• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Handy Hunter Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handy Hunter Questions

I watched some Handy Hunter rounds at a horse show this weekend and had some general questions to better understand the results I saw. I didn't show much in the hunters as a junior, only eq and jumpers, and haven't paid that much attention since then. With all of these new more interesting hunter classes, I am finding myself interested in the hunters again. I am going to read the USEF specs and search for some pro rounds on youtube, but wanted to get some "real world" feed back too.

1. What gait should a horse land in after a trot jump for a handy round?
    2. How should people handle turns in a handy class?
    3. How to best show off the hand gallop jump? If there is a tighter turn option to a hand gallop jump, does that change the best approach?
    4. What is the best way to enter/ exit the ring?
    5. Beyond the normal things being judged in a hunter class, such as rhythm/ smoothness, jumping style, what else is being judged? What makes a round stand out?

Thank you for any opinions, I am just trying to educate myself. I have a horse that I am hoping to develop into a nice hunter over the next few years and want to understand where we're headed.

Originally posted by M. Owen View Post
    1. What gait should a horse land in after a trot jump for a handy round?
    2. How should people handle turns in a handy class?
    3. How to best show off the hand gallop jump? If there is a tighter turn option to a hand gallop jump, does that change the best approach?
    4. What is the best way to enter/ exit the ring?
    5. Beyond the normal things being judged in a hunter class, such as rhythm/ smoothness, jumping style, what else is being judged? What makes a round stand out?
    1. Canter
    2. Tighter turns than in a regular hunter course, but still smooth and flowing.
    3. The track you take should be whatever allows your horse to show off it's hand gallop best. If it can hand gallop a tight turn really well then go for it.
    4. You have to walk, but avoiding the opening and closing circle and going straight to the first jump/out right after the last jump, if possible, is nice.
    5. The judge is just looking for a "handy" horse, turnable, ridable, a little bit more "brilliance" than a regular hunter round.

Handy hunter classes fall somewhere in between a regular class and a derby.
    Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
    Like us on Facebook!

Comment

You don't always have to walk into the ring for your handy. I have seen plenty of riders pick up the canter from a halt at the in gate and enter the ring cantering.

Comment

I agree with the above, however, one thing I think a "handy" needs to show is adjustability. That is, I would try and show on a "tight turn" a more collected canter and ride more to the base off a tight turn and then show a nicely forward gallop to the long approach fence with the horse "standing off" the fence more.
        www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Originally posted by ponymom64 View Post
          You don't always have to walk into the ring for your handy. I have seen plenty of riders pick up the canter from a halt at the in gate and enter the ring cantering.
          As far as I'm aware the rules are still the same and you have to pass through the gate at the walk. As soon as you're in the ring you can do whatever you want, but you have to walk in and out.
          Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
          Like us on Facebook!

Comment

You are correct; from the rule book: No course may have exhibitors trotting or cantering through the in-gate or out-gate; any exhibitor choosing to trot or canter through the in-gate or out-gate will be eliminated.

Comment

It is actually a USEF rule that you must enter the ring at the walk. You can pick up the canter as soon as you step through the in-gate, but you must enter at the walk.

ETA - whoops. y'all beat me to it, lol

Comment

• Original Poster

If the trot jump were last, after landing from the trot jump what would be the best thing to do before exiting the ring? I saw many different things occur in the classes, so I couldn't tell what is "correct" based on the pinning. I know hunters is subjective and riders should do what shows off their horse best, it is just that some of the things were such shades of gray, and sometimes I saw a round I really liked that didn't get the score/ placing I would have thought. Some of what I watched were parts of derbies too (not USHJA), with open numerical scoring so I was able to get a feel for what the judges were thinking as each round went.

I have come to the conclusion I need to watch A LOT more hunter rounds to watch nuances. I can tell a "good" round from a "bad" round, but I when most of the rounds are good I can't always spot the minute differences that disinguish the top rounds. I think I used to be better at my ring side "judging", lol.

