Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

BarnApartmentFront
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Custom trunks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom trunks?

Looking at McGuinn, Phoenix West, and Oakcroft.

Any thoughts? Looking for best quality at best price.

Thanks!
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

McGuinn's are bulletproof, so factor that in to your decision. You get what you pay for, even though it's more expensive in the beginning.

Comment

McGuinn's!!!! I love Love LOVE my trunk! My parents bought it for me as a junior and it has held up the last 12 years or so beautifully. I look forward to the day I can justify getting a second one with my married name on it

Comment

I have travel trunks from Georgetown Stable Outfitters. They are wonderful and practical. I think they also carry a fancy stable colors trunk, I don't know the name of the maker. Their travel trunks come in custom sizes with wheels and a handle and are very durable.
        http://STA551.com
        845-363-1875

Comment

Originally posted by STA View Post
          I have travel trunks from Georgetown Stable Outfitters. They are wonderful and practical. I think they also carry a fancy stable colors trunk, I don't know the name of the maker. Their travel trunks come in custom sizes with wheels and a handle and are very durable.
          I am the new Southeast rep for the company and would be happy to answer any questions the OP has about these trunks if they would meet her needs. We do the travel trunks and wooden trunks; no vinyl ones like McGuinn, which is who I would go with out of the three if you need to match a barn setup. I know you weren't asking for a sales pitch so I will refrain, but if you're interested, please let me know. I am very excited about the product!
          -Grace

Comment

I have all three of the trunks you mention... and hands down, the McGuinn is my favorite. There is a definite difference in quality/durability, especially compared to the Phoenix West, which is definitely not as well made as the McGuinn. I've had my McGuinn trunk for a long time, and it still looks like new. They do a great job on the "details" - like a nice interior finish, all the hinges work well, etc.

I have to say I do also really like my Oakcroft trunk, but it's the premier line (brass trimmed wood) so was comparable in price to the McGuinn. I also should point out that I've had really excellent customer service from Oakcroft. I had had my O. trunk for maybe two years when someone unfortunately moved it into range of a fellow boarder's horse, who proceeded to entertain himself by scraping his teeth across the lid, badly damaging it. I was really upset about it, and called Oakcroft to see about getting a replacement lid. They were incredibly nice about it, and had me send a shard of the damaged lid to them so they could match the stain on the rest of the trunk exactly - which they did.

Happy shopping!
            We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
            -PaulaEdwina

Comment

My building contractor built me a custom tack trunk (Baltimore, MD) it is gorgeous, huge and he charged me $500. He placed the bandage "rack" on the side rather than the lid so the lid was not too heavy and always falling down....

Comment

Wood or vinyl? My friend's dad makes GORGEOUS custom wood ones that are super reasonable. He recently sold out of everything he brought to the Warrenton Pony show a couple weeks ago.
                Rosall
                Roll Tide
                The Vixen
                Magic City

Comment

I know someone who got her trunk through Sawhorse Tack Trunks and was more then pleased.

http://www.sawhorsellc.com/Sawhorse_...ssentials.html

Comment

McGuinns are well-built and heavy. I wouldn't worry about heavy as moving a full-size trunk is usually a two-person affair unless you are clever and determined.

If you want vinyl-sided, your other consideration is the company's ability to work with you to get exactly what you want. IMO, the whole point of getting a tack trunk is to get personal with the artwork. I believe you can buy directly from McGuinn. The others sell through tack store reps. Like stores who measure for custom boot-makers, not all are created equal! It's a huge investment, so interview your ordering store carefully. If their eyes get big or start rolling at your requests, this may not be the "middle man" for you. After you get your pattern and specs, the company will keep your "barn" on file so that the other custom stuff you buy later will match.

Even if you want plain wood, do your homework with the company in order to figure out what they can build or usually build. Look around at their options, notice how you like to work out of a trunk, and then ask for what you want in your very expensive box. You only want to buy a trunk once, so you might as well be just what you want!

And I'll have you nay-sayers know that my 22-year-old Phoenix West, built by them when they were Warners is going strong. It's not finished on the inside (something I might do if I were buying again), but I also keep my trunks on stands, so I don't have a problem with dampness. IMO, the stand is key. Dirty laundry and leather articles buried in the bottom of the trunk are other no-nos.
                    The armchair saddler
                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post

And I'll have you nay-sayers know that my 22-year-old Phoenix West, built by them when they were Warners is going strong. It's not finished on the inside (something I might do if I were buying again), but I also keep my trunks on stands, so I don't have a problem with dampness. IMO, the stand is key. Dirty laundry and leather articles buried in the bottom of the trunk are other no-nos.
                      mvp, as usual, makes some great points.

