Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

_MG_4777-HDR

Sale Spotlight

index
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whew I logged in for an update and got the one I was hoping for. Yay for Sky.

A little rain on Saturday for us Sun, not heavy about 10mm all up. We will take every drop we can.
    It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by luckymaverick View Post
      PF- aww, thanks! He doesn't ride like it- he gives me the confidence that Pony does I enjoyed riding him, and getting to hang with you. How's D doing?
      Come out and ride again! Also, I did see a sign at Dover for the tent sale. I think I may need to go and get a new sheet for D. The one that came with him is a 78" and goodness, I don't know where they came up with that number. His poor booty is sticking out. So I'm going to look for an 81". I have TBG's old one, but it's a Horze brand, I don't like it. It shifts and the inside flap folds over at his chest. Just a poor design in my opinion.

Okay, so I had my first ride on D! DH put shoes on on Saturday because the vet/farrier was out of town for 2 weeks. Ack. I can't wait two more weeks. So DH did the shoes and my boy was ready to go. Well, I only rode about 20 minutes. I really like him! It will take me a while to get to know him under saddle, but he's pretty nice. I'm going to have fun with him. I texted a few pics to my trainer of our first ride. He was on his way back from PA National, so he'll be back in town. Next two shows are at Brownland, so lucky for me, that's local. He is coming today for a lesson. I'm so excited. I know, silly, right? It's just a lesson. But really, I've not jumped in a year due to a non-jumping horse, and then not having a horse (Chico I won't jump), so it's been a while. I hopped over a few cross rails on a horse at the adoption facility. But that's it. So I don't expect to do much today, but I'm just happy because my trainer knows this horse so well and he can guide me on what to work on, etc. I'll report back.

Faye, this must have been when you weren't not here as often. Yes, lucky came to meet my boys and ride the "best horse ever" Chico. (I tell Chico he's the best horse ever every time I lead him in or lead him out, or ride, etc.) It was fun to meet up! Next time you're in Nashville, look me up and you can ride him, too!!!

sun, I hate those types of turnout situations when there are aggressive horses. Heck, I don't like my three together as it makes it complicated to extract one. So I do two and one right now. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Comment

• Lucky: I didn't want to deal with drama of switching trainers at my previous barn, and didn't want to get out of my comfort zone of switching barns and stuck with it, talked myself into it for oh, 5 years! I can't believe how stupid i was. I am so much happier now, and i'm so glad you notice!

PH: Ah man!! I didn't even think about it! I was in Nashville twice!! Most recently i was there for a short meeting and even went to Barry's bootcamp! I would love to see the Chico man!

Dewey: Any Sky updates?

Super fun group lesson yesterday! The trainers at this barn is really challenging my brain in memorizing courses. Fun times though, and if i forget, i don't get that nasty gram!

Rode the mustang girl again, and this mare really teaches you to ride, you CANNOT be pulling to the fence or it gets ugly! Just make sure you have a gallop and she will take care of you. Yep, just like that, we had a super fun lesson!

Comment

• Hi, everyone--Sky continues to improve--I have talked to the vet in Aiken twice since I returned home on Sunday. She will be coming home tomorrow. The bill will be huge, but I think insurance will cover most of it. Anyway, I am so thankful we got her there in time and that she is in good hands.
          he became dehydrated during the day on Saturday and that is what started the problem. The vet said horses often stop drinking as much as they need to when the weather changes, and I think that is what happened. She had opportunities to drink, she just didn't. Then the food that was in her stomach just sat there and became a blockage.

Thanks again for all your positive vibes and jingles!
          I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Glad to hear Sky is on the mend, Dewey !!

Y'all, I rode 5 horses this weekend and I'm walking like a bow-legged grandma today. Please tell me this gets better?
            https://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628

Comment

• Supershorty, I'm right there with you. I had my first lesson in many months today. I haven't jumped in a year, and I jumped my new horse today...it was a challenge. I'm sitting on the sofa now recovering, haha.

Dewey, great news!!

