Sport Horse Spotlight

Carinjo Jumping 1

Real Estate Spotlight

105 DSCN0687

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Where are all the photographers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are all the photographers?

Where are all the show photographers?

I went to three schooling shows this winter at nice facilities. No photographer. Okay, I figured that's becase it was winter and the shows were indoors.

Took him to an A-rated show on Friday. Turnout was HUGE... no show photographer I had emailed show managment to ask ahead of time. Initially they said it would be photographer X, which I then told them was out of business. Never heard back. Shows up... no photog.

I have my horse pre-entered at two other rated shows. So far, it appears neither has a photographer.

Where are the photographers?! Sheesh, I wanna' give you my money but you have to BE there for that to happen!

You would think that big rated shows would be able to get a photographer?! Or that they'd put extra effort into doing so if someone emailed ahead of time to remind them/ask? Do I need to email photographers myself and suggest they approach show managment?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have no idea, I just started showing the A/Os over the winter and there haven't been any photographers. AND I sold my old pony hunter so I would like to waste my money on pretty pictures of my tank! I'm still depressed over the lack of pictures from Woodedge's November mini derby.
    Oh Sweetheart
    Make A Splash
    The Adventures of a College Equestrian

Comment

There were a couple of lengthy threads about this subject awhile back, but I think the jest of them was:

1. Larger horseshows contract with a particular photographer and that photographer pays a fee or commission per photo/booth to show management. It's pretty expensive.

2. The larger shows require more than one photographer to handle several rings and the contracted photographer has to hire additional photographers.

3. Photos to purchase are getting VERY expensive...(see number 1 and 2 above) and show people are getting reluctant to buy them.

4. Some photographers' photos suck.

5. With the advent of easy-to-use cameras that even a dog could shoot a decent photo with have greatly diminished a photographer's ability to sell photos. Everyone's Mom/Dad/friend/groom is now taking photos that are cheap and easy to take and distribute via the web.

I'm sure I missed a few things, but that was the jest of it. It's getting next to impossible for a photographer to make money any more - expenses just too high for what the public is willing to pay for the photo.

Comment

I agree completely with Go Fish. I have shot several shows over the last few years, both contracted by a larger photography business and under my own business. I live in an area of the country that I am within 90 minutes drive of many A shows. But as stated, these larger shows usually like to contract with certain individuals, and it can get very expensive. Photos are increasing in price because everything is going up: gas, materials, etc. I horse show as well, and know that they days are long, but they are also VERY long for the photographers. Standing in 1 spot for 10 hours is tiresome, and having to be on your toes that entire time to get the best shots of every competitor is hard work. Many of the photographers I've worked with over the last few years have told me that they're not making any $.. they're lucky if they cover their expenses nowadays. Plus, people aren't buying.. there might be a few people interested at each show, but the big orders I used to see aren't there anymore. And yes, there are some photographers out there that just aren't great. THey may have nice equipment, (great cameras are everywhere and in so many price ranges, and they quality is really improving for a lower price) so they go and shoot shows.. but some never learned HOW to really shoot at that correct angle.. I would never shoot a horse going over 2' fences the same way I'd shoot a horse going over a 3' 6" fence. There's a lot to know. Right now I'm content to do contract work for larger business on an infrequent basis.

Another thing I'm noticing is that many photographers don't get their name out enough at shows.. so people have NO idea who the photographer is.. or if there was even one there! And if they actually DO have site to order from (which is so easy to do now) it can get complicated..

On an odd side note, I'm even hearing now that there have been so many people wanting to shoot the local shows around here that some have asked for exclusive rights to shoot the event. Interesting.

Comment

Go Fish...you left out the most relevant bullet point which carries more weight than all the reasons you've listed:

6. Copyright theft!

No one enjoys working hard to earn a dollar only to have thieves rob you blind. Hope y'all enjoy the pictures your dog, dad, mom and groom take.
          Tom
          http://www.pbase.com/tnc_photography

Comment

For those of you in the Central Florida area, I have begun offering my services (as an amateur photographer) as a private horse show photographer or farm shoots.

