• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Violence in the show world

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violence in the show world

I am a hunter/jumper rider who has recently (the last 3 years) attended Appaloosa Worlds and Nationals shows and the Reichart which is a Quarter/App/Paint show. I was very naive in thinking all horse shows were the same, until I started working for "top" pleasure trainers. I have seen more violence with these horses at one show than I have ever seen in my whole life on the A circuit H/J. I am just amazed at what these people do, just to get their horses to go around 3 times at each gate on the flat. Bloody mouths, bloody sides, tied around in the stalls all day, hung from the stalls to make their necks tired, injected tails with everclear...not even the half of it. I understand that it is a different discipline, and they believe this is training, but is there a point to draw the line? They say there is violence in all disciplines, but I just don't see it...

I'm a little apprehensive responding to a topic this "heated", especially by a first time poster (which makes me question your intentions..) but this is all exactly why I will never show a horse under saddle at ANY breed show. I've shown Hunter-In-Hand a couple times, but it's kind of pointless.

I was at a "good" barn for a couple years and saw things that still make me cringe.

Comment

I don't intend to create arguements at all, I was just hoping to open the eyes of people because I certainly did not know any of this even went on. I don't want to create bashing on the pleasure world, just so frustraited as to why this has not yet come to a stop...

Comment

Originally posted by rumorhasit420 View Post
        I don't intend to create arguements at all, I was just hoping to open the eyes of people because I certainly did not know any of this even went on. I don't want to create bashing on the pleasure world, just so frustraited as to why this has not yet come to a stop...
        Then why keep doing it for 3 years?
        Barn rat for life

Comment

I don't want to create bashing on the pleasure world, just so frustraited as to why this has not yet come to a stop...
          Maybe because people post about it anonymously on the internet after the fact, instead of speaking up at the time to someone who could do something about it, like a show manager or steward?

Comment

Very true...I was told to take pictures and show a steward? But it's also apparent that they know what is going on, because they have back-gate checks where they check the fake tails, the size of the bit, etc. And when one trainer gets kicked out of one pleasure breed for being too violent, they just go to the next...

Comment

Why participate if it is that violent/brutal..and why the h*ll are you working for a "top" trainer who participates in it...and you are implying EVERYBODY does it.

And what, exactly, is your point? YOU are in a place to say and maybe do something. We are sitting around at a computer and most don't even know anybody on those circuits let alone have the opportunity to go to the office and file a complaint with the steward or association representative or write a letter as a member.

I used to show breed-QH, Paint, Ayrab shows and did NOT do any such things (won LOTS). My friends who still show them do not do any such things either (win LOTS).

Kind of like the TWH threads...we can't do anything about it over in H/J land.
              When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I am a hunter/jumper rider who has recently (the last 3 years) attended Appaloosa Worlds and Nationals shows and the Reichart which is a Quarter/App/Paint show. I was very naive in thinking all horse shows were the same, until I started working for "top" pleasure trainers. I have seen more violence with these horses at one show than I have ever seen in my whole life on the A circuit H/J. I am just amazed at what these people do, just to get their horses to go around 3 times at each gate on the flat. Bloody mouths, bloody sides, tied around in the stalls all day, hung from the stalls to make their necks tired, injected tails with everclear...not even the half of it. I understand that it is a different discipline, and they believe this is training, but is there a point to draw the line? They say there is violence in all disciplines, but I just don't see it...
                You watched this for three years and now your response is to come on the H/J board of COTH and talk about it?

Since most of us on the H/J board have limited experience with or influence on the pleasure word, we might not be the best people to go to if you want things changed.

Very true...I was told to take pictures and show a steward? But it's also apparent that they know what is going on, because they have back-gate checks where they check the fake tails, the size of the bit, etc. And when one trainer gets kicked out of one pleasure breed for being too violent, they just go to the next...
                So you're saying that you did take pictures and show a steward? What was the response?

Comment

err...brand new poster with funky screen name and 3 posts, all on here, on a BB with nothing at all to do with Appy shows?

Think we are being had here. Trollish, don't give it a spoon to stir the pot with.

See a problem, be willing to solve it or be a part of it.

Comment

So that's a reason to do nothing?!? Then come on here and ask why it continues?

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                      err...brand new poster with funky screen name and 3 posts, all on here, on a BB with nothing at all to do with Appy shows?

Think we are being had here. Trollish, don't give it a spoon to stir the pot with.

