Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar- super excited for you and your crew!! Three tests in two days because results are slow as molasses and if I don’t have proof of a negative, I get tested every facility I go in. Only one building has the bad to the grey matter (it feels like it anyway) test- I had that one and a shallow one yesterday.

Outlaw is doing well- super feisty and so nosy. He keeps curling his lip to see if I have snacks when I pet him, then he settles and I can get all the itchy spots.

Comment

Thanks PF! The biggest thing I'm overthinking is turnout, I had posted elsewhere about night turnout, but I'm still torn on night versus day. I get paranoid thinking about one of them getting hurt and me not knowing until morning, but I also love the idea of them having far more time out than on day turnout! They're miserable if they're out past 11 at my current barn, but the pastures have no shade, so the horses just roast in the sun. My pasture has shade trees they can stand under, or they can go into the woods and really get out of the sun, so I'm not sure if they'd mind being out all day long or not. I guess I'll find out soon enough!

I didn't even think about the rocks on your property. I'm sure its beautiful, but yeah, probably makes things like putting in fencing or clearing trails a challenge! As for the EPM meds, my sister in laws horse is having a hard time with EPM, she had tried the cheaper meds first (now I can't think of the name) but he's doing much better on Protazil, although it isn't cheap. He's also older, I think around 20, I can ask her what all she's tried if you'd like, I know she's been dealing with it for over a year now.

Suzie - You did such a great job with Ace, I'm sure she is really excited to be bringing him home!

Lucky - Ahh, I get it now. What a pain (pun intended!) I've heard from other people that they it's a really unpleasant test!

Barn tour to come in following post! Not shown is the tack room, it's the one room I haven't gotten around to organizing yet and looks like a bomb went off lol! So, it's feed room, 3 stalls (one is a foaling stall) and a wash stall.

Comment

Comment

Sugar, loving your barn. It's beautiful. Love the pups, too!! Did you concrete the aisle and stalls? I'm trying to figure out what to do in my aisle, stalls. Right now it's still just packed dirt. The aisle have rubber conveyor belt rolls, but that's not a permanent solution. Also, how wise is your wash/tack stall? Is that what I'm seeing? I love seeing other barns! And how many stalls did you put in? Are you still involved with a commercial facility? Sorry so many questions. I'm sure you're super excited to get your ponies home!

I had Chico on ReBalance. It did seem to help. Yes, I'd love to hear more about any other meds if you feel like asking! I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Oh, another thing, you may decide to do night turnout if you have bad horse flies. We do here during the day. The flies drive my ponies nuts after a while. And here in TN, it's a bit too hot to turn them out with fly sheets mid-day. So we try to stick with night turnout.

ETA...I just now see you mentioned 3 stalls. Gotcha!
          My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

If they can go out. Put them out. The frog on a horses hoof is for pumping blood back up the legs. That doesn't happen with a stable.

For the best of both worlds open the gate and let them choose.
            It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

luckymaverick sorry about all the COVID tests...they certainly sound unpleasant. Yikes.

ParadoxFarm jingles for Chico. It's definitely tough watching them struggle as they age.

SuzieQNutter good to hear that Ace is heading home and that he and his person have made a lot of progress with your help.

SugarCubes your barn is lovely! I like those big, open, airy stalls. Your pasture sounds nice too. I wish the pastures where I board had trees. They've got nice loafing sheds, but the horses rarely use them...only to escape bugs and rain. The rest of the time they bake in the sun.

So, it's 4:00 am and I've been up since a thunderstorm at about 2:30. Can't get back to sleep...so thought I'd check COTH! Not much happening with Milton. He's trying to sweat, and at least is sweating around his ears and face and gets somewhat damp on his neck and chest. We had a couple of days reprieve from the outrageous heat, but it was back up yesterday with the heat index reaching 106 yesterday. The heat itself isn't the problem, it's the god awful humidity that makes it absolutely unbearable. Milton's breathing issues (as yet, undiagnosed...looks like I may have to address it at some point...didn't worry about it when he was a pasture ornament with free access to a shady stall with a fan at my old place) are exacerbated when it's really humid. Especially when he can't sweat enough to efficiently cool himself off. Still, I've managed to get out there a couple of times a day to hose him off in the most brutal parts of the day.

