Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

We're Back!

We experienced a cyber attack that wiped out the site's content earlier this week via a software vulnerability, but the developers were able to restore everything from backups.

We updated our software to implement available patches and will be making further cosmetic changes to the site to restore it. Performance is slow right now, but by early next week, the developers will have restored a few optimization strategies they usually have in place to keep things percolating smoothly.

Going forward, we will make some changes to the site to limit the number of customizations we implement to the software, so that it is easier to keep current on updates and patches if they are released.

The developers do not believe that this was a "personal" attack, where someone is targeting the Chronicle's site with malicious intent against us specifically. These cyber jerks apparently just cruise the Internet, scanning for known vulnerabilities to attack.

They are confident passwords were not accessed, but even if they were, we store password encrypted, so that should not be an issue. Of course, if anyone has concerns about password security, changing related passwords is always an option for peace of mind.

Please report any glitches in a thread we'll be starting in the Help forum.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzy, the info is a little confusing, but as I understand it, "coronavirus" is a family of viruses and COVID-19 is this particular one wreaking havoc at the moment. COVID-19 is also the name of the illness the virus causes. Here the big fear is that everyone all over will become ill at once, and the hospitals will be overwhelmed. The stories about what's happening in Italy are terrifying.

The university where I teach is suspending classes for an additional week after spring break (next week). The situation is getting scarier by the day. I urge everyone to avoid crowds and wash hands constantly.

I am scheduled to go to a show in early April; I may not go. I am co-chairing a conference on April 17 and am very uncertain as to whether or not it's prudent to go on with it. So far the "higher ups" haven't told us to cancel.

On a lighter note, Sky is completely recovered. The virus she had went through all the mares at our barn and affected the geldings comparatively lightly. Only a few got it, and they weren't nearly as sick. My trainer was talking to another barn owner who said the same thing--it went through all the mares she had while the geldings did not get it. And her horses aren't segregated by sex, so it's a puzzle.
    Last edited by Dewey; Mar. 13, 2020, 01:54 PM.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Lurker back, looking for jingles and sympathy. Lol.

So, here I was all excited to start jumping Tio (Belgian WB by ValentinoZ), my jumps are built and painted, I found a saddle I think might work, I even practiced "jumping" using the rodeo team's bucking barrel! On the lunge Tio had excessive Spring Sillies and for the first time ever in the 7 years I've had, took off in a full-on, ground hugging gallop and would. not. stop. for like 5 minutes. While he never pulled on the line and did allow me to move him into different circles, he didn't stop until he injured his stifle. Now he's chill mode for the next couple months while he recovers. Lucky for me, he is sound on hard surfaces so I can at least walk around on him, but no arena work or cavelletti or jumping for probably 2 months.

I'm not a rerider, btw, just an aging dressage queen who used to jump (schooling shows, low level horse trials) when I was young. My TB Rudy is my 3rd level dressage horse and Tio is my play horse. He was supposed to be my "old lady" horse because his gaits are much easier to sit than the TB's, but he grew a little taller and wider than I planned (bought him as a long yearling) and he does pack a pretty powerful buck now and then. True to his breeding, however, he loves to jump and has beautiful form so I'm still hoping to get some actual jumping lessons someday on him.

To all of you on this thread, I have truly enjoyed lurking here all these years and I wish you all safe horses, safe travels and healthy days ahead.

Comment

• Sue B, nice to hear from you. I'm sorry about your current horse issues. It's never fun to have injured ponies! Here's to a speedy recovery. And you don't have to be a re-rider to be a Re-Rider. I'm not a re-rider, either. I've been riding since I was 11, with maybe one year off when I was 17. I'm now MUCH older than that, haha. Welcome.

Dewey, things are cancelling every day, so maybe your conference will cancel as well. Just stay safe as possible. My sister-in-law had plans to visit, as she was going to be here for a conference with U of M (Michigan). They just cancelled yesterday, so the visit is off. I do think it may be helpful for everyone to stay as put as possible for a while, so I'm good with it.

lucky, I would love to meet your friend.

Nothing new here. The vet will still be here on Monday, which can't come soon enough. Surge does get handled daily, but I am not doing much since I don't want to make his feet worse. As soon as I get the okay, I will start with more ground work, etc.

Hope to ride Tay today. The rain has stopped.
        My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• PF- I'll PM you her particulars so you can look for her, and then if you haven't met by the time I make to a show, I'll for sure introduce you.

