Stallion Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

Main-Barn-Bench-to-end2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you PF!!! For a young horse, he is very self-assured. I think that's bc the breeders focused so much on the ground working and trail riding etc. Under saddle, I remember half halting and he came right back to the walk and I was like oh, maybe he's a little lazy but then when we were doing some jumping, he was really ready and happy to get back to work. He is just very workmanlike under saddle.

He kind of has that stallion confidence and awareness of everything around him, but none of the intense ego you have to manage. I have a suspicion they gelded him fairly recently bc he has that really nice coat and mane and tail. His registered name is Imre Doc C and his barn name is Doc, which I don't love.

He is by Indoctro, and he has Ramiro on the motherline, so I was thinking Indorami for his show name. But I may keep his show name to respect the breeders. I don't love Doc tbh. This is him jumping with Susie Hutchinson in the 5 year olds.
    Attached Files

Comment

• AHHHH OMG. I'm so excited. Look at that pretty boy jump!! Hmm. Okay will think of name ideas. Doc does conjure up a quarter horse, doesn't it? Indie? This will take some collective thought. Again, congrats!
      Finding Cures, Saving Children. Sept. 29, 2019 Saddle Up for St. Jude event. Donate here.

Comment

• Greys - Congrats!!! He is gorgeous!! And a great mind to boot. =) Imre is a common men's name in Hungary, I believe it translates to Henry so how about Hank for a cowboy barn name!
        http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I like Hank. And I love Henry.
          Finding Cures, Saving Children. Sept. 29, 2019 Saddle Up for St. Jude event. Donate here.

Comment

• Greys- Love, love the new boy! And Susie Hutchison- double wow. I love Henry too and Hank totally makes me think of a guy with swagger.

I'm bringing my boots to the barn Sunday for Fab to see, and I may end up riding in them, or I may chicken out and bathtub them on a Sunday when I'm not working or riding and break them in first. Getting my right leg stuck rather traumatized me about the whole thing

On a funny note, Granny Dot has been sneaking Granddad Oneal some liquor at his Assisted Living. She mixes him Jack and Coke or his favorite Cold Duck wine and brings it in an old Ensure bottle. The folks just think he loves the Ensure a lot. Hey, when you're 92 (or higher), you can have whatever you want.

Comment

• Awww Greys, it looks like you are one that needs a new name!
              It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Anyone actually riding in this heat? Sheesh. I have been in court all week, so I've been busy, but I wouldn't have ridden anyway. Maybe very early tomorrow I can get out and ride. My trainer is back in town, and I don't have a horse. Unless I split lessons with DH and Jazzy. Happy Friday, all.

Comment

• I'm gonna brave it Sunday morning- riding at 9.

What brand/style of show jackets do you guys have? I'm in search of a new/new to me jacket. I need something with some give to fit the curves and short enough as I don't have long arms.

Comment

• Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
                    Anyone actually riding in this heat? Sheesh. I have been in court all week, so I've been busy, but I wouldn't have ridden anyway. Maybe very early tomorrow I can get out and ride. My trainer is back in town, and I don't have a horse. Unless I split lessons with DH and Jazzy. Happy Friday, all.
                    No.

we have decimated our herd and I am feeding them outside our property with temporary fencing. One cow and one cow and calf left. All the rest are young heifers and the bull, to hopefully start again with if we survive.

We were taking the horses outside our front gate in the other direction to graze until our neighbours let their cattle out there and they ate all the feed.

There is not one blade of grass on our property of 100 acres. In the newspapers farmers have not seen it this bad in their lifetime.

We are solely feeding the horses. There is no point paying a fortune to feed them and then running off the calories riding them.

It is fairly hot during the day. It is winter. There is no moisture or vegetation on the ground to freeze. So far a thin layer of ice on a horse trough one day.
                    It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Had a good bit of fun with Pony today. We had a group lesson, and OMG it was like herding cats. I've never done so many circles and random shapes to stay out of the way of walking horses when we're to be trotting. I think we all (3) were going to same gait two or three times in the hour. Pony got a mini break before she went again- which of course meant awesome Pony snuggles- she's such a lovebug- I brushed her favorite itchy spots on her face and she promptly fell asleep resting her head in my arms.

Fab and I were talking about Eq classes and no stirrup work. She said it's not uncommon to be asked to drop stirrups while posting trot and then pick them up again while trotting. She asked if I could do it, to which I replied "we're about to find out". Pony was a flipping metronome- we did it, I didn't eat dirt, and we didn't stop.

I hit one of my new goals today- I didn't walk until it was requested by Fab, and man did we have some long trot sets, rising and collected, while Fab dealt with rider/horse issues. I was quite proud of myself

Comment

• Awesome ride report, lucky! Good for you. Hard work pays off.

suzie, hope you get some relief soon.

I rode early on Saturday to beat the heat. Chico was a good boy. I still don't ask for much from him. Just a nice ride. I think it's good for him to move, too.

Comment

• Hi everyone!! I know i only pop in here like once a year or even less, but I have been thinking about you all!! And keep up with those who are in IG

I want to drop by to share some life updates. I sold TSH. *sniff* . He is a very good boy and taught me so much, but i cannot handle the stress of ownership. Money and time. If i can consistently have a leaser for him then it's totally fine, but it's not easy to find one. And lets be honest, it is a great way to get away from my trainer who i know yall adore so much.

