Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

BB2

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can we have an adult re-rider support group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzie - Sorry to hear about your cows

Lucky - Pony is wise. My guy goes in a kk loose ring snaffle on the flat. I might play around with some other bits at some point, but I'm not really sure what to try. I heard Dressage Extensions lets you "rent" bits to try them out before buying them, so maybe I'll just order a few. I am interested in trying this one: https://nsbits.com/product/verbindend/.

Becks - Love the photos! Is your trip to Portugal purely a riding holiday?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20190429_202607.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	10383969
      lucky...this one's for you.
      My hopeful road to the 2020 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

• Hi guys!!! I apologize for being completely MIA for the past few months, I have SO much catching up to do with all of you. Admittedly, I haven't read back yet and the task feels a bit daunting....maybe this weekend I did see a couple of exciting posts....Lost, congrats on the new horse!! Dewey, congrats on a great first rated show and the adoption of Lulu, and Greys, your WEF experience looked incredible!! Welcome to all of the new members too!

Brief little update on my three....

Goose has been leased out to an older lady who is just smitten with him and having a blast hacking him around and taking him on trail rides.

Lucca is making me question my sanity in buying a green baby but she's making a ton of progress and we're definitely figuring things out and starting to click. She is getting 4-5 training rides a week and I'll lesson on her another 1-2 days. I adore her personality and willingness, she has an incredible brain and so much talent. It's just been a big learning curve going from Cash to her....but I'm super excited for our future. We're finally putting some lines together and we're able to do some small courses (trotting when needed!) but we are going to wait on her baby green debut until December....no rush, she was just started last August.

And good old Cash has been just a super star! He is now half-leased to a short-stirrup rider in my barn, she took him to their first show together and was Champion....they couldn't be cuter together. Dewey, I keep thinking of you but I'm also taking him to a big AQHA show next month in hopes of qualifying for the World show. Fingers crossed!

Comment

• Sugar- what fun updates! I'm glad Goose has a new person and that Lucca is doing so well. What classes/divisions will you try for with Cash-man? Do you do any of the "typical" in-hand stuff with him?

PF- you ROCK!! Love me some Bug Seriously made my day!

Comment

• ^^^ Sorry it's not more clear. I had to zoom too much. They did really well. Not a top placing, but a respectable one. I'm a fan.

Comment

• Okay, finally at my desk! It's actually tough being away from home for 6 days. We did TEFKAR (The Event Formerly Known as Rolex) and had fun. I really enjoyed it. And last year they added the GP jumpers on Saturday afternoon after XC. So I got to see an international GP, which was WAY fun. It's been years since I saw a big jumper competition other than online. Paul O'Shea (Ireland) won on Machu Picchu, Eugenio Garza (Mexico) on Armani SI Z, and Rowan Willis (Aus) was in third on Blue Movie. What fun. Ali Wolff (USA) on Cassall was 4th. Kent Farrington on Gazelle was 7th. LOTS of Irish riders! Seems like their whole team was there, and then some.

Of course the eventing was exciting as well. Oliver Townsend won again on Cooley Master Class. Boyd Martin was 2nd (yay!!) on Tsetserleg. Tim Price came in third on Xavier Faer. lucky, Lauren Kieffer took 8, and 9th this year (9th with Vermiculus. I was able to watch part of XC with a former olympian, which was fun. She wants us to start eventing with her when we move to KY, haha. Not sure how brave I would be, but it would be fun to play at the low levels.

Shopping was fun, but not overly rife with good deals. I mostly window shopped. I did get a semi-blingy saddle pad, though. DH got two saddle pads, new reins and a softshell jacket.

Spent time at "the center" looking at all the current horses. DH is on the advisory board there, so we know everyone there really well now. I have my eye on a horse there, but don't think it will work out until I sell TBG. That's where I'm leaning, selling. I just want to jump and can't do it with him. The other day on our lesson we were just doing flat and trainer had me trot over a pole just to keep his attention. He did it twice, then third time, he wouldn't go over. It's getting old. He really wants to be a dressage pony, and I want a more well rounded horse. Sigh.

Lesson on Friday. I think I'll have trainer ride a bit first so I can get some good video if I need it for sales purposes.

sugar, so glad Goose is in a good home for now and enjoying his new job. Sounds like Lucca is coming along, as well. Current pics? You'll do great. Can't wait to hear more of your progress. And we love Cash! (Are you coming to TN at all??)

Hope everyone is doing well. It's been quiet here!

Comment

• PF- so glad you had a fun time at The Rolex- I can't call it anything else I love, love Blue Movie. I was happy with both of Lauren's placings- her grey is stunning. Bug takes a good pic even with a super zoom. I truly appreciate the effort. Jingles for nice weather on Friday and for TBG to behave for his movie.