Comment

• Got it. Thanks, lucky!

Comment

• Austen, I missed your post. Sorry! I will definitely be curious as to what the vet says. And yes, it has really been wet and soggy and muddy here.

Sounds like your daughter is doing well. That is good to hear. Hope your new pony does well. Can't wait for more updates and pics.

We have another farm showing today. The traffic is picking up. Fingers crossed.

Comment

• PF: Fingers crossed for you!!

Austen: So glad DD and Ollie is rocking it! Huge classes and competitive, you should be super proud! Can i ask if you can list your herd out for me one more time? I am getting so confused! (getting old is not fun!)
                Our company instituted domestic and international travel ban. I have been super worried about my team with their travel, and i'm so glad the company came to jesus.

Dewey: I'm fairly positive that your conference will be canceled. All of my medical conferences are canceled. I feel slightly guilty that i was really dreading the month of March due to non stop conferences and meetings, but now if i am willing to trade this to have COVID19 mess disappear.
                It is so weird that the virus affects the boys more! Would love to learn more about it.

Lucky: Hope you got plenty of pony cuddles !

Sue B: Oh dear, these horses just want to injure themselves. Hopefully he will get better soon and you can start jumping him!

Greys: Your boy is SUPER CUTE!!! And Oh My!! I saw the videos, he is so cute over fence! You will have so much fun with him! I am in love with his name!! Duty Free *insert giggles* , remind me, is he a lease? He will be kept in the same barn with Hudson?

Years of bad habit, nervousness, bad posture, long torso has all contributed me to not able to sit up tall on my canter, but I'm working so hard on this.

I also want to echo Suzie's sentiment, to thank you for coming here to cheer us on. You've been so encouraging and still provide valuable comments no matter if we were going over cross-rails or anything. Really lucky to have you here!

Rider: Yay! Buck skin (or Dun??) has arrived!! He has the cutest face! I can't wait for you to report back your ride on him!

I'm continue to learn from MG , no jumping this week. MG got his chiro done and we are giving him a little break. We did some canter pole exercise, the good ole collecting and extending, i felt like my brain was somewhere else in the past few years, all of a sudden i understand that this came from the canter we created from before, and how important it is to maintain the canter through the corner. Still trying to work on sit up tall! Today it was raining pretty hard, one of the ponies had a melt down, and i think we all started to go into the fetal position, trainer had to yell "every body sit up!!" ! (or hop off i guess!). No pony or human was harmed.

Covid-19 is causing a lot of anxiety and disruptions in our lives, but one day at a time, or even one hour at a time, we will all get through this. I cannot stress how important it is to keep social distancing. In the western world, masks are not the norm, its often shamed on in fact, doesnt help that our government tells people that. I get it that we need to save for the health care providers, but it is the governments job to ensure everyone has supplies, like Taiwan, Macau, Korea. HK had lesson from SARS, so they are all very vigilant about wearing masks when going out, hand washing, cleaning elevator buttons, etc. We, in the US, are very behind. But we will get through this
                Last edited by Faye; Mar. 14, 2020, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Hi everyone and welcome to the new members! I've been reading along but haven't posted this winter because there is not much to write about. Just taking care of them and waiting until it's riding weather again. We didn't have a horrible winter but had a lot of ice and quite a few medium sized snows. Without an indoor or motivation it just becomes all about taking care of them and the farm, and with 5 of them there is plenty of work. Now we are into mud season which is just as challenging but in different ways. I haven't yet had my boots sucked off in the mud but there have been some close calls. It's coming tho, it happens at least 2x every mud season.

I have used the downtime to watch a lot of Warwick Schiller videos and have started the beginning ground work with 3 of the boys. I have a large enough area in the barn between the tractor and the hay stack that I can do a little of it. It's been very interesting and I'm looking forward to continuing on. I think it is Sunflower who used to post on here about using the Schiller methods on her horse. I will say it is a considerable time investment to watch so many videos and I have barely scratched the surface. His early work was along the lines of the rest of the "horsemanship" trainers but within the last couple of years he has become more about the partnership and connection and mindfulness for lack of a better word. Dealing with all the normal horse issues but thinking about them differently and approaching them from a different angle. Having 2 horses that came to me very messed up and only having partial success using more traditional methods I was searching for something different to try. So that is the direction I am trying now and we will see how it turns out. It will be hard to teach this 65 year old dog new tricks I'm sure, but maybe I will figure it out enough to make some progress with my problem children.

