• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Calling all Seattle area BB'ers...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Seattle area BB'ers...

Hi! I am having difficulty logging in under my normal screen name, Flyon, so I developed an alter since this is a time sensitive matter. I didnt want you all to think I was trolling...

Mr. Flyon, or Lilly as he is today, was offered a position in Seattle this afternoon. I am a little familiar with the pacific northwest, but not the Seattle area, or where to board my thoroughbred mare.
    I would appreciate any information you all can offer, I am relocating from the east coast.
    What are the good places to live? Good schools? And most important, great barns?
    I am a hunter/equitation rider, with a newly purchased mare who I plan to move up the the 3 foot with this year.
    Thank you in advance for all your information. I will be away this weekend and unable to check back until Monday.
    Lilly/Flyon

[This message was edited by Lilly on Oct. 02, 2003 at 09:57 AM.]

[This message was edited by Lilly on Nov. 22, 2003 at 07:48 PM.]

[This message was edited by Lilly on Jan. 20, 2004 at 08:04 PM.]

Hi! I am having difficulty logging in under my normal screen name, Flyon, so I developed an alter since this is a time sensitive matter. I didnt want you all to think I was trolling...

Mr. Flyon, or Lilly as he is today, was offered a position in Seattle this afternoon. I am a little familiar with the pacific northwest, but not the Seattle area, or where to board my thoroughbred mare.
    I would appreciate any information you all can offer, I am relocating from the east coast.
    What are the good places to live? Good schools? And most important, great barns?
    I am a hunter/equitation rider, with a newly purchased mare who I plan to move up the the 3 foot with this year.
    Thank you in advance for all your information. I will be away this weekend and unable to check back until Monday.
    Lilly/Flyon

[This message was edited by Lilly on Oct. 02, 2003 at 09:57 AM.]

[This message was edited by Lilly on Nov. 22, 2003 at 07:48 PM.]

[This message was edited by Lilly on Jan. 20, 2004 at 08:04 PM.]

Comment

Bumpkin...Hoopoe...help this lady out.

far as barns...I believe Nancy Green Free is your best choice for a full Hunter/Eq training set up...again, get in touch with Bumpkin for the real scoop including boarding barns.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.
      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

But I will take a stab at it.

Grab a map and take a look at the city layout and geography.

The number one secret for living in the Seattle Area is where is husband going to work?

It is a big city and inconveniently isolated ( surrounded) by water. That means commuting is challenging. That is the polite term.

Traffic here considered the 2nd worse in the US. There are only 2 bridges over Lake Washington so you have to plan and listen to commuter reports ( every 10 minutes) on the radio. The transit system is OK, could be better . If riding the bus is an option, consider it.

Most of the horse population is concentrated, like the people, on the near eastside of Seattle in Bellevue, Redmond and Kirkland. There are also barns further out in Woodinville.

Personally, unless you are a stay at home Mom and free to drive to the barn during daytime, off commute hours, I would focus on where the job is and how far it is to and from. I did a 100 mile commute for almost 6 years. Never again.

Nancy Green, whom F8 mentioned and Bumpkin loves ( justifiably) is waaaaaay south and east of Seattle toward Mr Rainier. At least 1.5 to 2 hours drive in the commute hours, from central Seattle or central Bellevue / Kirkland ( I lived about 1/2 hour from her and drove to the general area north and east of Seattle ( 50 miles) and it took me about 1.25 to 1.5 hours during the 3pm hour)

If I were free as a bird, inclined to jump I would work with her. I have admired her riding since she was a junior. Very much a class act. But plan on someone spending a lot of time on the road.

Nearer to Seattle you have Mike and Jennifer Crooks and Parkside stables ( sorry I am not sure of Jills last name now) both on Bridle Trails SP ( 480 acres of riding trails of wonder) I use to ride at the Evergreen facility (formerly owned by Mikes mother) and Kestral rides at Parkside. Both barns do the A system shows and both have been around forever. Centrally located, they might be a bit spendy and there is likely to be little to no turnout. However the advantage is the time NOT spent on the road. And did I mention the PARK??
        (Hoopoe loves the park like it is her own private Eden, which it is )

If I could live anywhere ( and housing cost here is high) I would live in the Bridle Trails neighborhood in Bellevue or Kirkland ( the park splits the city limits)

The schools around here range from some of the best to some not so good. There are many private exclusive schools to choose from and the public schools, particularly in Seattle sometimes have magnet programs in the sciences or languages. Being a non-parent I really cannot help you with that.

If I were going to live in Seattle city again I would consider Wallingford, Ballard ( ufDa) or Wedgewood. All three nice neighborhoods with a good mix of populations and attractive "neighborhood" feeling. I currently live in downtown Redmond and it is a treat that my new job is only 1.5 miles away and on a bike path.

Seattle is highly livable. We have almost no winter or boiling humid summer.

Winter weather report. Lows around 35 highs around 45 overcast with some sun breaks, chance of rain or showers ( you will learn the difference) 30%. Repeat daily for about 4 months. Only variable is the temp. Spring is here when it doesn't go below 40. In May it pretty much quits the trend then we enter our dry season. Anyone around here remember when it last rained?

