• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone know this pony?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WendellsGirl;3203285]Oh! That breaks my heart she was that beautiful so recently!
    So beautiful and probably so pampered. She must have been wondering, "What happened??" I am so happy she has ended up in a safe place. What an awesome story.
    ***There is no question that that is the same pony.

Comment

I, also, am sure it is the same pony. I wonder who the breeder was.
      This is so cool that she has been identified.
      Sandy
      www.sugarbrook.com
      hunter/jumper ponies

Comment

wow that is DEFINITELY her - the amazing powers of COTH strike again!!!! I am so happy you found out who she is and so sad that she had a tough time of it. I hope you find her former owners!

What a miracle...

Comment

Could you find the owner, trainer or rider by looking up old show results in Texas?
          I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

is the same Lucky for Me thats recorded in the USEF as being owned by Emily Torcivia until 2004 and then Kelly McDonald in 2007? Looks like she was doing large children's ponies pretty successfully on the east coast A circuit with Emily, then there's a gap of 3 years and she's doing short stirrup with Kelly at least at one show in May 2007 in NJ.

How old is the injury? Readng this makes me wonder if she had her injury with Emily and then this Kelly girl got her and they tried to bring her back to work? Just throwing out wild thoughts but the three year gap in her show results is interesting.

Comment

• Original Poster

Just throwing out wild thoughts but the three year gap in her show results is interesting.
              I thought the same thing. It seems that the pony was shown pretty extensively up and down the east coast up until 2004. Maybe someone here knows her rider from that time. The vet thought the injury was at least a year old, but it could have been older. I too wondered if her last owner was trying to bring her back after injury.

Comment

• Original Poster

I think she may have come from Knightsbridge Farm in Atlantic Highlands, NJ. I can't seem to find a website for them but did find a farm listing.

Comment

So happy that you found your way into this pony's life and she found her way into yours.

As a breeder I worry about what happens to my ponies. I have kept track of all but one.

I have bought a number of half welsh ponies that were not registered but the stallion report was submitted. The stallion owners were happy to hear from me, but some of the original owners were not.

Good job to you and all the other posters.
                  Regards,
                  Jeanne
                  [URL="http://rygarhorsetransport.com"]http://rygarhorsetransport.com[/URL

Comment

I sent a message to Emily through Facebook directing her here. Maybe she'll respond.

Emily just responded and is hopefully headed here.
                    He heard the low voice of mercy, not the loud acclaim of glory.

Comment

I think I know this pony

If you are talking about the pony Lucky for Me, I used to own her. I had her for about three years and she was the best pony I ever had. Shes dark bay with a white blaze and shes probably about 19 years old now. Yes, she is currently retired now but shes in a great place. I used to ride her at Knightsbridge Farm in Middletown, NJ. She stayed there for a few years after I sold her to a younger girl, but her right hind hoof was not doing to well. Its a shame because she was a great pony. She was a hack winner and beautiful jumper. If you guys have any questions you can always ask, but I know this is the pony you were all talking about and i owned her when she was about 13.

Comment

Looks like she's foundered and that's likely to be a severe problem.

I see you've managed to track down who the pony is. It also seems that the previous poster was unaware the pony had been moved on again.

It always seems sad to me that a pony that's given so much ends up left to take its chances once its no longer serviceable. If indeed the pony has been moved on and sold in breach of an agreement to provide a long term retirement home, then I sincerely hope the OP or the previous owner will call him to account either with litigation for breach of contract or by ensuring adverse publicity to avoid others falling into the same trap.

Glad its found a decent home but its looking like its going to need some pretty good farriery and remedial work to make its feet more comfortable.
                        Last edited by Thomas_1; May. 11, 2008, 11:09 AM. Reason: back as I've just read the whole posting....

Comment

Looks like the same pony to me as well. When you showed your short video clip, I thought, wow what a classy little pon-pon! Good for you for stepping up and helping her out, it makes me sick to think of this happening to any of mine. I'd be curious to see whether or not the old owners would want her back and would be willing to retire her for real this time.

Comment

Looks like the "great retirement place" turned out not-so-great.

Glad this sad story has such a happy ending!

Comment

Originally posted by Etorcivia View Post
                              Yes, she is currently retired now but shes in a great place.
                              You might want to check on that "great place" based on what the OP said

It makes me wonder - how many other horses were retired to this guy???
                              "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
                                Looks like she's foundered and that's likely to be a severe problem.