A lot of us here interact on IG so I've been keeping in touch in a way, just not here on this thread!

greys Your new boy is stunning and oh my that jump! What is his barn name? Hudson looks like he has made huge progress this winter. You made a great decision getting him and sending him to FL. I'm glad Sandro got a home with a lifestyle that will fit his needs better. Seeing your new grey made me think of Bravo. Is he still showing? Do you keep in contact with his people?

Faye I am loving your new barn situation and I'm so happy to hear the joy in your posts again. I was so glad to hear your travel will be temporarily halted, I'm sure that's a huge relief to you. Plus more riding time and Toby time are added benefits!

Lucky I'm glad you have some shows to look forward to. Having something to work towards is always fun! I'm sure this virus has really impacted your work environment. Jingles for all your patients to stay safe.

PF Sorry Surge is having feet issues. So, so common with ones right off the track but that doesn't make it any easier. The silver lining is downtime is never a bad thing for one recently retired from racing. Mentally and physically they benefit from time. Even tho they may look fine most of them are really body sore and being sore footed adds to that. I don't know if you have a trusted chiro or body worker but this might be a good time to have some work done and get a base reading on him before you start riding him, and take care of any niggling issues remaining from running. Are his ankles tight and cold after his time off? They looked a little filled in the 1st pics you posted. He sure does have a kind eye, I hope he turns out to be what you've been looking for.

Dewey Good to hear Sky is well again and back in work. Looking forward to seeing show pics when you get going again.

Suzy So glad your drought is broken and life is getting back to normal.

Austen I always look forward to your reports from Welly World and I'm so happy for DD having good success this season. I'm sure things are somewhat unsettled right now but at least you, DD and your horses are in the sunshine and warmth instead of the cold North. We just has snow again yesterday and I am over it!

I know I've missed people, sorry about that but this is getting too long. That's what happens when I don't get my butt in gear and post regularly.

Comment

• AMF - so nice to hear from you! Glad to hear the winter has been rather uneventful (weather wise) but allowed for some quality time with your herd. I think mud season is the worst! Never ending grooming, lost shoes, extra laundry and yes, getting boots sucked off! You know your sock is going right in the mud and then, do you put that mess back in your boot?i hope you have a short mud season!

Faye - I’m glad you got the call for no more travel. Although it looks like the decision would be made for all companies with the travel bans occurring. Obviously our trip to London in April is off. I got an email from British Air this morning offering a voucher for the trip to be used anytime up to a year from our date. We’ll see how things are looking in the fall. Love your lesson reports! You are in such a better program now. My former trainer always says “progress is not linear”. We all have off days or tough rides but, we keep coming back and making it better. You sure are! So, my herd: trainer #1 has Ollie, G, Lucy (we’re leasing) Casira (currently rehabbing) - the hunters and Penny, DD’s jumper. Trainer #2 has Calvin, Remy and Bee. All jumpers, and sort of for sale unless DD starts jumping 1.30 ( not likely in the near future )

​​​​​​​Lucky - I hope the pony snuggles happened! We all need something to look forward to these days.

As I’m sure you know, Wellyworld came to an abrupt end this weekend. They were going to try to run the shows with no outside spectators allowed for the last two weeks but then the USEF intervened and said any points wouldn’t count. Not that everyone down here is chasing points but it’s easy to get a lot of points in a short period of time. Cancelling was the prudent thing to do. (Although the Turf Tour is still planning on holding their unrated shows. I’m a little disappointed in that management. But, with the recent recommendation from the CDC to limit gatherings to less than than 50 people, that may be cancelled also.) We’ll be staying here until early April, as planned. DD can continue to work and I know she’d rather be with her horses. DH was thinking of heading north early but then they closed the “nonessential” businesses in PA (state stores, beer distributors ) so he may stay.
                    I had a good lesson yesterday, Doing more “course” work over poles. Single to diagonal, lead change, outside line. Getting there little by little. I was going to take G out on “the Boulevard” to cool him out. DD was coming back on Ollie and I asked her about the person on the rather spicy chestnut (I try to avoid the sometimes excited horses). She replied, “That’s Kent on Creedance.” I was pretty sure he could handle his horse. I don’t think I mentioned his barn is in our neighborhood. We pass him all the time going to and from the show. Or, passed him. Maybe we’ll see him on the Boulevard more!

