• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

riders & hot weather problems - update on product

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• riders & hot weather problems - update on product

What are your coping strategies for showing when the mercury zooms to 90 and the heat index is god-knows what? At a show this weekend I felt weak and forgot part of two of my courses and just generally rode like crap, then was sick and had a severe migraine that night. I didn't have symptoms of heat exhaustion and took care to stay hydrated. The season's just starting. I'm in the best shape I've been in since I started re-riding several years ago, and for reference, I nailed these same courses a month ago (and we were 1st in 3 out of 5 and 2nd in the other 2), when it was oh, 10+ degrees cooler. My poor horse. I simply apparently COULD. NOT. THINK.
    Last edited by mortebella; Jun. 9, 2011, 09:49 PM.
    Blog: The Continuing Adventures of an (ahem) Mature Re-Rider without a Trust Fund...but, finally, A Farm of Her Own!!

Living here, we have no options other than cope or quit riding for months. A few things that help...

- Drink water, water and more water. Not just at the show but the day before, during and after.
    - If showing, wear your coat only for the course. Put it on just before you go in and take it off as soon as you get done. Same for your helmet - they both trap heat. I went to one show where they actually said we were NOT to wear coats, so make sure a nice polo is in your bag, too.
    - Wear lighter-weight breeches. I have a couple pairs of lighter (Ariat?) fabric that are really good when it's hot outside.
    - Take shoes to wear when you're not showing. Getting out of boots is always a good feeling.
    - Use a squirt bottle to mist your face when you get over-heated.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

those are all symptoms of heat exhaustion so no matter how much you drank, make sure you drink twice as much esp while riding

when its really hot, I always make sure I have a big bottle of water in the ring with me and drink the entire time.
      "to each his own..."

Comment

I agree, you probably had heat exhaustion, or at the very least dehydration. Nausea and severe headache are both symptoms of dehydration. Recommended water intake is about 2L for a woman, but I would even increase that for exercising on hot days. If you think you're overheating run cold water over your wrists for a while, and soak a bandanna for your face and neck.
        "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

I second what everyone else is saying. Also drink Gatorade. If it is hot you are sweating and the gaterade helps replenish what you are loosing. Split that with the water and it'll help.

I would be more help but it has been far too long since i competed in anything other than heavy cold rain (aka when my mom is a wimp and lets me take her horse in the rain.)
          "I'm too sexy for my blanket, too sexy for my blanket, these mares-they should take it..." (J-Lu) - Featuring The Skypizzle Pony aka Classic Skyline

Comment

I feel your pain! Last year at Kentucky, I did a childrens/adult hunter classic with two rounds. Twelve were called back for the second round. About 3/4th of the way through the first round, I was standing in 12th place and it was so hot I DID NOT want to ride again. When someone finally knocked me into 13th place, I cheered!

One of the problems I have is not being acclimated to the heat. I work in an office and I'm not used to being outside. Then I show up to the horse show on the weekend when it's 90+ and it's really difficult to adjust.

So, having learned this about myself, I do the following:

* try to spend a time outside in the heat for a day or two before the show - maybe go to the pro days

* unlike the poster above, I keep my jacket on while I'm warming up. Letting your jacket get all sweaty, while completely disgusting, keeps me cooler.

* I put on my show shirt and breeches first thing in the morning, no matter when I'm showing. I've found it more difficult to change from shorts/tank into show clothes...just makes the show clothes seem even more hot.
            ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Comment

• Original Poster

I think I overestimated my ability to cope by an order of magnitude. I am usually not w/o gatorade when it starts getting hot, but - shezam!- I'd run out that day and just blew off stopping at the convenience store as a stop I didn't want to make on a busy day. WRONG!!! I did drink water, but it probably wasn't enough. I didn't think about dehydration. I was shaking, I felt so bad. And I knew it wasn't just nerves. I hate pinning a back number to my coat because it always seems to damage the fabric (the wind never fails to be blowing some crazy way, no matter how carefully you pin it down ), and I wasn't wanting to take my coat off and tie and retie my number string every time, but I'll jolly well pin that puppy on so I can wriggle out of that torture suit next time. Most of the next day my muscles were stiff and sore like somebody who doesn't even ride, which I put down to lack of electrolytes.
              Blog: The Continuing Adventures of an (ahem) Mature Re-Rider without a Trust Fund...but, finally, A Farm of Her Own!!

