Sport Horse Spotlight

calucci_cf_sq

Real Estate Spotlight

HugesCaroline_1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greys: Yes, I had read that about insurance, but my trainer did recommend it, so I assume she would have a recommendation for how to do it properly (either with the owner or not). I'll work with her more on that once I get a chance to ride him and make a decision. 😊 Thank you for posting a link to your article - I loved reading it!!

Molly: It gets easier as the months go on? 😂 For me anyway, it just took prioritization of my budget. I eat out less, buy fewer non-horsey clothes, etc. I see spending about $200-$400 a month on "exercise" as not that widely out of place because in LA (where I recently moved from) that's about the cost of a fancy gym or an unlimited fitness membership. I also don't have a car payment so that's another $200-$400+ a month I don't have that most people do. Once I start my lease 🤞I'll probably be up around the $500-$600+ a month range, which I am justifying in the above ways. Boyfriend has come around on this though, and he said this week, I wish you could ride every day...you're much happier when you've been to the barn! Haha...

PF: Hope you're feeling better now!

Mustang: Exactly! I'm switching my lesson time starting next week in part to avoid it.

Eq: Yes, my trainer was nice enough to put us in contact with each other (and offer to help as find a horse to bring to an on-site lease, if needed), so I feel very lucky! Gorgeous photos!!

___

I had a lesson on a little red mare last night that I hadn't ridden before. As I was tacking her up, they starting prepping all the grain buckets, and she about lost her mind, so I knew it would be a fun ride. This of course was the lesson my boyfriend decided to come watch. Ugh. She was trying to get away from me the whole lesson, and eventually, my trainer had to get on and settle her down. (ETA: I forgot to add - she's also gaited, so that was another fun discovery for me.) I also think I found an interesting trait of mine that is causing some issues. When I'm told not to do something, my brain doesn't store the context of that situation, so I just remember don't do that thing. I think in an effort to not grip with my knees this lesson, I wasn't using my thighs at all. Sigh. After it was over, my boyfriend shared this sage observation: "It didn't look like you were doing everything she was asking you to do fast enough." Thanks, haha.

Leasing update: The above mare was offered as a potential candidate for me, but I don't think it's a good fit, at least not right now. I want something a little more forgiving and less pushy. The buckskin should be in training with my trainer this week, so I hope to see him on Sunday. I spotted a lovely tan coat and black mane in the pasture yesterday, but I'm not sure if it was him or not. I also asked about tack for him, and since it's a care lease, I think it's unlikely, though my trainer said his owner may send a saddle since he isn't riding anymore. She offered to let me use her tack, but I should probably consider buying my own in the future. I guess another reason to start saving...

Comment

• Love the pics, EqJ! Very nice.

ridernc, gaited horse a definitely a different breed. What type of riding discipline is your lesson? Or what type of riding does your trainer teach? I'm curious as to why they even have a gaited horse. They are huge here, of course, since I'm in TN, but most folks either ride trails with them, or stick to gaited-only type riding and showing. They don't really "mix" well with other disciplines along with non-gaited horses. I'm not saying they can't be fun, they are just different. I've ridden quite a few, but not in a lesson-type situation. Hope the buckskin works out.

Not much going on here. I'm in the process of ordering some Scoot Boots for Surge. We also turned him out for the first time with Tay. They got along quite well. Surge has his own hay back, but insists on sharing Tay's. Not sure Tay's thrilled, but he's tolerating it well.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200225_171633.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	10586266

My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Loooooonnnngggg time lurker here from dressage land. (I do jump my young horse on occasion just cuz he loves to jump, not because I'm brave or anything.)

Anyways, are jumping saddles more versatile in fit than dressage saddles? Each horse of mine has HIS saddle that cannot be shared. Even in the past when I had a couple horses with very similar build, neither one would tolerate sharing saddles. Right now, when I jump, it's in a dressage saddle, but it would be nice to eventually use an actual jumping saddle. Is that an easier find than the agony I go through every time I get a new horse and it demands a new saddle?

