Sport Horse Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

Driveway

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC/PF- I have a random question about the Ariat Heritage boots... can you condition them or do you just wipe with damp rag and use boot polish? I've been reading about leather boot care and I do like a good sheen for the showring so at least we look the part

Comment

• My DH has polished mine to shine, but I don't think most people do. DH uses black shoe wax and LOTS of rubbing.

Comment

• Lucky - I'm the wrong person to ask because I don't really have a system. After riding I may: brush dirt off with a very soft brush; wipe with a damp rag; wipe with a leather cleaner/conditioner; or nothing, depending on my mood. At shows I like to use this, which is super easy and puts a quick shine on: https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/ef...er-shine-10441
        http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LOL PF was he in the military or something? Mine are rubber so I put on the stuff for cars for the dash and stuff. The last time after the Dressage Day my instructor asked me if I had bought new boots. I said no, I just cleaned them for the Dressage Day last week.

The last time I saw them they are under an inch of dust and look brown instead of black. We have no grass and then gales of wind that just takes the top off the ground and puts it all through the house.

I didn't get a choice to say no PF. Hubby was excited enough to call me. It is just talk at the moment. We won't push it, but hubby did say that he would like to see her before she is put down. She is not in work, probably a brood mare. Which is the situation Vinnie was in when I bought her. Vinnie never went into foal though, but was in the paddock with the brood mares and had 500 holes in her face where she was suffering from itch and had rubbed the itchy insect bite lumps off.

She said they are buying in hay at $25.00 a bale and they just can't afford it. We just don't know when it is next going to rain or if we will get rain this year. It started sprinkling an hour or two ago. Just a tiny patter on the roof but not enough to reach the ground. It just teases you.

I told him we would seriously have to think about Twiggy if it came to that. She is purely a pet and has been on our dime for over a decade. He bought her without me and didn't see any red flags. My instructor said he would never ride her. He was right. By the time hubby would be a good enough rider to ride her she would be long gone as horses don't live that long!. I did ride her at one stage and she stopped bucking and bonded with me and was such a good girl, but then I figured I was better off putting the work into a younger horse so I bought Stars.

Of course she is one of our babies as we don't have kids and part of the family so she is still here. The head and the heart don't agree.
          It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Very true, often the head and the heart don't agree. And, yes, DH was in the military!

Comment

• PF- I like to use a similar method, borrowed from FAL. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't ruin them. I can usually get a good shine with warm shoe polish and lots of elbow grease (using pantyhose or the like).

Comment

• New members: Welcome!!

Lost: I am so sorry about Max, losing them is losing a family member, you take your time to grief.

Lucky: I'm so sad for you for the boot fiasco!

PF: How's D doing? Hope he's settling in!

Not much to report on my end. I have been on vacation and travel like mad for work. However, keeping twice weekly lessons and that is so good for my soul! I've grown to be in love with the pony (Lucky, i hear ya!!) He really is the best!

Comment

• So, at 58 I'm taking riding lessons. Ironically, I pretty much stopped riding when I bought my farm and brought my horse home. Living alone I realized that if I were to pull a Christopher Reeve in the field, I could be out there for days before someone missed me. For 15 years, I've only ridden rarely, while continuing to feed and maintain my now 3 horses.

A month ago, I had a day off and went to a friend's lesson before we continued on to lunch. So the bug bit me again, and here I am. edging past middle age, in boots and breeches learning hunt seat. My previous discipline was dressage, and even after all these years, my body still remembers how I'm supposed to feel in the saddle. Unfortunately, that's not how hunt seat feels - there's a whole different body position. But, on the plus side, jumping!

So this will be an adventure. Will I stick with hunt seat? Go back to dressage? Buy another horse? Who knows?

StG

Comment

• St G I am in exactly the same boat. Being able to lunge correctly and being experienced enough to know about feeding so horses are fat but not overfed means that I have (touchwood) very safe horses even though they are OTTB's.

Adding a dressage arena has brought that along in leaps and bounds.

Hubby did not really start riding until he was in his 50's. I can travel over an hour away AND stay overnight and not even think about it because he knows how to lunge correctly to keep the horses safe to ride.

We also have the plastic contraptions on the front of the stirrups so as there is no way your foot can go through the stirrup in case anything happens like having a stroke or a heart attack while in the saddle.

Comment

• St G- welcome! I feel you on the hunt seat- my background is hunters and now I'm fully hunt seat with dressage/all around(aka whatever classes we put Pony in) thrown in

Faye- welcome to the dark side!! Ponies really do rock. With my fear of heights, I prefer the shorter equines. I almost had a panic attack on StraightFire the other week, and she's barely not a pony at maaaaaaybe 15.1. Yes, I too, am put-out and frustrated over the whole boot thing. I should have known after the 3rd or 4th bathtub that they just weren't gonna work. Even typing that, I realize it's the definition of insanity.

Comment

• Hey, lucky, you did awesome with Chico! He is about 16hh!!

