Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Real Estate Spotlight

JR-1

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I vow to ride this weekend. I might need some encouragement!

Comment

• Mustang No it definitely doesn't fit a trunk in the front tack locker. I got the larger model, so I could put the trunk in front of the horses and secure it, bc I definitely have more room. Or I can put my trunk (it's one of those stanley trunks) in the car with me.

Maple Lane I think has been importing Bockmann's the longest. Marsha was AMAZING to work with. I had 7 billion questions and she was terrific. I'm blown away how well designed it is. I haven't stopped crawling around trailers for the last 2 years, and it's just in its own league. And it really hauls like a dream. I have the navy roof and every afternoon I check the temp after its been in the hot california sun, and it's never very hot. I was planning to install fans and now I may just wait on that.

I still cannot get over than insane screw. Holy majole. Glad it's ok.

PF You gotta get out there and ride! It will do you so much good!!! Just one horse, even for 15 minutes, you'll fee so accomplished.

Cupid Glad he's getting treated. My other barn was using FES to great results. You're sure his feet aren't hurting? When Sandro's front feet hurt, it can manifest in back and neck pain bc he braces against it. I know sometimes the TBs can have more sensitive feet. Just a thought, I'm sure you guys know better!!!

Not much to report on the horse front, I keep practicing ground work and we are almost perfect on our self-loading in the trailer. We will probably take our first trip in a week with him in it. But I've been driving the trailer everywhere for practice.

Monday I'll be in Sonoma to try some horses. Fingers crossed we find something. I'm getting a little worried I'm being unrealistic about what I want but at the same time it feels like a big budget. Hoping we find something good!

Comment

• Greys- jingles for productive horse shopping!

Dewey- happy riding/showing at Aiken. I know you guys will do great.

PF- I hope you get some ride time in. I'm glad you've had such happy reports from your previous gang.

Hoping to ride this week- couldn't pass up work this weekend. So the boots I "sold" to E, literally fell apart after she wore them 3x. Thankfully I hadn't taken payment yet. I felt awful. They were about 7 yrs old, always treated well, ridden in maybe 7-8 shows. They now resemble flip-flops. Now I'm super discouraged about buying used for myself off ebay. Had no idea this was a thing

Comment

• As PF said the tail swishing is worrying. It can be pain which means she is not using her back to its full 100%, which means she is easier to sit to.

Buy her, get a good chiropractor and she may be harder to sit to jumping. But the damage jumping at that height with not a 100% good back, I would pass and look for another horse.

Just my 2 cents worth and no emotion in the game. Good luck with your search Greys. What are you going to do with Sandro?
          It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

• Though I will say, as an owner of many, many mares..often tail swishing is just par for course. Even the sane sound ones. I've had a few like that.

Comment

• so what exactly does the extra hind "kick" do over the big sticks? Is it to clear the jump? Or to avoid touching poles? Or par for the course with jumps over 4'?

Comment

• Greys - It seems like a really nice & efficient setup. I wonder why they don't sell more in the U.S.? Hope horse shopping goes well in Sonoma! I was out there for work last month and drove by some *really* nice barns that I was absolutely drooling over.

TC - How's Cupid doing? Seeing any effect from the FES?

PF - Did you get to ride over the weekend?

Comment

• Mustang - I rode 2 days after the treatment and didn't really feel any difference. Then 2 days after that we had a lesson and Cupid felt phenomenal! Moving out super at the trot, promptly picking up both canter leads. Maybe just coincidence or partially in my head, lol, but my trainer agreed that it's about the best he's ever looked. Going to continue taking it easy (ride every 2-3 days, mainly in a stretching frame) but I'm feeling a bit more optimistic

Greys - I hope the horse shopping is going well!!
                  I remember my first few times hauling Cupid were a little nerve-wracking. It helps to have a camera back there though, because I quickly realized he just eats the whole time and is totally unconcerned!
                  Interesting thought about the feet. I think some of the things I've been doing seem to have helped improve the quality of his hooves (Farrier's Secret, and applying Durasole) but I was just thinking his soles were looking a little shelly, like some old winter hoof finally grew out to the bottom. He still only has front shoes because he can't go in the large turnout with hinds, and so far his vet, shoer, and trainer all agree that's fine for now but I do sometimes wonder how much hind shoes would help.
                  http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• TC, glad Cupid is feeling good! Sounds like he will be back to 100 percent soon. And great to hear about the good lesson. We have Jazzy in front shoes only as well.

Well, I finally tacked up this evening. Chico was probably less than thrilled. But we walked ten minutes, trotted on and off for about 8, then walked another ten, so easy ride. But poor boy looked pooped after his ride.
                    Love that pony.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoPictureResizer_190715_191216860_crop_1854x2559.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	10431922

Comment

• Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
                      TC, glad Cupid is feeling good! Sounds like he will be back to 100 percent soon. And great to hear about the good lesson. We have Jazzy in front shoes only as well.

Well, I finally tacked up this evening. Chico was probably less than thrilled. But we walked ten minutes, trotted on and off for about 8, then walked another ten, so easy ride. But poor boy looked pooped after his ride.
                      Love that pony.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoPictureResizer_190715_191216860_crop_1854x2559.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	10431922
                      What a cutie! That.face is just.begging for some cookies. Or carrots. Or apples. (Sorry I couldnt resist commenting)

Comment

• Thanks! He loves all the above...cookies, carrots, apples. Add in watermelon, and bananas.

Comment

• Originally posted by luckymaverick View Post
                          so what exactly does the extra hind "kick" do over the big sticks? Is it to clear the jump? Or to avoid touching poles? Or par for the course with jumps over 4'?
                          Lucky: Some of them just have a more loose open back and they flip up their hind ends pretty dramatically. Some of them wear back boots that produce that effect so you never have hind rails. It kind of all depends on the horse.

