Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SuzieQNutter your story about Stars and the water trough made me remember that Milton used to go to get a drink at the end of our ride (back when I had my own place and we rode in the pasture) and I'd ride him over and let him get a drink. He'd always open his mouth wide and plunge his head in up to his eyeballs and blow bubbles. I'm with you...I think drinking with a bit has to be very difficult. Eating with one too. I've never been a fan of giving treats when there is a bit in. The barn where I am now, people do it all the time and even let the horses graze with bits on. I was always taught that was a no-no when I was growing up.

Today was AMAZING! The saddle-fitter came, and first of all, I now have a new favorite human being. He's fabulous (the fact that he lavished me with compliments and was charming and handsome probably helped, LOL). So...here are the highlights:
    1. Milton is definitely 100% back to his old self. Walked in the barn, even with vehicles running right outside of it and stuff he'd never seen sitting everywhere inside, and never batted an eye. Walked in, put him on the cross-ties, and he was immediately chill and happy. Remained chill and happy the entire session, even for his hose down in the wash rack afterward. Just an angel. That makes me happier than anything.
    2. I cannot even remember everything I learned today and all of the enlightening and delightful conversations I had with the saddle-fitter, but needless to say I learned a lot and also had a lot of validation that I do, in fact, know what I'm doing. My hunches and concerns about the saddle fit were pretty accurate, and thankfully, very fixable.
    3. The saddle now fits Milton perfectly! The tree was a bit too wide, so using the Genesis system that was an easy fix. There was also an area where it was bridging a little, so some extra flocking added in those places, and voila!
    4. Thankfully, the Mattes saddle pad is good to go too. Saddle-fitter said it was good for his back and not causing any problems now that the saddle is fitting properly.
    5. Rode while saddle-fitter watched and gave feedback, and Milton was back to his totally relaxed and "lazy" way of going before all hell broke loose back in the spring. Saddle-fitter (who is a rider himself and knows dressage well) was very pleased with how Milton went, and was complimentary of him and me, which was nice. Saddle felt great, Milton felt great...did prompt and relaxed transitions into the canter even though he wasn't terribly "forward" (more on that later), I was able to keep my position better, and the word the saddle-fitter used was that Milton and I looked "harmonious".
    6. Afterward, we sat around and talked a bit, and he and I discussed that what I had thought was Milton being "forward" over the past few weeks was actually him being very tense, and that could have very well come from his back and the ill-fitting saddle. He said that what he saw when I was riding was good, and that he liked his trot and canter out there. Left to my own devices, I would have been pushing him for a lot more SPEED than that and I think that's where I've been going wrong. I've been confusing "faster" with "forward" and that's just not it. I know this, but when you spend most of your time riding alone and trying to figure things out yourself, you sometimes screw up. Saddle-fitter said Milton was pushing from behind and while he's not going to have huge, lofty movement (he's a western pleasure bred Appaloosa), he was relaxed in his back, balanced, had good rhythm, was pushing from behind, and was swinging freely from his shoulder (which the saddle had been messing up prior to the adjustment). Milton is what they call in the western pleasure world "slow legged". It's a very sought after trait for western pleasure horses, and he has it. He takes long, flat, slow strides that sometimes feel like he's not "going forward enough" but in fact is just how he moves. I think I was rushing him beyond his natural rhythm in my attempts to get him "forward". Nope. I basically was making him sore and miserable.
    7. I'm so grateful for everything I learned. It was like getting a lesson and a lot of sage advice along with the saddle being fitted properly. He gave me suggestions on how to ride Milton for now to kind of rehabilitate his back (lots of stretching for at least half of the ride), and he said eventually, as he builds strength, he'll just get better and better.
    So, it was a fabulous day. I'm over the moon that my boy is happy and comfy again, and that his saddle fits him now!

Comment

R&cruise I'm with you. No eating with a bit in. I also do not give sugar cubes. My instructor is as scared of me as hubby which equals zero.

In the indoor he said he had a left over carrot for when we finished. I said he couldn't have it as he is not allowed to eat with his bit in.

When we finished he gave it to him with me still sitting on him.

Later on another horse I had to go and get something and he held him. When I returned the horse was grazing on the retaining wall above the arena.

When I said something he said it was my fault as it was my horse that was eating. I pointed out that in the indoor it was him and nothing to do with the horse. He said I had him there and he had no comeback to that.

