• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tying Two year old question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tying Two year old question

My two year old colt has just started being ridden by his trainer (who is really doing a very nice job with him). My colt knows how to tie in his stall (obviously with a quick release and someone supervising). However, my colt does have a bit of an attitude (not mean and nasty, just very bold) and the trainer suggested tying him to a hitching post for an hour or so (supervised, of course). I'm just not willing to allow that with him at this stage. He does need to learn to tie and be patient, but I just think that should come a little later and be done more gradually and not just leaving him tied up (even supervised) where he may end up hurting himself if he decides to have a tantrum. Any thoughts on this? I've made it clear to the trainer that this is not going to be done with my colt, but am I over-reacting? Thanks in advance.
    www.springwillowsfarm.com

I'd do it sooner rather than later. Have done this with many horses. Haven't had any issues. *Knocks on wood*
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

Comment

I think all young hroses should be taught to tie at an early age. Yes they should be supervised and tied in a way that if necessary, they can be freed quickly, but there is nothign wrong with tying a youngster to a "patience pole" and they learn quickly that they can chill out and stand. I expect my horses to stand patiently when tied, at home, beside a trailer at a show, or in the trailer if it's a situation where they cannot stand tied to side of trailer.
      www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Agree with the others -- 2 is way too old to not know how to tie. My horses learn to tie as weanlings. My yearling is an old hand at tying -- he stands tied for baths, for the farrier, and to get regular grooming. Your horse needs to learn ASAP, and the only way to do that is to actually tie it. With quick release (but not too quick -- don't want him to learn to break things) and supervised. An hour is not at all excessive.

No horse should ever be tied without quick release, no matter how old or good at tying. You never know when something is going to happen, even to an old, old hand. All my horses wear leather halters or breakaway halters as well. Just in case.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, maybe I'll give the trainer the ok to try this for a short time, carefully supervised. It does worry me though. I really don't want my colt hurt.

ETA: He does know how to tie in the stall, so it's not like he's never been tied before.

Comment

Don't pamper him too much or handle him with kid gloves. He might in fact throw a tantrum -- usually any 2 year old who is that "bold" is a bit spoiled or untouched, one or the other. He's likely not going to give up getting to do what he wants without a little fight at some point, better now than later when he is bigger, stronger and more wily.

Horses need firm but fair boundaries. They thrive under them, like kids.

Comment

I think you may be a little late to the party. Standing tied like your trainer is advocating teaches a horse a lot more than just accepting being tied. All of mine will stand tied to something until I choose to untie them and they learn that as weanlings.

If you're worried about it, perhaps have the trainer tie him in his stall as a compromise until you are more comfortable with his level of training. We used to tie a lot of ours to the arena wall when we were cutting - standing tied next to other horses helped and all the activity desensitized them to a lot of things.

One of the most annoying things to me is a horse that will not stand tied, and one that must be constantly supervised because you don't trust them.
              Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

• Original Poster

He's definitely not untouched and not spoiled. We handle him every day - grooming, leading, all his daily care. We were also the ones who taught him to wear all of his tack and lunge.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Go Fish View Post
                  I think you may be a little late to the party. Standing tied like your trainer is advocating teaches a horse a lot more than just accepting being tied. All of mine will stand tied to something until I choose to untie them and they learn that as weanlings.

If you're worried about it, perhaps have the trainer tie him in his stall as a compromise until you are more comfortable with his level of training. We used to tie a lot of ours to the arena wall when we were cutting - standing tied next to other horses helped and all the activity desensitized them to a lot of things.

One of the most annoying things to me is a horse that will not stand tied, and one that must be constantly supervised because you don't trust them.
                  Well, I'm always learning. He's really a very nice colt and I'm just trying to do what's right for him. Unfortunately, there are always so many different opinions on what is "right" for young horses. Being that I am inexperienced with this aspect of the horse world, I'm just trying to see what others have had success with. Some say do it, others professionals I respect say don't. Hard to tell what's best.

Comment

Well, I agree that a two year old SHOULD know how to tie. That being said, we all know that young horses don't always do what they are supposed to do. I teach tying gradually starting in the stall. If a flighty two year old had a problem with tying, I'd probably just use patience. I would not tie a two year old alone outside for an hour (unless it was in a round pen), that does not set a young horse up for success, that's a setup for a fight. It might work out where the horse struggles and accepts that he is tied and learns a good lesson...or he might panic and hurt himself or might break away and learn that he can get away, or he might develop a complex about tying. It also depends on the horse. Not to sound "breedist" but I'd be a lot more likely to tie a 2 yo QH up outside and let them figure it out over a 2 yo TB. Anyway, the setting Go Fish describes with the cutting horses is a great way to teach patience while tied.