When it rains here it is likely to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch in 24 hours. Over 1/2 inch is a big rain day. Over an inch unusual.

No hurricanes or tornadoes. Rare volcano earthquakes happen.

"Native" people, as a rule, laid back to the point of appearing aloof ,cold or rude. We just don't rile easily.

Good luck, perhaps pay a visit and get a feel for what is here.

_\\]
        -- * > hoopoe
        The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.
        _\\]
        -- * > hoopoe
        Procrastinate NOW
        Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Let me throw out a few more ideas of places to look. My knowledge of the H/J scene is pretty out of date, but lots of the same people are still around. Flying Changesis a good resource to anyone in the NW. If you are going to have to commute, I-90 is usually better than 520, and the 405 is pretty hideously bad.

I adore Bridle Trails (grew up riding at the old Central Park Stables, so I've now dated myself fairly seriously). Parkside is there, as are a couple of small barns. Lake Washington Saddle Club might be a good resource to help find people connected to Bridle Trails and the Park (I think there are a few people on this board with connections to LWSC )

There are some barns out on the Issaquah Plateau: Rockmeadow has a lovely indoor and some turnout, though it's all paddocks. Not a bad commute to there from the city, though better not during rush hour. Gold Creek is north of Redmond, but has quite a few options as well. Cedar Downs used to be south east of the city, and was a fairly large facility -- not sure about turnout there and it was quite a drive.

On the city itself (I'm not as familiar with the eastside), there are a number of great public schools with good programs (Roosevelt, the AP and Honors programs at Garfield, particularly in science). There are also outstanding private schools: Lakeside is north of Northgate and more in the prep school model; O'Dea is boys, catholic; Seattle Prep is co-ed, catholic; Bush is small, independent, and wonderful.

Seattle is a bit in transition: it's not the funky local place it was twenty years ago, but it's not quite sure it wants to be a big time city, either. Remember that this is a place where one of the largest political scandels currently going on involves a 30K donation to a city councilman's campaign. This is not a city of big time corruption. It's a pleasant place to live, if you don't mind the weather. And remember, real Seattlelites don't tan, they rust.

Comment

BUMPKIN?????

Well, in her absence I can recommend Gold Creek where she keeps Elliott, I have visited and found it quite nice for a boarding barn. Very high level of care and happy looking, fat shiny horses...no odors. Access to trails and multiple rings.

Also been down to see Elliott during a short stay at Nancy Free's..a wonderful full care AA show facility but she takes haul ins and short termers and it was about 40 minutes from downtown Seattle...not rush hour though. But I am from Los Angeles and seldom kept the horse less then 40 miles from home. Nancy's regular clients have some car pools going...most live in the Woodenville area...it's all relative.

You should find lots of help and some ready made friends when you move...I don't even live there and have met Hoopoe and am good friends with Bumpkin.

It's a nice place to live and great training and horse care are available.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

GotsSpots, I am an old CPS school barn rat. I was there when Mr W came. He use to scare me

_\\]
              -- * > hoopoe
              The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.
              _\\]
              -- * > hoopoe
              Procrastinate NOW
              Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Mrs B usually has a date on Friday night with Professor B so she should be around soon.

She knows everyone.

_\\]
                -- * > hoopoe
                _\\]
                -- * > hoopoe
                Procrastinate NOW
                Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Oh you are all so nice, thank you

Well I spent all of yesterday at the horse show up at Monroe, and sat with Bunny and Judi, (Elliot's breeder), I was pretty much weepy eyed the whole time as I kept thanking Judi for the Awesome Elliot.
                  I had not seen Judi since she told me about Elliot three years ago. So it was a very happy reunion.
                  Today the Bumpkinette had a small Dressage show on Mr Els, and they did ok, for a lazy horse
                  A 71.00, 72.50 and a 58.18 (Tired Horse the score sheet says....).

Hoopoe pretty much gave a great scoop about Seattle and surrounding area.
                  Let us know where you are planning on living, and we may help you further.
                  Also when you are coming for a visit, and some of us will meet you.
                  I have shown Batgirl around, and showed Got Spots my olde barn, and of course I am always here for Findeight and anyone else who wants to come visit....like BNH, Dublin, KML, Hoopoe....

Yes I love Brassring Farm, but it is 55 miles from my house, and Gold Creek is only 4 miles....so I commute with a trailer for lessons.
                  Otherwise El's is in training with M.Martin for Dressage right now. Per Nancy Green Free.

"Proud Member Of The I Love Dublin, Starman Babies, Mini Horse, Sunnieflax and Horse Boxes Cliques"
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
                  http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
                  [url]
                  Starman Babies

Comment

Hello... I've been at a show in Monroe all day. Let me know what your school interests are. My career has recently been in private school admissions, which includes knowing the public school districts. Once you have an idea where Mr. Lilly will be working, we can give you better specific info. If you let me know tonight, I can ask trainers tomorrow at the show if they have any space in their barns.

Comment

Check your PTs

Dressager
                      You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith
                      You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

Comment

For barns, anyway, I can help a bit.

