• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Would anything ever make you stop riding (or jumping?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would anything ever make you stop riding (or jumping?)

Had an accident recently at a show. Pretty nice faceplant, no landing gear. Neck seemed ok at first but got worse as week progressed (biz trip prob did not help).

Anywhoooo, finally went to doc and he said same thing several people who know of the accident have said, "Is it worth the risk? What's it going to take to make you stop riding?"

Frankly, the doc is an orthopedic and prob sees worse injuries in football, hockey, and other contact sports. Wondering if he asks those others why they keep at it?

Is it me, or do people really see riding as riskier than other high risk sports? I don't know that I could ever stop riding. Am wondering what would make me give it up.

What would make you give it up, if anything?
    Last edited by abv1269; Sep. 23, 2011, 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling - darn muscle relaxers! LOL
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Today, part of the ceiling at work fell down about 6 inches from my head. A few months ago, a car crashed through a wall at a CVS that I was standing on the other side of (I was fine). Then 8 months ago, again at work, a coworker was standing in another coworker's office. A framed photo fell off his wall and ended up completely severing her achilles tendon. She's still on crutches.

Life is risky. Even when you try to minimize said risk.

That being said, I'd rather meet my demise riding a horse than standing around trying to decide what flavor Arizona Iced Tea to buy at CVS.
    The dude abides ...

Comment

Nope, nothing will make me decide to stop.

Do I stop driving cars (in CA traffic to be exact) Because I have been in 3 car accidents? No. I like driving. Honestly I think I have been involved in more car accidents than falling off of a horse.

It's a passion. Love it. Live it!

Comment

I had a terrible fall 1.5 years ago, landed on the ground line when my horse stopped at an oxer. I took 4 surgeries to "fix" my arm/shoulder.

Yes...I considered stopping. I was very scared to ride again. My surgeon didn't say yes or no to my riding again. He said, once it is healed, unless I were to land on it again in the same way, it should be good. However, it hurts. It hurts every day, and it's not completely functional. I now wear a riding safety vest every ride, probably a psychological crutch, but still.

But--I started back slowly and am back to jumping and showing. It is too hard to stay away. I felt like I was missing something for those months I couldn't ride. I love it, all parts of it. I think I'll always have the passion for horses.
        Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

I've had some nasty spills over the years, some my fault, some freak accidents. Luckily, knock on wood, in 30+ years in the saddle & in everyday life I have yet to suffer anything broken, other than pride, and a few painful bruises, and an elbow injury that is managable on occasion with steroid therapy.
          Would I consider stopping riding or jumping? At this point, no. I know my limitations, and no longer am young enough to climb on the real idiots, though I realize even the quietest mount can still be the one to hurt me. I plan to start my 4 year old mare over some small x's tomorrow, and don't foresee any problem, as she is quiet & willing. It's all a matter of knowing what you're capable and confident of, without overfacing yourself or your horse.
          Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
          Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Comment

I stopped riding/jumping when it stopped being fun. When the thought of what was required to get ready, get on, ride, get off, and put everything away and do the daily barn chores out weighed the enjoyment of riding. To be fair, I had no one to ride with, I was the sole support of several ponies, a horse, and a bunch of terriers and had no medical insurance. The thought of what might happen and what would result from an injury (being unable to support myself, drive etc) took even more enjoyment out of it.

Did I miss it? No. Do I want to do it again? No. I'm a been there, done that, kind of girl. Once I've done something, and done it to a reasonable level, it becomes well, somewhat boring, and I move on to something else. If suddenly I was able to have a horse property again, I'm sure I'd have horses. Which I would pay someone to ride, train and show. Please God let me win the lottery and become the next Rev. Dr. Betsee Parker! (w/o the Rev stuff please)
            ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
            Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

Well I'm back into "riding" again. Been away from this sport for a long time and was enjoying paying someone else to do the riding and training. It didn't work out so well. So had to get back into it. I will still pay someone weekly for lessons and to jump at shows, but will do the work at home. Plus I had my 7 yo mare doing nothing and it's good for both of us to do stuff. She's very limited in talent but if we can do the job well enough in the 90 cm's that's great.

