Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Real Estate Spotlight

BB2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky - I have the opposite problem, even when I try to use a whip a lot of the time I'm only ineffectively hitting my own leg

Greys - Glad to hear you're having fun in FL! Are you going to do Del Mar? I was toying with the idea of making a trip down. Faye and Mustang, want to road trip?!

Dewey - Hope Sky feels better soon.

EqJ - You know we are here to enable!

RiderNC - Good job on all your progress!

Cupid and I have been doing well. I realized we had started to get a little lazy so the last two rides we did lots of transitions to make sure he is responsive off my leg. He is feeling stronger and more balanced in the canter, a real rocking horse feeling! For a moment I thought he was struggling with the footing, but I quickly realized that no, this is a good thing
    http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• PF that was so much better to watch than all the liberty we saw at the Horse Home Show. They did say that in America in Liberty they have progressed to doing certain patterns. We didn't see that so I presume it is not as advanced in Australia.

Well Sim tried to kill himself. We have let them all out to eat grass rather than standing in mud and feeding them. Sim is usually out so they are out with him.

He went into Stars paddock and pulled up an old cattle grid. It is not a square one that cuts luckily, but round poles that had been fenced off. Hubby said there was no way he could have pulled it out of the ground so it just shows how strong they really are.

He has not cut his legs or broken them which is really what the ninny deserved! He has taken a bit of skin off on his heels and is swollen and would not walk when we first found him, which was a long way from where he did it.

Hubby said he drank 2 buckets of water and he gave him his feed even though I told him to not put it right near him. Hubby really is such a softie!

The next morning Sim had moved. He was very slow and limping.

Last night hubby gave Dodge his feed. He called Sim, who was not in sight. He went up and fed Stars in his paddock, still calling Sim.

When he turned around Sim was eating Dodge's feed and Dodge was standing near by.

Hubby called Dodge and Sim picked up his head and turned and looked at hubby.

Dodge put his nose in the low tyre feed bin and pulled the whole feed bin away so when Sim turned back the feed bin was gone.

Hubby said it was the funniest thing he has seen.

For nearly 50 years I have used Debrisol and then try blue on wounds. It works. It doesn't need to be bandaged. The debrisol stops proud flesh and promotes healthy healing.

The Tru Blue is now called Tru Blue II and is made by Joseph Lyddy. I LOVE it because as you know Australia is famous for flies. It is summer and you have 20 flies on a small wound. The Tru blue works by turning the wound a deep purple or even black. This switches off any attraction by flies.

Modern sprays that have come out like cetrigen and whatever hubby bought last time are beyond useless. They are pink. After a couple of hours it is a beacon to all the flies in the district.

I could not buy Tru blue. I rang the company and they have been unable to source what makes it blue. They will start making it again when they can.

ARGH probably something like iodine which we can not get anymore because drug lords buy it to make drugs. $%$@@$%% rant rant rant!

The local guy told me to use sulphur. It doesn't need bandaging, so I had some of that and put that on. It is cheap and it works!
      It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• PF- Fab just posted the prize list for the shows. https://www.facebook.com/events/2333...tab=discussion If you don't do FB, let me know and I'll send you a Word version.

Pony will get to live up to her nickname, as hopefully we will do W/T cross-rails/ground poles, trail, halter, showmanship and unjudged in the canter class or two for crossover rules.

Comment

• PF: Thats great!! I'm super excited for Surge and you! I never really follow this makeover, what is it that you're suppose to train him? Showjumping ?

Eqrider: Thank you! That is indeed what I took home with, having like 6 stops in a lesson was messing with my head but at the end of the day, i took a deep breath, trainer seemed to trust that if i put on my big girl pants i am able to get him over and he did
          I'm excited you may get to show with the group! I totally hear ya about FOMO!! I hope you get to go!

Greys: You are absolutely right about that moment being intense, it was a bit scary approaching, knowing he may stop, and I also feel like i am a lot more confident. HUGE congrat on the interview ! Are you looking for another lease?

Lucky: I absolutely hate riding in the dark with light. I am not proficient with the dressage whip at all. When i took TSH to eventing, i was super worried that we can't get our canter depart, so i tried the dressage whip, after we practiced the test my trainer was like, umm let's ditch the whip. -- i've never use it again. That said, i ALWAYS carry a crop, I might not use it, or if the horse absolutely doesn't need it i might drop it, but i always have it on hand.