I see you've managed to track down who the pony is. It also seems that the previous poster was unaware the pony had been moved on again.

It always seems sad to me that a pony that's given so much ends up left to take its chances once its no longer serviceable. If indeed the pony has been moved on and sold in breach of an agreement to provide a long term retirement home, then I sincerely hope the OP or the previous owner will call him to account either with litigation for breach of contract or by ensuring adverse publicity to avoid others falling into the same trap.

Glad its found a decent home but its looking like its going to need some pretty good farriery and remedial work to make its feet more comfortable.
                                Ditto...what he said. Unfortunately the "great place" turned into being given away. Lucky was truly just Lucky that she found the OP or it could have been a much sadder ending.

Comment

Retirement of ex racehorses and show horses is one of the dilemmas that all owners face and many people get truly scammed. Their fancy WEF winners have ended up at slaughter houses when the owners thought they were living the good life in a big grassy field. Lucky is truly a lucky horse.

I am not advertising because I am full, but, having retired my last 2 show horses and a race horse or two for my mother, I realized how fortunate I was to have a farm, and have begun to retire horses for others.

All these lovely braided and shiny horses have to go somewhere to live out their days. It would kill me to not be able to keep control over my boyz.

People who have to rely on third parties, please realize that, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Make sure you know who is going to be in control of your lovely horse.

Kudos to the OP for saving Lucky. I hope the man she got him from gets what is coming to him.
                                  "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Helpus View Post
                                    Retirement of ex racehorses and show horses is one of the dilemmas that all owners face and many people get truly scammed. Their fancy WEF winners have ended up at slaughter houses when the owners thought they were living the good life in a big grassy field. Lucky is truly a lucky horse.

I am not advertising because I am full, but, having retired my last 2 show horses and a race horse or two for my mother, I realized how fortunate I was to have a farm, and have begun to retire horses for others.

All these lovely braided and shiny horses have to go somewhere to live out their days. It would kill me to not be able to keep control over my boyz.

People who have to rely on third parties, please realize that, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Make sure you know who is going to be in control of your lovely horse.

Kudos to the OP for saving Lucky. I hope the man she got him from gets what is coming to him.
                                    You are so very true in what you just stated. So many of these past winners end up in slaughter instead of living out their glory days in retirement fields. I am so thankful I have the ability to keep my older ponies and horses. Right now I look out my house window and look at my 18 year old daughter's 26 year old retired Medium Division Pony. That pony was 2nd in the nation in the Greens in her younger years and my daughter has had her since she's been 12 and she's now 18. My daughter now has her slew of WB's but everyday she finds the time to dote on that pony.
                                    Experienced riders are not prone to brag. And usually newcomers, if they start out being boastful, end up modest. -C.J.J. Mullen

Comment

• Original Poster

come back please!

etorcivia - come back! come back! I would love to have the details of her injury. Please tell me everything that you know or help me get in contact with those that do know. I'd sent you a pm yesterday but am wondering since you just joined coth if you are still figuring out the bb... I know I am even though I've been reading for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Helpus View Post
                                        Retirement of ex racehorses and show horses is one of the dilemmas that all owners face and many people get truly scammed.
                                        In truth I think a lot of folks don't actually care..... Out of sight, out of mind. They're clearly receptive to being scammed and not properly checking out the establishments and clearly not ensuring that what is supposed to happen is happening.

Me too. Call me old fashioned but I just don't like this throw away, commodity market mentality whereby you finish with it and then just pass it on.

Comment

Originally posted by ponymamawithkids View Post
                                          etorcivia - come back! come back! I would love to have the details of her injury. Please tell me everything that you know or help me get in contact with those that do know. I'd sent you a pm yesterday but am wondering since you just joined coth if you are still figuring out the bb... I know I am even though I've been reading for years.
                                          If she doesn't come back here, you can track her down thru Facebook like the other poster did. Or, get that poster to help you track her there.

Good luck -- I'm really glad the pony ended up with you. Really maddening if that man who did the 'permanent retirement' set up is scamming people. Poor pony. Yes, lucky now, but how unfortunate for her to have given such great years then to end up in such an uncertain situation unbeknownst to her owners who probably thought they were doing a good thing for her.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Comment

Working...
                                          X