Comment

• Austen, sorry for your schedule changing so rather suddenly. Even Rolex (Land Rover) Kentucky 3DE is cancelled. People are going to be really upset about that one. I'm glad you have a place to stay and you'll still get quality riding time in. And I love your "celebrity sighting".

AFM, good to hear from you. Yeah, I do think the forced break is doing the boy good. I just want it to happen with less sore feet. I will report on the vet below. I understand mud season. Blech.

Faye, sometimes non-jumping lessons are just as fun and you can learn a lot from doing different things. And as far as how the things are done here, I agree. We are behind. I'm trying to just stay home as much as possible. I just have to make an occasional grocery store stop. Darn fresh veggies.

Well, the vet was out. They all got their shots and coggins, which is good. Surge basically is just foot sore with beating pulses in both fronts. His more sore hoof is bruised and there is a soft spot on it. But basically we have been on the right rack and he recommends doing things we have been doing anyway. He did mention a few more products we can try and even talked about Formahoof. It's an interesting concept, but sounds like to do the "shoe" for lack of a better term, it could cost as much as $800! ACK. I will look into other options first. We just need his feet to grow out and harden.

On another note, I had him check Chico who has been starting to stand funny, sort of like his back feet on a tight rope. Have I mentioned that here? He wonders if it’s EPM. We’re first testing for Cushings and go from there. He said I may just want to treat for EPM and see if it helps. Sigh. My old man is getting old. He moves around perfectly sound and happy, just stands funny. We did the walk-behind-pulling-tail thing and he had trouble to the right and not the left. Maybe neurological. Sigh again.

Oh, and had Chico and Tay floated. They were due. Can't wait for the invoice. haha.

Comment

• Welcome back AFM and Sue B.

AFM I will answer for Greys as I saw your question. From memory, Bravo RIP is running free. He had a reaction to a vaccination and we all lost him. I am sure I will be corrected if that is wrong.

I am really happy to talk about retraining horses. Andy is the only horse I have trained. All the others I have retrained both for me and other people. Retraining is much harder than training.

Every horse is different. Every horse needs different exercises depending on how hot or quiet they are and they need what they need on that day not what any program says they should be doing, and depending on what problems they had from their previous riders.

Until you get them to a stage when suddenly you can do what is the norm because they are mentally and physically able to.

Argh Sue B. Horses sigh! I wish him a speedy recovery.

If you don't mind I would like to talk about lunging. Mine are lunged and are done so in solid sidereins and a lunging cavesson.

The lunging cavesson gives you a lot more control if they are being silly to pull them around to stop them.

In which case the side reins are tightened to the tightest for that horse and they are sent out to canter. They may be being silly, but with the side reins on they are collected and working, so they are less likely to injure themselves and it is usually not long before it is too hard and they change their mind.

My update is that both Sim and Stars are now sound. Which in Sim's case really really shows that only the good die young. This is the 2nd time he should have had a career ending injury and one month later he is sound and back in work.

Hubby has been lunging him. I had dismounted from Stars and saw how he was going and called out trot on to Sim. He was not forward enough. I told hubby to get him going. To canter him. He must go forward.

Hubby lunged him again after work and came in saying how well Sim went on the lunge. I told him that was because he made him go forward the day before. If he had not he would have had the same today, but because he got it the day before, he got it again today.

He commented on how good Sim looks in trot. Sim has been here in and out of work for 10 years. He is the hardest horse I have ever retained and if you remember we started in a 50 acre paddock with no arena and I did not canter him a lot.

So he is seeing a 10 year trot from Sim. Dodge does not look great in trot as his canter is better. So Sim needs work on his canter, which is coming along now and Dodge needs work on his trot.

Hubby said that Stars looks about the middle of both of them.

The TV have started using COVID19 but we usually call it coronavirus. AFAIK there have been 3 deaths in Australia, 2 in the same nursing home and the big news is that Tom Hanks and his wife are here and have tested positive. Another guy, who had contact with him, also tested positive but was totally shocked that he did, as he had no symptoms, which I guess is where this grabs hold, as people who don't know they have it are out and about.

So far noone has had it who has not had contact with someone from overseas, but I guess that will change any second.

The panic buying seems to be continuing. I audited 5 Aldi's on Friday. 3 were okay. 2 were starting to run out of everything, not just toilet paper, but frozen foods and other things as well.