My young jumping mare is five and although Heidi is 7 it's working 2 young horses everyday. This morning when riding I was thinking, at what point to I get to come out here and ride a really well schooled horse in which my only job is to keep them ticking over. I'm broke up from my years galloping horses. Most days I'm pretty sore and then I have to make sure I can be flexible enough to give the right cues. At the moment it seems like nothing but work and no fun. There are days when I get up and say right we are hacking through the fields and that's it.

Like now. Just finished riding and am having some toast. Horses were fed and ridden. The other horses needed some things tended to. My barn looks like a tornado went through it and I so don't want to do any chores! Yeah I know that's whiney! I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had paid help and I just got to ride and spoil them but wouldn't we all!

I've probably been on over 2000 plus different horses in my lifetime. I don't really think I'm missing out. And if my jumping mare wasn't a little bit talented then I'd be happy to let her be a well taken care if pasture puff. But it is nice going to a show and being behind the video camera when she jumps so I keep going. Just hurry up and be well schooled already, I'm not that limber anymore!!!

Terri
              COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Comment

Try seeing a doctor who works with athletes. That doesn't seem like a fair question to have asked you. I think you should consider finding a doc who will discuss the added risks you're incurring by riding without trying to figure out "what it will take" to get you to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine Cullen View Post
                  Try seeing a doctor who works with athletes. That doesn't seem like a fair question to have asked you. I think you should consider finding a doc who will discuss the added risks you're incurring by riding without trying to figure out "what it will take" to get you to stop.
                  Better yet, find an ortho guy who actively rides like mine does which is why I chose him. Plus his reputation as a surgeon among our local crowd was favorable.

He's surgically repaired both shoulders and an ankle and never once gave me a "why ride" lecture.

My last riding accident 4 yrs. ago was a horror out in the hunt field, leaving me with a fractured scapula, several vertabrae chips, fractured ribs and a punctured lung. I needed subsequent rotator cuff surgery on the opposite shoulder once I was healed from that wreck. My ortho doc came to see me in the ICU, shook his head and said, "Well, you sure effed yourself up this time. I guess I gotta get you back in the saddle before hunting season ends, don't I?"

I definitely am back out there doing it, however I have decided that I'm not hunting first field any longer. At 60 yrs. old, and after multiple broken boney parts during my 50+ yrs of riding, the body doesn't bounce like it used to and rehabbing back from a bad injury takes a long time. I'm more cautious in the risks that I will take, but still kick on for the most part.

I agree with one of the previous posters.....I'd rather die doing what I love than waste away in a hospital bed.
                  Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Comment

I'm pretty sure all docs ask if you're going to continue. I had a fluke fall and wrecked up my shoulder pretty good about a month ago. The shoulder has impacted my daily professional and home life since the fall, but it's healing. It does make you consider the thought of not riding again. For me, the biggest annoyance has been that I can't really ride again yet. I have the normal nerves about being in the same situation again, but from past experience, confidence is only gained by getting back in the saddle and building back up to it and beyond. There's something ingrained in us horse folk. (It's what makes us superior to the rest.) Pretty sure I'll never give it up. I may change what I do, as I have before, but I'll always find joy in time with horses.
                    Good luck with your neck. Give it time to heal and climb back in the irons

Comment

I cant imagine that I will ever stop riding but my neck has deteriorated to the point that jumping is probably over. Oh, I pop the babies over logs and Xs and little stuff but the rest - unless I get a new neck, is over
                      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                      ---
                      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

I quit riding temporarily when I was 21 after a bad fall where I wrecked my back (herniated disc, partially torn disc etc). This was just a fall on the flat, in fact I was getting on an OTTB and just as I sat into the saddle he took off bucking and I happened to land on a rock in the ring. Definitely was and still is my worst fall and wouldn't have been had the ring been in better condition.

That said, it hurt too much for me to ride, so I quit. Lack of money and time were a big part of the decision as well.

Picked it back up as a 36 yr old and I have to say I live in fear of falling off. I fell off a few times when I first started back, didn't get hurt, no biggie, but for some reason now, I will not ride anything green, will not jump higher than 2' 6" etc. (and I used to show for years at 3'6").

I guess old age and the addition of two kids who depend on me made me believe it's not worth it. But it's all in my head, and it's how I feel... everyone else needs to work within their own confidence and beliefs. I don't think anyone should or could tell me to stop, but I came to that conclusion myself. I know i'm too nervous now and am likely to create a bad fall with where my heads at. SO I flat now and every so often jump a couple of jumps. And I'm happy with that.