I don't want to make this a long story. I don't want to appear to be someone who gives up easily, but after i fell off and had a concussion, ambulance to the hospital (I'm totally okay, but that was scary as hell!), and he has someone who LOVES him to pieces and wants to buy him, it was time to let go.

I feel so much relief because i don't have to worry about lack of time, and how much $$ i'm spending a month on a hobby. Remember never grew up riding, it is a concept i still don't quite get :P . In the bay area, boarding is 1K, plus training, and omg, why does his shoes costs so much? everything adds up and i'm so relieved.

I took a month off and i'm back taking lessons. I found a barn i like, unfortunately in my area, nothing is cheap, but the lessons are not too bad. For once, i had a lesson that the trainer is not on the phone the whole time sitting on a chair, and did not tell me I'm not trying hard enough. In my trial lesson, she wanted an idea of where my riding is, and just set up some low fences, then strung 3 fences together and gave me some simple things to think about and work on. I'm really easy to please

I think this is a very good decision for me. Travel is crazy at work. TSH and I checked off some bucket list items. We did an eventing show and nobody died . He's now in a good home (staying at the same barn), so all is good.

Comment

• Faye, it's wonderful to hear from you. I've thought of you often. I'm happy that you are okay from that scary sounding fall. It happens. And you know, horse ownership is a big commitment in both time, and money, and stress level. So you did what was right for you, and that's good. And you found pony a good home, so no problems. Enjoy the lessons. I'm actually quite happy you found a new barn and a trainer that pays attention to you. Good!!

Comment

• PF: One of the reasons for the lack of participation here is that despite the words of wisdom, i stayed with my old trainer for too long. Honestly, this seems a little like Stockholm syndrome to me. I know the situation is bad but i make excuses, but it wasn't working at all. I went into the eventing trial without her schooling us for the dressage test at all. I had no idea what to expect. Also some of the comments of her made me feel absolutely shitty. I'm hoping to have a new start . And since i'm just enjoying lessons, if things don't work out, i have a much easier way out!

Comment

• Faye I'm so happy to read your post. I wish more people could be so brave and take care of themselves and what they need, while making sure to take the best care of their animals. I have definitely been in situations with trainers that were really not positive and stayed for way too long. It's so hard, and kind of embarrassing. I totally get not wanting to talk about it. I'm so glad you're in a better situation that works for you and what you want from the sport. My hat is off to you.

PF I really feel you on the heat, it gives me ZERO motivation to ride the horses, it just feels miserable for everyone! I can see the dawn of fall on the horizon and hopefully it gets more comfortable soon!

Suzie WOW it sounds absolutely brutal where you are. I'm so sorry. Is this very atypical?

Lucky sounds like a really terrific lesson! Well done with the no stirrups, that's a great achievement as well as hitting your goal. How were the boots? I ride in Equiline coats and when it's really hot the Alessandro Albanese motion lite coats. They are ventilated and super comfortable. But I worry them may be too long for you. Maybe look on a used website (tried equestrian is awesome) for Cavalleria Toscana coats, they are beautifully made and will last you forever and they run much shorter.

https://www.triedequestrian.com/coll...ns-it-40-small

Thanks everyone for the kind words about the new horse. He has settled in very well to his temporary home. He can be a bit naughty on the ground sometimes, a little hop here or there, but generally good boy. We jumped around a small course this weekend and it blew me away how easy he is. I think he's easier to jump around than Sandro, just no spook and he almost feels happy when you point him in front of a jump. And despite looking a bit old fashioned, he has oodles of blood when you jump, so I think in a couple years, he could be quite competitive. For now, we're just getting to know each other. The horses will go to trainer bootcamp next week and then ship up for Split Rock in Sonoma. I'm excited.

Comment

• Greys: Makes me so happy to hear that ! I am so embarrassed about this whole thing. I am very glad this is over though. And congrats to getting your baby horse!! He is SO CUTE!

Comment

• Faye, I know it's easy for me to say, don't be embarassed. If it makes you feel any better, most of us here have gone through situations similar to you. And like greys said, kudos for you for making a decision that works for you! Please, come here any time. We missed you. Give Tobey a kiss from me.

greys, did you come up with a new name for the new boy? I can't wait to hear more about him. And it's awesome that you already feel like he has a great way of jumping. I think you two are going to be awesome!

Comment

• Greys- thanks for the recs on coats. I will be breaking in, aka bathtubbing, the boots a week from Sunday, since I won't have a lesson or anywhere to be so I can wear them til they dry, so stay tuned for another update. I absolutely LOVE your new guy- I'm super excited for you.

Faye- I've been thinking about you a good bit, and hoping you were safely traveling for work and all. I'm proud of you for taking the plunge, both in doing what is right for you and for TSH, instead of hanging on and making yourself miserable. I'm so glad you can enjoy riding and horsey time without any pressure. You deserve a trainer that sees how awesome you are whether you have a horse or not!

Comment

Working...
                                      X