• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Summer Camp Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Camp Ideas

It is about that time of year again and I will be assisting at a summer camp for kids ages 5-13ish. I was wondering if anyone had some really unique/cool ideas for things for the kids to do. It would be really awesome for the younger ones to learn more about horse care and other things they don't get to learn during the rest of the year during their lessons(most don't own their own ponies, they just take lessons). Anyone have good ideas for activites?

Taking apart bridles and learning how to put them back together. Parts of the horse. Learning bits. Horseless horse show. Designing courses (with maybe the best one being made into a crossrail/ground pole course for a lesson?) Painting horse shoes. Making arts and crafts for the horses stalls. Grooming contests.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks! They already paint horse shoes and do toooonnsss of arts and crafts so I was thinking the other ideas might be better. When I did summer horse camps we learned all aspects of riding, from how to clean a stall to how to determine what type/how much feed the horse needs. Now there are grooms to do these things and I feel like it is harder for them to be put in a situation where they learn this aspect of horsemanship that is so neccesary.

Comment

When I was younger, my barn had a summer camp that was pretty cool. Some of the non-riding parts were the best parts. They taught us things like how to take a horse's temperature and how to check for gut sounds, respiratory rates, and heart rate. Obviously younger kids aren't going to be able to acurately count the rates and determine if they're normal or not, but it's fun for them to learn and hear the sounds. They also had for us the amount of blood a horse has in their body(fruit punch in gallons) and had a really long rope that showed how long a horses intestines are. We also did some show stuff if they don't already show, like etiquette rules of showing, the difference between the divisions that apply to them, and how to navigate a course (like what a long approach is, courtesy and ending circle, getting consistent strides, etc.) Hope this helps a little!

Comment

You could go over the 'gaits' of the horse on a lunge line, and for each gait have the legs wrapped to show the different beats. Ex: for left lead, RH would be one color, RF & LH another, LF another... im sure you get the point

You could also incorporate course setting into a 'horseless horse show'
          *We tolerate behaviors in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.*
          R.I.P El Salvador*
          [COLOR="SlateGray"]

Comment

I just posted another reply about horse camp activities, but will help you out too

Like you said, now it is often hard to get that horsemanship experience with grooms around. Well, the groom at our barn LOVED the camp kids and offered to help. We had him show the kids how to clean/bed stalls, for example.

Kids learned parts of the horse, then using finger paint, painted the parts on the pony, then learned to give a bath.

Wrapping legs.

Visit from the vet/farrier.

Cleaning tack/parts of tack.

Jumping courses on foot!! Most of our campers are not jumping yet, but they sure get a kick out of running around the arena and us giving them "courses". We teach them about strides, take off/landing, etc.

Our Spring Break camp was a group of beginners, so the first day we did a grooming contest.. 2-3 kids per pony.. they LOVED it. Kids love to groom. We taught clipping, mane pulling, painting feet, etc.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks!

Comment

We've scheduled the teeth floatings during summer camp time so the kids could see the equine dentist at work, and he talked to them a bit and showed them the tools, even passed out a brochure on teeth. We've utilized hay deliveries, where the grower/ owner stopped and talked to the kids a bit about growing hay, baling it, weights, quality, etc. Or ask the farm foreman or manager to talk about what it takes to run a stable. It just takes a few minutes, but we do tip the people for their time, maybe a gift card for Subway Sandwiches or something. Painting jumps, jump poles, even picking up rocks in the arena or a turnout can be fun (and helpful) if it's made into a contest or you paint the biggest, weirdest rocks afterward. Maybe braiding lessons and a braiding contest. Demonstrations of loading horses into trailers. Almost any horse-related thing presented well can be fun at horse camp.

Comment

Let me share something to not do from my own horse camp experience (which I loved, but...):

Don't geld your colts in front of the kids. At 11, I was not quite ready for this and I wasn't the youngest one. Also, don't feed the remains to the dogs in front of the kids. Was even less ready for this and it still kind of disturbs me to this day. Yes yes it's life and it's horse care, but... really?

On a happier note, I loved learning to muck a stall (had never done this until camp), wrap legs, and the basics of feeding. And of course, an entire week spent with horses can never be bad, despite any reproductive medical procedures witnessed at a tender age.
                  If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Comment

Camp ideas

I have been doing camp for years amd here are something on top of something already mentioned that we do .

Make a barn out of popsicle sicks
                    Make T-shirts with the barn name and pony names (takes a while)
                    Make beaded necklaces with the letters so they can make their favorite ponies name on it.
                    Melty beads (make a design and use an iron to melt them adult only with the iron)
                    scavenger hunter of all horse equipment.
                    guess that horse - describe one of the lesson ponies only by breed, color, gender, and markings and see who can guess correctly
                    Horse Bingo - made myself asked questions about horses and horse care. Answers are on the board. Used treats to cover the answers
                    Rock picking game. Being from CT we have lots of rocks. Kids go into teams and each get a small bucket. who ever gets the most buckets of rock under a certain time out of the paddock wins. for some reason they love this game!
                    Bath horses and graze them
                    design their own brush.
                    I know there is more we do but that is just off the top of my head. We do camp for 11 weeks during the summer so we need lots of ideas. Hope this helps!

Comment

Mountain Meadow is a premier overnight summer camp in California if you are looking for a diverse place to send your children.

Comment

Love the "what not to do"... part.

I can add to that:
                        At a "camp" I went to, we had to:

1. Clean out the dirty gooseneck trailer after it had been to several shows
                        2. We were dropped off and left unsupervised at someone else's pool so the trainer could get her hair done
                        3. Ride the barely broke green ponies, with minimal supervision

Most of the camp memories are great, but some of these memories were less than fond...and now I realize my parents paid for this!

Comment

I've been running a barn at a wilderness camp this summer. For non-mounted days the girls loved:

-Grooming
                          -Mucking stalls (we had so many volunteers who wanted to stay for extra class periods just so they could muck....I forgot what a novelty it can be and how fun they can have with it...more power to them! )
                          -Lessons on various saddle/bridle/bit types/purposes
                          -Jumping their own courses of jumps on foot
                          -Splitting into "teams" of trained horses vs. wild horses and herding each other (tied that one in with the jumping day)
                          -Setting up a jump chute and free jumping some of our horses (they LOVED this....had lots of fun cheering them on and some of them got to wield the lunge whip)
                          -"Painting" the horses with sidewalk chalk (just soak it in water for a few minutes...works like a charm)
                          -Bathing the chalk off the horses
                          -Learning about feed and getting to feed the horses

Have fun!

Comment

use a white pony and have them use a not toxic, people safe finger paint to write the parts of the horse all over the pony then let them wash him They will LOVE it!
                            Cornerstone Equestrian
                            Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
                            RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
                            www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Nski32;5568624]You could go over the 'gaits' of the horse on a lunge line, and for each gait have the legs wrapped to show the different beats. Ex: for left lead, RH would be one color, RF & LH another, LF another... im sure you get the point

That is an awesome idea! I am going to use that for my parents! The kids get it but every time we go to a show and I say "they missed a lead" I get a puzzled look.

Comment

Teach them to braid

Comment

Summer camps are fun and I love the photos my friends are sending out of their kids and grandkids. Ahhh, memories of camp as a child.....

How about lunging, riding, etc. and then taking Pulse and Respiration? Know what the resting P&R's are with a stethoscope, watch-clock, and maybe take their temp with a rectal thermometer? A chart for each horse?! Like a pre-vet thing? You never know which future vet you will inspire!

Comment

Working...
                                  X