• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Green horse has picked up rearing... help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green horse has picked up rearing... help!

I have a relatively green pony in training right now and he has recently picked up rearing as his "I'm done working" or any other type of tantrum behavior. How do you fix a horse that has started rearing?! I can break a buck or a spinner, but I am kind of at a loss with this one.
    He is a great pony for the most part, but has those days where he needs a good lunge before he can be put to work. He bucked a little right after breaking, but hasn't done more than get antsy or speedy since. Over the last couple weeks though he has started throwing his tantrum is the form of rearing. He has 3 serious fits and I'm worried he'll pick this up as a real habit. Being a little guy I expect him to have children or small adults on him, but rearing can be so dangerous and I don't want a scared child to accidentally flip him. I need some serious advice on getting rid of this bad habit!

If you can use an opening rein on one rein and pull him off balance before he gets his feet off the ground and then spank him around in a small circle you can usually change their minds in a hurry. If he's already in the air, it's too late since you don't want to pull him over... in that case you send him forward hard as soon as the front feet touch down. Rearing is an extreme disobedience to the leg.

Comment

If you have someone at the barn I would have them hold a lunge whip and when he goes up crack it 3-5 times. That worked with my young one when he tried it a couple of times.

Comment

I had a green pony that did the exact same thing. I got so fed up that one day when she went up I wrapped my arms around her neck just below the throat latch and used my crop on her shoulder until she had all four feet on the ground. This pony was small enough that I felt pretty confident that she wouldn't flip over when all of my weight was near her head. If I have a horse rear with me... I want it to dislike my reaction as much as I dislike rearing. That pony quickly decided that she would reather work.

Comment

There was a thread on here recently regarding rearing that had a lot of good ideas: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...hlight=rearing

Comment

Our small pony did that once or twice when she was 4, right after we brought her back to work after the winter off. My DD grabbed her neck, using her weight to get the mare's feet back on the ground - then sent her forward with a few cracks from a dressage whip. She never did it again but my DD was armed with the dressage whip for a few weeks after.

It's been three years now and it's never been an issue

Comment

I know someone who used to ride rearers with a water balloon in one hand
              "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

Get that pony going FORWARD! Like, NO OPTION PLAN must go forward NOW!

Start on the ground with a longe line and a dressage whip and teach him that the tough of a whip means he moves his butt ASAP. I'm not saying beat the pony, I'm saying finesse it. If you do your homework by the time you are riding him again he should be nice and responsive to even the slightest leg.

Then I'd trot that little monkey right out onto the trail and not do anything but trot and canter. Dressage whip in hand. Lots of good boy for going forward regardless of how unbalanced or speedy or ugly it may seem/feel. Rinse and repeat. Then head back into the ring. Add in ground poles and things to keep him interested.

This pony needs a "go" button ASAP before he learns that rearing is the evasion du jour...!
                We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

if you haven't been quick enough to get him forward BEFORE he goes up, a good whack between the ears.

Comment

Good luck with this. Rearing is something once learned, it is hard to break. I can remember the day my young horse started to rear. I let a green rider (yeah, stupid on my end) ride him and he reared when the hunt came by. Instead of correcting him, she bailed off of him. I think a lightbulb went off in his head at that moment. When I rear, I get out of work. From that moment on, rearing became a part of his routine when he didn't want to work. Even though I did not get off of him, he did it anyway and it was not fun. I eventually sent him to a cowboy who sort of fixed it but in any situation when he felt pressured, he reared. I ended up selling him for cheap (and with full disclosure of the vice). Very bad habit.

Comment

Why does pony feel the need to rear? if it is a work ethic thing, then perhaps the training has been pushed to hard? or perhaps pony is sore? Maybe you are too big for him to carry comfortably?

I would take a step back with the training and see where it is the wheels came off and try to address the root cause.
                      Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

I fixed my Appaloosa's rearing problem in several easy lessons. He hasn't reared in eight years since.

I taught him John Lyons' "drop your head cue" when I was out riding and doing other things. the next time he tried to rear up, I asked him to drop his head. problem solved.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by CHT View Post
                          Why does pony feel the need to rear? if it is a work ethic thing, then perhaps the training has been pushed to hard? or perhaps pony is sore? Maybe you are too big for him to carry comfortably?

I would take a step back with the training and see where it is the wheels came off and try to address the root cause.
                          Well I considered the weight issue, but I feel pretty safe and comfortable with our weights... he may prefer a child, but
                          I'm not too much for him by any means. I'm not quite sure where it started because he was going along nicely for all of his rides and then one day only a little in to the ride (before he had even started working really) he threw himself up. I think he figured out that it was an easy way to stop his workout before it got started. I am having his teeth checked and seeing if a different bit will help (though his is already a very soft snaffle)... i think he may enjoy a rubber bit. The vet is also going to look at his back too, but he hasn't presented as sore or anything.
                          I am definitely going to look in to his current training and see if there are any points that may be pushing him to this.

