Sport Horse Spotlight

Carinjo Jumping 1

Real Estate Spotlight

105 DSCN0687

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwpc- what a great step in your riding. Pictures would be appreciated, please One summer I had the opportunity to half-lease the schoolie I was in love with. Sunny and I had many adventures and I got much more confident. He was the most "square" horse, hard-won flexibility, but could jump anything you pointed him at. What a pretty Strawberry Roan- wish I had a picture to share.

PF- jingles for Tay! He's beyond due for a break. And yes, I do think the color coordination had something to do with me feeling so sassy and confident yesterday Oh, btw, Fab is thinking of putting on some shows this spring/summer instead of the Big Show in M'boro. I can keep you updated, as we usually have decent open classes and I'm sure she could add Suitability for Dressage or whatever you would need, if you wanted to bring Tay.

Comment

• Congrats, dwpc!! Post a pic when you can.
      My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Hi everyone. Sorry I have been MIA. I've been busy with family and travel--DH and I accompanied our college church group to a big annual denominational conference, and we just got back a couple of days ago. I'm still putting Christmas decorations away, and now it's time to get ready for the spring semester.

I have not ridden much over the entire break. We had really bad weather--pretty constant rain. Wish I could send it to southeastern Australia, Suzie. The news and pictures from there are terrifying. I went down to ride yesterday, and no one was around. I waited around, groomed Sky, tried the new Baker halter she won in our local circuit on her, filled her water bucket, fed the cats, and found a few other odd and ends to do, but no one came, and I couldn't wait around any more, so I went home. Maybe I will have better luck today. I will go a bit earlier. Mid day seems to be quiet time at the barn. I need to get us back in shape--we have a show coming up at the end of January. Speaking of getting back in shape, Lucky--I also begin my rides with a couple of laps with no stirrups. Maybe that would be something you could try--start by walking and work yourself up to a bit of trot, etc., Love your goals, by the way! A bit of a challenge but very healthy and positive.

Greys, good luck finding Sandro a great home. He's such a lovely horse--I'm sure it will happen soon. Someone in our barn is looking. Do you have a link to an ad I could send their way? The rider is young, about 13, and is sprouting up rapidly. She's going to be tall. She just spent a year on a lovely old campaigner they leased doing the 2'6"--she's ready to move up, and they are having trouble finding something. They do a few A shows every year. It might not be possible budget-wise, but on the other hand, it might be perfect. PM me if you want.

We had a scare with Lulu. On Christmas Day, she suddenly lost control of her hind end. She could barely stand up and could not control her bladder. The vet was closed, so we couldn't do anything until the next day. She was worse--could not stand up at all--but she did not seem to be in much pain. We took her to the vet, who after examining her said it seemed to be a slipped disc, very common in dogs with her build (short legs and long back). Surgery was prohibitive, and he did not recommend it anyway. We opted to leave her there for treatment and observation. They gave her anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. (Her skin had gotten bad again, so the treatment served two purposes.) After 12 days at the vet (we ended up boarding her there while we were away at the conference, which we would have done anyway), she is considerably better. She can walk and run a little, can pee and poop by herself, and is less itchy. She is a little wobbly behind, but we can deal with that. She was so glad to see us again and to be at home. She even tried to chase the cats, which she had not done for some time!

I'm attaching two pics, one of Sky in her new halter and the other of Lulu napping this morning. You can see she's wearing a sweater and is covered with a towel. She enjoys being warm.
        Attached Files
        I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• lucky, thank you so much for thinking of me with regards to the show. Keep me posted. I am not sure Tay will ever be good at the classes where he's with other horses. After my flat-class fiasco at MTSU, I talked to my trainer. He did say that's really not his thing, and if I do hunters, to use a pelham, not a snaffle. So we may concentrate on dressage and jumpers. Funny, because he's fine at home with Jazzy in the ring, but I guess home is always different. I can't recall, do you guys have an indoor? Does Fab allow trailer-ins (for a fee)? I'm thinking just to school. I"d love to get him out and off home turf some time.

Comment

• Dewey, I hope you get some time to just relax! Sky looks lovely in her halter. That's really cute. And AWWW on Lulu. I'm glad she's feeling better. And I'm so happy she is with you and is being taken care of. She's a lucky pup. Her picture is adorable!!!

Comment

• Cupid: How was your lesson? Bet you guys had fun! Dressage or jumping?