My co worker said that Woolworths are starting to put up signs that they are not refunding for change of mind. So if you have bought 50 packets of toilet paper and gotten into fights buying it. You are stuck with it and not allowed to return it.

One lady has been charged. She had a trolley full of toilet paper and another customer wanted one and a fight ensued. Limits were brought in after that.

Other than that business is as usual. We are asked to stay home if sick and co worker said kids have been taught to pull out their shirts and sneeze into their bodies. Woolworths have also stated that 7.30am to 8.30 am is for seniors only

I did hear that Italy had closed everything except supermarkets and pharmacies.

I can see them closing to customers and delivery by drones!
                        It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• PF: Ugh, poor guy. Hope he feels better soon. Sounds like you're doing everything right!

Lost: Definitely not an expert, but after doing a bit of research, it seems that genetically they are different colors: buckskin=cream dilution on a bay coats and dun=dun dilution gene on all coat colors. Duns also exhibit a dorsal stripe and/or striping in other areas of the body (legs, shoulders, etc.). Everything else I found descends into arguments over what is really dun, but I think that's the main difference. So sad to here about Welly World, but good for them for doing it.

Faye: Thank you! After going deep into this buckskin vs. dun thing, I also learned there is such thing as a dunskin, so perhaps that is what I should call him. 😂 It's awesome to have a breakthrough moment on those things - good job!!

Suzie: Ugh, that sounds rough. Stores are currently barren here. Luckily, I keep a closet full of extra everything always, so we're good for a few weeks. (I just realized this weekend that I got that trait from my great-grandmother who always had a closet full of extras, including canned and vacuum-sealed extra food. It's incredible what traits you pick up as a kid without even knowing it.)

__

The past week has been a bit tough for me. I work from home, so I already practice social distancing almost every day, and it's been rough mentally to not be able to leave the house. I've had to cancel 3 separate events/trips, including Tryon (since they cancelled their Welcome Series), and those events have been getting me through the dreary past 2 months. I also had a few tough lessons and sprained my left wrist (unrelated to riding).

End of pity party. I haven't cancelled my riding lessons (yet) because I really need something to get me out of the house, and the barn hasn't advised it (yet). It's also a very, very small barn. Aside from trainers, I see maybe 2-3 other people when I go. I had a really good lesson on a different buckskin gelding pony that I quite liked. I've heard that some horses love jumping, but I always questioned if they actually love it. No, this pony loves jumping - I get it now. We did some crossrails, and he was really fun. I cantered my first crossrail (unintentionally - misheard instructions), but I apparently did lovely. I was told I was a pleasure to watch and that my fitness is really showing. Plus, pony liked me. Yay! I have another lesson tomorrow, so hopefully I can keep it up.

Dunskin update: Trainer rode him over the weekend, and as it turns out, he hasn't been ridden in an arena in ~6 months, so he's get used to that again. He is handy broke, but it sounds like not much else? She's working on him now, so maybe I will get to try him in a few weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by ridernc View Post
                            PF: Ugh, poor guy. Hope he feels better soon. Sounds like you're doing everything right!

Lost: Definitely not an expert, but after doing a bit of research, it seems that genetically they are different colors: buckskin=cream dilution on a bay coats and dun=dun dilution gene on all coat colors. Duns also exhibit a dorsal stripe and/or striping in other areas of the body (legs, shoulders, etc.). Everything else I found descends into arguments over what is really dun, but I think that's the main difference. So sad to here about Welly World, but good for them for doing it.

Faye: Thank you! After going deep into this buckskin vs. dun thing, I also learned there is such thing as a dunskin, so perhaps that is what I should call him. 😂 It's awesome to have a breakthrough moment on those things - good job!!

Suzie: Ugh, that sounds rough. Stores are currently barren here. Luckily, I keep a closet full of extra everything always, so we're good for a few weeks. (I just realized this weekend that I got that trait from my great-grandmother who always had a closet full of extras, including canned and vacuum-sealed extra food. It's incredible what traits you pick up as a kid without even knowing it.)

__

The past week has been a bit tough for me. I work from home, so I already practice social distancing almost every day, and it's been rough mentally to not be able to leave the house. I've had to cancel 3 separate events/trips, including Tryon (since they cancelled their Welcome Series), and those events have been getting me through the dreary past 2 months. I also had a few tough lessons and sprained my left wrist (unrelated to riding).

