Sport Horse Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

Driveway

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys - just popping in to ask for some jingles for the Cash man. Was getting ready to leave the barn last night, put my mare away and peeked over into Cash's stall and noticed him standing in the corner not eating his dinner. I opened his stall and he was choking - fortunately our vet happened to be at the barn (when does it ever work out like that?!?) and was able to tube him and clear the blockage. Given his age, I'm concerned about pneumonia and would love some good vibes sent our way!

Comment

• Originally posted by luckymaverick View Post
      PF- that's so exciting! Did you get any pics of Tay or Jazzy at the show?
      Ha, only one blurry pic of them in their stalls. No pics. Bummer.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20191116_180740.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	10520718

Pathetic photography, huh?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191116_180752.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	10520719

Comment

• Sugar, many jingles coming your and Cash's way. What a great coincidence the vet was there. Does Cash seem to be feeling better yet? Chico had had choke twice with me. It was hay cubes once and alfalfa pellets the next, so now he gets neither, soaked or not. But Cashman will heal! Jingling away to speed the recovery. Hugs to you.

Comment

• Sugar- big hugs and jingles for you and Cash-man!!

PF- I enjoy and and all horsey pics. I've shot many pics through bars

Comment

• Hey all! Life has pretty much been crazy for me but I’ve been following along when I can. To catch up a bit:

Greys - So glad your show experience ended positively but I do feel for you and what to do about Sandro. Personally, I think ulcers in horses are pretty tricky, and I’m not sure you can ever really “cure” an ulcer prone horse. It’s just another thing you manage. I know you’ll explore all options for him and consult with all the knowledgeable people in your corner. If only our horses could really let us know what they were thinking...... {{hugs}}

PF - sounds like you and Tay Tay are getting to know and trust each other. You were braver than I would have been at a first show! I’m sorry you got some unexpected news with his medical records but frankly, I’m surprised you were actually able to get the records! The colic surgery itself wouldn’t have stopped me from taking him on in the first place (nor you, I imagine). Now that you have that knowledge, make the adjustments to his care and enjoy him! I know your careful management will keep him happy and healthy.

Sugar - sending good thoughts for Cash! I’ve had a couple horses choke over the years and it it scary! What serendipity that the vet was there! Hoping all is well now!

Dewey - I’m a little late with this but, thank you so very much for your kind post after the passing of my Max. He is indeed in my heart always.

The past couple months have found little time for riding! I got back from Italy in Oct. with a virus that knocked the stuffing out of me. Then I had some travel for a board I sit on. Then the cold weather hit and I’m a cold weather wimp - even in our indoor. Once upon a time I rode through entire PA winters. As long as the temp in the indoor was above 25* F , I was on! Full chaps and all. Now I count down the days until we go to FL! The horses will leave Sat. after Thanksgiving. DD and I will go down for a few days mid-Dec. for a ride or two and to ready the house and then migrate for the season right after New Year’s. So, only a few more rides until I’ll have to ride vicariously with all of you!

Wishing all of you and yours a wonderful, happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

• Catching up a bit here as life has been very crazy full of travel for me !

Greys: So happy that your show season has been so positive! I am sow with you for Sandro, being in california myself, i totally understand that some horses are just not meant to live here. At my old barn, the school horses get to be out in the field, but still, i'm talking about 60+ horses out in a not so big area. Lots of potential for injuries. Trust your instinct as you are always wanting the best for Sandro.

PF - I will be so pissed if they did not disclose the colic surgery, thats very dishonest. It is not something that one can "forgot to tell you", YKWIM? But now you know, and will know to be more mindful of his care to hopefully prevent this from happening. I am glad he's with you!

Sugar - Jingles for the Cash Man!! That is one scary episode and serendipity that you were right there!!

Suzie: How are things over in Auzzie?

Lucky: Elsa is 15.3? She may grow another inch but she's pretty tiny and I enjoy riding smaller horses now!

A lot of travel for me as always in the fall, i have one more longer trip in Dec and I'm done! I am not going back to HK this year because of the chaos there, and more importantly, if i don't have to get on the plane on my days off i would be so happy! That said, i have a work trip coming up that will take me to Denver, so I am planning to see my Toffman! I still think about him every day. Wonder if my life would be different if i bought him instead despite that floating bone chip he had and his lameness. (which apparently he's totally sound!), he is very picky still with who gets near him, and his mom just sent me a video of him ears completely pinned, because, you know, bad mood.

Riding wise, I am taking 2 lessons a week, mostly on the 4 year old, and she is teaching me so much! She is a safe girl, but still have a little bit of baby moments. She is very honest and brave with her jumps (we keep them super low) and yesterday we had the best time doing some pole stride counting exercises.

Feels so good when you make a mistake and does not get humiliated.

Hope you all have a fantastic thanksgiving!!

Comment

• There has still been no rain here, Faye. The worst drought in living history around here.

Hubby has bought a 1000 litre tank and has brought home 2 loads of water so far which cost $5.00. He said it used to contain white oil which is a suppressant for cattle feed. I have googled and googled and I have found nothing. The only white oil that comes up is for killing aphids on roses.