Rider: Glad your lesson with the TB went well! What other lease options are there for you?

Cupid: Tempting!!!

Suzie: Of course they try to kill themselves at every opportunity!

I was back on the giant yesterday and today. I was a little worried but not too bad. Since he is new to the barn, we are all trying to figure him out. It might be his past history, but his stops are not dirty, more like he's worried if the distance is not that great. I rode him with extra confidence today, and push him a little more forward and believe me when i say i had my legs ON, and he jumped everything. He's a fun horse to ride and a very kind soul. We still had a stop at the beginning, but once i know, i was reminded to sit up tall at approach (not hunch forward), and keep my leg on, he was totally game on. I'm very happy with my ride today! The fences went back down to crossrails/2ft, but with lots of rollbacks and tough turns. He has leads so it makes my life super easy!!

Comment

• Faye- great job with The Giant. Sounds like he may have been "dropped" at the base of too many fences and needs to trust his rider will support him through the jumping effort. So glad you had fun and are able to problem solve how to help him.

No lesson today- Pony and I did in-hand training. We did hind end cross-overs, dabbled in front-end cross overs. She's much better R stepping over L than the reverse, which I think is pretty common.

I made sure to be heavy on the praise and cuddles, however Pony had other thoughts. After one break, she refused to move until I gave her double cuddles. Then she stepped off promptly and we went back at it.

I was excited when I had her in the stall and got a hind cross over just by proximity

Comment

• Originally posted by luckymaverick View Post
              Faye- great job with The Giant. Sounds like he may have been "dropped" at the base of too many fences and needs to trust his rider will support him through the jumping effort. So glad you had fun and are able to problem solve how to help him.

Maybe? I was thinking, i wondered if he's launched his rider from those long spots so he gets a little worried if the distances are wonky, and if i don't have enough pace, he couldn't add, then he would stop?

Comment

• I was feeling a little sluggish/under-the-weather for my lesson yesterday, so my already too-slow reaction times were even slower. I was riding the same mare from last week, and as I brought her out of the pasture to tack up, she watched all her friends get breakfast, so I'm pretty sure she was irritated with me from the beginning. We mainly worked on canter departs as she has that rushy pace that I need to work on controlling. She was a little sassy so it was a lot of transitions. Overall, good experience working through some attitude.

Leasing update (Faye)! I reached back out to BO about starting a lease, and she doesn't have any horses available right now (and isn't super keen on leasing lesson horses through the warmer months when the barn gets busier). There must be something in the air because I heard two other students ask about leasing yesterday too. However, she recommended a few boarders who she thinks are looking to lease. She also put me in touch with another adult student who is looking to half lease, if we want to split a non-lesson horse together.

A few days after that, she got back in touch and told us that she is taking in one of her good friend's horses to tune-up before sending him along to another lesson program. However, after mentioning us to her friend, he thinks that the horse may be well-suited to us through a care lease. I don't know too much about him yet other than he is a 12 yo QH-looking buckskin gelding. He's coming to the barn this week to start work, and we (me and the other half-leaser) will get to try him out while he's here and decide if we want to lease him.

This seems like a pretty awesome situation, if he's a good match for us. Since it's a care lease, no lease fee, which makes the monthly cost really low. If we decide to move forward, I'm going to look into insurance, just in case. (I have insurance on my dogs, and it is proven so worth it.) Very excited to meet him!!

Comment

• ridernc That sounds like a very interesting lead. Care lease would be ideal for getting your feet wet. I would talk first to your trainer about insurance, you cannot always get it when leasing, it often has to be the owner to get it. But otherwise, that sounds IDEAL!

Suzie oh my gosh, SIM!!! You rascal! Why oh why are they all so hellbent on injuring themselves!

