Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost- I totally forgot your new girl was only 5, the pic I've seen I figured she was older with the way she jumped

Sugar- thank Faye for the pics, she taught me how to write on them. What's the fence height on the Adults?

Dewey- congrats on your show! What a neat product, it sounds similar to what we rig for Pony now, a big pellet slurry in her industrial feed tub.

Greys/Lost- Good luck and safe riding. Can't wait to hear reports.

Had a really productive lesson today. Fab and I talked about showing, and since she's going to put on a series just up the road, I can afford to do more than one. Showing off the trailer, flat fee for as many classes, totally my kind of series

Pony and I worked through her wanting to stop past the gate- she did it several times with her other rider before I got on. I even played around with Intro A and actually trotted it. We had such fun! Pony thought she did so well she refused to leave the arena after we were done. I said "hey, sis, let's go". She shook her head and lowered it. So I gave her pats and cuddles. "Hey sis, let's go". She shook her head again and stood there for round two of cuddles. After that, she walked in willingly.

Getting riding fit is hard. I wanted to walk so, so badly. I literally told myself " self, you are not doing Pony or you any favors if you walk now. you both need to get fitter and it won't happen with a walk break now". Rinse/repeat.

One fun project from now until the shows is practicing our in-hand work. E, her other rider, does not like to do any of it, so hopefully I can do most of it. Halter, we can do fairly well, if there's no pivot (arab classes). In-hand trail and walk/trot trail need work. We were going to do riding trail at that one show but Pony was so flipped out over the mini donkeys we had to scratch.

Comment

• PF - How is everything with the house going? Any bites? It can be such a long process selling a horse property, hang in there! That is super cool about Tay's history, and definitely helpful that your trainer knows him so well! He sounds like a wonderful schoolmaster type who can teach you a ton! I'll bet a lot of that will transfer to the new guy too. You're in such a good spot right now with the four you have, I'm a little envious of your situation! I'm trying to find a schoolmaster type as a practice horse to keep me on top of my game for Lucca! I think it's such a nice balance to have one that knows the ropes when you're bringing along a greenie. Definitely helps keep your sanity

Dewey - Congrats on a super successful show! So glad to hear Sky is doing well. Thanks for the info on the hydration hay...great idea for shows!

Lucky - I totally hear you on the rider fitness! Between the new puppy and the move I've been slacking on working out and instead have been doing several planks throughout the day and have been starting every ride warming up in two point. It's a killer but I'm already feeling like I'm deeper in my heel! How awesome about the show series, very excited for you guys! The adult hunters are 3'.

We just finalized our 2020 show schedule - have any of you shown at WEC or HITS Balmoral before? Those are new venues to us this year and I'd love tips on where to stay and what to do!

Comment

• Sugar, thanks. You're right, it is nice to have the old pro and soon-to-be greenie. Jazzy is still somewhat greenie, too, as he's only been off property once and it was not a great experience. I hope my DH gets him out more this year.

Are you going to do any shows at Brownland? I would love to cheer you on!

Lesson report. Well, it was mostly a good lesson. Flat was good. I did get a nice compliment from my trainer. He said that Tay frames up for me nicely, quickly. I made some comment about him being a nice horse, to which he told me to take some credit. He said, Dante doesn't do that for all riders. He likes your hands. So that was nice to hear.

I had my spurs on for flat, because he starts a little lazy. By time we canter, he's good to go. I was going to take them off, but trainer suggested I keep them for two small jumps, then take them off. Okay. First jump, I must have goosed the poor boy, and he was straight UP over the fence, ha. We decided no spurs for jumping as I work on my legs more. Poor pony. We had some really nice fences where things came together really well. Before when I jumped, it was always more of of, I made it over, I'm happy. But now trainer is really making me think. If something goes wrong, he explains it. So part of my issue (along with the hands, etc.) is that I think I see my distance, and just let everything go. Meaning, my legs get loose, etc. So he had me working on right before my jump think legs long (and I told myself, keep legs on). It really helped when I took the time to think. Jumps seem to come so fast I don't always feel like I have time to think. But as I keep doing this, it mentally slows down, and I'm thinking more. I felt like I had some really nice jumps where my legs were in proper position, my release was where he wanted it, and we came out of the jump the same as we came into it. Not all were like that, but when they were, it felt lovely. After about 3/4 of my lesson, headed for a jump, and Tay started limping. ACK! Got off immediately. He stepped on his shoe and it was twisted. I had visions of his twisted shoe from the day we got him. But trainer went to the barn and got our farrier tools and took it off right away, and he walked fine after that. Luckily we caught it within a few strides. So he's in a boot till we can get the shoe back on. Always something!!