PF: Poor Tay, i hope you have some good news from the vet. Jingles for you all!

Lucky: I have knots before my lessons as well! Sometimes it depends on who I'm riding since now i'm back to riding schoolies. Also depends on who my group lesson is with, i'm sort of in the middle, so when i ride with the less experienced, the fences are lower and less complicated courses, that totally helps!

Lost: I absolutely hate the wind. Last week i was riding in loud a$$ wind/rain and I was spooking myself the whole time.

Greys: I'm glad that you identified grass turnout is the best solution for Sandro, even if this trial didn't work out, you know thats what he needs. He will land in a good home for sure. Seems like you are having fun doing eq (back at it!!!), you are one of the most elegant riders so i look forward to seeing more videos on your eq classes!!

DWPC: Exciting indeed!!! Saddle time is so important if you have been out of saddle for awhile! When I first started riding (I am not a re-rider, but adult beginner!), i leased school horses and it was the best decision for me! One of them I've leased for 2 years and is my forever heart horse. (Toff) So excited to hear stories from your new horse!

Dewey: Ah, christmas tree and decor is still up in my house! Spent so much time putting them up, might as well enjoy them for a little longer!! I am so sorry about Lulu, but glad that he's doing better!! I swear, pets always come up with issues on weekends, holidays. Jingles to him!

Suzie: I saw a ton of videos of Australia from social media and i am terrified to watch. The poor animals. Sending heaps of jingles your way for rain.

My travel for the next 2 months is very stressful, but i am fitting in my lessons when i'm home. I had a fantastic lesson yesterday doing some cross rails and low verticals, focusing on when to sit "heavier" and lighten up, and also, don't pull over fence! It was a great lesson.

Comment

• Faye - I ended up only getting half a lesson because my shoer came out to do Cupid's feet so we started quite late. But it was good having someone keeping my accountable - apparently my newest bad habit is raising my left shoulder. I'm getting ready for a dressage show later this month so that's what we worked on. I haven't had a jumping lesson in at least 6 months since we've been making such good progress on our dressage I've just been too excited to keep working on that! (I prefer jumping by myself so I can pick and choose what I want to do! Last week I was feeling brave so we jumped those butterflies in my pic, and a little coop. But I probably would not want to if someone told me to do it!))
                http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• TC, do you have the same trainer for dressage and jumping?

Comment

• I am so happy to find this thread! I have lurked here for YEARS under a different name (since 2001!), but since I am finally officially now a re-rider I decided to join again under a new name. I've been faffing about on lesson horses during my daughters lessons, but I had my first lesson in 10+ years with a hunter/jumper trainer last week and am so excited! What was no so exciting: Putting on breeches again.

Comment

• Awwwwww poor Ty and Lulu.

LOL MC. Do you know any of us, or are we all new since you were here last?

Dewey I have been letting hubby go up and do Sim by himself, he needs to be able to handle him without me there.

He pointed out that if he came off he would lie there for an hour before I found him.

I pointed out that as he was going to visit his father that night after work and would be going to work before coming home I would be lying there for way over 24 hours before he finds me.
                      I do not think he will come off as he has learned that Sim has to be be forward and how to do that and me being there and telling him that he can't do what he was trying to do and he went and did it anyway and came off, so me being there didn't stop him coming off anyway.
                      It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Paradox - yes same trainer, the one you met at the TB Makeover! She is primarily an eventer but does/has done a bit of everything so it's a good fit for me because I like to try different things. Her mare (an irish sporthorse) is going prelim eventing and 3rd level dressage, and has shown the 1.1 jumpers and done a hunter derby! She also did an endurance race on one of her previous event horses.
                        http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Good point, Suzie. However, our barn rules don't allow riding unless someone else is present. A few years ago, another adult border had a terrible accident while alone. She was grazing her horse or something (no one actually knew what happened as she was alone when it happened--she was not mounted though), and her horse apparently spooked and barged into her, resulting in a very serious head injury. She was knocked out and was not found until her fiance came to the barn looking for her. She was very seriously injured and had to be airlifted off the property; it took several months before she recovered fully. She never was able to remember exactly what happened. Ever since then I have been extra careful when I arrive at the barn when no one is there, and I never ride when alone.
                          I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Dewey- thanks for the no-stirrups tip. I'm easing into it by doing all my walk warm up without stirrups and depending on how Pony goes, I may add trotting as well. First few laps she's not as forward anyway, less chance of hitting dirt/sand. That's so scary about Lulu- I'm so glad she's on the mend. My dog Lucky had a slipped disc last year and now we have her on a joint supplement all the time. She loves it.