The best news is that his feet are feeling better. He was really ouchy for several days, but yesterday showed definite improvement. I skipped the chiro appointment this time because his feet were so tender that just standing in the barn aisle was making him miserable. I didn't feel like he'd have a good session if he was all tensed up due to sore feet. Thankfully he walked into the barn much more sound yesterday and just seems more comfortable overall. His left hind fetlock has been swollen since Monday (farrier actually noticed it before me) and he was kind of gimpy on that too, so I gave him bute for a few days for that and his feet. Yesterday was the first day he didn't need bute, so that's progress. I'm anxious to get on him again and see how he goes with his new feet. I might try this weekend, though it's supposed to be brutally hot, and I don't want to rush into it if he's at all sore still. Then Monday and Tuesday we've got a hurricane we're watching, plus I have to go into work at least one of those days (if the hurricane doesn't hit).

Comment

In california here (bay area), we all wear masks when going into stores. I have a mask with me when i am running outside, only put it on when i come across people. Suzie, not sure what you are reading, but do not believe when someone said masks are dangerous. Just imagine if you go to surgery, the surgeon said "nope, not gonna wear a mask".

Sugar: I'm super jealous of your gorgeous barn! You have some great taste! And the puppies in the stall melts my heart!!

PF: Jingles to chico!! Hope he is doing better?

RnC: Good that his feet are better!! Good idea on skipping chiro till hes not as sore. Let us know if you do get to hop on him!

We have a new. lesson horse at the barn! He is a 17H TB, plain brown, but oh so cute!! One of the more advanced rider was riding him in lesson, and he seems a little anxious, but its his first day here, so expected.

Comment

Faye it is not the masks that is dangerous, it is the way they are used.

like the woman eating a hamburger with a mask around her neck.

The lady who wears a mask then takes it down to talk to a cashier. They are touching the mask when you are better off not touching your face.

The mask may stop someone with Corona giving it to others. If you get corona virus on the outside of the mask and then touch it and then your face it will not stop you getting it.

There are now hand sanitizers stations at almost every shop. Ones where you can put your hand under it and it automatically dispenses. Where it has missed the hands it goes on a metal tray. That metal tray has been eaten through by the Sanitizer on a lot of them.

Comment

Rhythm/Sugar- the COVID tests are not the most fun- all but the bad one are just slightly bothersome, it’s more the principle of “having stuff shoved up your nose” more than once a week.

Comment

Suzie: Got you. Well, we are not all borned with skills to wear a mask. Education definitely is needed. There are people that argue, wear masks make people touch their face, there are others that the masks makes me conscious about NOT touching my face.
                      when you're eating, you gotta take the masks off, mask does not mean it overrides social distancing or handwashing. It does help to prevent the transmission, of course it is not 100%, but it helps, even a little.

Lucky: How often do you have to test again? Do you feel safe working there? I wish they have the saliva test. Nose swabs are awful!

Lesson today was absolutely fantastic. I always want to throw up when my trainer is setting the course. The jumps looks extra high and the oxers looks super wide, once i'm on course, it was all funsies I give the credit to my fantastic baby mare that is so honest and will jump anything, athletic enough to get us over no matter the spot. My trainer loves to play with our track, so that is something I really need to focus on. I tend to la la la, then shoot, i next jump is here, need to turn NOW, bless the mares heart, packs me around like a champ!

Comment

LOL FAYE. I remember the first time I walked the cross country course at Park Ridge Pony Club. It was so scary I was in tears. Silvertone made it so easy.

Stars was not himself yesterday. He was gone each time I came out of the tack shed to groom and tack and that was with a halter on and the lead rope dropped.

He totally ignored me to start with with the reins wrapped twice around his neck and we walk together around the paddock with the arena when I don't lunge first.

Half way around he came back to me. I think he was actually looking for Ace. Dufus did you not see him leave in the float and it came back empty!

After that he was fine. I hopped on, straight into trot and we had a canter both ways. 5 minutes. Not one no. I brought him forward to walk and did a bit of shoulder in. It was getting late as I had to work, so I hopped off to put his winter rug on.

2 weeks ago with trying to walk to warm him up that was impossible and so not working.

Trotting straight away and staying in it seems to be working. YAY.

