Sport Horse Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

THC_1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by luckymaverick View Post
    [Do any of you guys ride in the riding Sunshirts, or are there any cheaper alternatives? My mom has lupus and is quite sun sensitive on her chest, but she loves to be outside, so I was going to get her some shirts for her birthday.
    I have a bunch of them, and I not only ride in them, but I use them for gardening as well. The sun here is brutal, and I found these shirts ideal.

If you want some that are less expensive and sturdy, I recommend the Ovation "Cool Rider" shirts. These are the ones I garden in. Mine are about 5 years old and still come out of the wash looking great. The sleeves run on the short side, which is good for me--I don't know about your mom. They run about $45 normally, but you can find them on clearance sometimes when the new colors come out. I linked one place.

Another brand you might consider is Kerrits, especially if her arms are a little on the long side. I have several of these and had to turn up the cuffs. They cost a little more than the Ovations, but still are on the low end for sun shirts. The plus side is that they do not have the mesh running up under the arms, which makes them look more like a regular shirt. They are cool and comfortable and come in a lot of pretty patterns as well as solid colors, which your mom might like.
    Made with Evercool™, the cutting edge fabric technology reduces body temperature by promoting a rapid dry time. Ultra fast wicking and drying in a soft mi
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Hi all

Going to try to cath up just a little bit

Greys--- sending you good horse shopping vibes. Horse shopping is one of the most frustrating ventures going I think-- PH was the third or fourth horse I vetted, the only one to pass ( and then again the vet was very iffy about him as he had sarcoids). The right horse is out there just waiting for you to find it!

Austen-- hooray for a fun ride! And congrats to your daughter on a successful show.

PF-- love the picture with you and Chico-- it is darling.

Lucky--- how is the boot shopping?

Not a lot new in PH land. I remain ambivalent about things and have made no decisions. I have been to look at a few barns, but nothing has really stood out as a solution. I had a lovely ride on PH this week, aside from fighting horrible flies that seem immune to fly spray, and he had a good, solid, pleasant attitude, and it was all nice. He wanted to stay at the gate and cuddle after I let him back out with his friends. This was in contrast to last weekend when he would not get caught, and after 20 minutes, I said forget it, and left him ( yes, I know I should have persisted, but it was hot, I was in a bad mood by then, and had other things I had to go). I remember him staring at me as I just turned my back and left-- like uh oh, I think that was not a good move.

The anti-Albert has moved into his herd-- a horse as amazingly helpful as Albert was not-- when I have more energy I will share some stories.

So I am just hanging in there with PH. Even a decision to make no decision is a decision-- I am not going to force a choice, there is no need and PH is fat and happy at the moment, so I will just keep hanging in there until the right way forward is clear.
      A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

• Sunflower - Reminds me of a Rush song, "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"
        http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• ^^^ love that song.

Comment

• Dewey- thanks for the recs.

Sun- I love how well you know your boy. Some days just aren't mean to be riding days.

Boot shopping- why, oh why did I decide to look for boots! Honestly, if I could find some short enough with drop, I'd go zipper and spare myself. The one lead so far is out of my budget (over $100). Full disclosure, the FB ones were priced at $30 plus $12 shipping- it almost seems too good to be true since it's so much lower than all the others I've seen.

Comment

• I have a lead on some Vogels- I know nothing about them except that normally they are above my budget. Any thoughts/good/bad/durability?

Comment

• Vogels are a classic brand. In my younger days, if you wanted decent boots (decent meant custom then), it was either Dehner or Vogel--that was it. On the FAL I have read a few complaints from people buying new Vogels. But the older ones are excellent quality, and I would say that you cannot go wrong.

Those FB boots are such a bargain, Lucky, that even if they don't last forever, they would be worth it.
                I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• lucky, I do have a few sun shirts. I'm still trying to find the "right" one, though. I have two from SmartPak. I like them, but they seem a little heavier than I want for summer, so I use them in milder weather. Then I heard everyone oohing and ahhing over Kastel shirts. I bought one. It was much lighter weight, but I found when I wore it to the St. Jude event a few years back, (end of September) it tended to show all the sweat, which simply will not do, so I had to change out of it. I have an Ariat shirt that I've not tried yet. I'll do that soon. Good luck with the book shopping.

Austen, yes, the gnats are bad, too! I am just now starting to see some of the larger horse flies. The mosquitos have been horrible, though, which is rare around here. I'm usually not bothered by them. And THANK you for the future donation. I really appreciate you for supporting me over the years! Glad DD is doing so well in the shows. Was this KY? One day I will get somewhere you're showing and meet you in person.

