Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuzieQNutter View Post
    I also think when it is your time to go it doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing.

You could be sitting on the couch at home or you could be sitting on a horse. You decide which one you want to be on.
    Could be, bit you don't have to invite it.
    My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Mustang - I've just been doing one lesson per week, and then ride about 4 times on my own. I may be doing a clinic near you (Jeremy Steinberg), will PM you if I sign up!

Pompeiii - Lol yeah I do lower level dressage, which even to many horse enthusiasts isn't that interesting much less my DH. I took him to watch grand prix show jumping once which he enjoyed a lot more, and said why don't I do that, and if he was riding that's what he would do

I ride in the morning before work and am usually alone, as in I'm the only one in the arena. Our BM lives on site and there are staff on the property. Usually the next boarders show up when I'm untacking. I generally don't trail ride alone, though I have done a few short rides.
      http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post

Could be, bit you don't have to invite it.
        Exactly and my favourite new saying is, always think how you can do something safer.
        It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• I agree, there are risks riding alone. But, there are risks when you ride in the arena when people are in the barn. So, I have to think, is riding solo any different? I'm not sure. At least if I ride solo (right now, I will ONLY ride solo if my husband is home and he is checking in on me (so, again, I'm calling when I get on and then if he doesn't hear from me 20 minutes later, he calls and if I don't pick up, he drives the 5 minutes to barn), I have someone actively checking on me vs people in the barn who may or may not know I'm riding. I won't haul out to ride (doesn't matter what horse) without letting someone know that I'm riding. I feel safer knowing that I have the fall detection from apple watch as well and always ride with my cell phone (solo or not just in case of an emergency).

But, I will say, I take less risks if I ride solo. So, with young horse, we walk until we are 100% calm and quiet. Then we trot. Only if we are 100% calm will I consider cantering. Otherwise, I'll stick to the trot. Granted, right now, I can't keep the canter with this horse as he's too quiet after trotting too long, but, different problems...

But it's an interesting discussion.

As for lunging, it's an option. I don't love it, but it's an option. But, if I'm solo and my horse isn't quiet? I will definitely lunge and possibly only lunge.

Comment

• LOL Pompeii. If you don't love lunging you have not been taught correctly. It is as interesting as riding and you can give a horse a full workout. 10 minutes is equal to an hour of lunging so I don't lunge for long. You don't need to lunge for long when experienced. Maybe look into lunging lessons. It is more work for the rider so is not loved for that reason.

​​​​​Lunging will definitely help his canter and is actually why I have hubby lunging Sim at the moment. He just needed a little more strength to control himself in canter. Sim cut the nerve in one leg. I don't know if it has grown back yet, but I prefer him to have the strength he needs to place his feet correctly in canter with hubby on him.

There was a thread on COTH about apple watches activating when there was no fall. I don't know if apple has fixed this or not.

Comment

• PF- what's Road ID?

I've never ridden alone- I don't trust myself that much And yes, of my three falls with Fab, two were at the walk- one spin and one trip. My fall off Pony was either at the trot or canter. Can't remember exactly- we were both quite stunned when I hit the ground- actually Pony was mortified.

I saw where one of my favorites retired today- Verdades. Loved watching him and Laura together. Her position is one I study a lot.

Comment

• SuzieQNutter - Part of my dislike towards lunging has nothing to do with not being trained properly. My fabulous trainer friend (who moved away on me) instilled her fabulous lunging skills which I utilized a lot with my retired gelding. She made sure I was trained properly (I wasn't before and my retired guy was difficult on the line -- he's not now thanks to her work with both of us). I do have issues though with migraines and motion and for some reason, lunging does set it me off. So, my dislike of it has a lot to do with me feeling sick (no matter what I do even when under the direction of a skilled pro). I limit stuff that makes me feel miserable even if it might help my horse. I might introduce it more when I can lunge at home, but I can't until summer when the ground is better.

Yes, I know that there are issues with the apple watch. But, I'd rather have the option to cancel the alert vs not alerting. But, calling husband method works pretty well too. This wouldn't work work though if we lived further than a mile from the barn. BO lives on site.

Training Cupid - I have less than 10 rides on my guy. We're super boring right now! We walk, we trot, and maybe canter some sides or once around.

Comment

• Ugh Pompeii, with hubby suffering from vertigo not long ago I really feel for you. Being dizzy is not fun.