See a problem, be willing to solve it or be a part of it.
                      haha. i just noticed the 420....
                      Barn rat for life

Comment

Originally posted by wcporter View Post
                        haha. i just noticed the 420....
                        You had me so confused, but now I get ya

We were all new once, but this is definitely not how you want to introduce yourself. It's hard to know where to post questions about pleasure classes and breed shows on this BB since there is no real forum for it, but H/J is probably the last one I would have asked this question on.
                        Southern Cross Guest Ranch
                        An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Comment

What is wrong with you people?????????

Oh my goodness CALM DOWN!!!!!!

Seriously, since when is "stirring the pot" a bad thing? Must a forum be only boring posts from oblivious people about where to find a barn in the states and regions with the most good barns? Is that how you self proclaimed forum masters want to keep it? Well you are crazy. Maybe the H&J forum wasn't the best place to put this topic, but do you all have to scream "BURN THEM AT THE STAKE" the second something controversial comes up? You do this all the time. I don't know the OP, so get over that excuse before you even try to use it.

Now on topic- I assume since you work for a trainer in this show world you probably don't want to get kicke out and have him/her bash your name? I'd still do something, go out and just tell them off straight up. Sounds very rash and immature, but how else will the wake up (if they even wake up)?
                          "The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die!"
                          ----> Pre

Comment

Originally posted by GoingUp...POP! View Post
                            What is wrong with you people?????????

Oh my goodness CALM DOWN!!!!!!

Seriously, since when is "stirring the pot" a bad thing?
                            Use thy search function, grasshopper. That pot was stirred (smoked?) a long time ago, many times over. No need to load another bowl.

Comment

Yup, this topic has come up many, many times on these forums (usually not H/J though). Use the search function to see what all of us have had to contribute to the above mentioned topics. But, really, you come across a little to "OMG! All these horrible people, doing horrible things and all I could do is watch...for 3 years!" Seriously?
                              Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

but this is all exactly why I will never show a horse under saddle at ANY breed show.
                                That's a broad brush I show at Morgan shows and quite enjoy them.
                                Stacy

Stacy
                                www.rushtonstables.com

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post
                                  Maybe because people post about it anonymously on the internet after the fact, instead of speaking up at the time to someone who could do something about it, like a show manager or steward?
                                  That sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by emgjoker View Post
                                    That's a broad brush I show at Morgan shows and quite enjoy them.
                                    Stacy
                                    Morgan shows are AWESOME!

Comment

Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post
                                      Yup, this topic has come up many, many times on these forums (usually not H/J though). Use the search function to see what all of us have had to contribute to the above mentioned topics. But, really, you come across a little to "OMG! All these horrible people, doing horrible things and all I could do is watch...for 3 years!" Seriously?
                                      I must admit as someone who is a relatively new poster and also not based in the US, I was a bit taken aback at the reaction to the OP too.
                                      Not all of us have been on this board long enough to know that this subject has come up before, equally not all of us are remotely familiar with any of the Western Disciplines other than thinking they look like fun.
                                      Therefore if there IS this level of abuse going on in this discipline, surely it's no harm to have raised the issue to one new person???? Instead of berating the OP?

It's like the Tennesse Walking Horse situation. Believe it or not, nowhere else really runs these classes, so it's only been through bulletin boards and the internet that the cruel practices that SOME people employ have been outed.
                                      As far as I can see TWH is also used in touristy things like parades - if more people around the world learn of the cruel methods that CAN be applied and choose not to support them, then it might just help to make an impact.

Comment

OP IS in a very good position to take action as a member of that association actually a witness (or so she says), we are not. This is a Hunter Jumper board and, far as I know, nobody on here actively attends Appaloosa shows- so we do not really "support" them anyway. TWH shows either for that matter. We mostly jump.

For those that are newer on the board...posters with very few posts who condemn a whole segment of the industry with outrageous claims of public and widespread abuse???? Usually not looking for any solutions or to educate anybody about a real problem. Trying to shock and maybe start a fight with anybody who wishes to defend that segment.

It is considered trollish to slam an entire segment of the horse community by accusing "everybody" of these dire deeds-while sitting and watching it in person and doing nothing.

If nothing else, this post about mostly Western horses at mostly Western shows should have gone over on Off Course. Somebody over there might actually go to Appy shows.

Oh, if there are TWHs doing "touristy" things and parades? Those are not the ones involved in some of their crap...why punish them and put them out of work?? Like forming an opinion of appys and their owners based on this train wreck. But maybe that was the intent.

Comment

Working...
                                        X