Hope you all are having good weekend. Happy Super Bowl tomorrow for those that watch. I know we have some west coasters here, but GO CHIEFS!! (honestly, I like the 49ers, too, but I'm a Mahomes fan -- even if he did knock my Titans out.)
        My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Suzie: I started doing some offline journaling (just for myself, so probably a bit more personal and a bit more boring, ha). I have a terrible memory for just about everything unfortunately. Yes, the horse that passed was the horse I was considering leasing, sadly. 😢

Cupid: Thank you. Yes, that's exactly why I wanted to started one. Sometimes an instructor will say a thing a particular way that I like, and I want to remember it next time. I don't imagine it's super interesting for others, but it's helpful for me.

PF: Thank you - me too. I love the old boys!

Austen: He was a sweet guy. I really enjoyed riding and just being around him! That's a good way to look at it; I think it will be good to have a broader perspective when deciding on the lease.

__

This week has been crazy with (non-horse) work, and I'm going to be traveling 4 days next week, so I've been trying to massage my schedule to make sure I can still do two lessons a week. I rode another new horse this week! He's an OTTB that some of the younger girls who lesson act very wary of. I had no problems with him; in fact, I thought he was great. He definitely has more go than some of the other lesson horses, but typically, I don't find myself getting fearful of or anxious about horses unless they are just nasty on the ground to begin with, which this horse certainly is not. We worked mainly on contact and figures this week. Leasing is on the hold for moment due to Mr. Old Guy's passing. RIP

Speaking of piano hands, my instructors have brought up my occasional weird hand issue. I actually turn my hands too far up (palms up vs. down) when I'm overcorrecting. I guess some trainer must have really drilled it into me as a kid because I do it subconsciously. I really have to work on my hands though because I still fall back on neck reining a lot without realizing it. Whyyy

I started reading Jane Savoie's Dressage 101 to solidify of what I'm doing/learning in lessons. I have a few other books in my reading list, but I'd love any other recommendations. (I'm typically the type of learner who likes to read/watch something on my own, apply it, and then ask/questions get feedback to refine.) I have a lesson this afternoon, and one tomorrow afternoon, and then I'm off to Texas for the rest of the week.

Comment

• I love that book, ridernc. I have a few more I really liked and will check my library for the correct names and post them. Are you primarily looking for dressage books?

Comment

• PF: I'm open to anything that can be applicable to improving riding/horsemanship. I started with dressage as it's the basis of my current training program and the area I am the least familiar with, but I have some books from eventers and western disciplines that I also enjoy and find relevant. I'm loving the book so far! It's very clear and actionable - I'm treating it a bit like a textbook, haha.

Comment

• Rider. I am so sorry that it was the guy you were going to lease, which is why I posted to do it asap and enjoy every second with him. I felt foreboding reading what it said that he had.

'Horses are Made to be Horses" is a great book. It was put together by Franz Mairinger's students after he passed. He used to be in the SRS and was the one who introduced dressage to Australia.
                It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Sugar- Your show schedule sounds fun as well. I'm with PF, I would love to cheer you on if you come to Brownland. It's not too far from where my parents live. I have to go by there soon and look for cowboy boots at French's.

Comment

• PF - Loved your lesson recap and love what your trainer is having you work on! I've also been working on slowing down my mind while on course and really thinking about what is happening each stride. My trainer is great about having me focus on what comes after the jump, which keeps the jump itself from being the end goal! Don't you love that feeling when everything comes together before the jump and you can focus on doing everything correctly?! Sounds like you guys did awesome!! Yikes about the shoe, but so glad he didn't do any damage to his hoof! GO CHIEFS!!!!!

RiderNC - I've been way behind and must have missed the old horse passing away, I'm so sorry!! But, sounds like you had a great lesson on the OTTB! I agree, I like horses with a motor and a forward thinking mind. My young warmblood drives me crazy because the is the opposite of that....she'd much prefer to stand in the middle of the ring sunbathing to actually, you know, working As far as books, I like the Wendy Murdoch books, they're full of good visuals and exercises to fix common position issues....especially if you have a hand that is subconsciously creeping out of position, she probably has a fix for that

Lucky and PF - Ugh, we had Brownland on our schedule for the first week in June but had a conflict with another show and decided to do HITS Balmoral in June instead! One day, I WILL get to Brownland though, I promise!!

