• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How often do you lesson?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you lesson?

Hi all!

So, I commute 1.5 hrs one way to a lesson. 1. Yes, it really is worth it, the instructors, barn, horses, people, etc are all fantastic, and 2. There are really NO good barns around me to ride. I'm a re-rider and right now, I ride just once a week. At first, it was alright. As I hadn't ridden in 6 yrs, it gave my non-existent muscles a chance to recover. I was so out of shape, that my legs would stay sore for almost the entire week between lessons. Now that I'm done with the spring semester and work minimal hours during the week, I can, time wise, afford riding more than just once. Plus, I can actually ride for more than 30 minutes without dying!

Right now, I feel like I'm not riding enough to progress. I grab ride when I'm at a friend of the family's house. But it's nowhere close to anything consistent enough to truly make a difference. However, I don't know if I want to ride more than once because I really am not progressing, which I do, or if I'm just competitive and because as most of the riders there, ride better than I do, I want to ride twice a week. No really, I have to beat people out of the stoplight when it turns green. I really easily go into competitive mode. I really don't mind progressing slowly, I'd rather learn things right than quick.

So here's the real question. For riders who lesson:
    How often do you ride a week? Obviously, if you own or lease, you ride more. So if you do, please answer as well. But I really want to know for those that lesson on school horses, how often do you ride?

For instructors:
    How often would you prefer non-beginning 're-riders' to ride to show improvement? Or rather, how often can you expect riders, such as me who commute that time, to ride?

Thanks!!! Sorry! That was a little longer than planned!
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. -Christopher Hitchens

When I was younger, I would lesson (my only riding time) as often as I could. My barn was only 20 min away, but I was also a busy high school kid, so not a lot of spare riding time available.

Generally I rode 1x week from Sept-Dec. 2x from Jan-April, 3x during show season depending on show schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by FertilizerLeaves View Post
      So here's the real question. For riders who lesson:
      How often do you ride a week? But I really want to know for those that lesson on school horses, how often do you ride?
      You're pretty much me, from what you describe.

Adult re-rider, out of the saddle for 10 years before taking up lessons again last December. I did a month of 1x lessons a week, no extra rides. In January, I did 2x a week, and yeah -- it made a big difference. It felt like I was fast-forwarding through 2 months of riding, if not more.

Then, work kicked in, and I was lucky to get 1 lesson a week. Now that June's here and my schedule is stable, I'm set to start taking lessons twice a week again.

I really think at this point, just getting extra saddle time at all is a huge help to me. Yes, obviously having a trainer and a lesson is good (I love mine to pieces .. in case she stumbles on this) ... But I tend to learn a lot from just being in the saddle and relearning and redeveloping muscle memory. Which is why I'm also thinking about doing a 1/2 lease when work picks up in late August. I'll still be doing lessons at least once/week, but I'll have the ability to ride more than that, time permitting. And without messing up my schedule, or my trainer's with last-minute cancellations.

If you don't mind me asking ... how much do you spend on gas, per lesson?

The lessons themselves are a great price ($30, prepaid), but the gas ... Dear lord. I drive a Jeep Wrangler, so it costs me roughly $20-22 in gas to get to the barn and back. (100 miles, round trip). So, it ends up being about $50 a lesson.
      The dude abides ...

Comment

Hate to say it... but about once every 3 wks. I also have to "commute" to lessons, and with gas (especially while towing) its getting very, very expensive. Plus add in travel time and its hard to work it in around everything else.

But, I try to make up for it by having someone video my lessons, and then I take notes immediately afterwards so I can focus on my homework until the next one. I do feel like I can make reasonable progress but I have to be much more focused during my regular rides and plan out a training schedule. I'd love to do once a week but that's not financially in the cards right now.

Comment

I own my boy but I lesson 1-2 times a week. Before I moved I kept my horse 1 1/2 hrs away but would still make the drive at least 5 times a week if not all 7 to ride but could only afford to lesson once a week.( the gas is a killer!!)

Thankfully I now live within 5 min of the barn and couldn't be happier.

Comment

I am also a rerider after 10 years off. When I started back riding I took lessons 1x a week. My trainer would comment on my progress "Are you riding somewhere else" as I did progress pretty quickly. (In my younger years I rode western pleasure and as a rerider I now ride dressage).
            Like you 1x a week just wasn't enough, I wanted more time in the saddle. I wanted my own horse so I could ride more. I was shocked by the increase in all the prices; boarding, feed, farrier etc. etc. So I picked up a second job (a very flexible job with little hours)so I could afford a horse. God Bless my trainer she saw my passion and for the last two years I have been leasing from her(for a nominal fee). If my learning topped out on a horse she had another one for me. I have had my current pony for over a year now. I lesson 1 x wk and ride 4x a wk. I ride in clinics and get to show 1 to 2x a month.
            If I owned my own horse after paying board I wouldn't be able to afford the lessons, clinics and shows. I love my trainer!!!
            Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Comment