Comment

A friend, who is a mailman, says they are always told if it's going to be hot, hydrate the day Before. Of course, also hydrate that day.
                I find those neck coolers, with the microbeads in them are absolute life savers in hot weather.

Chris

Comment

• Original Poster

See, Snaffle, I think like you do. I feel like I'm better off if I just put the clothes on and stick with them. But now I wonder if it bit me in the a$$ this time. I too work in air conditioning that's fairly ridiculous - it's a large municiple building where the chillers are set on 60 degrees. I am never without long sleeves AND a sweater. The way this year has played out, with extreme thunderstorms cooling things off and since I ride in the late evenings, there have only been a couple of really hot days I've schooled on - and I had really sucky rides, too (Although I didn't forget where I was going )

Comment

My husband bought acooling vest from a company called TechNiche, which he uses when riding his motorcycle.
                    You soak it with water and wear it under your jacket....maybe one would even fit under your shirt. He says it does a great job of keeping him cool, even on long, hot rides. I'm not sure how it would fit under a show coat, but it might be worth a try. I would put up a link, but I still can't figure out how with this iPad!

Comment

I resign myself to a day of misery. Long horse show days (hot/cold/perfect) kill me, migraine wise. I'm very prone and it seems like no matter how careful I am to literally CHUG water/gatorade, eat, and take ibuprofen at the start I am doomed to feel nauseous, headachy, and absolutely miserable by around 2pm. I have migraine meds that work well, but they give me muscle cramps in my arms and still leave me nauseous. I learned early that muscle cramps + 3'9'' jumper course + very strong 17.2 warmblood = a very ugly ride and uncomfortable ride.

My suggestions? Go to bed early. Nyquil at 6pm the night before if you have to. I'm a person whose normal bedtime is about 1 or 2 am, if I have to wake up at four or five to get to a show, the lack of sleep triggers a migraine. I take tylenol pm and go to bed early enough to get eight hours of sleep, doesn't prevent the headache but staves it off until later in the day. Found this out when I accidentally took nyquil instead of dayquil the evening before a show. Now when I was showing consistently I didn't do it, I'm not a fan of meds other than ibuprofen, but this summer I'm showing about once a month and I never take sleep aids otherwise.

Comment

Same day hydration is fine, just keep after it/keep up with it. Propel and Gatorade both make the dry powder mixes, keep some of those on hand for show days when water is around, but maybe not Gatorade.

Go Easy on the salt, food wise.
                        Banamas are good for replacing potassium.
                        The wicking fabrics make a difference, and as soon as I can I get out of those boots and into tennis shoes or other cool shoes.

Comment

On hot days I wait till I am ready to warm up to put my breeches and a polo on. Then wait till I have to get ready for my class to put the rest of the garb on. I too like to leave it on once it's on. The thought of putting it back on once it's off is so much worse than keeping it on for a few rounds for me. I am not much of a headache person - but as others said I would prob pop some ibu/advil/your preference. The following is what I do for those hot summer shows:

*Drink cold water/gatorade
                          *Eat lots of fruit and good non-junky food during the day! I know lots of friends who get weak/dizzy at shows if they don't eat. Best thing is to pack a cooler and stay away from the horse-show food.
                          *Stay in shade as much as possible
                          *Get plenty of sleep (I sometimes pack show clothes and such two days beforehand so I don't end up staying up late cleaning boots, etc).
                          *Eat a hearty breakfast! Even at 4am, stuff in that banana and cereal or egg sandwhich. Not a donut!
                          *Strip down to shorts and a tanktop as soon as my horse is untacked and sponged down
                          *If jackets are optional - TAKE IT OFF! Always pack a nice polo and a few extra shirts. I have a shortsleeve one for under my jacket on hot days and a long sleeve one for when jackets are excused.