The Equine Media Project

I especially like to get out and meet locals in my area.
            Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
            Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
            Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Comment

At some of the horse shows in my area the photographers have to pay the horse each day they are at the horse show. Many riders look at the proofs, but do not purchase. Between the cost of taking a day off at their business, travel and supply costs, and having to pay a vendor fee - taking pictures does not make good business sense.
              http://STA551.com
              845-363-1875

Comment

• Original Poster

In the alternative, would it be crazy for me to try to hire a photog just to shoot my horse? Then he/she wouldn't have to stand around all day? But then I worry I'd run afoul of the official photographer, should there for some reason actually be one?! For those of you in the business, what would you charge to come out and shoot one horse in one division?
                ~Veronica
                "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Originally posted by vxf111 View Post
                  In the alternative, would it be crazy for me to try to hire a photog just to shoot my horse? Then he/she wouldn't have to stand around all day? But then I worry I'd run afoul of the official photographer, should there for some reason actually be one?! For those of you in the business, what would you charge to come out and shoot one horse in one division?
                  I really can't see why it would be a problem for you to hire someone to come out and shoot you. But, if the contracted photographer for a show who has exclusive rights to shoot there makes a stink about it, and the show gets involved, (a HUGE waste of time) I really couldn't say I'd know the outcome. There are so many people out there with lovely large cameras, your photographer could be a relative, friend etc. that just came out to shoot you. Some will charge by the hour, some not at all, but kinda like a makeup session, they'll expect you to buy something from them. Just remember to look at their work FIRST and make sure it's what you like, so no one wastes their time. As long as your photographer is not shooting other competitors and trying to solicit their business, you should be fine. But, what I'd do is just check with the photographer you'd be interested in hiring and see what their take is on it.

And freelance is right.. copyright is a HUGE issue. I've seen it over and over where riders will go online to see their proofs, snatch the proof, and stick it on Facebook, print it out, etc. People are getting more software/computer savvy, and learning tricks around the protected images. AHHHH the days of receiving your tiny pictures in the mail stapled to an index card...

Comment

Since I am just starting out and I'm in it more for the fun of it than as a way to support myself. I generally charge $100/horse (approximately 4 hours of work) for the entire CD.
                    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
                    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
                    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Comment

not enough people buying

I am a driver, not a rider, but I have a business and vendor at driving shows. We have a lot of time to talk VBG. I asked the well known photographer what he was doing at the driving shows where there are only about 60 competitors instead of being at the big A show where there were hundreds. He said that the hunter people rarely bought photo's and that the fees were to high and he was losing money. He was making a worth while profit at the driving show even with a fraction of the competitors because a good percentage bought photo's and the vendor fee was a fraction of what the hunter shows charged him. Said he didn't plan on doing hunter shows anymore even though management had contacted him and tried to get him to come.

Comment

There are some interesting comments on the thread linked below from James Leslie Parker (ponypix), a very, very experienced show photographer, about the direction he is taking his business. I don't know if this will be an industry-wide trend, but I can imagine it's possible.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=300194

Comment

If the show you're referring to is Four Seasons, when I walked into the jumper ring on Saturday there was someone taking pictures at the far end. I don't know if it was just someone practicing or what, but I didn't know who it was and there were no signs/business cards anywhere. Maybe someone here will know?

The now out of business photographer did a lot of shows around here and seemed to have the staff to photograph 3-4 rings. Maybe shows are struggling to find a replacement that can handle a 3 ring show? Or I guess in this instance they didn't even know he was out of business until you told him so they just didn't have time to find someone else.

makeasplash- check this site for hunter derby pics from November:
                          http://www.ricshafferphotography.com...91528749_9S2H5

Comment

going the way of the dodo unfortunately
                            "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                            carolprudm

Comment

A lot of photographers, like myself, are heading more toward being hired by an individual or group of riders to photograph just them. This way the riders are guaranteed lots of photos of them riding, and I charge a fee up front for just being there so I don't have to gamble that they may or may not buy prints.

My "horse show kit" cost me close to $4k and it's very disheartening to spend all that money on camera equipment, stand in the sun for 8 hours taking photographs, and make zero money out of the whole deal. Then, top it off, within a week there will be screen shots of my work all over facebook, big fat COPYRIGHT across them and everything.

Personally, I'd rather spend all that money on camera equipment, stand and shoot for 8 hours at a wedding, and be guaranteed a big paycheck.
                              http://www.lucysquest.blogspot.com

Custom Painted Saddle Pads and Ornaments

Comment

I think it is because everyone steals their photos... why would they sit at a horse show and put up low resolution photos online when people are totally happy to steal it for FB/their website?

I think it's tacky to stick up a proof photo online... but how many do you see around?

PS - I have hired photographers to photograph just my horses at shows and also at an inspection.
                                Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

Comment

They're done. And your videographers are next to go.

My opinion? The shows should pay them to be there. There is no question in my mind that a quality A show should make sure media services are in place for their exhibitors. This should be one of the perks for shelling out 2 grand for your weekend; guaranteed access to photos and video of said weekend. It's still up to you to buy them, but at least the service providers get paid if you don't.