Comment

It's still a Hunter class judged on style, pace and quality. The handy tests are secondary to the overall score and, far as I know, it is NOT judged 50/50.

Thats where you get the grey areas-you got a brilliant horse that sits on about a 90 over the fences, maybe flubs a little on a trot fence or fakes a hand gallop (one or the other, not both), still going to be 84+ overall. Another may score a 78 over fences, no major errors just not fancy, and be absolutlely perfect on the handy part-still probably end up 2nd, lucky to break 80.

That is where it can be very subjective. Different judges will have different preferences as in the non handy Hunter classes.
                  When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Well, I was standing by the gate yesterday when Sam Schaefer picked up the canter at the in gate and she scored a 95....

She walked up to the gate, halted, then cantered in.

Also, was at Saugerties last summer and a horse cantered in from the schooling area, under the bridge and into the ring. She was not eliminated and received a score.

Comment

But she picked it up AT the gate, not outside it cantering thru it. At least I am assuming that is how it was interpreted. Once she got to the gate and halted, they defined it as in the ring.

Bit of a grey area but bet that is it.
                      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

The best description of handy turns I've heard is that they're supposed to be more forward and flowing/less controlled than your typical eq turn.

Comment

Originally posted by HunterRider992 View Post
                          The best description of handy turns I've heard is that they're supposed to be more forward and flowing/less controlled than your typical eq turn.
                          Maybe more forward but certainly not out of control - it should look like your horse is obedient about handy inside / rollback turns - not discombobulated and out of control.

Comment

rule

Just because someone did it, doesn't mean it's legal or right. It's in there so that people standing at the ingate are not hurt. It's in the rule book.
                            It's 2016. Do you know where your old horse is?

Comment

Well, I was standing by the gate yesterday when Sam Schaefer picked up the canter at the in gate and she scored a 95....

She walked up to the gate, halted, then cantered in.

Also, was at Saugerties last summer and a horse cantered in from the schooling area, under the bridge and into the ring. She was not eliminated and received a score.
                              First one is legal. Walk to gate, halt. Canter to jump.

Second one is 1 million percent illegal! That person should not have received a score. Unfortunately the judges don't always follow the rules.

Comment

I thought it was a USEF rule that you HAD to walk in and out of the gate. I mean through the actual opening, the next step can be a canter step but you can't come blasting in the ring with a running head start... At least that's my understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by klmck63 View Post
                                  As far as I'm aware the rules are still the same and you have to pass through the gate at the walk. As soon as you're in the ring you can do whatever you want, but you have to walk in and out.
                                  Sorry didn't see this before posting my comment above.

Comment

I believe the rule about walking in and out is only for hunter and equitation classes. Jumpers do not have the same rule.

If it was not a jumper class, the entry should have been eliminated. Sometimes the judge might not see it if s/he is looking down marking the card from the previous round.

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post
                                      I believe the rule about walking in and out is only for hunter and equitation classes. Jumpers do not have the same rule.

If it was not a jumper class, the entry should have been eliminated. Sometimes the judge might not see it if s/he is looking down marking the card from the previous round.
                                      It was a Junior handy, I was surprised that it received a score but it did. It is possible that the judge didn't see it, as the bridge is behind and to the right of the judges stand in that ring.

As for the hunter and equitation classes, in my other example above, the rider walked up to the in gate, halted and then picked up the canter directly from the halt. She did not canter through the gate but picked it up from the halt after standing in the gate waiting for the previous rider to exit the ring. I was standing next to her trainer, and several BNT and they all instructed their riders to do the same. The three riders I saw, all received scores in the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhody Ram View Post
                                        First one is legal. Walk to gate, halt. Canter to jump.

Second one is 1 million percent illegal! That person should not have received a score. Unfortunately the judges don't always follow the rules.
                                        It is legal if you ask the in-gate person, they okay it and clear the area for you to go through.

Comment

Working...
                                        X