As mentioned above, I had my first lesson today on D. It was our second ride. We jumped. Um...not overly pretty yet, but I really like this horse. We will get in sync I'm sure. My last jump was good, so there's that. . On the flat we worked on extending the trot, and shortening the canter, then back to medium work. He is fairly adjustable. We are just both out of shape. So we are both working on that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191014_184533_243.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	10496682

Comment

• Dewey - I'm so glad Sky continues to improve.

StG

Comment

• Dewey- so glad to hear the good report!

Faye- it's not you being stupid, at all. As the saying goes, Happy looks good on you and you deserve all the happy I'm not super far from PF, so add me to your meet-up list when you're in the area please.

PF- the more I see of D, the more I really like him. I'm so glad he's been worth the wait.
                  Last edited by luckymaverick; Oct. 14, 2019, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Yay that Sky and D are both getting better. D looks great.

I can hear that both Faye and PF are much happier!

Dewey if I can't take my own water. I take some molasses with me. I know I can't drink water in Brisbane. We are on tank water and all I can taste over there is chlorine and horses are much more sensitive than us to the taste of water.

Comment

• It's funny, Suzie. I know horses don't like the taste of all water, but Sky usually drinks fine in Aiken. In fact, she drank most of what what was in her stall the night before this happened. I refilled the buckets the next day, though, and they were untouched when we took her to the vet that night. I was thinking of taking some Gatorade to add to the buckets at the next show. A lot of horses like it.

Love the pic, PF.

I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I posted but I have been reading along, and following a lot of you on IG. So I've kept up and cheered you on from afar. This will probably be crazy long, so I apologize in advance!

Dewey I'm so glad Sky's colic resolved so quickly. Esp scary when you were out of town and had to depend on a strange vet clinic. I love the pics you have posted of her at the shows. She is so photogenic!

Faye It sounds like you have found the right situation for you and I'm very happy for you! I'm sure it was a hard decision to sell Cato but I can see where it would be hard to fit horse ownership into your life/work/travel schedule. That you can continue riding and be in a better environment is a win/win.

Lost So sorry about your sweet Max. I had to pts Katie, my Cavalier, this Spring. They are such sweet dogs and it is just heart wrenching to lose them. She is my 2nd Cavalier and there will definitely be another one in my future. Right now we have 2 older dogs that were dumped here many years ago and moved right in, and a dog I adopted from a shelter a year ago. Dogs just make life better, for sure. On a happier note your trip to Italy looks amazing!

Suzie We went thru a 10 month drought last year so I feel your pain. Hay was sky high here also and had to be brought in from quite a distance. Many people were forced to downsize their horses and cattle, or even sell the whole herd. Then we had a lot of ice and snow over the winter and then record amounts of Spring rain which caused so much flooding. It was crazy to go from no rain to nonstop rain. We had the wettest May on record and all the months so far have been much wetter than normal. Crazy to go from so dry to so wet. I hope when your rains come they are gentle soaking rains and not flooding rains. The flooding washed so many roads, bridges and railroad tracks out that many of them are still closed months later.

PF I hope D turns out to be a better fit than the last 2 were. Does Arcane's new owner still stay in touch? What discipline did she end up doing with him? I was surprised to see you were lessoning and jumping him because I thought he had been out of work for quite awhile. I must have read that part wrong originally or didn't remember correctly. I was thinking you were going to have to do quite a reconditioning process before starting back and not much time before winter starts. Like I said I must have remembered that wrong. As the years creep up the memory goes away, DH and I are happy to just remember our way home! That's neat that you were able to find out more about him. Did he ever race? Has your trainer been involved with him his whole sport horse career? I know you said he started his jumping career. Any lookers at the farm? I know, I have so many questions! That's what I get for lurking and not participating!

TC I'm glad Cupid's back on track and you are enjoying rides again. It's never fun when they are NQR and you have to play detective to figure it out.

Trot I would love to see some pics of the handsome Milo!!

greys Sandro looks like he is maturing and coming into his potential now. Your trainer is a lovely rider! I think you made a good decision there. Your new guy is just handsome as can be and what a mind! Another good decision, and it goes to show there are good options here in the good ol' USA. I must say, that Charlie is just the cutest little guy. So big and so curious and adventurous! Once those long legs of his learn how to run you all are going to have your hands full keeping up.