PF- I will certainly ask Fab. We have a covered arena- down a slope and enclosed on three sides. I would highly recommend "earbuds"- aka earplugs, as there are ponies turned out all around the outside of the arena. I would love to share my happy place with you and Tay. I'll email you Fab's info.

Comment

• Lucky - I *love* your goals for 2020. I fully believe you can accomplish them.

Lost - Bee is so cute! Hope Remy feels better soon.

EqJ - Congrats on Fiona!

TC - Sorry your lesson got cut short, that's a bummer! How often do you ride w/ your trainer? What show are you planning to go to? Any plans to come to the winter dressage series at Rancho Murieta?

Greys - Losing fitness happens *so* fast! I took a 2 week vacation to Mexico in late 2019 and was shocked how sore I was the first time I went back to the gym after. I also felt pretty winded on my first ride back. Hope you have fun at Thermal and in Florida!

Suzie - Glad the air quality is better these days. The photos/videos I've seen in the past few weeks coming out of Australia have been really awful. Of course I'm in California so I can relate - luckily our fire season this year wasn't awful.

Dewey - Glad Lulu is doing better. I can't imagine how scary that must have been!

~~

I started 2020 off with the flu, which was unpleasant but gave me a good chance to catch up on tv. During my lesson last week I was so sick my trainer had to help tack up my horse, and I had a walk/trot lesson which was mostly at the walk, if I'm being honest. My horse didn't seem to mind . I was finally feeling a little better this past weekend and got to pop over a course of crossrails which was so much fun. I think I'm battling a sinus infection or something now, but it's much improved from last week! That will teach me to skip out on the flu shot in the future...

Comment

• Dewey: Call me chicken, but i absolutely do not like to ride alone, rewind to when i first started riding, taking Katie alone on trail and canter around *face palm*, my old barn has a ton of horses and riders, so never an issue. Current barn can be more quiet but i never have to ride alone. You just never know.

EQJ: Totally forgot to congrat you about Fiona!!!

MT: I have to admit, sometimes riding a course of crossrail can be so fun! Take out the hairy jumps (height, technicality) and just have fun!

Jamming my lessons in before my trips- today's lesson was not so pretty. Baby mare was sassy and refuse to turn. bolt after landing each jump and turn the opposite direction of where I wanted her. Luckily she is tiny and I can muscle her around a bit, but i can't say I am that brave. We ended up on a good note after trainer hop on and school the crap out of her. She's much braver and i can see how much she was being a pickle. I felt like my jumping position is getting way better and i'm having a much better understanding about distances. This mare is trying to figure things out and i know she will take a long spot, so with that in mind, i am less left behind. Learning so much.

Comment

• Popping into this thread after not participating in...years. I think when I last posted in this thread, I was having issues with my gelding who has now been retired for 3-4 years. Anyway, since then, I've become a lesson rider again and much more confident and in November, I lost my other gelding (my steady, eddy bombproof trail horse) to a horrific colic -- I'm still recovering. With the gelding I lost, I never worried about riding solo because, while horses are horses, he was one who I could get on after 6 months off, and he was the same horse. I took him out on trails alone and my biggest fear was getting lost, not having issues.

Anyway, I adopted a green OTTB in December (my retired senior wasn't coping well and I almost lost him to grief) and now I find myself in a different situation. My new guy is a good egg, but... it's not the same--obviously! We haul out for every ride and lesson and he's better each time (I have to carry him back to the trailer because he gets tired and relaxed very easily and endurance isn't his friend yet).

That said, in the beginning, I did take my husband out every ride (or, I'd be in a lesson). That said, to him, it's like watching paint dry. Finally, last weekend, I went out solo to find an almost empty barn (though I think someone was inside for all but 10 minutes of my ride). I call when I get on, call when I get off, and he's 5 minutes away if he doesn't hear from me after a certain number of minutes (my rides are currently 20-25 minutes). I'm not sure if this is safe, but... I also wear an apple watch with fall detection (I bought this for solo trail rides). He will keep coming out if I ask, but, at the same time, I know that this will limit the amount I ride which will also make my rides less safe in a sense.