Dewey, talking sun shirts again, I may have to try some of your suggestions. I usually like Ovation products. What's blooming in your gardens these days? I didn't do a lot this year. I have four pots on the front porch and four on the back with just petunias and geraniums. I did do a massive weeding project recently to clean up the beds before putting the house up for sale. So they look half decent anyway. I still have two more smaller ones to do.

Sunflower, hang in there! I'm sure PH doesn't mind if you ride him or if you just come and pet him and give him a treat.

Nothing much to report here. I hope to ride this evening. Too muggy and hot and sunny this morning. Oh, to have a covered arena. Hopefully next farm!

Comment

• I had a nice morning ride on PH. The earlier I turn up, the happier he is. He thinks any time after noon is starting to be too late to work...! He came up to me to get caught, I was singing a nonsense made up (off key, I sing awful) song about horses and apples and carrots, thinking, it keeps me in a soft body language mode, it makes me think of horse treats, and somehow, it seems to relax him and make him easy to catch. He was in a cuddly mood again when I turned him back out, wanting to just hang out with me a few minutes instead of rushing back to his herd, which is nice.

Comment

• Sun- I knew i liked PH, he and I have a similar philosophy on work and time of day

Thanks for the input on the Vogels- it's not worth the price with the condition they are in. If the cheapies are available, I asked for conformation shots to see the wear and then hopefully I'll have new to me boots.

Comment

• PF, I think you'll like your Ariat shirt. I have two of them. I would also recommend the Kerrits, as I did for Lucky. You may find the Ovations a little on the heavy side. That's why I wear them when I garden--they are a bit sturdier.

I am putting in a new bed around the back patio, and it is taking forever. So far I have 1/3 done. Lulu wants to help dig whenever I do, and as she has undergone her heartworm treatment this summer, we had to keep her quiet, and so I had to stop, and that stretched out the entire process. We're getting near the end of her treatment, though, so I have resumed work. It's been so dry here, though, that the soil is rock-hard. (Yes, we still have Lulu. Son's plans are up in the air, so she is still with us.)

I am attaching one pic of a South Seas daylily. It came with a shipment of plants a couple of years ago as a freebie. I knew nothing about the variety, so I threw it into my cottage garden in the back. It bloomed the first year, and this year was spectacular. Now it is full of buds and is ready to bloom a second time. Best freebie I ever received!

Comment

• So.. a nice morning ride on PH, this time in his bridle, he went like a charm, really rounded in the back and so light and soft on the bit, where the littlest wiggle of seat or hand or leg brings an instant response. I went the whole of my horse riding life never feeling this softness and lightness in a horse until PH-- which to me just points out how many horses go around in false frames, not really off the forehand..

But... PH did not want to get caught this morning. He was giving me side eye from yards away, and looking for a convenient horse's behind to hide behind. His herd had an amazing reaction-- one by one the horses he tried to hide behind bit him in the rear end and pushed him towards me, snaking their heads. Pretty soon his three best friends ( and the top tier of the herd) were in a semi circle behind him, pushing him towards me. So he had no choice but to get caught-- he looked at his friends and then at me with a really grumpy "oh bleep" expression on his face.

When I described to Barn Owner, she said the herd has started doing this-- she went to catch a hard to catch pony, and these three boxed it in against the fence, until Barn Owner could catch it.

The ring leader for this is the anti-Albert, a great big mare, who I swear is practically human, in the way she understands what humans want and are trying to do. She is a real old soul. I am not making up what happened-- it was something to behold. And BO says it happens with some frequency. I guess this herd does not tolerate bad manners-- I imagine Albert spinning somewhere...!

Comment

• Sun- That is so cool about the herd dynamic and teamwork!

Pony made me work today, and I gave it right back. All I wanted was some nice working trot that wasn't plodding and had room for extension. Well, you would have thought I was asking for the moon. She leaned on my hands and carried her head/neck low with a fake bend. We finally got some semblance and called it a day. On the plus side, she did look super cute in the bonnet I got for her.

Fab is putting on a community outreach day in September, at the very arena where The Great Come-Apart happened. She invited me to ride Pony for it. I.Can't.Wait. Redemption without a show atmosphere. Plus, Pony is going to be a real unicorn- with a horn and wings Nothing like truth in advertising.