• Original Poster

Opus1, nope, don't mind one bit. One way is about 60 miles. Right now gas is at 3.80, just down from 3.96. It's about half a tank round trip, more or less. Now, at least in that aspect, I can suck it up a bit, I only drive to my lesson and get gas. I live close to campus so I either walk or ride my bike (that helped with being able to survive a lesson!). So, it usually costs about $20 that has to be bought at some point, whether its after my lesson or the week after. (Hm, I don't drive a Jeep Wrangler....maybe I just speed...excessively) Plus, my lessons are $45. The lesson cost to me is justified it's the build up of gas that's a pain.

So maybe, it's worth it, even just for a month so I can feel like I'm progressing. Also, it could get me to a point where when I do grab the occasional ride, I have something to work on and I could make something out of it, rather than just working on transitions and trying to get my heels to go back down. Plus, right now is really the only time I could do it. School starts again in the fall, and where I live, they plow M-F, 8am to 5pm. So during the winter riding can become a once a month type thing.
              What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. -Christopher Hitchens

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Eventer13 View Post
                But, I try to make up for it by having someone video my lessons, and then I take notes immediately afterwards so I can focus on my homework until the next one. I do feel like I can make reasonable progress but I have to be much more focused during my regular rides and plan out a training schedule. I'd love to do once a week but that's not financially in the cards right now.
                That's a good idea. I've recorded one of mine in the past to watch my legs. But to do it more often, then I can see what I want to work on if I do get a chance to ride outside of lessons. Thanks!

Comment

I lesson 2-4 days a week, but I have my own horses. We are required to take one lesson per horse per week, and I usually fit in two lessons a day.
                  Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Comment

I take lessons once a week, typically. I ride my trainer's horse, don't own my own. Lately I've been taking an extra lesson per week about once or twice a month. That usually goes right after a good money-making week (and I feel I can afford it!) Or right before an impending vacation. Or if I have had a remarkable lesson (either fantastic and I want to keep rolling or a horrid time and I'm desperate to fix it!). I basically just ask if she has a free hour to give an extra lesson that week and she usually can accommodate me.

I am at the barn three days a week (at work the other 4, boo). Trainer will give me other horses to ride after my lesson, and I'll ride my "schoolie" those other days, too. So I get abt 4-6 rides per week total.

I currently just have to drive 35 minutes to the barn (highway), but it used to be just under an hour commute. There is another trainer in the opposite direction, but she's at best 10 minutes closer, and who knows if I could have the same opportunities for saddle time tgere. Plus, my trainer's just awesome and has taught me so much.

I found that even the second ride has made a huge difference. When I get two lessons in a week, that's even better! I don't usually push myself as much when it's just me in the arena- working on that!!
                    For me, having a trainer that is willing to give me those riding opportunities (for free too!) is worth the price of gas, time, etc. I appreciate that so much, as ownership wouldn't be responsible at this stage of my life.
                    In order to make the drive a little less painful on the gas budget, I plan ALL of my errands in town to fall on my days at the barn (which is, ironically, closer to town than where I live). That or I try to get there and done as early as possible, so my whole free day isn't at the barn, and so Mr B. can remember what I look like!

Eta : I keep a binder of notes about my lessons and rides. Don't read it as often as I should but it helps sink things into my thick skull if I write soon after I finish. I'll find that I repeat things in my head as trainer says them, with the sole point to "remember to write that down!"
                    In between riding days, I will mentally review my usual equitation issues and the laundry list of prompts to fix them. I do as much throughout the week to get the most from my limited instruction time. Best of luck! If you can only ride more frequently for short periods of time, take advantage of it while you can, and don't feel bad if it's no as much as you like. For most of us mortals, our level of horsey involvement ebbs and flows throughout our lives. There will be intense times and less involved times but the horses will be there in some way no matter what!
                    Last edited by bits619; May. 27, 2011, 10:07 PM. Reason: Even more to say haha!

Comment

When I had a 2 hour commute (4-hour round trip), I lessoned 2-3 times a week. All lesson costs were included in board, so it cost the same wether I lessoned 20x a month or

Now my trainer comes to me once a week and I pay per lesson.

Comment

Another re-rerider after ten years (and two babies I ride twice a week most weeks, on school horses. It's 35 minutes on the freeway, but I'm lucky enough to carpool on the weekends.

I just started throwing in the odd hack. It's really remarkable how much better I am when I can get that third ride in. No substitute for time in the saddle.

Comment

I'm as green as they come (I did one summer session of eq lessons 35 years ago) so I am learning everything all over again.

I ride at least three times a week and either one or two of those days are lessons. The balance are hacks to drill what my trainer has been working me on.