Not even exaggerating, had the best lesson I've ever had on Lucca yesterday! After the past month being full of ups and downs with her temper tantrums and hormonal behavior I wasn't sure we'd actually get to this point! But yesterday, it all came together and we put together some incredible feeling courses! I had been struggling with finding the balance between keeping her on the step without her breaking to a trot, she has a MASSIVE stride but if I touch the reins she'll often break (read lazy comment above ) but it all kind of came together yesterday and I finally figured out to bring my shoulder back a hair and sink in instead of touching her face. MAGIC. The lines rode amazing and she felt more rideable than she ever has. I'm finally getting glimpses of what she's going to be like down the road and I'm SO EXCITED about her!!

Comment

• Sugar Your lesson sounds amazing!!! It feels so good when the big stride can coil a bit especially bc of a change in balance. And lord knows that looks better in the hunter ring too! I feel like with young horses, it really improves in fits and starts. I can't wait to see her rounds this year! Good luck with the move, that sounds SUPER exciting as well.

PF Fantastic lesson recap and I'm really glad your trainer is clarifying how well you're riding this horse. It's hard when you're more on your own to know where you are. I know the feeling of frustration when you get your position correct over a few jumps but not all. It really requires such conscious thinking!

rider I'm so sorry for the older horse, what a bummer. Add me to the list of people who like horses with their own engine, I feel like that teaches you a bit of tact and avoiding being a nagging rider. For your hands, sometimes I really think we focus too much on the hand, where the real problem is in the stiff elbow and weak core. So I try to really think about what my elbows are doing, especially in the canter. See if that helps at all.

lucky I really hear you on staying riding fit. There is no substitute for saddle time, I think it's great you are pushing yourself so hard. And great to do more groundwork. Really interested to see what you do at the shows.

Dewey Loved the show report, sounds like you are making really thoughtful choices for Sky. But big thank you for the recommendation for the mix. I feel like some of our shows in the desert are so hot and dry, this is a great idea to ensure they're drinking enough.

Cupid how are you doing the half pass? It sounds like you're doing what my dressage coach had us do where we started shoulder in first and then I looked diagonally to where I wanted to go for the half pass and wrapped the outside leg to bring the whole horse diagonally across. So cool.

as for me, we had a super fun first week in Wellington. I lessoned Friday, we are focused on getting my leg down and around. I like my new saddle, but I'm worried I should have gotten a flatter seat.

We showed the next day in the low adults and holy crap, I felt like I left my trainer a nice chevy and came back to ride a sports car. Hudson had so much blood, and so much more ride-ability. I actually added a stride in a line we were worried would get short (7 in a 6 at the end of the course), which was unthinkable before!

https://vimeo.com/manage/389087966/general

we were clear with two time faults, which is A-ok by me! The classic Sunday went too late for me to catch my flight, so we braided Hudson up and did the adult Eq. Wow that is way more competitive than at Thermal! I was only 7th in the flat and didn't ribbon over fences. I biffed the bending line my first round and missed a lead change the 2nd. But still, for having never jumped hunter jumps, I was thrilled with Hudson. He was jumping hard, but felt brave and confident (I had to buy the photo, he's just so cute).

https://vimeo.com/manage/389083421/general

guys the best part was seeing Lost in Austen after my rounds and her DD. They were so charming and sweet to come out to watch me on a cold (for Florida!) morning! It was a blast finally meeting her and I can't wait to hang out again when I'm next out there.

Lastly, we did finally sell Sandro. He's going to a young girl in Colorado and they plan to let him live outside, which is fantastic for him. It was so hard to let him go, but seeing video of how different he is in Florida, I know he just doesn't belong in California with me and our limited turnout. I'm praying they take good care of him and they plan to stay in contact.

Comment

• Dewey: Super for the successful show with Sky, its so nice to hear that she did well! I hear you about the colic scared. Remember last time I took TSH to a clinic on a hot day, doing a little more than we normally do, and he colicked. I freaked out and got all sort of electrolytes for him, this hay hydration thingy would absolutely be helpful to have that piece of mind!

Sugar: So nice to see you back! Happy birthday Cash man!! Also exciting to hear about the light bulb lesson with Lucca! I just learned about the shoulder back and sink in trick. So my trainer had us practice on getting the horse to gallop, then experiment with "pounds of rice" aka how much to sink in to slow the horse down, or to downward transition without using our reins. MAGICAL. I am also always reminded to use my shoulder, instead of pulling on the reins. It has been super helpful for me!