End of pity party. I haven't cancelled my riding lessons (yet) because I really need something to get me out of the house, and the barn hasn't advised it (yet). It's also a very, very small barn. Aside from trainers, I see maybe 2-3 other people when I go. I had a really good lesson on a different buckskin gelding pony that I quite liked. I've heard that some horses love jumping, but I always questioned if they actually love it. No, this pony loves jumping - I get it now. We did some crossrails, and he was really fun. I cantered my first crossrail (unintentionally - misheard instructions), but I apparently did lovely. I was told I was a pleasure to watch and that my fitness is really showing. Plus, pony liked me. Yay! I have another lesson tomorrow, so hopefully I can keep it up.

Dunskin update: Trainer rode him over the weekend, and as it turns out, he hasn't been ridden in an arena in ~6 months, so he's get used to that again. He is handy broke, but it sounds like not much else? She's working on him now, so maybe I will get to try him in a few weeks.
                            Well some woman tested positive to the coronavirus, then hopped on a plane and went to the Whitsundays where she was found on a beach. She says she didn't know what self isolation meant!

What does handy broke mean? It sounds like you should lease the horse you rode today.

Comment

• Suzie: Yikes! People seem to be taking CDC/WHO warnings seriously too late. He is not available for lease unfortunately or I would be interested, and my barn doesn't have any other horses for lease right now. My trainer offered to help us find one to bring on-site, which is where we're starting with this new guy.

Where I come from, handy broke is essentially a cow horse. A horse that is very safe and you can use for cattle/ranch-related activities. My trainer has a Western background, so I assume that is what she is referring to, but I'll see what she says in the coming weeks as she has more time to work with him. I have no commitment with him yet as he's going into her training program for a few weeks regardless. If I pass on him (or he's just not suitable) by the end of that, then he goes along to another barn.

Comment

• Alas, the Pony snuggles have yet to happen. Haven't had the guts yet to ask Fab if lessons are off, as I would miss this weekend regardless.

It's weird being considered "essential personnel"- it adds such weight to what we do every day. I'm scared for some of our folks who are very vulnerable. As it is, some don't get many visitors and we're used to being their family. It's hard on the ones that know what's going on.

I'm trying to find some good coping mechanisms, as my anxiety is high- baking, cooking new recipes, petting the dogs. DH may work from home, so that will be interesting as well.

Comment

• Well, I just had one of those lessons yesterday where I felt like I couldn't ride at all. My trainer put me on a sales horse who has done the Big Eq and I literally could barely even get him to trot around the ring. She apologized and had me get another horse - she said that she had lunged him in the morning to make sure he was quiet but she thinks that may have been overboard given how lazy he was. I honestly felt like a complete beginner riding him... I do hope that I get another chance at him and it was just an off day for both of us. I did at least make him to do a lap around the ring at a relatively decent pace before I hopped off so at least he didn't get the last word.

The second horse I've ridden before, and she was lazier than last time as well, so maybe it was just something with the weather? The horse I ended my lesson on is a really cool horse, but requires you to ride with intention and make decisions, so I had my fair share of run-outs and stops during the lesson because I just wasn't "on". We ended on a good note, but overall I just felt very "blah" about my riding last night. Maybe a contributing factor is that this quarantine has really hit my motivation to work out and be healthy so overall I've just been in a funk. I need to commit to eating healthier and working out even though the gym is closed. Especially only riding once a week, I can see how much impact even a little bit of change in fitness can make.

Lucky - sounds like you work with older folks? Jingles that everyone does their part to keep this virus far, far away from them! I can't imagine the stress and uncertainty.
                                  My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
                                  http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Comment

• Max- yes, I work as an Occupational Therapist in various nursing home/rehab centers as a PRN employee. A friend posted on FB of her facility's way to combat the loneliness for our folks- they helped anyone who wanted to share messages to family to write it on a big white board and posted their pictures. Most were "I'm doing fine, I'm eating my food." One guy was missing his tobacco All the facilities have closed their doors to anyone not employed there, aka, no family/friends/vendors. I also ride once/week, when I can. One of my big things this year has been to ramp up off-Pony fitness and strength. Good job sticking with your second ride- run outs make me anxious and I end up over-riding and getting much more of a "yes ma'm" than I bargained for

Comment

• Stay safe, lucky.