Comment

• TC, yes, I gotcha. I really liked your trainer. From what little I saw of her, so I think you're in good hands. It is nice to have someone who can help you with many facets of riding. A bonus, for sure!

lucky, RoadID is an ap that I have on my phone (still learning to use it). I can set up a number (my DH) that when I get on a horse I can notice him. And if for some reason I don't move for so many minutes, it will alert him. Also it sends a message when I'm done. I think if you don't move for five minutes, it also beeps at you just in case you forgot to turn it off. I'll have to report back when I actually use it the first time. I think it's maybe created for runners? Any of you runners familiar?

Well, the vet came back yesterday to give me different antibiotics for Tay. She thinks there is still some infection going on, which is causing the heat. The swelling is down, but I've been keeping him wrapped when he is in his stall, and open when he is turned out. Cross your fingers. She also gave him an IV shot of an antibiotic. I hope this kicks it to the curb. I want to ride. I say that, but rains are coming in today and will be pretty bad for a few days. I will have to hand-walk the boy in the barn to keep him moving a bit. Helps the swelling.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Comment

• Pompeiii, I'm with you. I know how to property lunge, and I do it on occasions, but I don't like it. Makes me dizzy as well. So I do agree, you can be educated in lunging, and still not like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
                        Pompeiii, I'm with you. I know how to property lunge, and I do it on occasions, but I don't like it. Makes me dizzy as well. So I do agree, you can be educated in lunging, and still not like it.
                        LOL when I started Rock and roll dancing (Rockabilly) They were amazed that I could spin and spin on the spot and not get dizzy.

PF and Pompeii. just asking. Do you also suffer from motion sickness in a car if reading and do you suffer from sea sickness?

I can read or whatever in a car and I do not suffer. Mum said as a kid on a ferry the horizon was going up and down, everyone was seasick except me -sitting in my high chair grinning at everyone while I was eating. Annoying little #####

Hubby is lunging Sim at the moment because I have said he has to. I will ask him if he actually likes lunging. He has been taught by me.

Comment

• I don't suffer from any type of motion sickness. I used to be a figure skater, and spins didn't bother me. Spinning amusement park rides don't bother me. Just lunging. I think it's just visual. I can read in the car no problem. Practically lived on boats in the summertime as well. Honestly, if I didn't get dizzy lunging, I still wouldn't enjoy it. It's just not my thing. Same with long lining. I can do it. I realize the benefits, but I just don't enjoy it.

Comment

• PF- forgive me if this is an ignorant question: if there's infection, does wrapping not "hold the infection in"? I know nothing about wound care for horses, and some about wound care for people. Road ID sounds neat.

I'm somewhat motion sensitive and lunging bothers me at times, if I forget to ground myself. I knew how to "hunter lunge" before coming to Fab and she taught me the moving around kind which I really like. It helps that Pony is great on the lunge and I can count on one hand the times she's been "not fine" about it

In keeping with my riding goals, I want to be vulnerable and share the pic Fab took of Pony and I during our lesson. I realized looking at it, the pic is actually helping with 3 of my goals.

Comment

• Lucky - Love the photo! You look so happy.

TC - Yes, let me know if you're in the area for a clinic!

Comment

• Lucky, from what I understand, it is maybe between skin layers? It is not an open sore infected wound. The wrapping just keeps the swelling down. So I don't think we are trapping anything.

Love the pic!!

Comment

• Not gonna lie, i don't like lunging. I don't get dizzy, no motion sickness, i just don't like it. I'll do it if i have to, but i rather not.

Re: Riding alone, yes, you can die (higher chance too) driving, biking, doing other adventurous stuff, or sitting on a couch, but like Suzie said, can you make it safer? Yes of course. Being in the neurology field, every second counts. If you fell and needed immediate attention and someone is around, that can be life saving. But i totally get it that not everyone can ride when someone is actively watching, and it's a risk we all do to participate in this sport! Anything will help, alerting folks you are riding, where you are going, Road ID, apple watch app.

Lucky: Loving your first goal crushing photo! That smile!! you need to post more often and I challenge you to post more often!

PF: Heaps of jingles for Tay! I am hoping the IV can get it into the system quick for him!

Cupid: We have the exact same butterfly jump at our barn! Same color and stuff!!

Fantastic ride on the baby on thurs! She was a lot more chill, and only spooked a little once after the jump. We kept the jumps super low (i love it), and did a cavaletti one stride to vertical, one stride to caveletti exercise (something i've always dread), and then did a little course that incorporated this exercise in the middle. I am learning to relax a little more, less of being discombutulated and throw away my reins, keeping weight on my heels on landing and NO PULLING over fence. Finally i'm able to process these!

Have i mention how happy this barn makes me?

Comment

• Thanks, all, for the kind comments. I've never loved pictures of myself, so these goals are hard. As for my smile, well, I get it from my Mom and that picture encapsulates how I feel about Fab and Pony!