Comment

I am going to disagree with the majority, and agree with the OP's gut instinct that this is not a good idea.

At two, their spine is nowhere near fully developed, and they are at higher risk of nerve damage from pulling back. This type of nerve damage shows itself down the road as more than normal crookedness or TMJ.

Young horses learn to tie as part of learning to give to contact. They learn to stand as they accept the concept that they don't always get to do what they want.

LEaving them tied to a pole to teach patience never made sense to me...what part of equine evolution would have put patience in their knowledge base? Patience is a trait of a predator, not pray. Tying them does teach them that resistence is futile, but that is not the same as patience.

That type of training is not something I would ever do, nor would I allow it done with one of my horses. That said, my horses (when older) do stand quietly in the barn or at shows if I need them to. The youngsters get tied to bailing twine while I do stuff with them, and are only left to their own devices for short periods of time (still supervised). This helps them learning that tying time is good time.
                      Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Go Fish View Post
                        We used to tie a lot of ours to the arena wall when we were cutting - standing tied next to other horses helped and all the activity desensitized them to a lot of things.
                        Another one to recommend Go Fish's approach of tying in the arena (where they've got 'buddies' yet are challenged whilst desensitized and supervised). In such an environment (assuming the horse has all the 'skills' and 'tools' instilled prior), the horse is set up for success.

I do tie youngsters and I disagree with CHT I think that horses do not have the capacity for, or ability to learn, patience ("bearing pains or trials calmly or without complaint").

That said, it is very important to properly prepare any horse for whatever challenge or task or exercise you put to them, beforehand. This means teaching the horse to be relaxed, to think as opposed to react, and to have confidence (calmer, braver, smarter) - making them a better horse and 'balancing' their emotions. This also includes teaching them to move off pressure in a variety of ways (back-up, sideways, turns on the fore and hind, etc) - to be very light and responsive and soft. Proper preparation is what will prevent his pulling back and what will set him up for success. Then introducing tying in incremental phases. He already knows how to tie well in his stall, which is a great first step. I think he could - and should - be tied for progressively longer increments, somewhere safe (preferably in or near the arena while your trainer works with other horses). Optimally, it would be done after he's been worked and is in a good and relaxed state of mind, and not necessarily for an hour at first (depending on your horse).

I don't think it should have anything to do with his age - he is where he is. So long as he has all the proper skills to tie, then there is no reason he can or should not be tied. Preferably in such a way that he can pull back and not injure himself (ie, to a tire or bungee of sorts, or using a tie-blocker ring or just wrapping the lead around a horizontal pole a number of times so the lead gives but he can't walk off).
                        ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                        ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

I wouldn't have any problem if the trainer was using a properly set up high-line (little chance of injury). Not so thrilled about tied to a post.
                          ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Comment

I teach mine that don't know how to tie using a post and the leadrope attached through a deflated inner tube, wearing a leather halter. The tube gives just enough.
                            Trinity Farm LLC
                            Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
                            Like us on Facebook:
                            https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

Comment

I would prefer to teach ground tying first, then tying is easy -- To teach ground tying, I like to give the horse the opportunity to stand -- As soon as they move a foot, pick a spot on the ground where you want that foot to stand still, and move the horse up/back/left/right until they stand on that spot (in other words, make them work) -- Then give them an opportunity to stand there -- When they move, work them until they stand on the spot -- They will learn it's easier to stand where you ask -- When they're good at ground tying, you can hook the horse up to a tie or pair of crossties, and the horse will not test them --
                              "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Comment

He does know how to tie in the stall, so it's not like he's never been tied before.
                                Tying in the stall is "easy", standing tied out in the big world with everything clamouring for his attention is a completely different lesson

BUT go with what feels right to you - he's your horse & assuming you've had him the last year or so & the trainer has had him a couple months ...

You can certainly go through some versions of the ground tying before going with something more solid.

Comment

I agree with the others saying that if you don't want him tied to a post outside somewhere that's fine, but he needs to be tied up somewhere and left there. By left there I mean not having someone by his side comforting or entertaining him, but within eyesight should any trouble start. Maybe tie him in the aisle while the trainer grooms a horse in a stall or something?
                                  Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
                                  Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

Comment

Working...
                                  X