Faye Good for you for riding the big beast with some confidence and leg on. I'm working on that a lot too, supporting leg even when it's a quiet distance. I like that your trainer dials up the difficulty when the fences are low, I think that's really smart! For me, we are trying to figure out if we lease something to do the 1.30s and maybe 1.40s on for a yer and then buy another young horse or just buy something that's maybe 7 or 8 with a good brain. Budgets man, they are really the limiting thing here!

lucky isn't it cool when they just kind of get it and your aids can be smaller and more subtle.

cupid Transitions fix everything right. At this point I'm ready to nominate transitions for president! I'm not sure honestly what our show schedule is going to be. I really like showing at del mar bc they have nice big stalls for the horses, but I think we will only start to make a plan for May. I think the horses will need April to recover from florida and the trip home. But we will see! I'll keep you posted!

Going to be a little bit of an attention whore here, but I'm so excited, I got written up in the WEF Amateur Hour thing they do. I was so glad they published all the praise for my trainer and none of the blabbering I did about Charlie .

https://pbiec.coth.com/article/amateur-hour-julie-biel

Other than that, we finished the nightmare that is getting an FEI passport on a home bred horse! My trainer is getting Hudson geared up and we will make our respective FEI debuts in a couple weeks at Deeridge in Florida. I am super excited!

Comment

• Jumping in on this thread for the first time...

I’ve been re-riding in twice-weekly lessons for about a year now, and I’m about to dive into leasing. Holy moly is it expensive in my area! I’m not looking for advice on how to do this cheaper (I’ve explored those options), but rather some words of encouragement/commiseration to help me feel less bad about spending so much money on myself. I feel like I’m being irresponsible because I could do more with this money by saving or investing it, but at the same time, I already have savings and investments and every other financial responsibility covered, and I have the entire lease fee and year’s worth of expenses (plus some padding) sitting in the bank. I’m just finding it hard to say “I’m dedicating this lump of expendable money that I’ll never see again to horse stuff for myself, and that’s okay.” How do you get over this psychological hump and embrace the fact that making these types of decisions is the upside of being an adult?

Comment

• Rider: Excited for you that you may have a potential lease horse! It helped me so much when i started leasing. Remember i had never ridden before as a kid, so i was the one who puts the halter on all wrong, saddle backwards etc! Best of luck! Yeah, most cases, insurance is with the owner, but do check with your trainer.

Greys: I enjoyed reading that very much, and how dare they didn't include all about Charlie!! :P . I am super thrilled about the amount of confidence i gained here. I felt like there is some sort of break through that I can't even tell you what it is. My legs are not as solid on this big guy, i think because i'm trying to manage his stops, so everything else goes out the window, but one can hope right?

Molly: Welcome! So, this is what i discovered through riding as an adult and never as a child. I went from taking one lesson a week (~250/month) to leasing plus one lesson a week (~600/month), then increasing to owning. This sport sort of condition you to think it's reasonable! I still have to tell myself, as long as we have savings, maxing out on everything and spending money responsibly, we are okay. It is hard because my DH does not have expensive hobbies and it is very scary for someone who's not in the horse world.

Comment

• Faye, the makeover, you can pick one or two of ten disciplines. There is show hunter, jumper, field hunter, eventing, polo, ranch horse, free styles, competitive trail, barrel racing, and dressage. So you pick whatever you want. I will let Surge tell me what he wants to do once we can start riding him. Maybe another two weeks I think.

Good job riding the giant! I liked the IG video.

lucky, thanks for the link. It may be good just to get Surge out and about. I hope as we get closer to those dates I'll have a better understanding of what he's all about.

ridernc, I'm excited for you on the possible half lease. I do think that's an ideal situation for you right now! Please keep us posted. And I'm a sucker for a buckskin!

greys, LOVED the article!! And I'm happy to see you posted my favorite pic of your mom and Charlie! Love that photo.

molly, welcome!! Yes, horses are very expensive, but you can find ways to spend less on horse-related things. But you probably will not find anyone here who will say, don't spend on horses. We all have a passion for it, and we make it work somehow, and you will too. Sounds like you have a well thought-out plan. (You might want to read the article greys just posted about her thoughts on balancing horses with life.) I look forward to learning more about you.

Nothing exciting here horse-wise. I had to have my first colonoscopy on Friday (yee ha), which came back great, but after the procedure my blood pressure was really low, 85 over 58, then went up and down 88 over 54, 114 over 44 and back down to 79 over something, 95 over 50, 88 over 51, 89 over 51, then finally 94 over something when I left. So I had to sit there while they pumped 3 bags of IV fluids in. And to top it off, no one explained what was happening to my husband who was waiting. Receptionist kept telling him that I was waiting for a recovery room, or waiting to wake up (which I woke up as they were wheeling me out, and the doctor told him that.) Not fun. So came home and rested all day Friday. Was better Saturday. I didn't feel up to working with the horses though. Hopefully this week will be good. Of course it's raining all day today. Figures.

