Sport Horse Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

Massey_web2

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridernc- welcome, welcome!

PF- can't wait! So excited for you.

Comment

• RiderNC- welcome! More saddle time is good! Where in California were you from? Some of us are also still in Cali! (Norcal and Socal both!!) . Let us know if you decide to lease, i think its a great deal!

PF: I am so excited for you!! I am also super interested about the whole makeover thing, it would be super cool to have you walk us through the whole journey!

Lucky: Any pony time?

EQ: Love to hear about your clinic!

I rode two days in a roll and one more tomorrow! Yesterday I rode the trusted school pony and total confidence builder. She has near zero spooks, motor on her own, auto changes, point and shoot, super enjoyable ride. I suddenly will not worry about the crazy traffic in the ring because i know for sure she is totally fine with that!
      Today, back to the baby horse. There was a one stride in the middle that we just cannot get, arghhh.. Also, she really prefers the long spot, and jumped me completely out of tack almost flying, thank goodness my saddle is super sticky. She's a fun ride, learn a ton!!

Comment

• Rain rain rain

Just under 29 mm

Yesterday 55 mm

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200119-144914_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	10559762

Another 5 mm this morning.

I heard a frog yesterday. The first time in years.
        It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• And it just started raining again! 😁

Comment

• Yay for frogs!!
            My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Suzie: super happy for you !!! More rain !! And yay for frogs!

Comment

• Faye- no Pony time since the not so fun last lesson. I'm nervous about next weekend. I love the pic you posted jumping with Elsa, she has snappy knees for a baby

Comment

• Lucky: I promise it will be fine!! When a horse gets hot, i start to have a melt down, gets very nervous and they know, and it spirals down. Sometimes i will take a deep breath and tell myself it's okay, but i literally have mini panic attack the entire lesson. Elsa loves to pull her knees up to her eyeballs, and together with taking a LONG spot, it is not fun at all for this chicken ammy!

Comment

• Suzie: Thank you! I think it works out financially to make sense, assuming I make sure to take advantage of my time.

PF: Thanks! I am also super interested in your makeover experience. I always see folks I'm connected with share about the beginning and the end, but I haven't seen much of the middle.

Lucky: Glad to be here

Faye: I am originally from north San Diego county, but I spent the last eight years in Los Angeles. I did a little riding up in Topanga Canyon, but not much.

__

I had my lesson yesterday - two actually! The horse I have been regularly riding and considering leasing came down with thrush, so he had a hoof treatment earlier in the morning. About 45 minutes into my lesson, he came up a little lame on the right side, so the head trainer called my lesson short and offered to give me another one right after on a different horse, since she had the slot free. Switching from a tall, older WB to a compact, younger QH in the span of 2 hours really reminds me how important riding different horses is. (And oh my goodness, I have never had to catch a horse that did not want to be caught in a huge pasture before...yikes!)

As for the lease, I think I'm going to hold off a few weeks. I'm a little worried about leasing a horse that has a chronic thrush issue, which seems to be the case with the WB. He also frequently gets rain rot and has shivers, which makes his backend a little wonky on the ground. I'm currently lessoning with the jumping trainer (just flatwork for now) on Sundays and Wednesdays and will be moving to the head trainer on Sundays, keeping the other trainer on Wednesdays. This was my first lesson where I really felt substantial improvement over the course of the lesson, so I'm feeling very accomplished this week, despite pushing out a lease.

Comment

• Faye- it's almost like you're at my lesson, or in my head If I can breathe deep and actually relax, or fake it enough, she will relax and de-escalate, however I'm spoiled with her b/c usually her over-ride button is fantastic. I've only ridden one semi back-cracker and man I hated jumping him. I felt like I was gonna come off every time he'd do his killer bascule. And this was over 2'3 and under. Here's hoping for a fun IG story this weekend for us both.

rider- how fun to have two lessons, or one super-sized one. Thrush can be a bummer and I'm glad you know this propensity before you pull the trigger on a lease. I think it actually shows good horse sense and horsemanship to wait and not rush into anything. Look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Comment

• Good call rider. With horses there is no hurry. Good trainers know that. You know not to push a lot for today as by next week they will be better and it makes absolutely no financial sense to take on a horse that is not 100% sound.

