• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Am I crazy for not wanting to ride?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I crazy for not wanting to ride?

I don't know, maybe it's the heat in the upper 80s, or the fact that my mare still isn't as broke as I would like and tries to challenge me from time to time (nothing dangerous, just oh I think I'll go like a Mack truck today instead of the dainty mare you've been teaching me to be), or the fact that I have spent so much time at the barn up until now that I'm finally realizing everything at home is piling up waiting for me to take care of it. But I am 10 weeks pregnant with only 2 weeks left to ride (under my doctor's orders) and I am not motivated at all this week to do it. I even have a clinic scheduled for Friday, with Steuart Pittman who spent 30 days training my horse in April, and I just e-mailed him to basically tell him I want him to ride instead of me. I normally love my horse despite her flaws, and want nothing more than to rush to the barn, yet I'm sitting at my desk in the AC stalling right now. Has anyone else ever gone through a phase like this? Hopefully I'm just temporarily insane due to other distractions

ugh I hear ya. But I'm not pregnant. I think its the heat. Just so hard to get motivated. I am waiting until a few hours to ride hoping it will cool down. We will see if I get out there. My horses are in my backyard. I have 2 to ride and one that needs to be backed yet. I think I feel so pressured to ride that sometimes I just don't, and it takes me a while to realize that its ok if I don't ride. The horses won't mind and we don't have the Olympics coming up anytime soon
    Derby Lyn Farms Website

Derby Lyn Farms on Facebook!

Comment

You aren't crazy but you may need to change your user name!

I hear you though! Its been over 100 degrees here EVERY DAY (heat index around 110+), and it is hard to be motivated to ride. What is even worse, I teach lessons during the more ideal times of day- early AM and late PM, so I get the crappy ride times.

Comment

I know how you feel and im not even pregnant! It is seriously hard to get my butt outside to ride. I have once a week lessons, so I always get out there for that, but the other days are a struggle.

Dont worry about it too much. Dont force yourself to ride the next two weeks just because you wont be able to after that. I keep telling myself that riding is supposed to be my FUN HOBBY! If I dont feel like doing it, I shouldnt have to. I have loads of other things that I NEED to do....mow the lawn, laundry, work, weeding, feeding all of the animals, cleaning stalls.
        Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
        White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

the heat sucks. I had a lesson last night and on my way to the barn, my car temp gauge read 103 degrees. Needless to say, I wasn't in a great headspace being all grumpy from the heat and that translated into a really blah lesson.

So don't go because you feel obligated, it probably will just leave a bad taste in your mouth if things don't go as planned.

Or, if you feel like you REALLY have to get out there, just groom and turnout or something. I will do that on the days where I know I won't be feeling the ride and it makes me feel like I at least got a little something accomplished.

Comment

Yep! I'm not pregnant (at 49, I'd better not be!), but I've been having trouble getting motivated too. The heat certainly has something to do with it, plus kids out of school and crazy maneuvering to get them in camp, etc... I skipped a ride on my 1/2 lease horse last week, I NEVER do that!

Comment

Its okay to feel that way im three months pregnant,I rode yesterday and gave my sister a lesson after in the hot hot sun. All I want to do today is veg out I felt guilty but I know my horses don't know any different and honestly its so darn muggy and im so darn tired I just say the heck with it.

Comment

Go watch your nice horse be ridden by your trainer and enjoy what you'll be missing for the next few months!

Do WHATEVER pleases you! You are pregnant, it is hot outside. No need to say more!

Comment

Originally posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
                  You aren't crazy but you may need to change your user name!
                  haha I was thinking the same thing...

I'dRatherBeRiding says she doesn't want to ride.

I've been there before too...I actually prefer riding when it is really hot out...it's when the snow starts piling up that riding becomes somewhat of a chore
                  I WAS a proud member of the *I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday* clique..but now I am 30!!!!!!!!!!!
                  My new blog about my Finger Lakes Finest:
                  She Ain't No Small Potato!

Comment

I am in a phase where I am loving riding right now, but with this heat I have to make myself dress for riding before I go to the barn. Otherwise I have a hard time making myself change into the heavier clothes.
                    Also gives me incentive to get my ride done before chores as I am rewarded with my ride and then cooler clothes.

Comment

I know how you feel (minus the pregnant). I have camp in two weeks and my mare is just coming back from a foot problem, I am scared to death to ride her and risk having it be to early (even though the vet says it is fine). The other is a big fat, lazy green bean. He likes to stand, I think the heat melts his feet to the arena floor... and I want to nap all the time

Comment

Heat is bad. I got very very sick from riding in scorching heat with humidity last year, and I am not nor was I at the time pregnant. If your body is saying "It's too hot", listen.
                        Author Page
                        Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                        Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

You aren't temporarily insane, you are...pregnant Go easy on yourself!

Congrats!

Comment

It is really freaking hot! If my horses didn't live in my backyard where I can ride at 8pm I wouldn't do it at all...horse show this weekend is going to be awful BTW!

Comment

I rode almost 365 days a year for over 30 years...DH and I owned and trained TB race horses. My show/hunt horses were also ridden during most days. Now I ride for "P L E A S U R E". Riding at 110 degrees is not pleasureable...I don't ride!! I feel badly about the days I'm wasting, but the horses are standing in clean, bedded stalls with fans blowing on them, so I'm doing my part for them...but not riding!! And I can assure you I'm not pregnant!!!
                              www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                              Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Temps in the upper 80's? Man, I would love that to be our high for the day. I hada lesson today at 11 am, and when I left my house with horse in tow the temp was 95 and climbing! Can you ride earlier in the morning, when the heat shouldn't be such a factor?

Comment

I also ride for pleasure. Luckily, I work nights so I can kind of work my riding schedule around the weather/temperature. In the summer here in Va it is often in the mid to upper 90's with high humidity. I go to the barn in the early morning. Don't feel guilty for not riding. Pregnancy messes with all your body systems, so go with your gut feeling.

Comment

I'm recovering from a minor-ish injury. Feel a hundred times better than I did a week ago (!) but dr said 4-6 weeks until I should ride again. Crazy!! I mean I'm definitely not waiting that long (crazy doctor what does she know), but I do admit I have to wait just a bit longer.... And I'm going crazy from boredom and wanting to ride. Plus I haven't had a lesson in three weeks now (usually 5 per month, once weekly plus an extra thrown in). First lesson back will be scary/ugly! :-)

However, your post was a good reminder that just two weeks ago I was EASILY talking myself out of at least one ride per week, due to the heat.
                                    You're definitely not alone!

Comment

Not pregnant, but I can totally get being unmotivated with the heat, a green horse, and only two weeks left before you go one "maternity leave." Don't worry about it!
                                      Amanda

Comment

Just let it go. You are going to be off a significant amount of time for your pregnancy/childbirth, so whatever you would be working on these 2 weeks will be forgotten by the time you climb back on. If you don't feel like riding, don't.

Don't discount early pregnancy exhaustion -- it really makes you drag if you are one of the lucky ones who gets hit with it. I could barely drag myself to work and back during that time, I had no desire to ride at all. Safer not to anyway so if you don't REALLY want it, I would stay on the ground.

Comment

Working...
                                        X