My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Molly - Welcome! Yes, it's expensive. If it nourishes your soul and brings you joy, it's worth it (y'know, as long as you can still afford food & shelter, and have some savings for emergencies). Like greys said in her wonderful writeup linked above, if riding makes you a happier person, a better employee, a more engaged partner, etc., then it should be seen as self-care instead of indulgence.

Greys - As you can tell from the above paragraph, I loved your writeup. Absolutely gushed over it. I loved your note about women feeling pressured to be everything to everyone, and how we can work to counter that inclination. And I can't wait to see your FEI debut! What were the challenges in getting an FEI passport for a homebred horse? My horse's FEI passport actually says he's an "Irish TB" when he's in fact an Irish Sport Horse (as can be easily verified by googling the sire and dam listed in his passport).

Suzie - Glad Sims is okay! How scary.

TC - Yes, a road trip is in order! I love those schooling sessions that emphasize transitions, so good for balance, responsiveness, topline building, etc. Glad to hear Cupid is getting stronger and feeling awesome!

Faye - Good job figuring out the Giant! It's hard to remain confident in that situation, but it seems like your approach really paid off. On another note, I love my dressage whip, but it took me a while to learn how to use it effectively. It's definitely not for every rider/horse. Personally I find it gives me more control than a crop, and I can do tiny taps to keep my horse paying attention to his hind end, or more of a whack when my horse is blowing me off. I also don't need to change my position or take my hands off the reins to use it, which is nice.

Lucky - Interesting re: the uneven crossovers! Do most horses have trouble the same direction? Is it like humans where we can be left-handed or right-handed?