I know I'm missing some people, sorry about that. Welcome to all the new re-riders! It's a great group!

I'll try to keep my update short. Winter was rough, so much snow and ice, hay shortages, barn doors frozen down every.single.day. DH had pneumonia and a huge reaction to 2 types of medication and was in ICU for 5 days just barely hanging on. He fought his way back and then had a months long recuperation. So the winter just sucked.

Then record rain and flooding all Spring and Summer and mud, mud and more mud. We're lucky our home didn't flood like so many did and mud was the worst I had to deal with. So non-stop rain and mud means no riding. It was late June before I started getting some rides in.

AJ was good, finally after all the years it took to straighten him out after his bad experiences he has finally turned into a (mostly) reliable trail riding partner. A few glitches now and then but 99% better than when he was given to me as a hopeless mess. Quincy (Q) was lame in a back foot for months. Thanks to all the mud he was abscessing big time. I would wrap it with varying kinds of poultice wraps, it would break, he would be better for a short while and then dead lame again. Repeated that process for months and eventually he broke 5 times. He was then soundish but NQR for another month or so. Not positive to hoof testers or flexing, no soft spots on coronary band where another abscess was brewing. Finally it broke on the inside of his pastern about halfway between hoof and ankle. It drained for a couple days and then healed up and he has been completely sound since. That's only the 2nd time I've had one that broke up on the leg. So he was out of work all year and I've just been doing a little groundwork now and then. Maybe next year will be the year he and I get it together.

DH actually recuperated enough to ride his horse a few times. Just short 1/2 hr strolls thru our woods, but more than I ever thought he would be able to do.

Our old guy, Bugs, is 26 now and still doing well. I have to soak alfalfa pellets for him 2x a day and make his grain into a mash but he's able to graze some still and that keeps him satisfied. He stays in overnight and eats and sleeps like a baby then goes out with his buddies for awhile then wanders up and stands under the lean to and snoozes.The retirement all horses deserve and so few get.

That leaves Buddy the mule. He just lives the good life. He comes in with the rest of them every morning to get his couple handfuls of grain, sprayed and fly mask put on, and some snuggles. He's just a sweetie.

I just finished a 75 day temp job that was absolutely crazy! The most screwed up mess I've ever been a part of. So glad it is over but the up side is it paid for all the extras for the horses for awhile. Now I'm hoping the rain will calm down and we will get some nice fall weather. I only have a month to ride before deer hunting season starts and that shuts down all the trail riding. My phone died a spectacular death and I lost everything. I'll see what is in the cloud and post a few pics later if I find anything. If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I knew it would be a novel.

Comment

• AFM, it's great to hear from you. I'm sorry about all the troublesome issues you have been having to deal with lately. I'm hoping it will all calm down now and that you'll be back to a more routine life! When it rains, it pours, huh? Jingles to your DH for his further recovery. Scary.

Well, you sort of read that right with D. He was off work for a few months. Prior to that my trainer was still working him and jumping him. So it wasn't overly long ago. And he was off here for 4 weeks due to the shoe/foot issue. Okay, I admit, when I say jump, it was crossrails, and a few 2' verticals, so nothing overly taxing. But I'll be taking it slow on my own. My trainer knows him well, and he's the one who set up the jump, so I just figured he knew the horse best. The two of us BOTH need to get in shape.

TBG's new owner is a dressage rider. She really like him, so I'm super happy about the pair. Yes, we still talk, which I love.

Comment

• AFM it is so good to hear from you and I was ecstatic to here that DH has come through and even to the point to be able to ride again.

It does sound like Quincy ended up with a case of Quittor. I am also glad he is over that now.

Our property is set up for floods and really it won't recuperate again without one. The grass is struggling with a blade here and there but that is more than we have had for a year so it is great to see a blade here and there when we can.

I am boiling the barley given to me from Dalson Park and I am feeding them up to 6 times a day just to try and stop them trying to graze the dirt as there tummies are not empty. Work does interfere with that some days!