Comment

Faye- in a typical week, I test on Tuesday since that’s closest to the house and I pick up weekends there a lot. I feel safe as anywhere I guess- safer at work than out and about that’s for sure. We have surgical masks and some places have the shields for us PRN folks. I’m just careful and gown up for every patient coming from the hospital since those are the ones in the 10-14 day quarantine. I’m scared when we open back to the public- we’ve been so careful and every building has had cases, even in the lockdown of no visitors. On a happier note- so glad your lesson went well and I’m glad your trainer is working on the hard/fun stuff. Did you ride Elsa or the new guy?

I had fun at my lesson, too. We got to ride with E. She was on Buddy who will be her full show horse for all the rated classes leaving Pony demoted to the Academy local scene with me. Buddy is more work than Pony, so for once I got to be the good kid in class instead of the problem to be fixed. Had some really good collected trot work, only twinged my neck a little and I toughed it out. Got to love on the baby- his barn name is Arness, so I stick to Outlaw 😀

I think I’m finally getting riding fit- I didn’t take any extra breaks and when I did my workout afterwards, I didn’t fall over doing single leg dead lifts and only lost balance once during the other exercises.

Comment

PF - Thank you, I’m really happy with how it turned out The barn was already somewhat finished when we bought the place, insulated, concrete floors, electric and plumbing installed. So really all we had to do was put in stall kits! I do love how easy the concrete is to keep clean, but I wish it had a broom finish, it’s slick which required a ton of mats to make safe! We have 3 stalls, but one can be split. The wash rack is 8x10 which I was worried would be a little narrow but even Lucca who is almost 17hh has no trouble turning around in it.

Rhythm - Great news about Miltons feet, and glad to hear he’s starting to sweat a bit more. Crossing my fingers some cooler weather comes your way!

Faye - Thanks so much, I’m so happy having them home again!! St Louis, and particularly where I am, has had a massive surge in cases and we now have a mandatory mask order and bars and restaurants must close at 10pm and operate at 25% capacity. More local horse shows just has to cancel. Frustrating! So awesome you’re having so much fun on the baby mare! Is she a jumper?

Lucky - That baby is too cute! I have foal fever right now!! Sounds like a great lesson and hooray for improved fitness! For me, seeing the difference it makes in my riding is all it takes to keep me motivated with working out!

Suzie - I think it’s such a confidence boost when a jump looks super scary but then your horse jumps it like it was nothing. Always reminds me how athletic they are!

Speaking of athletic, I had a wild lesson on Lucca Saturday! As quiet as she is, she can be reactive when she’s fresh and without turnout (one reason I’m thrilled she’s home - turnout EVERY day!) so we’re working on more jumpery courses and I’m cantering and someone walks by the back door of the indoor and she rears first then the hind end came up and then all four feet were off the ground. No clue how I stuck it but my trainer said all four hooves were higher than her head and she looked like one of the Lipizzaner stallions LOL! The fun part was she did it two more times.... actually was a really fun lesson though, apparently I like her a little spicy haha!

My two have settled in nicely, I have another horse coming today!

Comment

Sugar, I sometimes think a smaller tackup area is beneficial. Less room to wiggle around. Anyway, you have a very nice barn. Is the third horse going to be a boarder? Or did you get another? And WOW with sticking with Lucca! I'm sure I would flown off.

lucky, glad you had a good lesson! And kudos to you for getting more fit. It's a challenge for us all!

Suzie, glad Stars ended with a good ride.

Faye, glad you had a good lesson, too! I love this comment, "it was all funsies".

RNC, glad Milton's feet are feeling better. It does take a little time. And I hope his inability to sweat lightens soon. It's cooler here this week. And by cool I mean upper 80ºs as opposed to 90ºs! I'm going to enjoy it till it gets hot again.

Well, the dressage show tests results are in. In Training Level Test 1, I got first place, with a 68.077% (yay!). And in Training Test 2 I got a second place with a score of 67.414%. Thrilled with those results. I await the score sheet with the judge's comments. Next show is in September.
                              My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

Woohoo!!! That's awesome, PF, congrats!! Could you see the improvement between the last tests and these more recent ones? I think it's just such a great tool to have these virtual shows, I love that you get real feedback and I think it really holds riders accountable and motivated to continue to progress in their riding!