Rider - That sounds like a great situation! And my horse also gets cranky at mealtime. On Tuesdays my lesson starts right after the horses tend to get grained, which means as I'm warming up my horse is watching all the horses enjoy their delicious meals. For him, it's torture.

~~~

Everything is peachy here. We're planning to do our first show of 2020 in a few weeks and I practiced dressage test 3-1 yesterday. For not having ridden through it in a few months I was really pleased. Our half-passes have gotten much better in the last year! That being said, there was an RV parked by the ring and for the first 20 minutes of my ride my horse would bolt every time we passed it. The second time we went past it, it me the whole length of the dressage court to stop him . He even threw a few bucks in! It was fairly amusing since - at least now these days - he's usually cool as a cucumber.

Our half-lease is still going well, but it ends in a month and I'm hoping the lady will renew for another 6 months to a year. She's casually starting to look for a horse of her own, and I'm selfishly hoping she puts that off until my horse is ready to phase down into less work. We'll see what happens.

I'm trying to be super patient when it comes to buying a jumper prospect. Setting the goal of getting my USDF bronze has helped me refocus on different goals which is nice, but I'm really itching to get back into jumping. I'm trying to go with the flow, basing the timing on when my horse tells me he's ready to phase down, but as a Type-A control freak, this is a tall order. That being said, I'm so grateful for his health and I love him to bits. The farrier was finishing up during my lesson last Tuesday and commented on how good he looked under saddle. I made a joke about him being better at dressage at 26 than he was at 16, and her jaw dropped - she thought he was in his mid-teens. That's always my favorite compliment !

Comment

• Grey's - I love that article! You are definitely re-rider goals And new mommy goals too. So exciting to hear about Hudson's progress.

Molly - I am lucky to have the means to enjoy my horse hobby without having to really think about it. I'm sure if I added it all up it would make me cry (I live in the SF Bay Area...) but I just refuse to do that! But I am fairly frugal in the rest of my life.

Rider - I hope the lease works out!

Paradox - Glad you're feeling better. We have had 0 days rain in February. Which I'm not going to complain about, though I'm sure we'll pay for it later, one way or another (heavy rain all spring or drought / water shortage in the summer...)

Yesterday Cupid and I went on a trailride under the redwoods (same park we usually ride) and it was really lovely!
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_150003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	10584121

Comment

• TC, I'm envious of your beautiful trail riding path! That looks so nice. Glad you get to enjoy it. Love the ears.
                              My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Mustang - I thought he just turned 20! Glad he's been feeling good, I hope the leaser renews. Maybe you can offer a month to month or 30 day cancel since you already know it's a good match, something is better than nothing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Training Cupid View Post
                                  Mustang - I thought he just turned 20! Glad he's been feeling good, I hope the leaser renews. Maybe you can offer a month to month or 30 day cancel since you already know it's a good match, something is better than nothing?
                                  That's a great idea! I'm going to propose that.

Comment

• Rider- what an exciting development. I love buckskins.

Greys- congrats! What a fun article and great pictures. Why is getting the FEI passport harder on a homebred?

PF- how scary! Have you ever had the twilight sedation before? On a side note, we would love to see you and Surge at any of the shows. Let me know if it works for you and I can give you any pointers, since I know Fab and E, Pony's other rider, will probably do all the shows. Oh to not have a budget

Molly- I don't lease, however I'm the only horsey one in the household, or my immediate family. I look at riding as my version of self-care. It keeps me happier, grounded and, as I remind DH, it's cheaper than a shrink. Plus, you can't put a price on Pony cuddles.

Mustang- from what I can tell by my research, and practical experience, the cross overs, aka baby steps literally to learning side passing and moving shoulders/hips independently in a crossing over method, are taught a certain way based on how the horse moves. R to L is what's considered a pull movement, it's inherently easier. L to R is a push movement and it's not as natural for them. Pony is L handed, like me, so we have the same better/worse side.

I'm going back to the rabbit hole that is YouTube to fine tune ground work cues into riding cues.

Comment

• Lucky/Mustang It took me over two months to just get the papers from the NA/KWPN. They were super slow to respond and would give incomplete answers. But that's not even a local passport, then I had to submit for an FEI passport with name change, which takes time to process with USEF, which then gets sent back to the barn for a vet to certify and then sent back to USEF until it one day comes back to you so you can enter your classes. Just a ton of back and forth and all the notification on USEF/FEI is kind of hard to understand honestly. When you import, they usually at least have a breed passport so getting the FEI one isn't hard, just kind of expensive.

Also, Mustang, add me to the list of folks who thought your horse was just 20. WOW!!!! You know, whenever I ride Hudson, the one thing I wish I did better was really correct flatwork. In thinking of getting a young horse, every hour you improve your dressage will pay dividends with a young horse. I know you know that, and i know that's cold comfort, but when you're 6 months in with your green bean, I also know you will be grateful you took this time to strengthen your own foundation. Your new horse will be lucky!

PF YIKES!!! that sounds so scary! After childbirth and some other minor surgery, I have had those blood pressure episodes and they are REALLY intense. I hope you're taking your time recovering!

Comment

• ridernc - How exciting about the potential lease! And if this particular situation doesn't work out, it sounds like you could potentially get together with someone at your barn for another half lease, so that would be great! Keep us updated.

Greys - What a great article and talk about goals!! I am having a hard time transferring ownership of Fiona over to me, so I get what you went through w/ the passport on a much smaller level - just a headache of waiting and the wrong paperwork, etc.

Molly - Oh, the money guilt is real!! I totally agree with Faye - eventually you have such an inflated sense of what is normal that the $250 a month on lessons seems like a drop in the bucket. Let's all go in on lottery tickets?

PF - How scary! I hope you are doing better this week. (Happy the results were normal, though!)

Mustang - It sounds like there is so much fun potential on the horizon! I will keep my fingers crossed for 6 more months of lease time before you and the lessor move in different directions.

TC - that is gorgeous!! I cannot imagine riding a horse on such a pretty trail.

We had a small local show at my barn on Saturday and it went pretty well! My medal class wasn't my best effort, but at least it gave me something to work on. After a few mimosas with my barn friends I decided to pull the trigger and join them at HITS next month! I realized I never shared my pictures from when we were there in December, so here they are. In the one with the beautiful oak tree if you look closely at my face you can see how well that round was going, haha. I think the plan is to do the Adult Equitation and the Adult Hunter.

Comment

• Eq- what great pics, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                                          X