Comment

• Well I decided to think outside the box with Stars. I think he is lording it over me and using the slow warm up to get out of work.

I really had a war with him asking him to go forward and him saying no continuously. It was not pretty.

He is perfect on the lunge for me. So I asked hubby if he was willing to be lunged on Stars. Up til now he has been my horse and hubby has not ridden him.

So I waited for the weekend and I lunged him very quietly. I asked hubby what he thought and he said he looked too quiet, so I put him on. No side reins in walk. Side reins in trot. I gave hubby a plaited baling twine handle to hang on to. I put the reins in one hand not being used because if Stars does do anything naughty he will stop if you take hold of the bit.

Stars was perfect. I even asked him to canter and had hubby sit back and pull himself into the saddle.

I took the lunging gear off, gave hubby the lunge whip and I rode in a circle around him. The same shenanigans but better than usual. Hubby is able to lunge his horses but is continually getting out of place in this situation. I keep having to tell him to keep behind. He keeps sending Stars sideways in the circle.

Hubby said that Stars felt like a school horse, not bouncy at all. His canter was so small and not at all what he had expected. I said that was because he was not using his back and I had kept him like that as I wanted the 2 of them to have a good experience.

We went out last night and slept in this morning, so by the time it came to do Stars it was hot. He is better when it is hot.

I lunged him properly getting him forward. I showed hubby his forward trot and asked if he could ride that if I asked for it. He said yes.

Stars was much better than yesterday. I got him to go forward in trot and canter and hubby said he felt really different and like a real horse.

This time I kept the lunging gear on Stars and gave him the lunge rope. I didn't put the side reins on and had him lunge. Stars was very good. Once again hubby not in the right place and I told him to put the whip straight up, that means quick, at this point of time in canter. He did not put it straight up but at Stars and he went to buck. I did get hold of the bit and stopped it and then immediately asked for canter again.

It is so hard - I do not want Stars to learn to buck from the lunge whip. I cannot lunge Stars and ride him at the same time.

I asked if he could see he did the lunging version to what he did to Sim in saddle to make him pigroot and fall off. I don't think he can 'see it', so all I can say to him at the moment is don't use a whip either asking for canter or in it.

I will see if he will give Dodge a day off tomorrow and we will work Stars before he goes to work. It will be at a colder time, to see if there is any improvement with what we have done.

On the Sim front. I tacked him up yesterday. He was absolutely perfect. I mean too perfect. He was standing still up to Stars level which hubby has totally untrained with Sim.

I hopped on and nope lethargic and a dry cough. I asked for trot and then stopped and hopped off. He had yellow mucous running out of his nostrils, which he did not have beforehand.

I spoke to my vet and he said to not ride him for 3 days and keep an eye on him and call if he gets worse.

He was grazing and hungry.

I put Dodge and Stars back in their own paddocks so they are not sharing water but probably too late.

This morning as it was hot hubby brought him up to the tack shed to permoxin him. No snotty looking nose. He was continuously trying to take steps with hubby as usual and when hubby backed the tractor and mower out of the shed, and went down the paddock, without shutting the door AGAIN. Sim was in there in the time that it took me to put Stars rug on. I heard the noise. He had a bag of pellets in the air. He got growled at and I went in and gave him a smack on the neck and said out. He stood. I repeated it as I wanted him to make the decision to leave the shed.

So Sim seems back to his own self. Hubby said he did hear him cough today. I didn't hear him cough today.

On the farm front, I honestly thought it would take years to recover from not having a blade of grass. I am sure you can remember not so long ago when I said we finally had rain.

Well we have been waiting to dry out from the flood and the more rain we have had. Hubby has spent yesterday and today cutting. I will spend the next couple of days raking. Please pray for sun, sun and more sun for us.

Then if still dry next week. We will have our long paddock to do.

it is grass so we will round bale and can do so in daylight as there is no leaf to knock off.

It will be the first time that we will make hay in about 2 years or so because of the drought. Hubby said there is a lot down there.

Comment

• Well, the city of Nashville is officially shut-down, our county is not yet. Barn is not an option as Fab is considered vulnerable population and I'm not about to risk it just to pet Pony. Fab promised extra cuddles from me Interestingly enough, my dad owns a construction company (remodels and such not from the ground up) and their industry is considered essential personnel as well. I'm watching all the training and youtube videos I can get for when we can train again.

Everyone stay safe.

Comment

Working...
                                          X