He has put it in the house tank for showers and the toilet and washing machine. I go up to the horse tank and fill a bottle I put in the fridge for drinking. I also have some water bottles bought for work.

Hubby has started drinking it and says it tastes okay. I said it has nothing to do with what it tastes like it is if it kills you. It has been about a week and he isn't sick yet!

He has started riding Sim and Dodge. I started lunging Stars but I stopped with smoke from bushfires hanging around. I lunged him yesterday. He is such a good boy on the lunge.

I have ridden Sim and Dodge a few times. No real pain as only a few minutes. I really haven't ridden for months and haven't been riding at the riding school as I am staying here to feed the horses.

There is no grass and I am boiling barley and feeding a feed about 6 times a day to try and stop them eating the ground. We still have zero grass.
                It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Lost- so good to hear from you. I've missed you.

Faye- I've been following your HK posts, it's unreal what is going on there.

Sugar- still jingling for you and Cash-man.

Had a really good ride today. Did walking no-stirrup work, tried two point, for literally a step. On the whole I was more elongated and stretchy today. I was most proud of Pony during our canter work. Fab was letting us make up our own thing today and Pony decided when I asked for extended trot she could get out of it with cantering.
                  Once I corrected her and asked her quietly, off we went. Super soft, corners and for once I didn't flip out about it. Did both directions. At the end we got some decent forward/somewhat extended trot work.

The pelham really does turn her into a worker bee. She was focused the whole time, so focused she didn't even stop to poop, her usual M.O. with everyone now.

She knew she'd been good- afterwards she wanted all the cuddles. Stood with her head down before we went in so I could get all the spots. Then, when I was putting her on IG, she kept nudging my phone away and nudging my shoulder so I would hurry up and pet her. I swear she's part dog.

Small rant. I found the boots I need on ebay, under Best Offer. Made several offers. Why have a Best Offer option if the price you're willing to take is close to your listed price??

Comment

• Suzie: I'm so sorry!! I'm jingling and will attempt to do the rain dance for you!

Lucky: Yes, its absolutely horrible. I'm not good with politics at all, but what i condemn is the police brutality
                    So happy that pony is listening to you! We also worked on extended trot with the ponies on saturday!

Comment

• Faye- now when I say extended trot, it only really got good at the end. if we practice, short stuff and I can get it pretty decent.

Comment

• Hey there! long time no check in. I wanted to share a fun course with you all. Saturday was our local association's finals show, where I competed in the 3' medal final. Check out the course and my video below. The test was a flat class without stirrups, ouch! We do not find out the results until the banquet next month. I was pretty proud of our course!

https://vimeo.com/375700641
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by luckymaverick View Post
                          Faye- now when I say extended trot, it only really got good at the end. if we practice, short stuff and I can get it pretty decent.
                          Lucky Pony has Arab in her doesn't she? Arabs have a natural extended trot usually.

Comment

• EqJ, what a fun looking course. You did both did an excellent job! Were you the first to go? The ground looked so nice and clean. And what a beautiful arena. Good luck with your final scores.

lucky, sounds like you had a nice ride! Good for you. You're doing so well. I haven't been able to ride much this week. DH was sick, then better but out of town for work, then rain. Blah, blah, blah. Hopefully I can ride over the holiday long weekend.

faye, I'm with you on the impossibility of the "I forgot to tell you" excuse. Ah, well. He is with me now, and he's happy and healthy and I hope to keep him that way! Glad your travels will lessen a bit for you. Hard living out of a suit case! Always love your IG posts.

Austen, I am like you, and I would have gotten him anyway, but I sure would have liked to have known. But I'm super happy I was able to get the vet records so I know. I'm actually a little surprised as well. I knew the vet they used because of the coggins certificate. Then I called them and they said the would ask the previous owner if she would release them, and she okayed it. So I'm really happy about that. Now I just care for the boy. I bet you are totally looking forward to the warmer weather of Florida! Enjoy it.

Well, even though I haven't ridden much this week, I do have to say that Tay Tay must be feeling more at home here. When I first got him, I thought he was pretty stoic and maybe a little aloof. But I think he was just adjusting and not sure what to think about me (and DH). But now I've noticed he's happier to see me and has the cute face and doesn't mind the petty, etc. Especially if I come bearing treats! ha. So, I think he's happier now, which makes me happy. He's used to his routine and has gotten used to being handled a few times each day again. When he was at the other farm, he was just tossed in the field and not handled at all for many months.

Well, I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgivingif you celebrate it! Enjoy time with family and friends and good food. DH and I are on our own this year.

Comment

• Suzie- Pony is 100% Arab.

PF- thanks, I was quite pleased with my girl. Especially since she propped at the canter with E the day before. I flat told Pony that she better not do that "humping stuff" with me I hope you get some good rides soon.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate.

Comment

• Sugar, I've been thinking about Cash. How is he?