Comment

• Dewey, I love the Day Lilies as well. I have quite a few that I really like. Yours is super pretty. And thanks on the Kerrits recommendation. I will keep my eyes out for a decent sale and try one. I was kind of glad to read about Lulu. (I'm kind of hoping you keep her. Sorry. )

Sun, I agree with lucky, that is very interesting with the herd dynamics! I've not seen that before.

lucky, tell me more about the outreach.

Had a nice ride on Chico yesterday. I like to give him at least one day off in between right now, so he'll get the day off today. I switched up his feed, since he felt a bit lethargic, and I think it's helping. He's back on ProElite Performance Senior.

Comment

• Austen: Great work on your lesson, and you've totally inspired me to get out on the outside track near me that has some uphills and downhills. so good for everyone. Glad DD had a good experience showing!

Lucky: I'm taking a break from sunshirts and am now wearing hiking button down shirts. To me, they look more normal, they breathe way better, they are more away from the skin and the good ones have venting in the back. When you are riding, I find them much much cooler. I brought them on my trip to England and washed them in the sink, they dried immediately and don't wrinkle. My favorites are the columbia ones:

https://www.columbia.com/womens-silv...e-1714371.html

if you can get your hands on a pair of Vogels, I would not hesitate. I got boots made at their store in New York city twice and loved the experience. They make them with a lot of care.

Sunflower I am LOVING these barn stories and all the adventures around catching PH. This mare sounds absolutely amazing, I want one of those!!! Very cool!

Dewey That day lily is BEAUTIFUL! Wow! I can't wait to see pictures of your finished new bed. How has Lulu been adjusting to life with you?

PF Look at you braving the heat for rides, I bet Chico is happy to get a little extra movement. How are the two feeds different? I've realized feeding is a real art form.

The show was a blast, it was much smaller than usual, I only had like 15 or 16 in the high AAs, usually those get into the 30s down here. First class, Sandro was terrific, we had a tough warm up and I was just too in my hand. But it was super fun, and we ended up 2nd. If only I had pulled just once or twice less

Second class I rode much more smoothly and positively. There was a very short six stride line and he came back beautifully, so much so that he had room and I needed to support more with leg and he had it down behind. Rare for him. Then in the last bending line my track was off so I stuffed one more stride in and we were too close and I had it down. But I felt like I rode better and good gosh, I love riding on grass. It was so much fun to jump low and not care and just have fun. I need to remember that when I'm feeling in a slump. This was my first time trailering home from a show and it went really well. I wish I had gotten a trailer years ago. The front unload ramp is so clutch when we get home and he just walks off calmly.

The young horse we tried is lovely and he vets today. It's kind of unusual, he was bred here. His mother won a World Cup Qualifier with Richard Spooner and he's by a pretty famous stallion. So nicely bred, with a great workmanlike attitude and a fantastic canter. I'm not 100% sure he has the scope for the high AOs but could still grow into a super nice jumper. So we will see. I'm weirdly pessimistic he will pass for some reason.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sandro 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	10446070

Comment

• Greys- with the Columbia shirts, what I need is the SPF factor, so I'll check them out. I love Richard Spooner. I'm glad you had a good show with your boy.

PF- here's the info I have so far: The Middle Tennessee Arabian Horse Club (MTAHA) will be hosting an ARABIAN HORSE COMMUNITY DAY on Sept 28, 2019....MTSU Livestock Arena in Murfreesboro, TN...10 am - 3 pm. I for one would love to see you and would appreciate the moral support

Comment

Greys- with the Columbia shirts, what I need is the SPF factor, so I'll check them out.
                                    They have between 40-50 UPF. I've found the coverage to be very good in the blaring CA sun.

Comment

Greys- with the Columbia shirts, what I need is the SPF factor, so I'll check them out. I love Richard Spooner. I'm glad you had a good show with your boy.

PF- here's the info I have so far: The Middle Tennessee Arabian Horse Club (MTAHA) will be hosting an ARABIAN HORSE COMMUNITY DAY on Sept 28, 2019....MTSU Livestock Arena in Murfreesboro, TN...10 am - 3 pm. I for one would love to see you and would appreciate the moral support
                                      Shoot, lucky, that is my St. Jude day. Bummer. We will meet up again at some point!

Comment

• Those shirts look nice, greys. Also, love the trailer shot!

Comment

• PF- bummer indeed. I know you will do great at your Event, I hope you have a good turnout.

Comment

Working...
                                          X