How do people ride regularly if they don't have anyone around consistently? Especially hauling out for every ride (I have no place to ride at home right now). I'm taking a lesson this weekend so that ride is covered, but... It's really challenging! Thankfully he's quiet and a good egg, but it's so hard being a working adult!

Comment

• Having

Comment

• Having someone else around is a good policy, but not if they are expecting boarders to cover that. I would expect staff members to be around if that rule was in place.

I guess I have always ridden alone. Mum was always home as she ran a business from home. We put in a dressage arena and we had a show jump paddock.

I grew up on Pepper's back. I would take him out for hours including gallop around the Daisy Hill State Forest. It was a trek to get to there. Nowadays, no horses allowed on the way we used to get there and not allowed in the forest.

The twice I have landed in Hospital (touchwood) I was walking on a loose rein. Not galloping. Not jumping not cross countrying.

The first time as a kid I slipped off bareback when the pony turned the opposite way to the way I asked I put my arm out and broke both bones in my wrist. A common injury for young girls learning to ride apparently. GET BACK ON then Mum saw my hand and I was taken over the road to the Hospital.

The second was because of being a beginner and not knowing about contact and collection. Pepper had a soft mouth, why would you want to pick up the reins?

Because, all that time I was riding him on the forehand. He had a 6 foot long, carpet snake neck! All those years with his weight and mine on his front legs.

I was at Ponyclub.

He stumbled, went down, came up for less than a second and fell sideways

My helmet hit the ground first and he ploughed me 6 foot across the ground. I was knocked unconscious. I dont remember anything from hours before or after.

Mum, matron in a Hospital in her earlier days, kicked me and told me to get up. I did ride but when I couldn't remember the showjumping course, that I helped put up the day before, had already walked and they were saying there is 1, there is 2, they wouldn't let me ride.

I threw a tantrum!!!!

The only thing I do remember is Mum locking me in the car I was so bad. I was 15yo. I was able to think
                                      I know how to get out of here.

Someone else rode Pepper home. I was taken to Hospital and spent the night as I was still not right on the way home and I spent the next day calling people to thank them for their help and to apologise for my behaviour.

Pompeii I am now classically trained for dressage. I have worked with horses. I would put me in the experienced category after a lifetime with horses.

I am aware that it is the experienced sailor who drowns.

I put my riding alone down to 2 things. First of all my horses are not hyped up on grain. Fat yes. But sane.

Second of all I know how to lunge correctly. Which does not take long. Lunging is just as fascinating as riding. I can work a horse on the lunge, so in Dewey's case I would lunge. If someone arrives I just take off the side reins and cavesson. Unwrap the reins and put them over the head and I am already wearing gloves and a helmet to hop on and ride. If no one appears the horse will have been worked anyway.

Also with an experienced eye, I can tell if it is not a good idea to get on. Nowadays only with bringing them back into work. Once in work they are pretty good.

When Sim first came he had to be lunged to be ridden and if he had a day off, you lunged without riding. Nowadays he does not need to be lunged, but hubby is lunging him before riding, as Sim has had time off and it benefits Sim with correct muscle being used and developed, as hubby is not up to that level riding wise yet, but can lunge him at a higher level.

it also gets Sim more forward as Hubby does not have that down pat yet.

I am lunging Stars as he is being brought back into work and he is cold backed.

We also have the plastic cages on the stirrups that prevent your foot going through to be dragged.

I lunge with solid side reins. Controversial I know but elastic side reins teach horses to lean and pull. Battery is failing so I will end here. I can explain that further if you want.

Comment

• Welcome back, Pompeii! Sorry about your loss.

I wanted to pipe in about riding alone. I know I mentioned this when it happened, but a riding acquaintance that used to come here to ride on occasion had a few horses. She was a very intelligent scientist who worked at Vanderbilt. But she would ride alone. Well, one day the barn owner found her horse in the barn area. When they found the rider, she was dead. Not sure what happened. She was wearing a helmet. Every since then, I've been really reluctant to ride alone. She was a good rider. Accidents happen. That scares me.

So, you all, if you ride alone, I suggest you at least tell someone where you are and when you'll be done, and then you check in with them when you are off your horse. I am started to try to use Road ID for this purpose. I'll let you know how it works. I want to test it while my DH is home.

Comment

• I also think when it is your time to go it doesn't matter where you are or what you are doing.

You could be sitting on the couch at home or you could be sitting on a horse. You decide which one you want to be on.

Comment

Working...
                                          X