll want her to protect the hip for an additional six weeks after she’s off crutches (ie, no riding). I’m pretty sure she won’t make it the whole six weeks.... On a happier note, I’ve had some nice easy rides on G. Trainer has been at shows so no lessons recently but that’s ok. Fall is my favorite time to ride.

Comment

PF: Thank you! I haven't tried to ride him since the introduction to alfalfa so we shall see, though I wouldn't hate him being a little nuttier - he's usually so slow! 😂 I want to do a PPE on him sometime this year because I am considering buying him, and it seems like sooner would be better than later now to confirm if he has anything else ouchy going on. I'm going to talk to my vet about it at the rescope.

Greys: Ugh, that is no fun. I have a friend who just went through something similar, so her experience and research has been super helpful. He has moderate gastric ulcers. My vet didn't seem alarmed by them and was confident 30 days of treatment would be sufficient (my friend had to do more than 60 days!). He should be getting a timothy/alfalfa hay in a hay net 2x a day (inside and out) + the alfalfa pellets 2x a day. I will see if there's an opportunity to incorporate more of the hay, that's good to know. I am there at some point every day, so I make sure his hay net is completely stuffed! He also didn't really show many traditional ulcery signs--my trainer was almost convinced he couldn't have ulcers but recommended I scope anyway because I have MM insurance--but I did notice he was getting much spookier than normal; this is the horse that did not spook for 2 full months of riding suddenly spooking 2-3x a ride. I chalked it up to a new riding environment and changing season but...guess not. The Ulceraser looks AMAZING by the way. It looks like human granola.

Lost: I'm sorry to hear about DD. 😞 It must be tough to hear that many weeks of no riding. But at least it sounds like you're getting some nice Fall weather!

Comment

Lost- continued jingles for DD and you!

Greys- what great insights. Even though we don’t really jump, I think the calmness and more leg still applies. I have a hard time with more leg as my instinct screams to pull and stop- hence the warm up ring debacle.

Jingles would be appreciated for my mom- Granny Dot is driving her crazy and we need her to realize that home alone is a no-go. Granddad’s place has room and the staff has even talked to her about it, pre COVID when she would visit every day.

Comment

Is Grand Dad still still there? If so that sounds perfect for Granny to go there.

ARgh at the fractured hip. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

My lesson is today. I haven't had one for what seems like a year.

We put the float on the new ute yesterday, I am glad of the public holiday and hubby and I both being home. We had to put smaller high tensile legal d bolts on the safety chains as the thicker one wouldn't do up. Then hubby cut a link off the chain as it was now too long.

Typing that up LOL I am going to ask hubby why we didnt just remove the thicker ones as they are useless as a chain is only as strong as its weakest link which is the thinner ones. DOH!

He also changed the height if the float on the tow bar. To start with it was so low you couldn't use the jockey wheel.

I have added a new job. Putting bread up in the local supermarket 6 morning a week. SQQQUUUEEEE a job in the local town. With the audits at the other supermarkets on the weekends, I am working 7 days a week for 3 weeks this month.

That also means it is added to all my other jobs!!!

So I am going into work early. I am not doing it alone yet so I did not cancel my lesson. I will discuss other times/days with my instructor in person. I will wear what I am going to ride in! I will take off all the returns and put up all the bread for yesterday and if the trucks come beforehand I will put up new stuff until 8am.

Home by 8.15am. The float is still on the ute. I will pack the grooming gear and tack. My boots, helmet and gloves. Put boots etc on Stars and U hope to he loading him by 8.45am. My lesson is at 10.30am just over an hour away.

Yes I am excited. No I haven't been asleep for hours. Who needs sleep!

You have to love hubby. I stay at Mum's Saturday night with the audits. Hubby said he will bring Stars for me early Sunday mornings. Then I can have a lesson before starting the audits and he will take him home again. I will ask about that day and time first.

It would also be cooler for Stars riding and travelling.

Stars and I are not fit! I bet there will be heavy breathing and walk breaks. The heavy breathing from me!

I have worked out that I don't have to change anything in the mornings. Hubby works Sim. I get on and ride while hubby makes up feeds. I put Sim away. I hop in the shower while hubby feeds. Then I ride Stars in the afternoon when hubby rides Dodge after work.

Sim told me that hubby does not ask for canter at x crossing the diagonal. Then he told me hubby does not ask for canter on the long side. Sim is also starting to stand at a halt on a loose rein any where in the arena, and I have started asking for walk canter transitions.

Stars I am much happier with. The walking to warm up was.not.working. I was feeling so frustrated. Stars was not a happy camper, it was taking hours.

Now I hop on and walk forward and go straight into trot on a loose rein. Twice around, change direction. Trot around twice change to his good way and ask for canter. He is now cantering down the long side. With the walking to warm up I couldn't get him to canter for aaaggeesss. And only got it once or twice.

Then I change rein and canter the other way. Then pick up long and low and work on trot and I can canter whenever I want. Then I pick him up to work.

I have even started asking for walk canter transitions!

Hubby trimmed his hooves on Saturday. He had Sunday off. He wanted to go in the deeper parts of the arena yesterday. The lesson is a bit deeper than our arena but hopefully he will be more forward with being away from home.

Comment

Lucky: Heaping, dumptruck amounts of jingles for your mom and Granny Dot. This is a really tough situation.

I forgot to explain a timer walk. At most shows, they have open divisions and then junior amateur divisions, where pro's cannot ride. Usually at the end of the show, there are the jumper classics, which typically have prize money. In order to compete in the classic, you have to compete in at least one of that divisions classes during the week. But sometimes, those classes aren't held in the ring you like, or you can't show on the day of those classes, or this is the week you maybe want to try moving up but not for the whole divison and you still want to jump a classic at the end of the week.

So let's say I'm jumping the 1.20 AOs but I am ready to start moving up. I may jump the 1.30m AO, but I don't want to jump that classic at the end of the week, bc it's usually a tougher course set to 1.35m.

So I will do what's called a timer walk, where I enter the 1.20 AO class and break the timer beam but don't jump the course. Many shows won't even make you break the timer beam, they will just mark that you entered and did not show, which still allows you to do the classic.

We wanted my mom to show, so we had her do a timer walk as an entry, which was fun for her and allowed her to be at the show.

Hopefully that's helpful!

Comment

Greys I have never heard of anything like that before.

Lesson done. We have now changed to an. Afternoon during the week s9 as it won't interfere with work.

He came over to see the new ute when we arrived and said Matchy Matchy. Silver ute and float. I hadn't even realised that. That was just a coincidence and not by design.

He said all the things I knew he would say, that Stars had trained me to be happy with the bare minimum. I amm too soft a rider and that Stars is very relaxed.

He said he could see my riding changing to do as he asked but it is not effective as he wants to see a change from Stars. He doesn't care what it is. Head up with dislike or whatever but there must be a reaction.

He was very happy with my downward transition from trot to walk. He wanted me to sit and walk on the 4th step. I got a good every time.

We worled on the getting a reaction. He wanted me to use the whip. But I actually faked that!!!! I know. I know. Too soft, but he doesn't like being hit and I will have to work my way up mentally to actually hitting him with it. I did tap him in walk
                                          And when he was going more forward in trot as he accepts more then as an aid and not punishment. When he is not forward he sees it as punishment.

Apparently my left hand is going out and down when I am going to the left. This is causing him to hyperflex.

So my homework is left hand up and forward. Get a reaction. Leg yield on the circle to the outside and do squares.

I will go and do that now.

He was sweating with foam between his back legs we finished and wanting to canter. Lets see if I can replicate that at home.

Comment

Working...
                                          X