Comment

• EqJ - nice job on a challenging course! But not finding out results until next month? Does the association announce the results at a year end banquet? Great way to get people to attend. One of our local associations has a year end banquet and has wonderful door prizes and a silent auction which entices people to attend. I haven’t been in years as I’m away in Jan. when it’s held but it’s pretty popular.

PF - loved the picture of the boys lounging in the sun! You know they feel safe when both nap at the same time.

Lucky - thanks! I try to keep up but don’t always have time to post. Love your pictures of Pony on IG.

The horses arrived safely to Wellington. Lady C tried to throw a wrench in the trip by being lame in her bad leg last weekend and having a little fever. We thought she might be developing cellulitis or an abscess. Vet did some blood work which was all clear and by Wed. she was back to normal. She tends to get a fever after shipping long distance so the vet had prescribed an immune booster which we think she had a minor reaction to. (Never a dull moment!) They headed south in the nick of time, freezing rain today and snow expected tomorrow - hello winter!

Comment

• In the mean time I had completely wet hair and sweat dripping off my nose at 6am this morning and all I was doing was yelling at hubby.

I hopped on Stars for the first time in ages yesterday. I only walked as my right arm is upset. It hurt to pull on short boots and at lunch time it hurt to press a knife in a pie. Hubby asked what I had done. I don't know but I have gone from not riding up to 2 horses in a day.

Then he called me once again with putting metal up for rafters for a shelter for the horses. So going up a ladder and lifting it and holding it over my head to measure holes and then doing it again to put bolts in after the holes have been drilled and those rafters are quite heavy for me. You have to do it one handed as the other hand is holding onto the ladder, so you dont fall. I also was out helping him with his project with a backhoe he bought, so once again lifting things over my head. No wonder my poor arm was complaining and it had nothing to do with riding horses.

This morning I told hubby not to lunge Sim and just hop on. I would come up and get Stars and lunge him and then ride with him.

When I went up Sim looked so terrible I went up to yell at hubby instead. He went from sucking back and looking out to being forward and soft.

I asked doesn't that feel better? He looked terrible before. He replied he felt terrible before but there was nothing he could do. When I entered the arena Sim started going forward and working correctly. I said that is because you did what I told you to do. He said no it was because Sim reacted to me being in the arena!

I permoxined Sim and put him away so hubby could get ready for work. I only lunged Stars as he was not perfect and cantered more than once when I asked him forward in trot, so I erred on the side of safety as I was now home alone.

Tomorrow I will probably do the same as hubby will ride Dodge and at the moment Dodge and Stars are sharing a saddle.

Comment

• Austen, glad Lady C is back to normal. They sure know how to keep us on our toes, don't they? Sheesh. And happy to hear they arrived in FL safely. (greys, you, too!) Stay warm.

Suzy, did you really yell at your hubby? My DH probably wouldn't listen to me if I yelled at him, haha. Just for spite.

Well, I am on the hunt for a dressage saddle. As I look, I realize this is well beyond me in figuring out where to start! There are SO many (like h/j, I guess) and I'm not learned enough in dressage to know what I need. On a whim, I looked up saddle fitters and found one I remember being recommended on COTH before. She’s in my state, but not local to me. She’s on the other side of the state. I emailed her half an hour ago and asked about saddle fittings and if she was going to be in my area anything soon. She immediately responded saying she was in my town today! Go figure. And she has time so I she is coming out today for a fitting. Wish me luck! Guess I'll have to kick the dirt off Tay Tay!

Comment

• Suzie: oh dear, I’m sorry but it’s so funny you’re yelling at DH! Mine wouldn’t listen either lol

PF: good luck with saddle hunting ! It was not fun for me but I’m very happy with my saddle.

Sugar; how’s cash man?

All- I got to see Toff !! You all know how much I love that silly silly boy, I didn’t want to say anything to jinx it so I kept quiet. My flight was delayed but I got there just in time to ride him just a little bit . You see, I’m from California and 19F is not a condition I’m used to and his new barn doesn’t have a covered or indoor so we rode around in snow (I was terrified of him sinking into the snow but he seems to be fine!)

he smelled the same, acted the same I love him so much. It was hard to say goodbye. I gave him a hug and told him to go have dinner. What did he do? He started bowing ! This was something I taught him when he was in California , we would go back to his pasture, he would bow so I can give him his good boy cookies. Out of the blue, he started bowing and I swelled up in tears. That fully demonstrated that he remembered me! His new owner said he’s not done it here ever!
                                        my heart is so full.
                                        https://imgur.com/a/eI2mAMb

Comment

• Aww..Faye. that's a great story. He definitely remembered you. Love that. And actually, though I hate the cold, snow makes decent footing if there's no ice! When I was a kid living in Michigan, we used to wait till it got UP to 0º before riding. Ha. Now if it's about 35º or less (maybe I'm even being generous) I don't ride.

The saddle fitter came out, and now I have some models to go look for. The search begins. She said to sell my h/j saddle. Too small for me. And I do agree. (Not my Stubben, but my Neidersuss.) So after I figure out the dressage saddle, I'll start on the h/j saddle. My Stubben is only a so-so fit with Tay.

Comment

Working...
                                          X