Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

528KerwinHill-003-HDRInternet
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    That is a nice mare, greys. Yeah, the tail swishing gives her away. She looked pretty attentive and obedient here. Was she a difficult ride? Have you always had geldings?
    I really super want a mare. I get along with them great bc I'm already a bit more an "ask" rather than "tell" rider anyway.

My trainer is not super keen on mares. She got on her and the mare would not really go forward for the first few laps, lots of crow hopping and carrying on, my trainer had to get after her a bit.

I found her super easy to ride as long as you sat still. Probably the easiest of any of the horses I tried. If you were at all uncouth in your aids, she immediately told on you throwing her head up or swapping. But in addition to the tail swishing, there was some squirting . I can't have a randy mare at the private barn I'm at. There's a stallion and the owner's grandchildren. Those three in combination are not great. It's too bad bc she was an absolute blast otherwise.

Comment

• Yep, makes perfect sense. I have made that a personal policy at my place, too. Katie was my last mare. It was really hard to keep peace with 3 geldings and one mare, even though I loved her. She had her good days and her mare days. Under saddle was never an issue. It was always in turnout.

Speaking of Katie, I got another update from her new owner. She sent pics of her standing in a lake on a trail ride. I'm so happy her home is a good one with a "mom" that loves her. I also got several updates about TBG, and his new "mom" is so happy she bought him. She loves the grump, so I am so happy.
      "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
      - Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Hi Coth Re riders

Just popping in to say hello and try to catch up a little bit. I am still here, still trying to make do with my situation with PH, still ambivalent.

PF--That is such great news on Katie. You know you made the best choice for her and it must be so delightful to see her loved in her new home.

Greys That is too bad that the mare you liked did not work out as hoped. Horse shopping, like house shopping, can be so frustrating as well as fun when you find something that is almost but not quite. I know your perfect match is out there waiting for you.

Mustang-- hope your horse is doing better and stays on the road to recovery!

I have been travelling to stay with a family member who has been unwell. I am going to see PH in a little bit, and will see how things are. I have been to look at two barns-- both are nice facilities, but both had drawbacks that made me hesitate about moving-- I would solve one thing and unsolve a few more. So for the time being, PH and I will stay where we are while I continue to look.

I have had some decent rides on PH, and some lazy ones. Honestly, the nicest moments I have had with him lately are these:

I went up to see him one evening with friends, and just went out in the field to say hello. He ambled up, wanted some attention, hung out for a bit, and then ambled away.

Nice!

When I left him, just before I was leaving to travel, I said good bye to him at the gate of the pasture, explaining to him I would be away for awhile. Whether horses understand the words, or not, or have some other way of gleaning meaning, I do think at some level, something gets through. He stood at the gate, putting his head near mine, hanging out, being calm and soft. Instead of rushing off to his friends, he hung out with me a good 10 minutes. It was sweet.

A young child at the barn rushed up to him when he was tied. He just put his head down by hers, with the sweetest, softest, expression. (Yes, to all of the problems with young children rushing around barns-- those have been discussed...) He just adores kids, and is a saint around them. He would have made a great backyard horse for a posse of kids, swimming him in creeks, riding him several at a time-- he would have excelled at that life.

A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

• Sun, sounds like some good soon-to-be memories.
          - Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Anyone have any good weekend rides to report? I want to live vicariously. I miss you guys.
            - Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Greys - It's a shame that mare didn't work out, but your reasoning makes sense. Congrats on the trailer by the way! I like the Böckmanns but I'm not sure any of our local shops sell them. Yours is beautiful - love the colors.

PF - So glad to hear they both ended up in good situations.

Suzie - I think it's wise to give a horse the chance to rise to the occasion, so long as you're setting them up for success. Also, horses are so good at picking up on our emotions. If Stars' old owner kept treating him like a greenie, it's not a shock he kept acting like one.

Example: My trainer uses this fairly mellow older horse at our barn for lessons. His owner, who took a long break from riding, decided to ride him over the weekend. She was so tense and nervous and kept saying how "reactive" he was being. She would quite literally shriek every time he looked at something, or if he tripped. He does not act like this when beginners ride him, but then again, those beginners are more or less relaxed in the tack because they expect him to be a good boy.