Third horse is a boarder, she actually belongs to my trainer but had a suspensory injury this past year so she's planning to breed her next spring. Hoping to get a couple of pasture boarders and some sales horses in in the next few months, but we're still having some work done on the property to prepare for that!

Comment

Sugar: Oh my!! That comes with the package of an athletic horse! But all four higher than the head is a bit scary! Glad you have velcro seats! Mare is only 4 so no show mileage whatsoever, i feel like she can be both hunter/jumper, she's very steady. I asked my trainer last week if we could practice some hunter courses, and she was like, ummmm no, i don't do hunters :P. we tend to practice a ton of tight tracks, different approaches, she got me from mortified of approaching at an angle to be fairly comfortable. What really helps of course, is the willing, brave mare. Her name is a little scary though for a TB, (Smokin Hot), she is not at all HOT, not sure why the name!

PF: WOOHOO!!! First place!! Celebratory indeed!! And second place too! Looking forward to hear the comments!

Lucky: Any news of when they will open to public? That would be terrifying. Also with schools about to open in many places, with kids being the vector, i can't even imagine. I haven't been riding Elsa for awhile, i've been riding another 4 year old that was started by my trainer last year, Elsa is a paint, and this mare is a bay TB with socks. So fun!

I can't believe its Monday already~

Comment

HAHAHA I called it PF. You won and that was also the reason that I said you do not look to show under different judges. It is much more successful to win under the same judge so you know you have improved.

Faye over here Smokin hot means, really sexy. Pepper I used to compete as Hot Pepper.

Sugar every time you post about Lucca it is the same as Stars. That is what I meant when I said that Stars doesn't just buck, but he jumps and then bucks. Maybe I should have said he leaps and then bucks while in the air.

So if Lucca is like Stars conformationally as well as mentally and is doing that because of the same conformation, I have had 2 instructors who have said he can take the weight behind and will be able to take me up the levels.

He did it with his former owner at a cross country day.

He did it one day going up the second side of a dip. OMG the immense power. I guess that is what it is like to sit on a capriole. Like you I did not get unseated and because it was quite steep, he only ended up a couple of inches from where he took off. How far forward did Lucca land?

I can tell you when I got to the 2nd dip I hopped off and led him home! Going through the dip we go through going the other way. I walk up and keep hold of the reins! Touchwood he hasn't done it again. Before doing it that last time when I mounted down there he was shaking. Whether from fear or overexcited, I won't do that again either!

So on the basis of them being very similar. What did you have injected into her back? How much? Where injected? Improvements? How long does it last? How much did it cost, etc, etc etc.

I won't be able to ride today, at this point maybe this week. Things to do instead. I have to go and clean up what the Tenant left behind in the house I sold, so that might be more than one day. They said they want all gates, steel, tyres gone.

To me gates I can bring back here, tyres can be turned into jumps, steel if hubby doesn't want it they give you money for scrap steel.

Friday they are predicting a lot of rain so that will probably be Friday, Saturday, Sunday with no riding.

Comment

Sugar- that sounds like some seriously tight eq to sit Lucca. I would have been a lawn dart for sure.

Faye- no clue when any of my buildings will open- some have active cases caught in house and some are taking actives from the hospital. Now your IG pics make sense- Smokin Hot is super cute.

PF- congrats on your tests. You guys have such a fun partnership to watch

Comment

Suzie: That's what it means here too, but for a TB, it can also means that the horse has no brakes ?? LOL like Rocket Launcher, or some other funny names!

Lucky: stay safe!! Being in the front line is so difficult! Yes! I hope people don't think that i'm calling myself smokinhot!!

Comment

Suzie - Yes!! Sounds like Stars has the same move as Lucca! I've seen her do it a few times on the lunge line and thought to myself, I hope you never do that when I'm on your back! Like Stars, she landed pretty much where she left the ground! She's not a spooky horse whatsoever, so at least I know what her go to move is when she is feeling fresh and now I know I can ride it out! As for the injections, she has issues with her coffin joint, so that's what was injected. I have a new farrier coming to do some corrective shoeing on her this week which should help too.

Faye - I actually think that name is super cute! There are so many bad TB names - remember my old gelding, Cyber Bully?! YUCK!! Smokin Hot kind of sounds like a QH name too! She sounds like she's going to be a cool horse, you have to love that how mature those young TBs are compared to the warmbloods.

Comment

Working...
                                          X