To add to your saddle fitter compliments, you did not resort to harsher bits, drugs, chains under lip, etc etc etc, you waited for the Feed to be out of his system.

I sigh and shake my head when I read on this forum telling newbies and people that are already having problems to put a chain under the lip.

I actually saw a picture of this on Facebook and it is one of the cruelest things I have ever ever EVER seen.

I have never heard of the slow legged being good. Sigh Stars has that down pat. We start off each ride as a western pleasure horse!

I am over the moon that you still have an English saddle. Bahahaha.
      It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzieQNutter View Post
        I sigh and shake my head when I read on this forum telling newbies and people that are already having problems to put a chain under the lip.

I actually saw a picture of this on Facebook and it is one of the cruelest things I have ever ever EVER seen.

I have never heard of the slow legged being good. Sigh Stars has that down pat. We start off each ride as a western pleasure horse!

I am over the moon that you still have an English saddle. Bahahaha.
        It took me a minute to get your last line, and then I remembered I was contemplating a western saddle just a few posts ago, LOL! That's definitely not necessary, thank goodness.

Milton is like Stars (now that he's comfortable and calm again). He likes to start out slow. I rode him this morning (finally got up early..yay!) and I rode him literally on the buckle for most of the ride. He was long and low and stretched in all three gaits, which amazed me as he's never been able to do it in canter. He definitely starts out jogging instead of trotting, and by the end of the session (which I'm keeping kind of short right now...around 30 minutes?) he is moving on. He has to get there in his own time, which is fine.

He did something that I think is significant today. I went back out about noon to give him a good bath (got a lot of new EQyss products to pamper him with). He was absolutely loving the scrubbing, and one of his itchiest places in the summer is his belly. I was scrubbing his belly really good and he arched his back up all the way from wither through his rump so high and held it there while I was scrubbing and for a second or two even when I stopped. He wasn't in pain, as he had his lip out making the "oooohhhh yeah, that's the spot" face the entire time. I've tried to get him to round/lift his back using the technique where you run something along under his belly and he should lift, and I've never gotten any response out of him. Today he did it to such an extreme, and did it pretty much every time I scrubbed his belly. I haven't been currying him when grooming to tack up because he's practically hairless at this point his coat is so slick and short, but I"m going to try currying his belly tomorrow and see if he gives me that big lift/stretch like he did today. That HAS to be good for his back. It was almost like when he did it and realized he COULD do it, he just held it there because it felt good to him.

I think Magnesium is magic. I really do. At least for him and horses like him that show signs of deficiency. Proper saddle fit is magic too, of course.

Planning to go out again tomorrow morning early to ride. It's so quiet out at the barn. No one around except the cats, who like to join us in the ring.

ETA: Oh, I meant to comment on the lip chain. I've only seen those used in two circumstances: racehorses and halter horses (QH, Paint, App)...usually colts or stallions in both. It is definitely something that should only be done in extreme circumstances with a very experienced handler...and usually anyone handling a horse that requires a lip chain has to be experienced. I don't know much about the racehorses, just see it on TV, but I can imagine they are a damn handful and are also in a situation where if they get out of control they could hurt themselves, other horses, the people around them, etc. Same with the halter horses. I've seen plenty of those up close at the shows, and especially the stallions have to keep their act together well enough to stand to be judged in a ring full of other stallions, and probably with the mare class not long before or after. And both types of horses, halter and race, aren't really expected to have impeccable ground manners. Racehorses are meant to run, halter horses are meant to look pretty (if that's your think...I think they look gross).

But no. No amateur who is having trouble controlling his/her personal riding/pleasure horse should be putting a dang chain under its lip. Though I've heard when done correctly it's not really that painful and it works more like a twitch to release calming endorphins in the horse. Not sure how accurate that is.

Comment

Mum was in a riding school in Egypt. No geldings. All stallions. She said there was absolutely no difference at all but maybe a bit of an extra step if one pf the mares In the group lesson were in season.

I have handled a lot of stallions. One after a girl arrived at the school to find the stallion had escaped but couldn't catch him SO WENT AND TOOK HER MARE OUT OF HER YARD TO PLAIT.

%^*^$#@%&*&%$##^&&%$#

Honestly people do not think and one of the most idiotic, stupidest things I have seen people do with horses and why I am happy at home with my own horses and the only idiots I see with horses are us! After growing up on an Agistment property and working with horses in 4 different places.