Faye- I look forward to your lesson reports, they challenge me to keep up with the bravery as well. I just love your attitude and grit. I'm working on learning to roll with it when I ride. I will try and post more selfie pics with Pony if I can get us both in. Haven't yet mastered the angles so as we don't look like giant closeup disasters. One of my friends did the same thing on FB and it helped her as well.

Got an unexpected surprise of having Sunday off- so riding I will go I'm going to try trotting sans stirrups.

And sorrynotsorry to any Ravens fans... my Titans will win tomorrow night.

Comment

• Yes Faye your happiness now radiates in all your posts and makes me smile, instead of shaking my head at the red flags we posted about in your last barn.
                                      ​​​​​​
                                      The same with you Lucky, you are so happy with both Pony and Fab that I would love to visit. I hope PF gets there with Tay.

LOL PF it has always been said that if we had put the same motivation, time and money into figure skating instead of horses, we would be at the Olympics by now, as you don't have to worry about another being being sound.

Well it must be 3 weeks since hubby came off Sim. I rode Sim for the first week re-establishing forward and canter transitions. I then lunged him on Sim. I then stood in the middle with the lunge whip and had control of Sim. The last few days I have stayed inside as he needs to do this without me controlling Sim.

I have not worked Stars the last couple of days as I am in the middle of doing Tax. ARGH. I have taken a break but will have to get back to it. SIGH.

Hubby came in raving. Sim was perfect. He doesn't even know where the other horse has gone.

Have you ever ridden a horse that instead of going like this? He dug me in the ribs he goes from this and he only touched me on the side.

I didn't answer as I didn't want to take away his light bulb moment!!!

So I might be nice and let him enjoy that for a week before giving him the lesson of now you don't use legs for forward any more, seat for forward only, legs for sideways!!!!

I asked him what he thought about lunging?

He said good and it is beneficial.

I asked, but do you actually like lunging.

Yes why?

Some of the reriders say they get dizzy lunging, so they don't like it.

He said he does not get dizzy.

I asked if he suffered from car sickness.
                                      He said he does if he reads.

I said but you don't suffer from seasickness as you used to have a boat.

He said he does suffer from seasickness, he took tablets before he went.

So for lunging and not feeling dizzy all I can say is look at a point on the horse so you don't see the background moving.

Also don't stand in the middle and spin. Walk a small circle instead.

Both things will not help you like lunging.

What probably will is seeing the horse going better, stepping through from behind, poll the highest and giving to the inside rein. That always makes me smile and my horses know the words lovely and beautiful when they achieve that.

Comment

• Dewey - I hope Lulu is on the mend! My little Max used to “throw his back out” from time to time. Hazard of a little dog wanting to be on the tall bed - more with getting down from the bed. A day of muscle relaxers and a couple days of Rimadyl and he was usually in good shape. But trying to keep him off the bed was next to impossible!

Pompeii - welcome back! Sorry for your loss. I’m sure adventures await with your newest addition. Let us know!

Miss Crawford -​​​​​​​ welcome to this group! I ride with my (now adult) daughter. I’m a horse show Mom as well, Love the time we spend together.

PF - Ugh! Hope this round of antibiotics takes care of everything. Poor Tay

MT - hope you’re feeling better! I know I assume that riding will get the adrenaline going and pump me up when I’m under the weather. I picked up a nasty virus while traveling in Oct. that really knocked the stuffing out of me. I think I barely walked and trotted for two weeks! Cantering brought on coughing spasms so that was no fun! Finally ran its course, but really cut into my riding.

i am so over the wind! Yesterday and today it was pretty steady with some strong gusts. G is handling it well and I’m trying to also. Yesterday while we were riding there were several groups exercising their horses on the greenway by the ring. No problem, I’m getting used to the activity. All of a sudden I hear DD telling me to join her in the far corner, there were two people galloping, truly galloping, along the open space! Can’t imagine why the riders thought it was a good idea under the conditions but....fortunately G and Penny just watched from the corner, as if to say “that looks like way too much work!” Had my second lesson (wind and all!) since getting here last Sat. and I’m back at it, cantering poles! Working on riding more from my leg, less from my hand - goals!

Comment

• Lost- great work in challenging conditions! It's super windy here today and I hope it's gone before tomorrow. I don't do wind, too many things to rattle and my nerves don't need any help with that thank you. I've never been comfortable cantering poles. I never see the distance and end up having jumping flashback and pulling to death. I had a trainer that had me try it and I hated it then, too. I didn't trust the horse enough not to step on the poles. She was always fine, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                          X