PF: I'm loving that click when you realize its not all about just getting over that jump. That has been my mentality, and what usually happen is, even if i have a good course, after my last fence, in my brain, I"M DONE! and i will not go straight, cut the corner etc. My current trainer also tells me to think about every stride, keep my legs on every corner, but add legs doesnt mean to add speed without the power and let pony get flat. Worry about the canter, not the distance. and really focus on keeping my legs forward (i have tendency to pivot with knee and swing lower back up to the sky), and land on the heel. It's been life changing.

Lucky: So glad you are having fun with Pony. I use to show Toff by the trailer, those days are very memorable

Lost: Have fun and cheer greys on for us! Did your DD give you back Hope? That pic you posted on IG is SUPER!

RiderNC: I am so sorry that the old guy was the pony you were thinking about leasing. Take your time. I'm glad you are also rocking twice a week lesson. This consistent schedule is REALLY helping me. I wish i can do a mid week then a weekend, but now i'm doing Friday and Sat. Two day in a roll also is very helpful, but i crave that mid week ride. That said, i do like it when i'm done with work, and not having to worry about the next day.

Grey!: Long time no see!! Add me to the list of own motor! I find myself doing all sorts of cray when i'm riding a lazier horse, pumping my seat, pumping my whole arm, like an ape trying to get them to go forward, and jump the jumps for them. Its not pretty. Also along your advice to Rider, my trainer told me at the canter to follow with my ELBOWS, and that works way better than with my hands which i tend to gap/tighten/gap tighten instead of having an elastic following arm!
                        Yay for Sandro's landing spot! He can be friends with Toffle! Which city in Colorado? They have a lot more land! So happy for that!

I had two lessons as usual last week and it was fantastic! Like mentioned above, I'm finally able to think about my approach and my ride. Before with TSH, keeping him in canter was a little hard for me, he would land, canter then trot. Or if i'm working on flat, he wouldn't turn around the corner by the gate (my old trainer insisted it was me, so who am i to doubt that, but just to put it in perspective, i've ridden well over 30 horses and its not a consistent thing, once in a while i might have issue with someones canter, but it for 99% of time, its not an issue.

We worked on some tight turns, challenging tracks, still keeping fences low, nothing over 2"3 and i'm super happy with that. It hurts my brain a little to remember 6 fences, i dont know why but i think it helps to keep doing it! I have a whole new understanding of how to use my shoulder and seat to slow down rather than pulling as an answer. My legs are in much better position, i just need to keep working on my folding.

Hope everyone have a fantastic Monday!

Comment

• Greys- I've loved your IG pics. I'm so happy Hudson is doing so well. I know it was hard to sell Sandro, I'm glad you found such a good fit for him. I, too, will be curious to see what Pony and I do this summer in the ring. I can't wait to see how the work in-hand translates under saddle in general. Plan on adding gate work simulations every time we enter/exit. It's a legit gate we have, so I'll adapt. Hoping for a simple rope gate in the real thing.

Faye- I may need some of your memory tricks. Remembering pattern classes isn't my strong suit.

Comment

• I'm just jumping in here, sorry... but I feel like this is really a re-rider thing.

I recently purchased a trailer and it's the happiest/most excited I've been in a long time. Happier probably than when I brought home my current horse because of the freedom it represents.

I've been loading him and unloading him daily for about a week so that the hooking up and loading and everything is cemented in my brain. While I used to show quite a bit as a teen/young adult, I've never, ever driven a trailer or been responsible for the loading etc myself.

Tomorrow I haul him out to my lesson. Weather is supposed to be clear, it's only a 20 minute drive or so (probably 30 as I'll drive like an old lady with the trailer!) He is SUCH a good boy, previous life as a ranch-type who has been exposed to all and sundry. But I'm terrified! I'm already tensing up thinking about getting him there, unloading him, getting him into the arena, getting on him...

So talk me down those of you who do this on the regular. How can I make this stress free for me? (and him, of course)

Comment

• Pehsness I would just make sure you give yourself lots of time. Lots of time to load, lots of time to drive, lots of time to unload. Once he's loaded, before you even turn your key in the ignition, get everything in your truck ready. You don't want to be looking for your phone to remember where you're going or reaching for sunglasses bc there's glare. Have it really all set up. I know once the horse is in the trailer, I'm like go go go, to minimize their time in there, but that's when you need to go your slowest.