Why not groom and plait mare in her yard?

So girl takes mare our of yard and when stopped at the next gate, the stallion mounts the mare. They then scream at him and hit him with sticks etc etc etc.

When I arrive he is visibly upset as you can imagine, but I was able to catch him and lead him to his yard without a chain.

Racehorses are very close to being very unhealthy as their grain is equal to if not more than their roughage. They are on high octane feed so in the realm that you experienced with Monty to a higher degree.

This does not need to happen. My sister trained racehorses. Each could be ridden and change leads and were sane.

What I have heard about halter classes in this forum, is with the Arabs they WANT them to play up on the lead. See them later by the float and they are standing quietly.

I have heard about people putting hands under the belly to lift the back. No I don't do it. The reason a lot of English horses have ulcers is because of the lifting of the tummy. I keep that as short as possible and no horses with ulcers.
          Last edited by SuzieQNutter; Jun. 28, 2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

And from above why I said I need my head read about bringing in a boarder!

I brought Ace home yesterday. He walked straight on the float with no hesitaion.

We locked Sim in the house yard and Dodge and Stars in Dodge's paddock. Before he came we replaced the top wire which will be between Sim and Ace with a plain top wire and electrified it.

I got her to lead him around his paddock and then let him go. He did not run around. He said hello to Dodge and Stars with no squealing or striking. Stars will now be in that paddock overnight. Dodge goes in the house yard for feeding then the 3 are let out, as Ace is in Stars paddock.

When she left I let Sim out. I said walk. He cantered up the driveway, Ace cantered up to him and Sim put his head and neck right across the fence. He touched the wire, came back with the shock and put his head across again. The next time I looked he was grazing. The best outcome we could have had!

Ace had lessons on we do not go near Stars when he is being tacked or leading around the paddock and standing still to have his rugs changed.

No wonder he was getting antsy. I told her to feed that feed full of oats and corn to her chooks! This is what she was told to feed the previous horse and after 3 weeks she was uncontrollable, so boarder took her back to previous owner and accused them of drugging her. Nope a mare on that feed in new home and beginner handler and it only takes 3 weeks for everything to go downhill. Other than that he is getting oaten chaff, pollard, cool and calm pellets and not yesterday but will be getting soaked copra.

I will have a look at his manure tomorrow. It should break open on hitting the ground. I was taught that pollard binds and should be fed with bran which is a laxative.

He learns pretty quickly. She has been leaving a halter on 24/7. Nope not here and no hoods either. I HATE them. I won't have them here.

He took 2 steps away from me which reminded me how much I HATE a horse who does not come when it is called.

So this morning I will go out 1.5 hours earlier. I will teach him to face up and I will lunge him before I ride Stars.

I will ask permission before posting any photos.

She comes this afternoon and I will give her a session on facing up and lunge him again.

I told hubby I wanted to show him my breakthrough on Stars. Come up in half an hour to see. It wasn't until I was half way through the walk routine that I noticed he had not put back the trot poles after raking the arena.

He was trimming Dodge's hooves. I asked him to put them out and said I was still warming up in walk so he had a little time until I needed them.

Then I needed them. I asked again and got a retort that he needed to finish Dodge first.

No he only had to finish what he was doing with that hoof to put down. He can leave Dodge and go back later. It is getting late. It is getting colder. I want to finish Stars. He can do Dodge while I am untacking.

Stars then had a no moment, which I blame on the trot poles not being there. It was a no in collected trot for the first time and only 1 second as I am in full control in collected trot! And he seems to only say it once in each movement....I hope. But I had had 2 full rides without a no moment

He really does go more forward and lifts over the poles. I showed hubby Stars going from the collected trot to canter. He said he did it easily, no jumping or anything, just a lovely transition into it.

I did work him a bit in the canter this time in the changes in the figure of 8's. I also worked him in trot afterwards.

No foam, but no lunging and a quick ride.

Comment

Had a fun ride on Pony today- her show bridle got put back together and she felt fabulous in the Kimberwicke vs snaffle. We had some great working trot which of course led to decent collected trot. She had to go again so no in- hand work.