-Parkside (In Bridle Trails) is very nice, but doesn't have much turnout. Only one covered/indoor ring, but has a great location and access to wonderful trails. FYI, Jill is no longer at Parkside. I think she moved to Potcreek? Not sure on details.

-Gold Creek (in Woodinville) has a wonderful indoor, two other nice rings, and pretty good turnout, but I'm not sure what's going on with training up there now. I believe there is a hunter trainer there, though. Watch out--traffic on 405 can be horrible.

-Potcreek (not positive on location) is beautiful, but quite expensive. Don't know much more. They have very successful show horses, though, so I'm sure the trainer's good.

-Evergreen (also in Bridle Trails) is a very nice facility, but I think it may be going all jumpers. Not positive on this--someone correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the hunter trainer may be moving to some foreign country and I'm not sure if she'll be replaced.

-Rockmeadows (in Issaquah) is a beautiful facility with a huge outdoor, a nice indoor, and another dressage ring. Turnout is ok--mostly paddocks like another poster said. Several good trainers to choose from.

-Holly Hill (blanking out on location here) is a very pretty facility, but I believe it is also quite expensive. Don't know too much more.

-Legacy (also forgetting location--near Potcreek?) is an ok facility. The indoor is kinda of weird and long, but the show horses are very successful, so the training must be fine. Also quite expensive.

Those are the main barns in this area. I have actually ridden at all of them at one point or another. My top choices are Gold Creek, Rockmeadows, and Parkside. Just be careful with Parkside if your horse needs turnout to stay sane.

Unfortunately, none of these barns are very near Seattle. I would estimate at least a half hour to get to any one of them, if you start on the Seattle side of I-90.

I can try to help with more info if you find one you like. PT me for more help!

-Caroline
                        "If I go crazy then will you still call me SUPERPONY!"
                        -Caroline
                        \"If I go crazy then will you still call me SUPERPONY!\"

Comment

Here are some links....

Potcreek
                          http://www.potcreek.com/

Holly Hill
                          http://www.hollyhill.com/

Hillcrest
                          http://www.hillcresttrainingllc.com/

Evergreen Equestrian Center
                          http://www.evergreenequestriancenter.com/

Tall Firs
                          http://www.emeraldequestrian.com/contact.htm

Legacy has a wierd arena because it was built as a private Saddlebred stable.

"Proud Member Of The I Love Dublin, Starman Babies, Mini Horse, Sunnieflax and Horse Boxes Cliques"
                          [url]
                          Starman Babies

Comment

Where are John Turner and Jack Hammond now?

Mike and Jennifer might be going all jumper. My friend boards with them and came second in all her classes at Spruce Meadows! She likes it there

The closest barns to Seattle proper are Parkside and Evergreen ( Mike and Jennifer, I know they changed their farm name to Stella Farms)

_\\]
                            -- * > hoopoe
                            _\\]
                            -- * > hoopoe
                            Procrastinate NOW
                            Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Hoopoe, Mr. W. scared me too. From my up-down days through to my juniors when Central Park became Park Place, I was always terrified that he'd find out I'd done something wrong with a horse! But I adored Bridle Trails: spent hours and hours trail-riding out there. When they torn down CPS, didn't they build a big fancy schmancy facility there? Is it still going? I remember going to a jumper show there once, but that must have been fifteen years ago.

Comment

The new stable was originally called the Hunt Club. It went through several owners one of them being a cast memeber of Northern Exposure, Maurice, and was a QH barn then.
                                Mitch Sperte bought it and named it Northstar, after his Arabian facility, and resold it to the former owner of Stock Pot soups and his wife again as an Arabian facility.
                                Mitch completely redid the place and it is/was gorgeous.
                                Simpatico Dressage works out of there, and Danielle Miller the Arab trainer for the soup people, (who are divorcing).
                                They have a hunter trainer there I have heard, and his name eludes me at the moment......

[url]
                                Starman Babies

Comment

Some other barns that have successful h/j programs what are on the north end of the Seattle metroplex: Sara Carter's True North in Snohomish, Jill Crosby's High Point in Monroe, and North Star Farm in Arlington.

Comment

Megan Pomeroy up at Northstar is one of the very nicest people around.
                                    Kim Krauss and Sara have a first rate facility at True North based out of Cathy Youell Langston's Clearview Inc.

http://northstarfarms.com/default.htm

[url]
                                    Starman Babies

Comment

Lee Dennie, Pacific Ridge, Everett.

Hoopoe - John & Jack, Thumbs Up Farm at Rockmeadow

Anybody remember the Nile Shriners horse shows at CPS.............geeezzz those were GREAT. And, the old "Flying Horseshoe" right to the East of CPS and the "little red barn" to the West, where the Hunt Club is now. The Hunt Club was built many years ago as part of one of the Street of Dreams.

Comment

Yup, my profile is a photo of me on Bumpkin in the AO's at a Nile show when VHV was judging.
                                        I saw my first horse show at the Horse Shoe in approx 1957

[url]
                                        Starman Babies

Comment

Working...
                                        X