Thankfully I've never had a problem at a show - minus the just being miserably hot and wondering whoever thought of wearing all that clothing while showing was an idiot....but I think that is inevitable

Comment

• Original Poster

oooooooo, Rel6, that is a tough scenario. You have the serious migraines like I have. I have daily meds that I have to take, and rescue meds for when I get a break-through migraine. The headache I got after this show, rescue meds would not fix. This was not the first such non-responsive post-show headache I've had. Horse show days can just be too long. But it was the first time I've experienced such a degree of confusion while trying to ride and ridden so considerably below what I'm capable of just because I wasn't able to concentrate. When I was so sick and miserable that night (AND upset with myself) I really had to think back on other times (at least one of which ended in an ER) and ask myself if showing was/is a reasonable goal for someone with an on-going pain issue like mine. I'm comforted to know I'm not the only one who struggles with it.

Comment

Originally posted by mortebella View Post
                              oooooooo, Rel6, that is a tough scenario. You have the serious migraines like I have. I have daily meds that I have to take, and rescue meds for when I get a break-through migraine. The headache I got after this show, rescue meds would not fix. This was not the first such non-responsive post-show headache I've had. Horse show days can just be too long. But it was the first time I've experienced such a degree of confusion while trying to ride and ridden so considerably below what I'm capable of just because I wasn't able to concentrate. When I was so sick and miserable that night (AND upset with myself) I really had to think back on other times (at least one of which ended in an ER) and ask myself if showing was/is a reasonable goal for someone with an on-going pain issue like mine. I'm comforted to know I'm not the only one who struggles with it.
                              I hear ya! I showed all day at HITs on Friday...it was the first really hot day too. Then I had a 3hr drive home. I was tired/nauseous/headachey- not a good combo, especially driving. Just kept staring at the time left until I got home on my GPS hoping it moved faster.

I ride IHSA also, and we host shows. So that is three full days of set-up, riding, horse handling, etc. Everyone resents the lazy person not pulling their weight, which is what I can across as when I get so dizzy I have to sit down (at lets face it, "I have a headache" comes across as the lamest excuse ever) . Our BM gets bad migraines too though so she is very sympathetic.

What do you take? I have prescription strength ibuprofen when I feel one coming on, and Treximet for severe headaches. But the treximent makes me EXTREMELY nauseous the first hour after I take it, and muscle cramps for the rest of the day. Plus its about $300 for 9 pills

Comment

I can get bad migraine type headaches too if I don't eat properly when it is hot and going to be a long day. So I second the get something substantial in your stomach in the morning(ie. bananas, cereal). During the show try to stay away from greasy and salty foods (though a little salt isn't bad)- if you suffer from nervous show stomach try some cold cut up watermelon which is easy on your stomach and gives you some fluid. I try to stay away from too much caffeine as it does dehydrate you but I must confess if I don't get some in I will get a headache from "withdrawal" so I drink that first and then try to stay with water or Gatorade for the rest of the day.
                                One other trick you can try that is very refreshing during the day is to take wash cloths and soak with water with some astringent(Seabreeze), slightly wring out and then fold them up and put in a ziploc bag and freeze them. The morning of the show take the bags and put in your cooler. Take a few up to the ring with you and periodically wipe your face and back of neck with the cold cloths- the astringent kind of works like ammonia when your feeling faint only nicer and you get the added benefit of keeping your pores open and clean on your face. My students do this over the summer when we lesson and it really helps. I use this when I come off the cross country course and trust me it will revive you.
                                "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I was just thinking about making a thread for this on the way home from the barn. I knew COTHers would have some tips. I was dying in the heat today! I get terrible migraines with about 10000 causes, and even though I take my daily medication, I still had 2 migraines this week! I hate the summer

I'm going to try all of these tips tomorrow! Going to be 90degrees all day even by 7 at night!!