I had a Warner's trunk, years ago, and it was very well made. Sadly I do not think the Phoenix West trunks - even though they were made by the employees who staffed Warners, after the fire destroyed that company - are comparable.

I do agree that having a good saddle stand is a very good idea, and helps protect your investment. I personally like the lightweight (aluminum?) ones, but even standard blocks of wood seem to work fine.
                      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Originally posted by gotrocks View Post
                        Wood or vinyl? My friend's dad makes GORGEOUS custom wood ones that are super reasonable. He recently sold out of everything he brought to the Warrenton Pony show a couple weeks ago.
                        Saw his trunks there! First off, what a nice man. Second, the trunks were gorgeous, and third, great prices. I am not surprised he sold out. Hope he comes back in the fall...

Comment

Oakcroft

The owners of Oak croft are exceptionally nice people who make customer service a top priority. I knew them way back during the inception of the business, when our horses were boarded at the same facility. They felt they could raise the standard for quality and service. 13/14years later my trunk is going strong!

Comment

I also own all three manufacturers and HANDS DOWN my 28 year old McGuinn trunk is the best. My Oakcroft is beautiful but I have no desire for it to get dinged up by hauling it to shows. I changed panels on my McGuinn's about 10 years ago and it still looks brand new. Well worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                              My Warners is 17 years old. It is pretty much identical to the girls in the barn that have ordered theirs in the last 1-5 years. I can't say I've noticed a real decline in quality, but we keep our trunks with covers on when not at shows, and always on stands.

I have to say, it does seem that mine is fairly indestructible. It's been tumped out of wheelbarrows, cartwheeled to the ground, flipped over, set back on (at least 4 times), and dropped.
                              My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

Comment

I have an Oakcroft and it is about 7 years old now. It still looks new but it has wheels so it is off the ground and lives in a cover. The only con I have noticed with my friends' trunks and mine is that the lid tends to shift and eventually not shut. We fixed this by tapping on mine with a rubber mallet.

Also, we didn't get my trunk to come with wheels but bought them at Home Depot instead so they could be heavier duty. Even with the trunk filled it is pretty easy for me to move by myself. Mine i vinyl sided and the large show trunk version.
                                Oh Sweetheart
                                Make A Splash
                                The Adventures of a College Equestrian

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
                                  I had a Warner's trunk, years ago, and it was very well made. Sadly I do not think the Phoenix West trunks - even though they were made by the employees who staffed Warners, after the fire destroyed that company - are comparable.
                                  Originally posted by Hattie View Post
                                  I also own all three manufacturers and HANDS DOWN my 28 year old McGuinn trunk is the best. My Oakcroft is beautiful but I have no desire for it to get dinged up by hauling it to shows. I changed panels on my McGuinn's about 10 years ago and it still looks brand new. Well worth the money.
                                  I have a Warners and a Phoenix West. I haven't noticed a pre- and post-fire difference in quality.

Ergo, I challenge y'all to a throw down. Clear out your long-bed trucks and let's have a tack trunk rally. I want to see these specimens in direct comparison.
                                  The armchair saddler
                                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by gotrocks View Post
                                    I got my saddle and bridle racks from him. Beautiful stuff!! I wish he would come back to Ocala

One of my boarders has a McGuinn trunk. Really nice too!!

Comment

I just bought a used Phoenix West trunk and its in pristine condition! However, it had been stored on a stand, with both a cloth and vinyl cover. However, its quite lovely and I wouldn't hesitate to buy that brand again.

Comment

I'm going to buck the trend of going for the big name manufacturers and suggest a local guy who ships all over the country.

His stuff is absolutely gorgeous, unique and he will incorporate your ideas. He has loads of pictures of trunks on his website.

Several of my long distance buddies ordered from him and the shipping cost was not bad, especially when you see how reasonable his prices are.

Just sayin'--sometimes the small businessman offers something special.

http://birdsongtacktrunks.com/
                                        Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Comment

Working...
                                        X