Comment

• Welcome, Sue B! Oh, boy, saddle fitting. I think it is a hassle no matter what discipline. And if multiple horses have different shapes, that makes it difficult. That being said, I have three TBs, and an Appy/Trak with different body types, but I have been able to swap my saddle on them. It may not be a perfect fit on all, but close enough that different half pads make it work. They each have their own half pads. One needs back shims, one needs fluffy, on needs thin. Not sure what the new guy needs yet!

Have you worked with a saddle fitter? I recently did to size my big-bodied TB to a dressage saddle. She did a good job with her recommendation.

Good luck! Tell us about your horses. And don't worry, even though this thread is on the hunter jumper forum, we ride multiple disciplines here. You don't have to jump to fit in.

Comment

• PF: My barn is dressage and jumpers, and I'm on the pre-jumper track. For context, I think she came from mounted archery and that is a hobby the BO participates in, so that may explain why she's around. I don't think she is a FT lesson horse. This is the first time they've put me on her, so maybe there was a specific reason or something came up with another horse/lesson. I try to be pretty understanding of that sort of thing, but if I'm on her again, I'll ask.

Aww, they look so cute together!

Comment

• Brief update on Sky: She finished her round of medication, rejoined her friends in turnout, and exhibits no symptoms. I sat on her yesterday for a brief ride--just walking around the field several times. She did not cough and felt normal, so we'll probably slowly resume work. It felt great to get on her. She was a very good girl during her illness, but is soooooo glad to be back outside at night.
              I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Great news, Dewey!!!

Comment

• Dewey- glad Sky is doing better!

Comment

• PF: Your boys are so sweet!!! How is Surge doing?

Rider: red mare . I've never sat on a gaited horse before, how are they different? Take your time and find the right horse! I would take advantage of using owners saddle or borrowing your trainers (as long as it fits you), since you are not getting a longer term ease, saddles can be tricky to fit every horse down the road for you. That said, I did get a Pessoa when i was leasing different horses and it seems fine

Dewey: Such good news !! so glad Sky is better!

Mustang: 26??? You had me surprised too! That's so awesome!! Keep us posted, fingers crossed his leaser will keep leasing him!

Eq: Great pictures!!

I take lessons every friday and Saturday, so by friday, i literallly haven't ridden in 6 days! I'm on Mr Giant today and tomorrow. I think we are really trying to figure each other out. I sat on him and he was like," oh, its her again, when she swings her right leg back, do not swap leads", Today, our goal was not to have any refusal and i'm happy to report it was success! I also make sure that he has a good canter to start, and we have enough pace, and he seems to be super game on! Oxer? no problem! Distance wonky? It's all good, add a step for ya!

I'm super happy with him! But i will continue to keep my leg on, and shoulders back, he will have a melt down if i lean forward so i keep that in mind!

Comment

• Sue B you can now get saddles where you can swap the metal in the front to fit different horses. That said I was a trail ride guide in a dressage saddle. I round up cattle in a dressage saddle. I do poles and caveletties in a dressage saddle and if you are not jumping much just put your stirrups up and jump in a dressage saddle.

As long as you are experienced and can keep your weight down. Remember that western riders call english saddles ejector seats!

Rider this is actually a fault of your instructor. It is the way human brains work. The brain takes out the negative word. So if I tell you to not think of a black cat. The first thing you do is think of a black cat.

A basketball coach told his player not to go up and right against his opponent. Guess what the player did the whole game.

Istead if you are told to think of a pink elephant, you will think of a pink elephant and not a black cat. If the basketball coach had told the player to go down and left. The player would have spent the game going down and left.

So as an instructor she should be telling you what to do, not what you should not do.

So instead of saying don't pram push. Think thumbs up. Instead of thinking don't look down, think look up, instead of thinking don't put heels up, think heels down, etc etc etc.

As for your boyfriend's observation. Some things could be happening.