What do you take? I have prescription strength ibuprofen when I feel one coming on, and Treximet for severe headaches. But the treximent makes me EXTREMELY nauseous the first hour after I take it, and muscle cramps for the rest of the day. Plus its about $300 for 9 pills
                                  Don't take ibuprofen, it only masks the migraine and doesn't get rid of it. Treximet made me sick too, and didn't work so I had to try something different. I've tried them all...
                                  Ask your doctor/neuro to give you another medicine. It sounds as if yours are bad enough to warrant daily meds with rescue meds.

Comment

I used to suffer from heat exhaustion, and I even passed out during an in-hand class back when I did 4-H forever ago.

If you feel like you are exhausted or feel like you are getting cooler, it is a sign of a heat stroke coming on. You need to get ice and put it on your THROAT (not forehead) immediately. If you do not sweat much, you need to drink more water. Gatorade and other sugary things do not really hydrate you, they merely put electrolytes in your body. Stay away from caffeine as well, it also makes you dehydrated. When summer heats reach the 90's you should be drinking about a gallon of water a day if you spend time outside so you sweat more. Drink lots and lots of water.

Also, if you use antiperspirant deodorant, it keeps you from sweating. Sweating is healthy! switch to Toms. instead of preventing you from sweating it kills odor causing bacteria. Sweating keeps you cool so it is imperative to drink plenty of water so you sweat more. And again, if you feel too hot put ice on your throat.

I also normally warm up in my coat so it gets nice and sweaty. It's disgusting, I know, but it is the body's natural way of keeping us cool.
                                    "The bare necessities of life will come to you." -The Jungle Book

Comment

Originally posted by DarkStarrx View Post
                                      I was just thinking about making a thread for this on the way home from the barn. I knew COTHers would have some tips. I was dying in the heat today! I get terrible migraines with about 10000 causes, and even though I take my daily medication, I still had 2 migraines this week! I hate the summer

I'm going to try all of these tips tomorrow! Going to be 90degrees all day even by 7 at night!!

Don't take ibuprofen, it only masks the migraine and doesn't get rid of it. Treximet made me sick too, and didn't work so I had to try something different. I've tried them all...
                                      Ask your doctor/neuro to give you another medicine. It sounds as if yours are bad enough to warrant daily meds with rescue meds.

The majority of headaches are caused by dehydration. Drink more water

I, on the other hand, get headaches from the sun because my eyes are very sensitive. Sunglasses are a great invention
                                      "The bare necessities of life will come to you." -The Jungle Book

Comment

• Original Poster

I am back to plain ol' Imitrex for a rescue med. I've taken everything else at one time or another and nothing was any more effective/reliable although Zomig was pretty good, in the nasal spray form - but hella expensive, and no generic. I get 100 mg generics and cut them up. Believe me, I go through enough of them to make this worthwhile. I also take 400 mgs. a day of generic topomax (an anti-epileptic.) That one has been a godsend and the only reason I don't have a headache every other day, since all my work for over 10 years has been on computers and the eyestrain - oy vey. And I TOTALLY get it about people giving you the stink eye over having to quit for a minute because your head hurts. Even my sister used to give me crap - perfect example, day at the beach, me: "I have to leave NOW or I'll be sick, there's too much light and heat!!" Her: "What are you, some kind of weirdo?" Until she was forced to share a hotel room with me sometime in our twenties and she actually SAW a full-on migraine in progress and she literally thought I was going to die. From then on out if she saw me getting green around the gills she made all due haste to get me out of whatever situation she had got me into LOL. And her son inherited the tendency too. For years neither one of us had prescription meds and we both lived on Goody's powders. It was a family joke - the first time I shot one in front of him, I saw him scrutinizing me closely and I wondered WTF. I proceed on with my age old ritual and suddenly he shouted, "YES!!! You lick the paper too!!"

Comment

Working...
                                        X