Her other rider decided she’s all about doing halter this year and of course is using the super super made halter horse Buddy. He’s the winner for sure- Pony and I can only try our best and see what happens. Pony doesn’t have the Egyptian cross that makes the look. It got me rather snarky today- and I need to just get over it and present my girl to the best we can. I just needed to vent a bit.

Comment

Lucky, you got the right idea. You go in that ring with the pony you love and the two of you will rock it the best you can! Glad you had a good lesson.

I had a good lesson yesterday as well. We are making progress, Tay and I. We had more good jumps and only a few flyers haha. Actually they were not terrible, but we are actually working for the short distance. It was fun. And hot.

ETA...this what we are working on. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqnu8gnp10...C0045.MP4?dl=0
                My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

PF- looking good and I love your shirt! Thanks for the pep talk- Pony and I do have loads of history and with one look we can “get it done and get in show mode”. I just have to remember to project energy to keep her from sleeping in the lineup 😀

Comment

Thanks, lucky! (Cheap workout top from JC Penney.) Yep, I think horses definitely feed off of us, so if you need energy, do that and she'll follow your lead!

I am so close to scrapping my original show goals for the year. I had RRP on my list, which I've scrapped already due to Surgey not being ready with his feet. So that goad is postponed till 2021. Then the other is the TIP (Thoroughbred Incentive Program) which is this fall. I am not sure I'm ready to go to shows, especially reading this morning about positive COVID tests at Tryon. And then there's Equitana that I already bought tickets to last year, which is also in September. That I can imagine will put me in close proximity to a lot of folks from lots of areas. I'm pretty sure I will see if I can get a refund. I really, really was looking forward to this fall, too. Sigh.

Comment

Yes health is so important PF. They relaxed some restrictions in Victoria and an outbreak has happened there, nothing like we are hearing on the news for you guys, but Queensland is going to keep their borders closed another week and we have been told not to meet with any Victorians.

I am a wee bit tired. I started the pamphlets on Monday walking, used the bike on Tuesday and didn't end up finishing yesterday, as I was invited out for tea. So I came did my 1.5 hours in the local Supermarket, came home and rugged and went out again.

I will have to ride Stars today and tomorrow and then away for work for 2 days.

I still have a few pamphlets to do. I will do today.

I had a terrible ride on Stars the day before. We did end up cantering but really I feel like I am trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. I will talk to my instructor about it. If slow is what western pleasurees desire, well he has that in spades.

It is only his about 15th ride back so I will just see how he goes today.

I have been working with Ace twice a day until yesterday just once.

In 30 years I have never had a horse that does not follow you in the facing up exercise. I had to put a halter on as he thought I wanted him to canter away. In the second session I put it on and gave him a pull when he cantered away and he did not try again and started facing up perfectly but not the steps forward to follow me.

So I cheated yesterday and took up some carrots. Yep followed me everywhere but stopped and sniffed the first trot pole, went over it and around the other 2.

I praised and praised.

On the lunge I have added the side reins as long as they will go. He goes around with his head higher than his wither.

I am only walking and trotting without side reins, trotting with and then walking without.

I have taken him off all grain and he is much more relaxed on the lunge now. After the following me with carrots, I started lunging and started the trotting in the side reins. I then halted him and tried to get him to yield to the bit. Nope.

I asked him to halt and left him. I went and grabbed some more pieces of carrot. He atood still and did not move. More praise, I asked him DOWN and asked with the reins and put a carrot below him. He soon learned to drop his head down when I said down.

I sent him out again in trot in the side reins and I said the word down.....

and the glimpse of a dressage horse! He couldn't do it. He tried but walked. I praised, encouraged him forward, praised and he did it 3 times. I left him with that.

I led him down to the tack room with the reins around his neck, of course I had picked up the extra bits of carrot and he knew that.

I untacked gave him the carrots and went in to get a brush. He had gone. Over to the round bale. No worries I just keep bringing them back.

NO.

This has been the problem from Day 1. He will do anything you ask with a halter on, but with the halter off he. will. not. go. forward.

NO. NO. NOOOO.

and then he started swearing.

He has been taught and praised to go forward with a click. NO.

With my hand in his other cheek he tried to get past my hand on that side and over my head on this side. I am too tall for those shenanigans. He backed. I encouraged forward and he went back to the canter off strides I spoke about earlier.