Rain scald is actually contagious and you won't be able to do anything about it unless he is 100% in your care. Dodge came here with it from the riding school and the horse Ben I was riding really suffered from it in his saddle area. He was better when I rode him once a week as I tended to him but it is their management that was lacking and why he gets it. If he was here he would not have been getting a saddle on.

They get it from being warm and wet.

Use a medicated shampoo, normal shampoo if you don't have it and I use my fingernails to remove any lumps. Go easy, don't hurt him it depends on how bad and how sore.

Use his own grooming gear and tack.

When you use a sweat scraper you do not use the rubber side on sides and rump. Turn it around the other way. Using the rubber you only remove the water. You want to remove the sweat. The rubber is used over bony bits like the legs. Allow to dry before putting a rug on

It is the allowing to dry before putting a rug on that is the crux at a riding school, they don't have time and I have no idea about managing a horse in snow as I am in Australia.

It would have taken a year for Dodge to get over it. In Summer you can still see some scars from it.

When Dodge came he really looked like a war horse. I lovingly and sadly brushed permoxin all over every mm of him. We have to do that on the horses here as we have so many insects that horses that have never itched before will come here and itch.

I pretended that it was magic and would heal where it touched. Now a couple if years later he is quite a good looking horse when you take his rug off and it is Summer at the moment.

Thrush is also a horse management problem and in all my years I have never seen it. Touchwood. Maybe because we are in a hot country. It is more a problem with stabled horses maybe. And I have lived and worked around horses since before I could walk.

So it is up to you to see if a horse in their care has both rain scald and thrush and how much of a red flag that is. Even Faye in her barn that we all said she should move on never mentioned thrush.

Comment

• Thrush is common in some areas. I see it on occasionally, but treat it and it's gone. If you stall a horse, they can step on poop, and they can get thrush. Not necessarily a red flag. When any of my horses have had any type of skin issues like rain rot, I use Equiderma, and it clears right up.

ridernc, if I get selected for the makeover, I'll be sure to fill in lot of "middle"! Maybe I'll do a blog of my experiences.

Still waiting on one thing on the new boy before it's 100 done deal. So I'll post more when I know for sure. I don't anticipate a problem, but prefer to wait just in case.

The vetting process for the Makeover is more extensive than I thought it was. I had to send my trainers' referral information, I had to get a letter from my vet saying I could properly care for an OTTB, and I had to submit videos of me riding. Of course, doing it last minute, I could only find a few videos of me jumping Katie and riding Tay flat. Hope that's enough. Then we had to list our accomplishments in our discipline. I don't have a lot lately, but had some nice championship/reserve championship ribbons back in the day in the Modified Jumpers and Schooling Jumpers on the B-Circuit when I lived in MI. But that was a while ago! Hopefully I'll pass. I do think adopting from the "Center" will help, as they want you to promote the breed. Plus my next horse is a "Center" horse. Also DH being on the advisory board might be good. And I've been a member of RRP for about 4 years I think. So fingers crossed. Think good thoughts for me!

Comment

• Good luck PF

If not selected you will just have to go out and win so as you can do it next time.

Comment

• Who knows, this may be my last young OTTB, so I hope I can do it this year. But I will do the TIP show as well, so that'll still be fun in KY.

Comment

• Lucky: Thank you! I am definitely wary of all things horses, whether for safety or money, etc. I hope that my eagerness isn't coming across as impatience. I just love riding and want to do it more!