What a bummer about the boots... what kind were they? How disappointing, you really expect things to hold together a little better! I wish you had giant feet, I'm consigning two nice pairs right now.

Suzie: that's interesting what you say. I know in dressage when there is excessive tail swishing, it's a sign of tension. I think with upper level jumpers, it could be a bit different. The big jumper barn I was at had a sports vet come every two weeks. The really high end horses would get checked over quite frequently. Some of them were what I would call "spicy" in character. Most typically mares but sometimes geldings and stallions. And they would swish their tails on course. It was part of their flare. But I don't think any of them had back problems. I think most often, that would manifest in how they went undersaddle, or in resistance to certain movements.

PF Oh my gosh, I am MELTING for that Chico face. What a sweetie. Even if it was only a short ride, good for you for getting out there!

We had a really productive trip to Sonoma. One horse we tried had just the loveliest personality and for a big horse, he was really light on his feet. His front end is not super fast though. In the afternoon, we tried a pretty high performance horse that I feel was a real step up in quality for me. Very fast front end, super athletic but definitely on the spicy side. It felt like driving a Ferrari.

I feel like he's maybe a bit much for me, but if I kept him with my trainer through the end of the year and a few months of Florida, I can keep him at home after. Worthwhile investment for a really cool horse that's done some very high end shows and can get me out of trouble even over bigger jumps. So tomorrow I'll try my coach's horse and then we will decide. Hopefully this time we do better with the vettings.

Comment

• PF- love your boy! He's the bestest

Greys- I was beyond putout with the boots- I wish I had bigger feet and the height to go with it! I feel like a dinosaur wanting pull-ons, but I think I have to have them to accommodate for a larger drop to get a height close to fitting my short-ness. Man, your horse shopping sounds fun and productive! Is the faster front end desirable for the same reason you want a kick out in the back? Is it something you can teach or is it not worth it at the level you are looking at?

Speaking of horses jumping the big sticks, we had some sad local news. One of my favorite local GP horses, Duran Duran was lost to colic over the weekend. His rider wrote a lovely tribute- horse wasn't even that old.

Comment

• lucky, I didn't hear about Duran Duran! Love that horse. That is very sad.

A thing about pull on boots...I find them HARDER to get on with my bad ankle because I cannot flex that ankle as well, so it doesn't bend enough to get some pull-on boots on. Boot shopping stinks.

Comment

• greys, good luck with your shopping. Sounds like some promising candidates. Can't wait to hear more.

Comment

• Lucky I love the look of a pull on boot, so classy. But I have such weird dimensions, those zippers are critical for me.

The fast front end will help you when you come to a jump with a fair amount of pace and still jump clean even if you are a bit deep. You want them to be able to get up and out of the way to stay clear. We made a lot of improvements to Sandro's front end with bounces, but there are definitely limits to what you can do. All of it is geared towards being able to jump fast and clean for sure.

Comment

• TC - Whatever the reason, glad Cupid is on the mend! I hope you guys can still make it to some shows in the late summer/early fall.

Greys - Fingers crossed for clean vettings! I kinda like the spicy ones so long as they're just having fun and not being outright naughty/dangerous. Keep us posted.

PF - Chico looks like a total sweetheart. I'm sure he enjoyed getting out! Sometimes I'm tired after a fun day, too.

~~~

Just as the screw-in-hoof situation resolved itself, another issue popped up. Turns out my horse has a summer sore...on his urethra. I feel awful for him since I'm sure it's really uncomfortable. We can still ride him, but how much we can do depends on how comfortable he is on a given day. Because of where it is, he needs to urinate a lot...

The vet came out yesterday to clean the area (heavily sedated) and gave me some steroid cream to apply, in addition to oral ivermectin every 2 weeks. I purchased a sheath cover to try and keep flies off it, but I'm not sure how well it will stay on...and I'm sure it'll get disgusting in a matter of days. Anyway, I've heard these can take a long time to heal, so it's a little daunting.

I'm also wondering if the flies at my barn are bad enough to justify moving him somewhere else. The barn owner doesn't allow in-stall fans, and fly spraying my horse doesn't seem be cutting it. Any other reasonable barn options will be both farther and more expensive. The two best options are about ~15 minutes further away, and I'd be paying the slightly more for half training there than I am paying for full training at my current barn. I suppose there's no guarantee the flies at those barns will be significantly better on a year to year basis either (though their fly management does seem to be yielding better results than ours this year). Since I'm saving up for horse #2, and there's a lady at my current barn I'm hoping will start a half lease soon, I'm hesitant to move him unless it really becomes necessary.

Anyway....horses, right? Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

Comment

• Shoot, Mustang. Poor guy. Chico got one two years ago on the back of his pastern, and that was hard enough to heal. It did, though, with the cream my vet gave me. The cream itself has ivermectin in it, and it did do the job. But your boy sure has it in a sensitive area. Jingling for you and for him.

Why can't you have stall fans if they're the indoor/outdoor, fully-encased motor type? It really, really helps with the flies in the barn.

Comment

• Thanks PF. I think it's a few things: 1) she's worried about a box fan creating a fire risk; 2) she's worried that the wiring in the barn is old and wonky and having something plugged in and running all day will create a fire risk; and 3) she's worried everyone will want one and then her electricity bills will go up. How long did it take Chico's to heal?

Comment

• Mustang, probably number 3 most of all, haha. (If you use the right kind of fan.) I am thinking it may have taken at least 3 weeks? That's not to say there was improvement sooner. But complete healing maybe 3 or 4 weeks. But like with you, we were still able to ride. He still has the spot there, a scar I guess, but it's been good since it healed. No recurrence.

Comment

Working...
                                          X