Comment

Just turned 43, and I know there will come a day when I hang up my stirrups. After a bad experience with a flipper about seven years ago, and then a phenomenal bucker about five years ago, I am much more timid than I used to be. I also work behind a desk, and my riding time is limited. Therefore, my fitness is limited.

I'm no longer willing to throw a leg over anything with four legs and fur. I can still ride the sensitive ones, but a good spook unnerves me far more than it ever did.

I used to joke that once I got this TB thing out of my system, I'd opt for a TWH or a good roping QH. Those days aren't so far off anymore.
                          Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Comment

I'm not as brave as I used to be after a few accidents but keep at it despite the reminders of my "equine assisted injuries". My chiropractor, massage therapist(s), physiotherapist, osteopath and regular doctor keep me going and don't lecture me. They also know I'm not going to quit. I am more careful now and am quite afraid of getting hurt. I was proud of myself though-did the farewell event this year at the local Horse Trials (they retired this year after I don't know how many years).

There are a lot of us in this situation aren't there?
                            "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Comment

I can't imagine giving up riding for good, due to some sort of physical or psychological injury. I can definitely see downgrading to a different KIND of riding-- maybe get me an old gaited trail horse under whom you could detonate explosives and he wouldn't flinch, and just totter around on trail rides for an hour here and there, or maybe even start driving a mini or something, but I can't imagine giving up horses entirely. I honestly don't know what I'd do with myself; I don't really have any other hobbies.

I think I'm just recently starting to realize that I don't "have" to push myself to the limits of my fears anymore. Sometimes it bothers me that I don't seem to have the courage I used to, and that maybe I "should" be working through those so-called fears that make me second-guess doing the things I used to do easily 10-15 years ago, but you know what? Why should I have to?? I don't show; I don't have a horse that I'm trying to train to re-sell. There's nothing in the world that says I HAVE to ever jump 3' again if the thought leaves me feeling queasy.

If my head was still convinced that, if you're not pushing your own limits, you're not really "riding," then yes, I could see where fear would lead me to quit entirely... but the older I get, the more I realize it's OK to be a weenie and just go with whatever makes you happy.
                              *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Comment

I cannot imagine giving up riding AND jumping (and competing )
                                My guess is that the only way I would give it up is if I physically was no longer able to do it. However I have been terribly lucky. After 13 years of riding (well I did have some time off during that due to my horses being injured) and competing up to 4' I have never had more than bruises from a fall. I don't know what I would do if I ever had a serious fall with a punctured lung or broken hip or something. I just pray that day never comes!
                                I don't however put myself onto dangerous horses, or at least rarely. I don't ride chronic buckers/bolters/rearers or anything like that. My love of riding doesn't come from fixing those kinds of horses. My love of riding comes from turning my horses into superb athletes.

Comment

I've had some REALLY nasty falls and some lingering problems (specifically my back) from them. All of my doctors tell me to STOP RIDING. Do I? Nope. It's my passion and I'm only 23. I get by with a steady supply of muscle relaxers and a heating pad.

I think at this point the only thing that would make me stop riding is if I physically could not do it anymore. To the point where I was in unbearable pain the entire time I'm on the horse. Then, I would probably take up some sort of horse activity that doesn't actually involve riding.
                                  Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                                  My equine soulmate
                                  Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

Would anything ever make me stop riding (or jumping)?

Yes.

Death (my own)-
                                    However, I hope there is an after life and I can continue to ride.....

Comment

I had a bad fall (when jumping) when my daughter was a baby and stopped jumping for about a year, figuring I'd stay safer.

Then I got bored. I started hopping over the odd small fence. Then I started sneaking over the xc fences that I came across while riding.

Now I foxhunt.

I am more conservative than I was when I was younger and the ground was softer but riding is so good for me (mentally) that giving it up completely would be difficult and make it hard for others to live with me.
                                      Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                      EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Accidents are sometimes hard to come back from... My daughter took a spill and it has taken her a couple years to get her confidence back. But she did get it back. She still struggles with it everytime she rides.

The only thing that would make me give up riding or jumping is if the horse I have now couldn't do it anymore. I plan to keep him for the rest of his life and if he needed to be retired and I couldn't afford to have two horses... then I would give up riding... maybe... or get a second job so I can afford another horse.

Comment

Working...
                                        X