• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Talk to me about the new 'ceramic' craze...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about the new 'ceramic' craze...

The big 'in' thing right now are products (I believe Back on Track is the primary manufacturer) with 'ceramic'. All kinds of raving reviews on those, with standing wraps, hock wraps, gloves (for arthritic hands), and lots more.

Anyone have personal experience? They're fairly expensive. Worth the money?

How about some pros and cons?

Thanks so much.
    Last edited by ForTheLoveOfHorse; Jun. 8, 2011, 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling :)

I used one on my own knee and was not impressed. It was supposed to feel warm and did not.
    Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime feel as indignant as those who are. - King Soloman (970-928 B.C.)

Comment

Generally I am not impressed with those type of products. However, I can tell you that the Back on track pad (the 1/4 sheet size) works.

The horses love wearing it, they get droopy lip and yawm, yawn stretch. We move it around the barn and let them wear it for an hour or so in the stalls.

It was brought in for a horse who sustained an injury to it's right side longus dorismus (sp?), a long time ago, it healed poorly, was a mess of cords and spasms. It's owner did all kinds of massage/ acupuncture/ vet all with mediocre results. I was floored when this pad made a world of difference. He is almost off his meds, and has shown no "cold-back" symptomolgy since using it.

Don't ask me why, but I'm sold.

Does the manufacturer have a demo?

JTA: I didn't think the pad was overly expensive, I believe the owner paid less than $80 for it.

Comment

Love my BOT products! I have the no bows, mesh sheet and recently the polos. Regular use has loosened his back and (IMO) sped the healing of his suspensory injury.

What I like about them is the increased circulation without the heat. I can't explain it, they just seem to help smooth minor aches and pains over.

I have heard pets (cats and dogs ESP.) gravitate to any BOT product left on the ground and sleep on it, over any other bed/blanket/mattress that may be around.
        A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Comment

Loooooooove them! Reeeealy works!

I have the mesh sheet, two full sets of quick wraps (for stabling and also good for trailering), hock wraps and the therapeutic horse back pad (which is very versatile since you can use it under your regular stable sheet, as a saddle pad and a quarter sheet!).
          I have found horses warm up easier when I have them wear the mesh sheet an hour before riding. Also, I ride in the therapeutic pad and my horses don't start with a cold back anymore (even in winter)! They are much more supple and flexible. The mesh sheet helps them recover after strenous exercise and I use it between my first round and jump offs. They get into the ring fresh again.
          The quick wraps are not only easy to use and save time, but also keep your horses super protected and safe (because of the great padding and neoprene cover). When I take the wraps off, my horses' legs are so warm they are a bit sweaty where the tendons are! They have kept my horses legs super tight. The only glitch I could find is after using them for every day since Nov last year, they have gone unsewn in one or two places, but nothing major...
          I am planning to buy two stable sheets for both of my horses and the knee wraps, too.
          If you can only buy one product or two, I would go for the Therapeutic pad because you can use it with different sized horses and is a sheet/quarter sheet/saddle pad at the same time.
          Also, the pillow wraps will have the same effect as the other wraps, only that you will use your own polos over them.

i would surely recommend their products!
          Last edited by faraway46; Jun. 8, 2011, 11:56 PM.
          Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

Comment

My vet recommended the quilts for leg wrapping after my mare suffered a bowed tendon. They do wrap beautifully and I don't know if the wraps should get the credit but after 14 months of rehab she is fully back and very sound. They were expensive and while they can be machine washed DO NOT put them in the dryer as that destroys the ceramic threads.

Comment

I have BOT no bows. They work wonders on wind puffs.

Comment

I have the BOT sheet and the polos. I have started using the sheet for an hour before I ride and my guy seems very happy in it! He gets the droopy lip and usually falls asleep wearing it. The polos I usually use only if he's stocked up (or has a nice puncture wound on his hind leg, making the leg look like a stovepipe )

I can feel the warmth radiating out of the sheet when it's on him, and after I take it off, his back is toasty warm I wish they made people blankets though!

Comment

I have the mesh sheet and the therapeutic quick wraps for the horse, and like them a lot. They really do seem to generate heat, and therefore more circulation. I like the flexibility of the mesh blanket for our climate. I can combine the mesh blanket with a heavier one for those few really cold nights. Otherwise, the mesh blanket is enough. The wraps work very well for shipping, as well as standing wraps. They produce enough heat that my horse's legs are damp when I take them off. I would be careful about using them in the summer heat.