1 is the above with your brain not picking up the negative but doing the opposite it is told and also incidentally why positive people HATE being around negative people but I digress! So your brain thinks the opposite does the opposite then you try and correct it, that takes time.

2. The instructor is giving you too many things to think of at once. As instructors we start with beginners just saying heels down and look up. 2 things. Another thing now and then but sitting on a horse is not a natural thing. If you put a man on a horse and a rein in his hand the first thing he does is slouch and pull on the rein.

So to start with a rider does not know they are doing something. Lets say lift their left hand. So the instructor has to say it 1750 times then you know to change your hand. Then you start to realise your hand is incorrect but you only realise before the instructor says it for the next 1000 times. Then you start to change it before the instructor says it. Then the instructor starts telling you to change something else and it starts all over again. Which is another thing that means only a few instructions at a time.

So as you get more experienced you will do what the instructor says quicker. Your boyfriend will be able to observe when that happens probably before you do because to you, you already think you are doing it as quick as possible.

You can also see how patient us instructors have to be!!!!
                      It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• We also do not have a lot of gaited horses in Australia. I do not know if you count pacers as they are really driven to pace not ridden. They are ridden after finishing racing.

We had quite a few at the trail ride place. Even a pacer that had not paced for years. Galloping up a hill the standardbreds took way more strides than the thoroughbreds. The stride was fundamentally changed somehow.

Comment

• LOL Faye. One day hubby had a lesson on Ben. Hubby unknowingly kicking him every stride. My instructor turned to me and said he was not going to ask for canter as Ben was reacting.

By the second half of the lesson it was Ben who had worked out to ignore the leg, not hubby who had learned not to do it, even after it was pointed. out what he was doing.

Which goes to show you just how quicky horses learn compared to riders.

So how long for Ben to ignore legs if solely ridden by hubby? What are the 2 horses at home ridden by hubby doing?

It goes to show why good riders should ride a school master to see what they are doing, that they don't know they are doing, as their own horses have learned to ignore!

Comment

• Faye- glad you're still getting to work with Mr. Giant. Can't wait to hear about your continuing adventures.

Comment

• Susie: You are absolutely right, they are such better students than we are!! Mr Giant learned to ignore my bummed right leg, i tried my best to keep my leg on and feel of his mouth to support him, keeping shoulder back and support support and now he is learning to trust me! This is such a fantastic progress. It is so great to learn on trained horses!

Lucky: The first few times when i know i'm riding him, it was a knot in the stomach feeling! Now, I'm excited to ride him! He is the most cuddly horse ever (competing with pony here!).

Todays lesson was a chilled lesson and we didn't course, but did some exercise, really good one! Mr. Giant was great on every one of them! And i remind myself to support him all the way. The horses at this barn all teaches me something in a very positive way!

Comment

• Faye- so glad you are having fun, as it should be

Pony and I got to try working within gaits today. Collected trot (almost), working trot (felt wonderfully elastic), extended trot (try not to hack off Pony). Extension needs work, in its truest form, it's new to us both. She gets initially ticked off b/c you sit the extension and she just knows I want canter, not longer steps.

E rode after me today, so my plans for in-hand work were dashed. I did, however get to practice some while I was getting ready. This one series, from a Western girl, has been fabulous. Pony gave me smooth, prompt back up without pressure on the lead. Before, I was almost crowding her to get it to work and using my hand too much on the lead to make it happen. Amazing what happens when I figure out how to teach her, and let her learn and figure it out.

Last week, I would keep asking the question and rephrasing it when I didn't get a response, instead of ask one way and keep the pressure until she takes it off. So fascinating.

And, Fab said I could do all the walk/trot classes, including ground poles and hunter hack crossrails w/t. I offered for E to do the in-hand classes as well, or at least divide them with her, as we could both do in-hand trail. She said since it was mine and Pony's thing, she was fine letting me have all of them

I'll get to show under my favorite judge and then someone we did a mini clinic at the barn with. We got two horses from her many years ago and she knows her stuff.