I had it out with him. I only had a body brush in my hand. He would not go forward with a click. I tapped with the brush. Nothing. I used my hand. I praised when he did the canter forward because at least it was forward.

He did not leave me but came back. We did that at least 3 times. With that and the backing we went up behind the tack shed, in front if the tack shed, behind the tack shed, in front if it and back behind it again.

Eventually he took a step forward. I praised. Another step and another step. Now we walked calmly to the tack shed with my hand on his off side cheek. He was praised.

THAT WAS SUCH A BREAKTHROUGH.

I gave him some carrot pieces. He never moved while I brushed him, went in to find his day rug, which we had accidentally hidden and brought that out and put it on him

Which is a whole different horse to the one on Day 1, that you had to keep hold of the lead rope as he wanted to move around you as he was not tied ad you put his rug on.

In the evening he had a session on, yes you can eat your hay, but head up please while I am doing up the chest straps and then the neck straps

She didn't come yesterday. She texted to say she had to work late. I might hop on him afte lunging today. We will see how he goes on the lunge. He might have to start out with me helping him in the walk.

We are just taking it slowly with him as we are changing everything for him. It is such a big change for his body. So he will be sore.

Sigh we can not get on to our chiropractor. You call, it says business as usual. Text us - which is not usual and I know that the dad is not tech savvy. I have texted. Hubby has called daily and only gets the same message.

Honestly this is why so many people drop in to see them when you are there, to book in in person!
                      Last edited by SuzieQNutter; Jul. 1, 2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Equitana is refusing to refund tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
                          Equitana is refusing to refund tickets.
                          Is it being postponed?
                          Last edited by SuzieQNutter; Jul. 1, 2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

No. It is still scheduled for September.

Comment

Yes health is so important PF. They relaxed some restrictions in Victoria and an outbreak has happened there, nothing like we are hearing on the news for you guys, but Queensland is going to keep their borders closed another week and we have been told not to meet with any Victorians.

I am a wee bit tired. I started the pamphlets on Monday walking, used the bike on Tuesday and didn't end up finishing yesterday, as I was invited out for tea. So I came did my 1.5 hours in the local Supermarket, came home and rugged and went out again.

I will have to ride Stars today and tomorrow and then away for work for 2 days.

I still have a few pamphlets to do. I will do today.

I had a terrible ride on Stars the day before. We did end up cantering but really I feel like I am trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. I will talk to my instructor about it. If slow is what western pleasurees desire, well he has that in spades.

It is only his about 15th ride back so I will just see how he goes today.

I have been working with Ace twice a day until yesterday just once.

In 30 years I have never had a horse that does not follow you in the facing up exercise. I had to put a halter on as he thought I wanted him to canter away. In the second session I put it on and gave him a pull when he cantered away and he did not try again and started facing up perfectly but not the steps forward to follow me.

So I cheated yesterday and took up some carrots. Yep followed me everywhere but stopped and sniffed the first trot pole, went over it and around the other 2.

I praised and praised.

On the lunge I have added the side reins as long as they will go. He goes around with his head higher than his wither.

I am only walking and trotting without side reins, trotting with and then walking without.

I have taken him off all grain and he is much more relaxed on the lunge now. After the following me with carrots, I started lunging and started the trotting in the side reins. I then halted him and tried to get him to yield to the bit. Nope.

I asked him to halt and left him. I went and grabbed some more pieces of carrot. He atood still and did not move. More praise, I asked him DOWN and asked with the reins and put a carrot below him. He soon learned to drop his head down when I said down.

I sent him out again in trot in the side reins and I said the word down.....

and the glimpse of a dressage horse! He couldn't do it. He tried but walked. I praised, encouraged him forward, praised and he did it 3 times. I left him with that.

I led him down to the tack room with the reins around his neck, of course I had picked up the extra bits of carrot and he knew that.

I untacked gave him the carrots and went in to get a brush. He had gone. Over to the round bale. No worries I just keep bringing them back.

NO.

This has been the problem from Day 1. He will do anything you ask with a halter on, but with the halter off he. will. not. go. forward.

NO. NO. NOOOO.

and then he started swearing.

He has been taught and praised to go forward with a click. NO.

With my hand in his other cheek he tried to get past my hand on that side and over my head on this side. I am too tall for those shenanigans. He backed. I encouraged forward and he went back to the canter off strides I spoke about earlier.