Suzie: All good points. I am by no means an expert on horse care, but from what I have seen generally, I don't have suspicions about the horses being treated poorly. I recently relocated to North Carolina, so I'm not very familiar with this hot and wet type of weather and horses. For example, about two weeks ago, it was raining for about 6 days and 65-70F. From what I have gathered online and from folks around the barn, thrush and rain rot are fairly common in this climate, especially with pasture board, and consistent treatment is being given to horses who affected, which happens to be some more than others.

For this particular horse, he is out in the pasture 24/7, so he's always out there in the rain and mud. I've never had to tack him up when he was wet, but I can't speak for what others have done throughout the week. He can't do stall boarding because of his shivers, which causes him to fall occasionally while he's sleeping and having a huge 17hh+ WB fall in a small stall is dangerous (and terrifying). That is what was shared with me anyway, and it seemed logical enough, but if any of this seems unusual, please tell me. This is definitely a good point about being aware of all the horses around me though - thank you! Also, I did not know it was contagious, so good thing I did not use any of my own brushes on him. I will keep that in mind for next time.

PF: Please do! With pictures and video, if you can! I would love to read it.

Comment

• Just saw Bitsa and Scopey Hopey in the Kirsten Coe clinic article Excited by association.

Comment

• Rider it is correct that if you have a horse that might fall you do not put it in a stall. Also be careful leading, grooming and tacking in case they fall. Wear a helmet.

I had to look up Shivers. You learn so much on these forums which is why I love them. You have a lot of conditions and illnesses over there that we do not have here.

It said that there is no treatment but you can feed vitamin e and selenium.

It also went on to say that it get worse to the point of euthanasia as there quality of life is compromised.

It is such a shame.

If he has training that can help you now, then lease him asap. They are such precious creatures and we have to love every second we have with them as they go way too soon.

Comment

• Wow Bitsa!!! Congrats!! Lucky, do you have a link so i can read up?

PF: Jingles for you to get selected!

RiderNC: Best of luck to you, hopefully you can get more saddle time one way or the other

Suzie: Agree that we need to savor every moment we have with all our animals.

Mr. Wonderful passed away. He had that nose polyp thing and i think his QOL was bad due to constantly needed to be scope and getting infections. We are very sad. That boy was my first glimpse into difficult horses. He made me realized that horses can be worried about traffic (and now I am too!)

RIP Mr. Wonderful

Riding wise- i am learning how to deal with the longer than i like spot. I know she likes the long spot, so i should be able to anticipate right? NO. my brain temporary goes numb and i forget. Arghhhh

Comment

• RIP Mr. Wonderful. That is very sad. Hugs. Even difficult horses have loveable parts.

Comment

• Suzie - So glad you are getting some rain! I can't imagine what a relief it is for you.

Rider - I know some horses that are just more prone to getting thrush, esp. in climates like you're describing. My own horse gets thrush from time to time, but I don't think it's ever impacted him to the point of lameness. At any rate, you have every right to take your time and make the decision that's right for you. In a lease situation, just make sure there is a clause in the contract that gives you an "out" if the horse is unusable for any extended period of time (e.g., more than 2 weeks), or at least a reduced rate for the period of time the horse is unusable.

PF - Fingers crossed for the makeover! I didn't know much about it before, so it's exciting to follow your journey.

Faye - So sorry about Mr. Wonderful! Sending you hugs.

Lucky - When's your next ride?

~~~

We had a break in the rain long enough that I was finally able to ride outside again! I got to pop over a few small crossrails on Saturday. On Sunday I had a dressage lesson in our outdoor court. I was getting stir-crazy in the indoor, which isn't really big enough to do serious lateral work, so it was great. I managed to end my ride with a really solid canter down the centerline with a halt at I. Not having practiced those in ages, I was really pleased.

Here's the biggest news of the weekend. On Sunday one of the pony-kids at the barn decided to buy new halters and lead ropes for a few of the horses. So cute, right? My horse (a chestnut) ended up with a neon orange nylon halter. He looks like a traffic cone, but the whole thing is so adorable. The other halter was turquoise and ended up going to a palomino, and the color combination actually looks pretty good!

Comment

Working...
                                          X