So guess what they're thinking of? A media fee tacked onto all your other fees. Enjoy!
                                  EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

Comment

Why photographers are not at shows

Bottom line for photographers not being seen at some shows...and more shows will be like that in the future....is.....some shows they actually loose money on. I had five shows last year that I lost money on....and you know there were some that I made only enough to pay taxes...

There are shows that I use to do that had 200 horses...last year I drove seven hours to do it and only 37 horses were there..I didn't make enough to pay my employee and fuel. I have a show that now has more horses than ever....and sales are down 40%. I use to have four trailers...doing four shows per weekend....Now I have one employee....three trailers sitting parked...I use to leave my trailers open during the first couple of days so people could come in a view....but so many kids and Parents were taking photos of my screens...and not buying nothing....caught one adult with a video camera...going thru each and every image of his daughter....

Out of 100 competitors we are only getting about 7 customers.....one reason for this is Dad comes to see his daughter compete..breaks out his pro camera...not only photographing his daughter...but all her friends from the barn...giving or selling them Cd's the following week.

My prices have not gone up in the past five years....unlike fuel....

I wish I could say my equipment only cost me 4,000.00.....

There are many shows I have elected to not shoot this year due to no profit to be made by being there....I suspect there will be more next year....

So, if you know of a show that will be profitable....let me or another professional photographer know....we don't want to sit at home..
                                    www.action-fotos.biz

Comment

Where are the Photographers

Without going back 2-3 years when i first wrote that this was going to happen...Let's look at where we are at today.There are a few ( and I men A FEW) companies out still shooting shows , but there time is running out None of them can make a living taking photos at large horse shows and hoping to sell enough to make it worthwhile. It doesn't matter if you are at WEF, where there are no less than 5 photo companies paying a concession fee ( or not) and there are hordes of wanna be ( and has been) photographers, there is no one who can make a "go" of it. Some are hanging on because they remember when a good photographer, who was willing to work as hard as anyone at a show, could make a nice living doing it. Some think that , if they can only hold on a little longer, the good old days will return. We do most of our shows where we are the only photo group allowed to sell photos. THere will always be a few scabs who think they can get by us and management by claiming they are shooting for one magazine or another. Then we see them shooting everybody, including short stirrup, walk around taking emails from exhibitors and trying to peddle their photos.When is the last time you saw a magazine running photos of short stirrup? We've gotten rid of most of them and the few that are left will have to get a job soon. But truth be told, we don't make enough as THE ONLY photographer to make it worth the time, the investment, or the effort. Luckily, we have found a way around it...by offering our services to the few exhibitors who appreciate great work and are willing to pay for what they want. If we did not have relationships of many years with the shows that have been good and loyal to us....well you know where we would be spending our efforts.. But not everyone can afford our books and we still owe our other clients the opportunity to continue having great photos of their horse , kids, etc. So, for the time being, we still " shoot shows" But that time is running out. I know some of the other photo companies are just waiting for the time that we give it up...They won't survive that long. WE have had a great time doing what we do and , somehow, we will keep finding a way to service those who have been loyal, AND STILL WANT GREAT WORK. As for those who prefer to steal photos or post "good enough" photos of their animals, you're on your own. I do see some very good photographers, who are good people, trying to make a living with what is left of good taste, but I fear that there is no way back. All of the above reasons are part of the problem: but the main issue is the deterioration of taste and pride in how people choose to exhibit the horses and people they love so much. The respect for hard work and talent is an historical footnote. I understand people who don't have the resources to pay for images....But that doesn't include anyone reading this post. As I've said way to many times...We are at a point where "good enough" is just that for most people. But not for us or our loyal and great clients who still take pride and pleasure in how they create and keep their memories. For those people, we get up every day and go out and do what we do....For us "good enough"....isn't. But the next time you wonder where all the photographers have gone, log on to your favorite social network... That's the only place many photographers see their work displayed....Just saying...

Comment

Where are all the Photographers

BTW...Any exhibitor can bring their own photographer to ANY horse show. As long as that photographer does not take photos of anyone who has not hired him, or solicit business while at the show, he is as "allowed" to be as your braider, vet, Physical therapist, portrait artist who is going to paint your horse. The show has the right to limit who can sell or solicit business on their grounds but they have no right to exclude anyone from show grounds without cause. As we might represent many clients at a HS that we are not the "official photographer", we make a point of notifying the manager ( and, in some cases the photographer) of who we are there to shoot and have not found that to be an issue.. Sure, ""the photographer" might think it's unfair, but the exhibitor has the right to have proffessionals at his service when and where he chooses.... I don't think that any show would want to question that option with an exhibitor...Especially a good exhibitor And in these times, all exhibitors should be treated like good exhibitors.

Comment

Working...
                                        X