I had it out with him. I only had a body brush in my hand. He would not go forward with a click. I tapped with the brush. Nothing. I used my hand. I praised when he did the canter forward because at least it was forward.

He did not leave me but came back. We did that at least 3 times. With that and the backing we went up behind the tack shed, in front if the tack shed, behind the tack shed, in front if it and back behind it again.

Eventually he took a step forward. I praised. Another step and another step. Now we walked calmly to the tack shed with my hand on his off side cheek. He was praised.

THAT WAS SUCH A BREAKTHROUGH.

I gave him some carrot pieces. He never moved while I brushed him, went in to find his day rug, which we had accidentally hidden and brought that out and put it on him

Which is a whole different horse to the one on Day 1, that you had to keep hold of the lead rope as he wanted to move around you as he was not tied ad you put his rug on.

In the evening he had a session on, yes you can eat your hay, but head up please while I am doing up the chest straps and then the neck straps

She didn't come yesterday. She texted to say she had to work late. I might hop on him afte lunging today. We will see how he goes on the lunge. He might have to start out with me helping him in the walk.

We are just taking it slowly with him as we are changing everything for him. It is such a big change for his body. So he will be sore.

Sigh we can not get on to our chiropractor. You call, it says business as usual. Text us - which is not usual and I know that the dad is not tech savvy. I have texted. Hubby has called daily and only gets the same message.

Honestly this is why so many people drop in to see them when you are there, to book in in person! We will keep trying.

Comment

Why didn't I think of cheap workout tops from JC Penney? Good idea PF! I keep buying expensive shirts from SmartPak. And loved the video clip. You both look great, and I love your trainer's praise!

Suzie, sounds like you're being persistent as usual with your crew.

Milton got the day off today after five consecutive days of riding (Friday - Tuesday). I can't remember the last time I rode him five days in a row, lol! I've been getting up early and am on his back by 7:00am. It's been great. Well, yesterday wasn't great because I decided (like an idiot) to try riding in the covered arena. I guess I expect the footing to magically not bother him anymore or something. Other people ride their horses up there. They give lessons and clinics in the arena. But I do hear people complain about the footing...and they STILL ride their horses in that arena. Makes no sense. But I went up to try it to see if his happier back and better fitting saddle would make a difference in how he went up there. Nope. He's still constantly struggling to balance. In the outdoor down by the barn he's all long and low and loose and relaxed in all three gaits. In the covered his head is up, he acts like he can't bend, and he's just a mess, especially at the canter. I signed up for an upcoming working equitation clinic that will be held in the covered, but I'm doing a small group lesson and it's mostly doing the different working equitation obstacles, so I don't think it'll be that hard on him. I watched last time, and much of the lesson is spent walking, trotting, and standing around. We can handle that. I'm so protective of Milton now that he's finally doing so much better...hate to screw him up again.

So, even with his day off, I went out and brought him into the barn, sprayed him off because it's hot and he was sweaty out in the pasture, primped on him and fed him lots of treats. He was good as gold.

Going to head to bed now so that I can get up early and get out there to ride before it gets too hot tomorrow. I've really enjoyed the routine, and while I didn't mind the extra sleep this morning, I missed seeing my boy first thing in the morning. Here's hoping tomorrow is a good ride. We might work in the big field around the covered. He's kind of bored with the outdoor at the barn.

Happy riding to everyone!

Comment

PF- what a bummer about Equitania. Hopefully they will wise up and refund monies/tickets.

I could use some sanity jingles- thanks to Medicare mandates and working for many buildings, I have the pleasure of the “not as bad as the first one that touches grey matter” COVID test twice next week. After that, it’s every week once/week until The Powers That Control Everything decide different. You know good and well the rule makers are not having to get things shoved up their noses every week!! This is why chocolate and Ponies were invented 😂

Comment

Edited: Well, I just talked to the BO, and she said our neighbor (who also has horses/farm basically on the same plot of land) said the horses were all freaked out by the fireworks last night and running. Maybe that's what did it. She promises me he's getting all of his SmartCalm and that she watches to make sure he gets it every morning. So, I'm going to trust her and hope this passes. Sorry for the novel about our morning. It just helps to vent it out, especially in a place where people might understand. Fingers crossed that it passes.