Don't be afraid to drive too slowly, take your time. My first few drives, I did box breathing at red lights (breathe in for four counts, hold it four counts, exhale four counts, wait four counts for the next breath, etc), bc that is proven to help lower your stress.

Finally, I got an inexpensive camera to keep an eye on the horses and that really helped me feel confident that all was well back there.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Magn...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Comment

• Suzie: Thank you - I think the silver lining is that I am getting the opportunity to ride a lot of different horses now that are teaching me different things about them. Plenty of time to lease a good match in the future.

Sugar: Thanks for the recommendation! I'll add it to my list. I learn more if I'm being challenged a bit by the horse because I have to think and problem solve - which can also be frustrating, but hey, that's what I'm paying to improve.

Greys: That's a good point; I will think about that next time. I have a real shoulder kink right now (too much working on the computer, sigh), and I think that wasn't helping my form in lessons this week since it's so tight. Sounds like you had a fun week, and that photo is beautiful!

Faye: Midweek is a bit tough for me too, but it is worth it. I had to move my lesson to Sunday and Monday this week, and I'm going to miss not going out until this weekend again now. My barn only does lessons Sunday-Wednesday, so I have to front load the lessons a bit.

__

Second lesson this week was a little tough. I had both trainers watching my lesson (since one had her lesson cancel), and it made me more anxious than normal. I was also having some hand issues—I think my shoulder kink really made me too stiff and hunched—that unraveled my focus and made me pretty sloppy overall. I was feeling a little defeated after the lesson because I didn't perform as well as I wanted to, but after a little bit of moping, I journaled about my lesson and tried to come away with the positives, things I learned that I need to improve on and how. I also scheduled a third lesson for next week (Sunday, Monday, Wednesday) because I want to really work through some of these issues while I'm focusing on them and to not give my attitude a chance to discourage me. I have a history of pulling back when I'm not achieving exactly what I think I am capable of, so I am trying to work through that by being more present, patient, and reflective. I want to do some video of me, so I can see for myself how I'm doing things, but I might not be brave enough for that yet, we'll see...

Comment

• greysfordays - thank you! Good reminder to just slow down...

I was sure your camera suggestion was to keep any eye on the horse... not the hitch! Good idea. I have a back up camera (how did people hook up a trailer without one?!) but I'm not sure it can be turned on while driving. My husbands can, which is neat.

My fears are... he'll freak out IN the trailer en route. He'll be a raving lunatic upon arrival and hurt himself getting off. He'll be so keyed up he'll be a fire breathing dragon in the arena and I won't be able to ride. Thankfully, I know these aren't rational fears because he has been hauled hither and yon and exposed to everything and is just generally such a good boy. But still... I won't stop worrying about it until we're back home tomorrow

Comment

• pehsness I use the camera to hitch and bc it's magnetic, then I put it in the trailer to watch the horses on the journey. It does double duty! You just need practice and positive data to point to that everything will be ok. Just take your time!

Comment

• pehsness, can you take a short ten-minute test drive with someone (you husband, maybe) with you, just to get one under your belt, so to speak? Just drive for a short while, and come home and unload. I like practice when I start trailering again. My DH mostly drives, but there was a stint where I would take Chico to lessons myself. After the first one, it's easy. Though I do still need a little practice with backing up.

Comment

• RiderNC, here are some of my favorite books. I could have gone on and on, but I didn't think I could fit any more in my picture collage. This may not work. Not sure you can read the titles. I can on my actual poc, but maybe not when I post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CollageMaker_20200204_144214419_copy_3072x3072.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	10571743

Comment

• Shoot...that isn't going to work. Sorry.

Top, left to right:

Riding Through by Debbie McDonald
                                          Dressage Training Customized by Britta Schoffmann
                                          Riding and Jumping Clinic by Anne Kursinski
                                          Classic Show Jumping: The de Nemethy Method by Bertalan de Nemethy
                                          Judging Hunters and Hunter Set Equitation by Anna Jane White-Mullin
                                          Training Horses the Ingrid Klimke Way by Ingrid Klimke
                                          Cross Train Your Horse by Jane Savoie
                                          Dressage School by Isabell Werth
                                          More Cross Training by Jane Savoie
                                          When Two Spines Align: Dressage Dynamics by Beth Baumert
                                          Build a Better Athlete by Leslie Webb
                                          How Good Riders Get Good by Denny Emerson

Comment

Working...
                                          X