Comment

• Sugar -nice to hear from you! Sounds like all is well in your horse world.

I’m counting the days until we head to KY (5) to be reunited with Trainer #1 and G and watch DD show. Trainer #2 arrived in PA this weekend so I was at least able to spend some time with Remy and Calvin. The new addition should be in transit by tomorrow. A couple days in quarantine when he lands means he’ll probably get to PA just as I’m leaving for KY.
                  On a slightly different note, DD finished her degree!! She now has her Masters in HR Management. She’s looking forward to a little extra riding time!

Comment

• Sugar - glad to hear your 3 are all going well, I'm really interested in your AQHA debut! From what I understand that's a bit of a different world, good luck! And good luck to your Blues, hope to see you in Round 3

Paradox - Glad you had a good time at TEFKAR! I wish you the best with TBG, I know you'll make the right decision for you and I know you always find great homes for your horses.

Austen - Congrats to your daughter and good luck at the next round of shows. Can't wait for your new horse to arrive!!

Things are okay here - Cupid is recovering from an abscess so we've only done really light riding the past week. But trying to plan our summer calendar, looking into some clinics, shows, and just fun stuff!
                    http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Lost- congrats to DD on her degree.

TC- I hope Cupid recovers quickly. Can't wait to hear more about the fun stuff

Comment

• TC, thanks for your kind words. I do always stress about finding the right home when I sell. But in the end, I'm happy I do that. Speaking of new homes, I just heard from Katie's owner. She's doing well and enjoying a lot of trail riding and some log jumping on occasion. I did get an updated picture. That transition turned out well. Jingles to Cash. Hate those abscesses! Like lucky, can't wait to hear more about your plans.

Austen, congrats to DD!!! That's quite an achievement. Will she be looking for a job change, or is she in a job she already enjoys? Enjoy KY. We may be up there on Monday, the 13th and Tuesday the 14th. Hmm. Will you be there then?

Not much news here. I did ride Chico the other day, and he was an angel as always. I'm going to try to ride him a little more this year. He seems to enjoy it, and I know it's probably good for him.

We had rain on Sunday, so the arena was a bit of a mess yesterday. Hope to ride tonight.

Speaking of Previous horses, Nessie has a birthday today. I should email her owner.

Comment

• Lucky - We'll just be sticking with the working hunter classes, which is 2'6"-2'9" so exactly what he's used to showing in, but they did add a hunter derby so we'll probably enter that too

PF - I can totally understand what you're feeling with TBG and I'm sure you'll find him a perfect home. Good for you for listening to him and not trying to force him into a job he'll be unhappy doing. Such a happy update on Katie! Glad her new home is working out so well. Give good old Chico some carrots from me! How is the house selling/hunting going?

Lost - Aww congrats to your DD, she must be so happy to be finished! Have a great time in KY.

Cupid - Bummer about the abscess, hopefully it heals quickly so you can get on with your summer plans! Yes, the QH show will be interesting, but fortunately my trainer has taken a couple of horses to the World in the hunters the past couple of years and has reassured me that if we just put in our normal rounds we'll do well....so fingers crossed! I think the biggest difference is no warm ups....it's kind of like pony finals in that sense, you get one round and that's it! LGB!!!! DH is going to the game tonight and couldn't be more excited!

I ended up needing to buy a new saddle and I'm killing time waiting on it to be delivered today....really hoping it gets here before I have to leave for my lesson this afternoon since I'm dying to try it out. My Childeric ended up being a hair too narrow on Lucca as soon as she started filling out, and the balance always seemed a little off for me as well. Fortunately, my trainer's Antares fits both of my horses (and me!) beautifully, and the rep was able to find the same saddle for me relatively quickly! Most painless saddle shopping experience of my life!

ETA: It just arrived! I feel like it’s Christmas morning

Comment

• Woohoo, Sugar. Hope you love the saddle!

Comment

• Thanks all for your congrats for DD!

PF - we’ll be there Mon/Tues.! Just hanging out at our Airbnb on Mon (we follow the h/j Mon. barn closed, no riding tradition) but will be at the Horse Park for some of the day Tues. DD will stay where she is job wise - she’s in the HR dept. of the “family business”.

Sugar - for some reason a new saddle always feels like a new beginning! And, Christmas 😊 Enjoy!

Cupid - I hope Cupid is over the abscess. Sometimes they can be stubborn!

So, Ken (what we’re calling the new guy currently) will be in the Netherlands for a bit. The first flight available would have gotten him here just as Trainer #2 was going to a show. We didn’t think it prudent to take a six year old we don’t know to a show environment or temporary stalls. It will be at least a week until he flies.