Well, @#$&!!
                                    After weeks of improving behavior and turning into a totally chill, relaxed, happy boy in the barn (which he hated so much at one point that I couldn't get him near it), Milton reverted back to being tense and spooky and absolutely terrified in there again this morning. This is after weeks of going in the barn every day, being groomed, tacked, ridden, having his feet trimmed, given baths, having his saddle fitted. He has been in the barn every. single. day. for weeks, and has been totally fine with it. Including yesterday for his "spa day". He's been a total angel. Happy as a clam.

I noticed a couple of days ago that his back was starting to get tense again. He was reacting a little bit when I'd brush him or just palpate his top line, especially over his loin/hip area. But he was still totally chill, great when ridden, quiet when in the barn, etc.

When the saddle-fitter came last Friday, I hadn't ridden for a week, just to be sure the saddle wasn't causing issues. Milton was already much calmer and accepting of the barn. His change in feed (they're all switched over now to the new stuff) and his SmartCalm Ultra, plus his change in pasture, all seemed to be working! I was so thrilled. He was his old, calm, relaxed, happy self again, even in the barn.

So, I rode last Friday just long enough for the saddle-fitter to give his blessing. Then I rode for the next four days (Saturday-Tuesday), for about 30-35 minutes per ride. All long and low and stretchy, not asking too much of him. I gave him Wednesday off, then rode him Thursday. I was aware of his back being a little tender (not bad, and fine when I was riding) so I gave him Friday and Saturday (yesterday) off. Despite time off, I've brought him into the barn every single day and hosed him off and groomed/pampered him. He's been fine. Yesterday I noticed he came in slightly more reluctantly than normal, but he was okay. I gave him a full bath yesterday, and he was fine until I scrubbed his back. He was very tender, just kind of slunk his back down away and gave me an eyeball. So I went easy, we finished our bath, and he was fine. Put him back in the aisle cross-ties, did my usual primping and pampering, and he was pretty chill about it. A little more "wary" and looking around maybe, but basically fine.

This morning I went out early to ride, and as I was bringing him into the barn I could feel him sucking back majorly (I forge ahead even if he's trailing behind, because stopping to check on him makes him even more reluctant). Got him into the barn and he was rock solid, tight, head sky-high, eyes bugged out, and snorting. JUST like he used to be before all the changes. *sigh*

I worked with him a little, trying to get him to settle, and he just wouldn't. He stood on the cross-ties, but was dancing back and forth, worried, on edge, just freaked out. So, I took him out to the little paddock in front of the barn to tack him up, and he was fine. Had to walk him back into the barn once tacked because I had forgotten something. He came in, but was immediately tense and anxious again.

Went out to the ring to ride, and he was fine. I only rode him a few minutes, because if it's his back I didn't want to exacerbate the issue. But I also feel like if it's his back, he'd be just as tense and anxious when I ride him, and he was fine. Although, he was a little more energetic and forward ("forward") than he's been lately, though not to the level he was when he had gotten super sensitive to my leg, etc.

Brought him back inside the barn to untack, and he stood for me in the cross-ties for the untacking, but was clearly anxious, high-headed, wide-eyed. I put him in the washrack to spray him off, and he was a hot mess. There's a window in the back of the washrack, and he was nervous as heck about what might or might not be out there. This is the same horse that had stood like a statue, head down, lip drooped, totally unconcerned for the past couple of weeks getting daily showers. Absolutely fine with it. Until this morning.

I managed to get him sprayed off without him killing himself or me in the process, and took him back out into the aisle cross-ties where he stood, again very anxious and alert and tense, while I finished off his grooming quickly.

Tried to practice going in and out of the barn again to see if he'd calm down. He'd settle for a few seconds and then get anxious again and want to leave. I got his favorite treats and he'd take those, but sometimes wouldn't even chew them at first, because he was so distracted listening and looking for something horrible that was going to get him. Then he'd finally chew and be like 'Okay, gotta go!"

So...yeah. I was pretty devastated. He's on the "calm feed" he's eating the calming supplement, he's in the better pasture away from the horses he was attached to, he's had his saddle fitted, and he's been absolutely chilled and happy for the past couple of weeks and then? WTF????

The only thing I can think is that he hasn't been getting his SmartCalm Ultra consistently enough out in the pasture over the past few days and it's showing. I fed it to him myself this morning and have pulled it from the feed room so that I can feed it and make sure he's eating every crumb of it. I truly, TRULY believed that stuff had to be helping. It was such a drastic improvement when it finally kicked in.