I do a half lease at the barn, and depending on what's going on on weekends there (BO/trainer not showing, me not having other sports) I'll ride the balance of the lease on weekends.

Oh, the barn is 20 min away and my car gets 40 mpg, so that eases some of the pain.

Comment

I'm a rerider as well, and have two young horses, both just turned six and are still plenty on the green side. I keep them at home and trailer out for lessons. For the past few months I've been doing two a week, one on each horse. But I ride at the same time as my trainer 5 days a week, so she ends up giving me a lot of mini lessons in between.

I was doing one a week, alternating horses, but for jumping, it just wasn't enough for either of them to really progress at this point in their careers. Now that it is 'summer' and I use that term lightly looking outside, I will likely drop it back to once a week since I can ride at home and jump whenever I want. Weeks when I have shows, we'll just do lessons in the warm ups likely.

Comment

Originally posted by FertilizerLeaves View Post
                              (Hm, I don't drive a Jeep Wrangler....maybe I just speed...excessively)
                              Do you do a lot of city driving? From my front door to the barn is 55 minutes and it's exactly 50 miles away. Only about 6 minutes worth of traffic, then it's open road. (Aside from a tractor here and there.) That might have something to do with it.

So maybe, it's worth it, even just for a month so I can feel like I'm progressing.
                              I think it will be worth it. If nothing else, give it a month and see how you feel.

To me, it feels like I'm less lost at the beginning of a lesson. Like when you get on after a week off and you have to shimmy around in your saddle a bit, get the feel of posting or doing the sitting trot, getting acclimated again. All that seems to come back to me much, much faster when I'm lessoning 2x a week. Plus, if you have a bad lesson, you'll have another in a few days. Mentally, that works wonders. Otherwise, I sit around for a week and beat myself up over why things went South.
                              The dude abides ...

Comment

Another adult re-rider - I've been riding again for about 1.5 years, and I lesson once a week because that's what I can afford. And while I was making progress, I seem to have stalled, thanks to having missed a fair # of lessons over the last couple months due to allergies killing me I do think that being able to do occasional practice rides (unsupervised hour long flat rides, cheaper than a lesson) has helped immensely.

I think the once a week is starting to be a bit problematic in that we alternate jump and flat weeks, and I need to jump more consistently in order to not lose my courage! I'm moving in a month and changing barns (my instructor is conveniently moving too, and close to where I will be - yay!) - new barn is cheaper, so I'm hoping to lesson 2x a week then.

ETA - gas for me is minimal right now, as the barn is 10 mins away! When we move, the new barn will be 25 mins away.
                                Last edited by RolyPolyPony; May. 28, 2011, 07:38 AM. Reason: Info about gas/distance.

Comment

I only lesson once or twice in the spring before show season, then every day I am at a show (generally 3 weekends a month)...however, saying that I have an ultimate packer and he doesnt "do" winter.

I have a greenie now, so will probably pick up a few extra with him...but cant commit to weekly lessons.

Comment

Another adult re-rider (isn't it wonderful to be back?!) and was lessoning 2 times per week on a school horse when I started back up a few years ago. 2-3 weekly on a subsequent lease horse, and now I'm in 3 or 4 lessons weekly on my own horse. Bumping up from 2 to 3 was when I felt myself progressing more solidly, for what it is worth...
                                    Atlas: Jag älskar min häst!

"Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning."

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by bits619 View Post
                                      Eta : I keep a binder of notes about my lessons and rides. Don't read it as often as I should but it helps sink things into my thick skull if I write soon after I finish. I'll find that I repeat things in my head as trainer says them, with the sole point to "remember to write that down!"
                                      In between riding days, I will mentally review my usual equitation issues and the laundry list of prompts to fix them. I do as much throughout the week to get the most from my limited instruction time. Best of luck! If you can only ride more frequently for short periods of time, take advantage of it while you can, and don't feel bad if it's no as much as you like. For most of us mortals, our level of horsey involvement ebbs and flows throughout our lives. There will be intense times and less involved times but the horses will be there in some way no matter what!
                                      I like the binder idea. With college, I've become a I-can't-remember-unless-I-write-it-down type of person.

Yeah, I feel like things did go up. But then again, the last time I rode I was a junior so there was a disconnect between the cost of things. Hmmm, maybe that's why I worked at the barn so much. I see what my parents did there.

Awesome, thanks for the ideas. I think writing things down and video-taping will help get more out of the lesson. With my university, included in all those fees is a gym membership, so that could be useful!

Comment

Yet another adult, but actually only started riding about 2 1/2 years ago. Lesson once a week in the winter typically and now am going to start back to lessoning twice a week. I lease one of the school horses when the college kids are gone and right now am riding 4 days a week. I do make more progress when I ride more often and really improve when I lesson two days back to back.

Comment

Working...
                                        X