Comment

Sounds like you're doing a great job getting him checked out and making sure this isn't a training issue before blaming it on him, kudos to you there

If it is just him being a brat, then BEAT THE $H!+ out of him when he goes up! Pop him between the ears, on the shoulder, wherever (except his face) you safely can without flipping him. He needs to learn that this is a COMPLETELY no-bueno behavior and it WILL NOT be tolerated. I know too many people who have been flipped over on by rearers who turned into flippers to ever think about treating this behavior softly. If he just threatens to go up, use a hard, HARD opening rein to one direction and pop him on the butt. If he actually goes up, SMACK HIM AS HARD AS YOU CAN, wherever you can, as I already said. Best of luck.
                            Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all of the ideas! I'm going to have to get to work on this immediately! hopefully his teeth and back check out with the vet then we will try to fix this thing. It's breaking my heart thinking of him picking up this habit... he is one of my fanciest prospects and there he goes trying to drop his price point thousands under what it should be. Not only that, but I could never sell a rearing horse to a child's family even if they think it's something they can deal with it is simply too dangerous. Not being able to put a kid on his back probably means no career for this guy and I just don't think he'd be a happy field pony.

Comment

Originally posted by CHT View Post

This is my advice also. You need to address the ROOT CAUSE. If it's truly lack of work ethic (and nothing else), then your goal is to create a more willing horse, one who wants to be with you and who wants to work with you and for you. Spending undemanding time with him, making work fun (ie, including doing things he enjoys too), lots of rubs when appropriate, etc.

I would also consider, as CHT noted, that he is perhaps being pushed too hard (even if the work or tasks you are asking of him are minimal from your perspective - it might be too much for him and you might have to break it down further). I say this from a trainer's perspective - you have to tailor your program to that horse and doing so might entail (with this type of horse) only asking (at that moment) as much as your connection or relationship with that horse will allow. This means sometimes you might have to cater to the horse a little and in this case, go a little slower and ask less of them (expect lots, accept little). When you do so, you find they better progress and the progress will rapidly increase as you build a stronger relationship and foundation with them.
                                ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                                ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Originally posted by greenwoodeq View Post
                                  I'm not quite sure where it started because he was going along nicely for all of his rides and then one day only a little in to the ride (before he had even started working really) he threw himself up. I think he figured out that it was an easy way to stop his workout before it got started.
                                  Why? Did the workout stop at that moment?

A rear is a response - it's one of a horse's only tools of communicating. That's all it is. Of course certain horses will have the tendency to use that method of communicating, over others, and always will (due to their personality, their past experiences, etc). But it's not a black-and-white 'bad behaviour' and if you address the root issue and teach them they don't have to rear, the rearing will stop. Take it as a direct response from him and re-evaluate what you are doing when he does rear, and change your tactics and approach (whether with that specific exercise or within the workout as a whole) This is assuming of course the issue is not physical, which you are responsibly taking into account.

ETA: while a correctly-timed smack is not to be ruled out and can be perfectly useful in establishing boundaries (ie, maybe - if necessary - as he comes down, a hard smack at that moment to get him forward), imo beating him or hitting him excessively (especially when done more than once - even though 'making the right answer easy and the wrong answer hard') is only going to instill in him either fearfulness or (more likely, given the type of horse he seems to be) resentfulness. Resentfulness will not breed willingness. Instead, if you can listen to what he is 'saying' and respond thusly, you will obtain a much better response and relationship with him (and thus a better work ethic).
                                  Last edited by naturalequus; Jun. 2, 2011, 06:26 PM.
                                  ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                                  ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

You know, be careful trying to fix this. You have to be really good at anticipating and nipping it in the bud. Or you can get very hurt. Even if you are good at riding through it you can still get very hurt.

Tread carefully, ok?
                                    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon View Post
                                      You know, be careful trying to fix this. You have to be really good at anticipating and nipping it in the bud. Or you can get very hurt. Even if you are good at riding through it you can still get very hurt.

Tread carefully, ok?
                                      Ride with a stirrup around the neck just in case! Best to grab onto that rather than their mouth and risk toppling over!
                                      Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
                                      Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
                                      Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by naturalequus View Post
                                        Why? Did the workout stop at that moment?
                                        His work out definitely did not stop after the rearing... Can't let him learn he can get out of working just for a little rear.
                                        I am trying to figure out the cause very thoroughly, but I am 100% sure he isn't be pushes to hard (unless something else is hurting him like his teeth or back). I think he may have just found his new buck... Stopping a buck isn't too hard but a rear can't really be stopped once he is already up there.
                                        I'm waiting for the vet to come out before i rule out mouth or back pain... though he isn't really presenting symptoms other than the rears. It's kind of stumping me because he LOVES to be ridden. He likes to show off and look pretty when anyone is around (tucked up hind, on the bit, big fancy strides) and he enjoys the pair of riders who work him. What he doesn't love is having to work when he wants to play so maybe it is just that, but his response to this situation has always been whinying to his barn buddies and not focusing as much but never trying to stop a ride.

Comment

Working...
                                        X