Naturally, because he's been doing so great (until today), I have signed us up to ride in the working equitation clinic that's going to be at the farm next weekend. I'm still going through with it, unless his back gets tons worse or he becomes unbearably crazy. Fingers crossed that he will be fine if it's just that he wasn't getting the supplement consistently. I also gave him a little bute this morning just to see if that will make his back feel better and if that will make the craziness subside.

At this point, I don't know what else to do other than have a vet out to look at his back. The chiro that adjusted him back in May is a vet, so I'd think she'd have mentioned something if she had suspected something major. At this point I don't know if regular riding is causing his back to get sore which is causing the spookiness. Or is inconsistent intake of the supplement/magnesium causing his back to be tight which lends to the spookiness...or do the spookiness and tight back both show up at the same time due to lack of magnesium supplement?

He's literally a Jekyll and Hyde. I thought we'd gotten rid of Hyde for good. I really did. He was THAT much improved and changed. But here I am again.

Super effing frustrating. Seriously.
                                    Last edited by RhythmNCruise; Jul. 5, 2020, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Rhythm- I’m sorry Milton is being so challenging. Hopefully the clinic might yield some good tips or pointers that would help everything. Jingles for answers either way.

Lesson today was so-so. Trot work got rather fun, working on Working Trot Sitting. First time we ever did it, at a show, we thought the judge was crackers and had made it up. Apparently not only is it a thing, it’s the thing in all the Eq classes. Fab had the best intentions and sprung canter work on us. Due to my anxiety, that typically works the best. Only it didn’t. We just fast trotted the whole time. I was so mad at myself- I know Pony can do it, heck, we can do it. Next week’s goal for sure.

Finally got a chance to do in-hand practice, in our show halter. First step was figuring how to put it on- it took three tries with three different ones and the one I could do looked so cute on her. I got a lot more yes ma’m and true understanding than ever before. She was quite tickled with herself and so was I.

Comment

So I’m breaking in my show boots, finally. Even with lots of lifts, they still rubbed behind my knees, so I rigged up some padding. Figured I’d share in case it could help anyone else. I had previously cut the ankle closures off my breeches as they were too long and bulky looking when fastened. Those loops are the perfect fit for boot rub prevention, since they have Velcro closures. Worked like a charm today and fit well under the boots 😀

Comment

I feel you RhythmNCruise . I feel the same with Stars but for the opposite reason. If it isn't his cold back, it is his hooves or his chest or his hamstrings. He just won't go. I really feel like sending him off to someone who will stick in the spurs and get into him with a dressage whip = frustration.

What I thought I might do today is put liniment on his chest and hamstring before I ride today and see if that makes ANY difference. It is also frustrating the chain and lock stopping us trail riding.

I have never had a horse act the way you describe except for having the balance of overfed and underworked out of whack.

I have never fed calming supplements. I do not feed grains per say. We are boiling barley which is non heating and does not go to their brains. They get a cup of pellets which does have barley, but no oats or corn or molasses, with some lucerne chaff and a lick block that says it has everything a performance horse needs.

I took Stars off the feed yesterday. Hubby will not feed as told. They are too fat. Stars is too fresh. They have free range to a grassy round bale. He can have that for a week.

This balance is very easy to get out of whack.

When Tommy died, I bought back James. An extremely quiet tb I sold to work as my company horse as we were not allowed to have our own horses.

He was so quiet we called him Jaaaames.

Mum did the right things. She rode him for an hour a day and only fed him hay.

It was a week before she called me for help. She had him down at the bottom of the road at the Scout Den which was a flat grassy area I used to ride on.

She got off him and then thought, "I have not gotten off a horse for 50 years", and got back on again. She got off again and now had to lead a whirling around her, out of his mind thoroughbred home.

Hence the phone call to me.

I came home and took him out to the State Forest. He had started leaping, which is a bit nerve racking when you leave the ground and you are going to land right in front of a road sign and you don't know if he is going to go left or right.

By the time I had been on him a while he stopped it, because it takes them as long to get out of that realm as into it and he had just started.

Mum may have been riding him an hour each day but at work I was riding him several hours a day, so the ratio got out of whack coming down to one hour a day, even though he was only on hay.

Comment

Working...
                                          X