• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WWYD: Recently sold horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWYD: Recently sold horse

Ok....so I just sold a horse that my aunt and I have owned his entire life (due to financial and time restrictions). In the past 12 years this horse has NEVER had lameness issues. He might have had one abcess his entire life, and I remember him being sore for a few days after we tried a different farrier. I think the only time I ever gave this horse meds was when he coliced after a freak vet accident (too many shots at once). And we told all of this to his new owners.

All spring/summer I've been riding this horse to keep him in shape to sell. He was jumping 2'-2'6 and has never displayed soreness, lameness, discomfort, etc. So one weekend we had a few PBs out to look at him, and most of them said he looked a bit "off". The one lady (apparently did her own farrier work) looked at his feet and claimed our farrier did a shotty job, and he had recently had his feet done. He was not dead lame, and was just tracking his one hind foot a bit off. I continued to ride him and he showed no obvious signs of discomfort or lameness. The one PB decided to get a PPE the following week. The vet used is very respected in our area, agreed that our farrier stinks, but thought it was coming more from his hocks. They did x-rays and found "normal" looking hocks for his age and history (jumping, etc). Vet recommended hock injections, and was convinced after poking, proding, and flexing that was the problem. PB decided to purchase the horse.

I am friends with his new owner on facebook, and its been about a month. It sounds like this horse has been on stall rest since they've had him First they waited to get shoes on him, he apparently had a burst abbcess the other week, he is being unruly with the young girl, and now he is on two weeks of stall rest for a stifle injury?!?!? He is NOT that kind of horse that handles stall rest well. In fact he has NEVER been on stall rest before! Hes never had ANY issues before!

I just don't understand it. I'm obviously afriad they think we lied about him and are not going to want him anymore. We do have first right of refusal, but a month has not changed our reasons for selling. I just don't understand how he can be perfectly fine for us all these years and then go somewhere else and have all these problems This horse means so much to us, and seeing all these status updates on facebook makes me want to throw up, cry, and take the trailer down there with cash in hand! Anyone have suggestions, similiar experiences, or jingles?
    Last edited by HGem; Aug. 5, 2011, 08:39 AM. Reason: wow that was longer then i thought.....

Our vet typically packs the hoof with a paste to draw out the abscess, wraps the foot and puts the horse on stall rest. After the abscess is drained, they begin work to harden it up. Again, they wrap the foot and keep the horse on stall rest. So, at least to us, stall rest is standard protocol for an abscess.

Comment

It is not at all unusual for horses to get more injuries when they move to a new place -- I think often they have to break in the new farm, per se, and the new owner's wallet.

Comment

Given the horse was off enough for multiple people to comment on it when they went out to look, it's not surprising they're having issues, hock injections or not.

Often if a horse has one sore area, getting that fixed will change how they go enough to have another sore area. A stifle injury if he did something to his stifle is one thing - but stifle issues which are general issues are made better with work, not stall rest, and I cringe every time someone talks about how their horse has stifle problems so they put it on stall rest. Not going to help.

And of course a horse who hasn't been on stall rest before is going to be a bit unruly. It happens.
        Originally posted by Silverbridge
        If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

I sold a gelding when I was in college who had never had any real hoof problems, though he pretty commonly stocked up in his hind legs after a lot of work. I found out that after this girl bought him he started abcessing regularly. She never held it against me, he had no history of abcessing with me, but I always sort of felt bad. He stayed sound for her the rest of the time, but I'm sure it was just something environmental, could have been her farrier, where he was kept, how muddy his turnout was, who knows.

Keep in mind that your horse may just be adjusting to his new home and may be playing harder, thus injuring himsefl or appearing unruly. I wouldn't worry too much, since there isn't anything you did that caused these issues, I'm sure he'll settle in.

Comment

Suggestion? Stop reading her facebook. Or go buy him back. If she hasn't called you screaming that you sold her a lame horse, she obviously doesn't want to return him, unless you think for some reason she's afraid/embarrassed/worried about talking to you about acting on the first-refusal. He could just be adjusting to new barn, bedding, food, environment.

His feet are no longer your problem, he's not your or your aunt's horse any more. If she isn't calling you begging you to take him back, new owner might not be as upset as you are! There's no point in worrying about it.
            Author Page
            Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
            Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Were you friends with this person on FB before or only now because of the horse sale? Honestly, I would un-friend or block if you can that person so you don't see their status updates or any news about the horse that will upset you.

The horse is no longer yours. You do not control the decisions they make or options they choose. If they want to change shoers, put the horse on stall rest, inject the horse or not, etc...--that is their choice as the owner. You represented the horse as was at the time of sale, they did a PPE & they opted to purchase him. Things can change quickly in a month, especially if the horse's program changes.
              "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Comment

Originally posted by danceronice View Post
                Suggestion? Stop reading her facebook. Or go buy him back. If she hasn't called you screaming that you sold her a lame horse, she obviously doesn't want to return him, unless you think for some reason she's afraid/embarrassed/worried about talking to you about acting on the first-refusal. He could just be adjusting to new barn, bedding, food, environment.

His feet are no longer your problem, he's not your or your aunt's horse any more. If she isn't calling you begging you to take him back, new owner might not be as upset as you are! There's no point in worrying about it.
                Yeah, quit reading about your "not your horse anymore" horse on FB. OP, I think you're being a glutton for punishment here. Owner hasn't called you to complain or accuse you of lying. You have right of first refusal and a way to keep in contact with the owner if you'd like that. You have the best of both worlds right now. Enjoy it.
                The armchair saddler
                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Really, this is why I strongly believe once I sell, I don't want to know any more. Give yourself an ulcer, worrying like that.
                  Author Page
                  Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                  Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Yep, stop reading about it. You can do that without "unfriend-ing" the buyer and causing possible issues that way (wow FB can be a touchy place!). Just "hide" the updates.

Once the horse is gone, it's gone.
                    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys! Yeah, I guess I need to block her news feeds. She does message me a couple times a week to give me updates. At first I thought it would be awesome to get updates on him. But I SURELY was not expecting updates like this!

I'm glad to hear it is semi-normal for a horse to go through a rough adjustment more so then just a psycological one. I can't help but be sentemental, I literaly grew up with this horse. He was my best friend and I saw him almost every day for 12 whole years.

Thanks for the tough love

Comment

Originally posted by HGem View Post
                        I am friends with his new owner on facebook, and its been about a month. It sounds like this horse has been on stall rest since they've had him First they waited to get shoes on him, he apparently had a burst abbcess the other week, he is being unruly with the young girl, and now he is on two weeks of stall rest for a stifle injury?!?!?
                        Could be totally unrelated to any issues that the horse had before he left your property.

One of the things I know about horses for sure is: If they can find a way to commit suicide, they will.

Comment

Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post
                          It is not at all unusual for horses to get more injuries when they move to a new place -- I think often they have to break in the new farm, per se, and the new owner's wallet.
                          Boy, ain't that the truth. Same goes when buying cars and houses. New owners do things differently and sometimes stuff breaks, gets fixed, and after a bit, everyone adjusts.

Cut the connection. It would give me an ulcer too. Of course, you care very much for this horse -- but you cant' move on until you let go.

Comment

Working...
                          X