Comment

• PF- aww, thanks! He doesn't ride like it- he gives me the confidence that Pony does I enjoyed riding him, and getting to hang with you. How's D doing?

Comment

• I would appreciate jingles for Sky. We are in Aiken, and after a normal day of showing, Sky began to look uncomfortable, and it got worse until we ended up taking her to the local veterinary hospital. She has a blockage and is on IV fluids and pain meds. If the vet can keep her comfortable tonight, she will give me an update in the morning and we will decide on how long she needs to stay. If she cannot keep keep her comfortable, the vet will call me later tonight and we will have to trailer Sky to UGA for surgery. I'm really scared, everyone.
                            I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Oh no Dewey. I am so sorry to hear. Healing hhhhmmmmmsssss for Sky. I really hope she pulls through.

Comment

• Oh no, cyber hugs to you and jingling like mad for quick relief for Sky!!!

Comment

• Hello Re Riders

Sorry to hear you are still not getting the rain you need Suzie. That has to be frustrating and scary. Is there any rain in sight?

Dewey-- major jingles for you and Sky. Such a scary time. Hope all turns out well.

Faye How fun to be enjoying a pony! Hope you keep having fun! a

I have not been able to get a lot of rides in on PH between work and rainy weather. I think that all the rain that Suzie needs has come to my side of the world and just keeps falling, day after day. When I have been able to ride, he has the perfect attitude, willing, focused, serious. He is such a fantastic guy. <3. I have started taking a big whip into the pasture when I have to catch him, as there is one horse that is very aggressive towards humans. The other horses see the whip and get a look on their face like "Well, alrighty then. Be that way." Sort of surprised, yet, not surprised look-- I don't know how to describe-- like they have been caught out at something-- vaguely guilty. And I tell them "I will be that way-- thank you." Most of these have been trained with natural horsemanship, so they get the signals to get the blank out of my space. PH stands and watches, bemused, and them ambles up to me to be caught.

I am still dealing with my back issue. Chiro does not want me riding yet. Well... you can see how well that is going. The more active I am, the better, I feel. It is a day at work that puts it all back to zero-- even though I try to be conscientious about standing, walking and stretching every hour, and not sitting too long. My work station is a crippler. I am trying to get a standing desk option but work is being very slow to respond.
                                  A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

• Just a quick note--I am about to check out of the hotel and am heading over to the vet clinic. The vet just called, and Sky is better, thank goodness. She had more meds and fluid during the night and passed manure this morning. In addition, her gut is making all kinds of satisfactory noises. She is going to stay at the clinic for now while I return home for work. I am so thankful that she seems to be on the mend.

I feel really guilty that I showed her yesterday, and she jumped around great in her usual style while she probably was not feeling well. The only thing I noticed was that her one lead change was much worse than usual, which I attributed to my poor riding. I don't know if that was a sign she wasn't feeling well or not, but that is the only thing I noticed at the time. Horses are such troopers.

Thanks for your jingles, everyone.
                                    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Dewey: Glad Sky is doing better but will continue to jingle! Please don't blame yourself! There is NO WAY to tell! This happened to me last year after a clinic. TSH did so well during clinic and started to act funny and colic after, sent him to clinic and observation and TLC overnight he was sent home. I felt so bad but there was no way for me to tell.

Sun: So sorry about your back, but you need to keep asking for that standing desk! Hate it when weather eats up riding time. Winter is coming! I'm lucky that the new barn has a huge covered and the ponies i'm riding doesn't seem to have traffic issue. I felt horrible for my barn mate that was riding a schoolie with traffic issue and it became a viscious cycle when the ring got busy. She was tense, horse got tense, and it was a difficult situation.

PF: I missed the part where Lucky get to ride Chico!!

Lucky: This week i didn't get to ride the wonder pony, i was back on the wild mustang, and a new schoolie. Miss the well behaved super pony! I'm obsessed!

Comment

• Dewey- sending major jingles and hugs to you! That sounds super scary. I'm glad you were able to get her to the vet quickly and that she is improving. Please keep us updated.

Lost- thinking about you and sending you jingles and hugs as well

Faye- The right ponies can be addictive! I must say, since you switched barns and are riding just for the fun again, I can hear the happiness and lightness that was missing for so long. I'm so very happy for you

I go to choose between Pony and StraightFire for my lesson today- I picked Pony today but may branch out to StraightFire Thursday, depending on how sassy I'm feeling.

Rode without spurs, as it was the first cool ride we've had, in the 40s. On Fab's request, we used the pelham and boy was she good. Got an honest connection, with work on both our parts. So often, in the pelham or kimberwicke, she will give a false frame to be lazy. This was the first time we had honest from the get-go and even the collected trot was easier and smoother to achieve.

PF- Fab told me about a big tent sale the end of October. Dover is having it Oct 25-27. We're going to go the first day and hopefully my boots will be marked down. A girl can dream.

Comment

• Good news, Dewey. Sorry, belated jingles and healing jingles coming Sky's way!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X