As for watching videos of horses, I feel that a really good rider (or a rider who knows a horse very well) can make a horse look much easier to ride than it actually is. It's not always easy to see a horse's quirks, shortcomings, or training gaps, especially if the video is cut together to only show the highlights. That being said, I feel like I get along with a range of different "types" of horses. The more specific your type, the more important it would be to sit on a horse in person.

Sun - Aw, those sound like very nice moments! I hope you find a new barn you like soon.

~~~

Thanks everyone for the jingles, it looks like we're in the clear! We soaked and wrapped his hoof for 3 days. We did some easy rides throughout the beginning of the week since he seemed sound, with more substantial rides Thursday and Friday. He was a little stiff but seemed better as the week went on. Saturday I jumped him around a bit (he was *so* happy) and yesterday we had a nice dressage lesson.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ben 7.7.jpg Views:	1 Size:	12.5 KB ID:	10427056

Comment

• Yay, Mustang. Happy to hear the good news.
                - Oscar Wilde

Comment

• There's a great Facebook group called Adult Beginner English Rider (there may be one for Western too, I'm not sure) that is extremely supportive and has members ranging from complete beginners to trainers, but there are tons of re-riders.

Comment

• Sun Really glad you are having some nice moments with PF. It's even better when you can be in the moment and realize how sweet it is. I totally get you in the hesitation with a new barn. It always feel like when you solve one problem a whole bunch of new unknowns show up to the party.

Mustang SO glad your horse is ok. What good news, that sure did sound concerning. I bet he was really excited to get a nice jump school in. I LOVE the trailer. I had to get it from Canada, even the Texas dealer didn't have the one I wanted. I think I"m coming to the Sacramento Horse show this year, if so, I hope we can meet and you can take a look!

PF I had a funny ride this weekend. The private barn I'm at is sort of built into the hill. The arena sits on stop of the stable. There is a nice sand path that winds up the hill to get to the arena. Well after the earthquake, one of the heavy older oak trees fell across the path and blocked the way. I really wanted to jump that day, I set a new course. So I decided to walk Sandro up the back way, which is designed for people. It's super steep and paved with rubber pavers. Great for rubber shoes. Less so for steel shoes. Only when Sandro started sliding to get up the hill at the end did I realize what a stupid thing I had done. It would be hell to get down!!!

We had a great ride, I did the course once with it set low. I wasn't perfect but Sandro was great so we called it quits bc I don't love jumping without a trainer there.

https://vimeo.com/347141138

And then I had to get him down. It took us a good long time and was pretty scary. Sandro's hind end was sliding to his front feet and he was too scared to walk down. So I ended up backing him super slowly down the steepest part and then we reversed into a dirt patch and walked forward the rest of the way down. NEVER AGAIN! Absolutely idiotic behavior on my part, I felt like a terrible horse owner.

Comment

• greys, that was a great schooling session. You have come such a long way and are doing so well! Proud of you. As I watched the video, I was seeing how the arena was situated. That is very unique. And lovely. I see how hard it would be to get up there on a steep path. I know you feel bad, but really, it was a little lesson, in a way, on trust for you both! You made the best out of a difficult situation. Good for you. All's well that ends well. Hey, do you know your arena's dimensions? We will be having to build our next arena, and I like to know how big arenas are that I see jump courses in. If you know. Again, great job!

- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Okay, it's my annual announcement for my charity event (co-host) the Saddle Up for St. Jude ride and Silent Auction. Every year (this is my 12th year!) we collect monetary donations and also tack/clothing/etc. (anything horse related) items that we can put in our silent auction. The silent auction is actually our big money maker each year. We usually get about 100+ riders and more folks for the auction. So, if any reriders would like to contribute, if you have items sitting around collecting dust, I would be more than happy to put them to good use and help the kids of St. Jude Children's Hospital! I can only imagine what it is like to go through cancer treatment with a child. I went through it with my DH when we first got married, and it was very stressful. So, I really believe in this excellent cause. Anyway, if you are interested, just let me know! Thanks.
                        - Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Finally getting back to civilization after a fun time off in PA with the in-laws.

Greys- your arena setup is not my cup of tea, with the height and "into the hillside" part.

Sun- I'm firmly in the camp that horses get the drift when we talk to them. I swear Pony knows English, and she loves young kids too. From the ground. Sometimes for walk/trot. She does not suffer obvious inexperience lightly

Comment

• PF thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it. I believe the arena is 80 x 180. I would gladly give up 20’ of length for 10’ of width. It’s good practice to ride in a narrow ring but it really limits what you can set on a diagonal.

Can you PM the address to send items to, I have some things to send. I wish I had more.

Comment

• Thanks, greys! That arena looks much longer. It is really cool. Though I can see the challenges when a tree comes down.

Sent PM...thanks!
                              - Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Greys - I didn't realize they had more stock up in Canada. What do you think of the tack room? Is it big enough to store your trunk in for horse shows?

Your schooling round looked great! You always manage to keep such a great tempo and rhythm throughout the course. As far as the hill sliding incident - you both survived intact and that's what matters.

I would love to meet up at the Sacramento Int'l Horse Show! Let me know when you're in town w/ some free time. My barn usually goes to watch the GP class on Saturday night.

Lucky - Glad you got to relax a bit! You've been working so hard, fun time was well-deserved. Are you able to ride this weekend?

PF - Sounds like a great event. Do you have a link for donations?