Comment

• So PH had Albert as a weekend visitor...
                                I knew something was up when I went to catch PH-- he had been grazing far apart from his herd, and when he saw me in the distance, he gave a stealthy look over his shoulder and then galloped off to join in his herd. When I found him with his herd, I thought he was going to be in a hard to catch mood. But no. He painted a giant grin on his face and came sauntering up to see me, trying to act all nonchalent and happy as Larry. "Hi Mom. Sure is good to see you. No need to go over to those trees over there. No need at all. I have just been hanging out with the herd...these are my herdies..."

"You haven't stashed Albert in the woods, have you?"

"Albert? Who is Albert? Why would I stash Albert anywhere?" PH kept glancing over at the trees.

He kept glancing nervously over his shoulder the whole way in to the barn...and then proceeded to untie himself while I was getting his stuff from the tack room.

"Ummm...PH? Is there any reason you are wandering around untied?"

"Me, untied? Am I untied? How did that happen? How did I get here?"

"You weren't by chance, trying to sneak off to check on Albert, were you?"

"Albert? Who is Albert? Why would I wander off to the trees where I stashed him to check him?"

"Precisely..."

The effects of the weekend Albert visit showed in a definite lack of Werk Ethiks.

So PH has been enrolled in a week of Cowboy School. Where he is going to be ground worked, round penned, ridden, or whatever in whatever amounts is needed to turn him back into a Cowboy's Horse ( aka one free of Albert influence). My schedule still is awful, and PH has apparently been filling up his free time with having Albert come to stay.

So hopefully a week of Cowboy School will do him some good. He is looking forward to Cowboy School....I am not entirely sure he knows what he is in for.
                                A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

• Sugar- the shows with Cash sound like loads of fun!! Good luck and happy/safe rides

Sun- Cowboy school sounds quite interesting.

PF- glad Chico is being his super-wonderful self. Have you done the videos of TBG yet?

I like work and all, but I'm looking down the barrel of another 7-8 week run of nothing but werk, and no Pony time. I miss her and Fab!

Comment

• I can use some jingles please. Spy Kitty is sick. Went to vet today and they kept him for a few hours and gave him fluids and antibiotics. I picked him up and he is not better. He hasn't moved from where we put him on the sofa. Poor little guy. I will call the vet tomorrow.

Austen, I hope we can meet up!
                                    Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Jun. 10, 2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Lost - Ugh, that's kind of a bummer timing-wise but definitely better keeping him where he is until the show is over. I'm sure the wait is killing you though!

PF - Jingling for your spy kitty! It's so hard seeing your pets sick, jingles for you too!

Sun - Oh boy, he's going to be in for a rude awakening! Have fun with cowboy school

Lucky - 8 weeks?! Yuck! Hopefully you can find a little time to sneak away, even just to feed some treats and give some snuggles.

TC - Hope you were able to celebrate the big win last night.....see you guys Saturday

I'm in love with my new saddle, it's my first buffalo hide saddle and I'm obsessed with how soft yet tacky it is. Both horses have been excellent during our lessons, so I think they approve too!

We have the QH show coming up memorial weekend, and then head out of state the following week for an A show. We made a last minute decision yesterday to bring Lucca along too, figured a week long show would be a good experience for her. We don't have any real set plans for her yet, if she settles in well my trainer may take her in a couple of classes, and if not, we'll just hack her around the show grounds. Either way, I think it'll be really good for her.

Comment

• Sugar - Oh my gosh, I think I held my breath the last two minutes as the Sharks fended off that ferocious onslaught! Good thing too because I don't think I could have handled another game 7 OT!! The Avs played tough in defeat and handled it with class, they have a bright future. The conference final should be a great series, and whoever comes out on top will represent the West well. I'm rooting for the Canes in the East.
                                        Glad to hear you're loving the new saddle! And very exciting about taking Lucca to the show! I'm sure she'll handle it like a champ.

Paradox - Sorry about your kitty, I hope he is on the mend quickly.

I have some fun stuff planned for the weekend: I've scheduled a western lesson! I've rode western here and there but never really learned the finer points. I'm excited to try something different, and think there is always something new you can learn I'm going to take a few lessons on a well-trained western horse, then if it seems compatible with what Cupid and I are doing might try a few lessons with him.
                                        http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

• PF- jingles for Spy and hugs for you!

TC- how fun to branch out, can't wait to hear about it.

Sugar- yes, yikes indeed. I realize complaining about working 7days/wk is a total first world problem. I do miss Pony and
                                          hopefully can finagle a few rides before Labor Day Good luck with Cash-man and Lucca. Would love pics if you can swing it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X