Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TC...awesome job!! Love the photo. And yeah, you will get "those" judges. I guess at least she was consistently stingy with her scores. I've always heard at the lower levels not being vertical on the bit is completely acceptable and sometimes preferable. Ah, well. Good job!

greys...I hope you are able to check in periodically. Please keep us posted if you are able. I have flashbacks of the other farm you were at.
    My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

Greys -- omg, that's insane. I hope the homes are okay too and glad the horses are out. Sending jingles and stay in touch.

Cupid -- Yeah the first judge sounds a bit harsh. Glad the second one was good! Any horse that can do a test in crazy wind that made most people scratch should get like a 10 point bonus

Comment

greys How scary! So glad you listened to your gut and took Sandro the day before. Like PF I was thinking back to the last farm when it burned. I can't imagine having that hanging over your head all the time. That would be stressful to the max!!

Glad the rest of the CA re-riders aren't in harms way!

Cupid That's great that Cupid was a Steady Eddie and you were able show under conditions that had others scratching. That's a wonderful positive to take away from the show regardless of what judge #1 thought.

Suzie That's a seriously good haul from the tack sale. You always do good there! Hope you are having some rain.

Rain Sounds like a great clinic! How cool is that to find someone who knew Rain bitd and can appreciate what he has become.

Dewey How is Sky doing? Do you think you will be able to make the Finals?

Time changes this weekend and I know that is going to make it harder for everyone to get rides in. Trudging out in the dark to ride can be a downer.

I had a nice ride on Sunday at our local conservation area. It was a gorgeous day and met up with a friend to get one last ride in. We took DH's horse too but once we got there he decided he didn't feel up to riding. That was fine with his horse, he's so laid back he was fine staying behind when we rode off. That would freak a lot of horses out but he didn't mind a bit. He was probably just happy not to have to work after all. It was a cool morning and both of our horses were feeling frisky! Not out of control but snorty, prancy, silly. My friends horse is an older Arab mare. Don't know for sure but definitely late 20s possibly close to 30. We were laughing that we are getting too old for this shit, she's 69 and I'm 64. She said normally I would say I need an older horse, but all the ones older than this are already dead!

The next day the weather changed and we had snow overnight with a bigger snow coming tonight and tomorrow. Then deer hunting season starts and that shuts down the trail riding until next Spring. I can't believe how fast this riding season flew by! The last couple of weeks we have been working our way thru the get ready for winter list. Getting more dirt in the lean to to keep it high enough not to flood in the Spring. Had work to do in both barns, some minor repairs to stalls, some fence to fix, some trees to cut down. Got all my flower pots cleaned out and store, fountain drained and stored. There is never a shortage of things to do on the farm.

Comment

AFM, sounds like you're all prepared for the winter. .That's good. And you got a great ride in, too! I enjoyed your IM picture. Is that the same ride? Looked so nice. Hey, your friend can do a century ride! I am so not ready for winter. Nor the time change. Sigh. Can't wait till I can get an indoor for riding through winter.

Comment

TC Pepper and I used to always get over 20 points difference in our dressage tests from the different judges. It was said that you could complain if you got over 20 points but it always happened to us.

But later when we could actually ride and win that 20 points difference cleared up and we won by miles. In one one day event Peppy and I went into the show jumping with 66 points to spare. We virtually could have knocked down every show jump and had 2 refusals and we would still have won. He went clear in cross country and show jumping.

Greys I am so glad you and Sandro are safe. Heaps of safety hhhhhmmmmssss

Oh and I got a cair girth for $20.00. at that sale. I am going to go and google it now.
            It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Thanks PF! So far our house is ok. We are still not allowed back to our houses probably at least through tomorrow but I think they will keep us out until Thursday. Even though there was really no risk last night, I think they're worried about tonight's winds and didn't want to let folks in and then have to evacuate in the middle of the night again. The winds have been very strong and unpredictable. I'm just trying to hang in there until Thursday when we head out to the competition.

Comment

It says that it is an elastic girth and very good for girthy horses. I will have to have a better look at it. I didn't realise it was elastic.

The one like mine seems to be going for an average of $153.00 on ebay.
                It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Greys, you will be in my thoughts till you tell us you are in the clear. And with all that on your head, have a wonderful show!!

Comment

Paradox - No offers yet? When does your option on the replacement property run out?

AFM - I'm so glad hunting is not a thing around here!! And snow already??
                    http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

Greys- jingling for you, especially prepping for a show on top of it all. The grounds aren't anywhere close to the fires, are they?

TC- loved the pic, you guys are such a fun pair. Kudos to you, I have a thing with wind, as in I get super nervous, even in our covered arena. You have done a super job with him

Comment

TC...no offers on our farm. We already "lost" that last property. I think we'll end up having to build from scratch. A daunting and exciting prospect. So we'll see. We only showed our farm once so far. I think it'll be a while. Another friend who sold their farm last year said it took around five months. I think it may take even longer. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Will catch up with everyone soon but wanted to let Greys know I’m glad your family and horses are out of harms way! It’s heartbreaking and scary watching the fire coverage on the news. Do take care!

Comment

Sadly another fire has broken out right next to my trainers barn in Simi Valley. The horses have been evacuated, but that's where Hudson normally lives. I'm starting to feel like I am cursed. My husband and I are talking very seriously now about moving. Not just bc of the fires, but that sure isn't helping the argument for staying.

Comment

Greys, are both Sandro and Hudson out at the showgrounds?

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
                                Greys, are both Sandro and Hudson out at the showgrounds?
                                yes, they've been there since Sunday. Hudson came over from a show in Del Mar and I drove Sandro myself. I'm so glad they're there. I can't wait to join them myself tomorrow.

Comment

Greys- man, not the update I was hoping for. Jingles for your trainer's place, too.

Comment

Originally posted by greysfordays View Post

yes, they've been there since Sunday. Hudson came over from a show in Del Mar and I drove Sandro myself. I'm so glad they're there. I can't wait to join them myself tomorrow.
                                    Okay, good! Be careful. And good luck at show.

Comment

Greys: That is terrifying, i know you had thought about moving to our hoods, woodside is calling your name!! I'm so glad though Sandro and Hudson are safe, i saw pictures of horses evacuating and it is the worse nightmare! Jingles to your trainers farm!

Comment

Greys- Jingles for a good and safe show for you and your trainer.

Comment

AFM--Sky is doing great. I think she will be good for the adult medal final on Nov. 17. Aside from the fact that I will be very nervous, it will be a good show to go to as her first one back as we will show on only one day. Thanks for asking.

Greys--I'm thinking of you. Hope your house is OK!
                                          I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

Working...
                                          X