Comment

• SuzieQNutter another lurker here...I had one of the exchangeable saddles and I found it was more hassle than it was worth -- I got better results from owning a variety of half pads and making judgment calls every time I got on a different horse (I'm still somewhat in the re-rider schoolhorse purgatory phase)

I second using whatever saddle style you're comfortable and used to riding in for just about everything though, although I'm considering getting an australian for trails since I've just switched into a significantly less cushy and secure jumping saddle than previously (this is a good thing, good luck getting me to shut up about how much i love it)

Comment

• Originally posted by postgradmess View Post
                                    SuzieQNutter another lurker here...I had one of the exchangeable saddles and I found it was more hassle than it was worth -- I got better results from owning a variety of half pads and making judgment calls every time I got on a different horse (I'm still somewhat in the re-rider schoolhorse purgatory phase)

I second using whatever saddle style you're comfortable and used to riding in for just about everything though, although I'm considering getting an australian for trails since I've just switched into a significantly less cushy and secure jumping saddle than previously (this is a good thing, good luck getting me to shut up about how much i love it)
                                    Post We bought a saddle with it. Changing is no problem as that is hubby's domain! We have only changed it once so far as it is Sim's saddle at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuzieQNutter View Post

Post We bought a saddle with it. Changing is no problem as that is hubby's domain! We have only changed it once so far as it is Sim's saddle at the moment.
                                      lol meanwhile my husband steers VERY clear of anything involving horses

Comment

• Originally posted by postgradmess View Post

lol meanwhile my husband steers VERY clear of anything involving horses
                                        I wrote hubby off when I learned his family had a dog and when it died it was never replaced and no other animals.

We lived on 2 acres. Hubby said he didn't want anything to do with the horses. I said I had to teach him how to take a bridle off. If he came home to a tacked horse and no Sue. I know he would want to help and untack the horse and I didn't want him hitting their teeth with the bit.

So I showed him how to untack.

He would go for a run and we would jog along side him.

He did learn to feed, rug and unrug when I was working more hours.

He did put on hoof oil and told me that Vinnie was now his as I loved Pepper and she felt rejected.

(All horses are treated the same)

He came in crying the night we lost Vinnie. I grieved.

I told him I didn't want another horse. Pepper was over 20 yo. He wouldn't live much longer. Once he had gone I would be out of horses.

We lost Vinnie on Father's Day which is in September for us.

Every day. Every.single.day. he read out adverts for horses.

No I did not want another horse. Wrong sex, wrong price, wrong colour, wrong height, wrong training, wrong height, wrong breed.

We moved to a farm of 100 acres that we had bought before losing Vinnie.

Until April when I suddenly figured out that if I did not agree with a horse. He would buy one and bring it home and I would end up at home training it and I may as well have one I liked.

Hubby was chuffed with the next advert. 16.3hh black 3yo TB gelding $300.00

There was nothing I could say was wrong with that.

I said if he has raced I don't want him, but I let him call.

He had raced 5 weeks prior and not been ridden since. Hubby hung up, but the guy did day get her to come and see him and she will buy him.

So I rang back and I ended up with the smartest horse I have ever ridden.

Next day hubby and I had the biggest fight we have ever had. Mark (hubby's co-worker) told him he doesn't want to ride Pep as he is too old. He needs to get a youngster. Get on it at the bottom of the hill. Gallop it up the hill and he will then know how to ride.

NOT ON MY WATCH!

I put him on Pepper with the reins on a halter and taught him that turning his head meant Pep turned. Dropping his weight meant halt and 15 years later he is now a rider with 2 tbs.

He has built us a dressage arena and a tack shed and is now building yards with stables.

All from teaching him how to take a bridle off!

Comment

• PF/Lucky - hoping all is well with you and yours after the storms in your area last night! Check in when you can.

Comment

Working...
                                          X