I have a back brace for myself, and I like it. I tend to stiffen up if sit for very long, and I do find it helps.

Comment

I have the BOT quick wraps and I saw a difference in my guy. I hadn't seen him feeling that good in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by JustABay View Post
                      I can feel the warmth radiating out of the sheet when it's on him, and after I take it off, his back is toasty warm I wish they made people blankets though!
                      They do, BOT makes a whole line of people products, blankets, t-shirts, etc. Check out their website to see all of their products.

Comment

I started with the quick wraps last year when my gelding was healing from a tendon sheath injury. They did seem to help reduce edema, and since he was on stall rest he tended to stock up a LOT! I then got the back pad, which I did not find as versatile as some of the other posters did (really wanted a regular quarter sheet, and couldn't make the back pad work for me. It's currently sitting in the horse closet). Ended up getting not only the quarter sheet but the mesh sheet, and I do feel like my horse is more comfortable and warms up more quickly when I use them.

I got the socks for myself in the hope that they would help my plantar fasciitis, and they do! I no longer hobble when I get up in the morning (unless I've been particularly bad to my feet the day before, LOL) and on the plus side, they keep my feet warm at night (I always got cold toes at night, even with fleece socks on!) I recently purchased the neck wrap for myself as well.

Do they do more than just a plain fleece sheet or regular wraps would? It's hard to say, but I've been happy with the products that I've used.
                        ~Nancy~

Adams Equine Wellness

Comment

They sound great for winter, but in this blistering heat aren't they just too hot? I can't imagine putting something on my horse designed to make him warmer when it is 90 degrees out already...I don't think he would be very grateful!

Comment

I won a saddle pad some time ago. The first thing I did was wrap myself in it to see if it warmed up, and it did. The horses love it. I worried about using it in the summer time too, but they still seem to prefer it to the other pads. It definitely gets a good sweat going. I got a free knee brace from a local tack shop a while after that (I may be biased here. I love the freebies!!!). It definitely seems to help, but it's a little too loose on me, so not good for heavy work. I do wear it at home after work some days and it takes a lot of the swelling out. I don't know if that's just the result of the pressure, or the ceramic.
                            "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
                            http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

I broke my right wrist (with tendon damage) about 3 years ago and it has ached on and off ever since. I've tried everything on the market - special braces, magnets, creams, prescriptions, etc - nothing has worked.

Last fall, I bought a simple wrist wrap from BOT. I put it on whenever I feel the wrist start to twinge and voila! No pain.

I carry it with me all the time - once in a while have forgotten it and gone home with an THROBBING wrist - put it on and in about 15 minutes, pain is gone.

So - will be getting products for the horses as I'm completely sold.
                              Originally posted by SmartAlex

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Comment

Not all that new- but definitely useful products. I stared with a set of wraps for my senior citizen who had lymphangitis. Vet recommended them to bring down the residual inflammation- which they did. I've since gotten my senior a mesh sheet to wear at night. It seems to help with some suspected arthritis in her spine, as well as her SI issues.

My dressage horse has a full set of wraps, a mesh sheet, and a neck cover. He wears it overnight a good portion of the time- and 24/7 at shows. It really helps him warm-up faster, which cuts down the wear and tear on his legs.

Comment

I have a BOT cooler/stable sheet and my horse wears that for half an hour or so prior to being ridden and after he is done. He loves it and gets a little angry when it has to come off.

I broke my back ages ago and it hurts a lot, I bought a BOT long sleeved t-shirt for me and I sleep in that, it makes a difference, I am less stiff in the morning.

Comment

I am going to get myself some of the socks for when my cast comes off. Maybe it'll help with the aching from all the torn ligaments. Thanks for the tip!
                                    Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Comment

I've never even heard of this stuff!!! Can someone please explain exactly what it is/does? Please?

Comment

Track people have been using these products for YEARS!!! I always have to chuckle when the rest of the horsey and human world catch up. I remember my first experience with ulta sound theraphy was in the early 70's , it wasn't til the 90's before I heard of applied for human therapy. I really like the BOT products , just don't put them in the dryer or use harsh detergents with them.

Comment

Working...
                                        X