~~~~

For anyone interested, here are the photos of the offending screw. You can see how much of it was inside his foot. Someone just found another one - looks like the same type - by the mounting block, which is concerning. Anyway, I'm grateful my guy recovered quickly and I came out of the experience w/ some good horse management knowledge. I've been lucky enough (knock on wood) to own horses for most of my life without having to soak and wrap any hooves along the way, so it was probably about time that I learned .

Attached Files

Comment

• Beautiful video, greys! That arena is cool-looking. Your description of getting up and back, though-- I loved the mare, by the way. What a jump on her. I've always had mares and get along well with them although I realize that a mare in heat can be an issue.

Mustang, that screw is looong! Thank goodness it did not go all the way in, although it did enough damage as it was! Glad he is on the mend.

PF, I will be sure to send some things for St. Jude. I know I have some stuff put away because I missed the deadline last year.

Sun, it's good to hear from you and catch up with PH.

Sky and I are going to Aiken again this weekend. Will give you a show update afterward. I'll try to take some pics this time.
                                  I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

• Mustang - Ow, that is no joke! Glad he's healing quickly, but a bit concerned about the frequency this is happening at the barn???

Greys - I thought you were going to say you jumped the fallen tree! You and Sandro are looking great!

Paradox - What great updates on Katie and TGH! Hoping you guys get a buyer soon.

We're still in a bit of a holding pattern with Cupid. He is not lame, in fact he was moving out about the best I've ever seen him last weekend, though looking a bit stiffer again earlier this week. (It's cooled down again, plus the day he looked great I got to the barn later then usual, after he'd already been turned out which I'm sure helped.)
                                    He got the FES therapy yesterday, which was interesting. She started with a laser to soften the area up, to allow deeper penetration of the FES. The FES is a pad that sits on his back and sends electrical impulses into the deep muscle tissue. Cupid stood still and seemed relaxed, but if you put your hand over the pad you could feel the muscles quiver in response. The therapist is someone my trainer uses, she hasn't seen Cupid before so it was good to get a fresh set of eyes on him, and she agreed that getting cast was a likely cause of the problem which is good news. He got today off, we'll do a light lunge and ride tomorrow.
                                    http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I do have a link! I just activated it today, so I need to finish personalizing it, but it is active. http://events.stjude.org/Paradox_Farm_Denise

Thanks! And thanks Dewey and greys for any items for the auction. My rerider friends are awesome.
                                      - Oscar Wilde

Comment

• TC happy healing for Cupid! Spa treatment, sort of. Should make him feel good.
                                        - Oscar Wilde

Comment

• P.S. Forgot to mention the StJ event is on September 28th.
                                          - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                                          X