Comment

• AFM- good to hear from you! What a rough go you've had lately. I'm glad DH is on the mend, ICU is no fun. As I've never been through a winter rough enough to freeze barn doors, how do you unfreeze them?

PF- hey now, crossrails are jumps! That's what I tell Pony the odd day that we sail over them she loves all pole related things in any discipline.

Comment

• Dewey: Yay for sky!

SuperShorty: 5 horses?? You are super athletic! Welcome to this forum by the way!

Suzie: Thank you!! It's such a delight now to go to lesson!

PF: Agree with lucky, crossrails, 2ft are still jumps!! I'm glad both of you are progressing and learning about each other!

AFM: Rough winter for you indeed, but i'm glad things are turning around for the better, especially for DH, super scary when your love ones are in the ICU. I hope he continues to have a speedy recovery. Riding again is a super good sign!

Comment

• SS- I missed the part about 5 horses! I get sore after SuperPony and she's built like a sofa.

Comment

• PF I'm so glad you're jumping around again! Cross rails most certainly count. It's got to feel good knowing that while the horse is new to you, he's known to your trainer. He's gorgeous by the way. I'm really excited for you.

StG welcome!!! I don't think it matters what discipline, it just feels so good to be riding again

Dewey my gosh, how stressful, I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I'm glad Sky's on the mend. I know at the shows, I usually add extra iodized salt to his feed bc I just felt like Sandro wasnt' drinking enough.

Sunflower I'm so sorry your back is killing you. I've had a standing desk, bouncing ball and kneeling chair. I found the ball to be the best for my back, especially when pregnant. The struggle I had with standing was I would get tired and slump, sort of defeating the purpose. If you do get a standing desk, make sure you get a gel mat to stand on. I really hope it gets better.

Faye I'm so happy to read your updates. I feel like we are finally getting rid of that mean voice you would direct to yourself. It's not all gone, but good riddance. You deserve kindness in your training, you are a wonderful horse woman!

SuperShorty DAMN girl that's awesome. That is for sure the most I've done as a rerider and it was allllll the advil after to recover.

AFM so great to hear from you! Your poor DH, my gosh, that must have been such a weight on your shoulders. I'm glad things are looking a bit brighter now, but I really hope things are easier. you've certainly earned a breather.

We had a fantastic show in Del Mar. Sandro did a warmup class with my trainer and two rounds in the 1.20s. I did the AO's day one and just ticked the last rail in the speed, but he was superb. The second day I rode in an open 1.20m class with 45 people in it, mostly professionals. I came in 8th!!! My trainer bumped my on her sale horse . It was a table 2D class, which is my favorite. Jump off starts after the orange.

https://vimeo.com/366098209

Other than a monster chip of indecision , it went well! The softer I am with my hands, the braver he is. My trainer was pleased with my progress. I'm still pinching a ton with my knees, so I'm working hard on fixing that. We get a couple weeks off and then close the year with two weeks at Thermal. It's under new management with a friend of mine running it and I am so excited at the changes they're making. We will do a light schedule for both horses and hopefully I get to show Hudson the second week.

Comment

• greys - Well, feel good might be questionable...a little sore. Speaking of sore, does anyone have any suggestions for stretches and strengthening exercises? 2 point is kicking my butt. It doesn't make sense that it's so much harder to hold - after all, your weight is in your stirrups, so your feet are holding you up, just like they do every day.

AFM - What a stressful year!

StG

Comment

• Greys- what a fun show. I would get distracted with the other horse in the arena- I didn't think they could come in before you were done or almost done.

StG- Fab has me doing stretches before lessons, and I ended up liking it so much I do them before workouts, too. It's only 5 minutes, "5 Minute Total Body Stretch" from Bowflex on Youtube. The coach is very positive and encouraging

Comment

• St G Jennifer Kries has a work out that has Pilates, Yoga and Ballet exercises. They are not boring and the whole work out is done lying down on a mat. Make sure it is a foam mat preferably 1 cm thick.

The side affects of doing the whole workout - 1 hour daily means no aches and pains from any exercise in any kind of sport.

There is a 15 minute work out on there as well I think. Total Body Workout

Comment

Working...
                                          X