• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Mallard Springs Farm- SC .. any experience?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    If someone forged the vet's name on documents, someone is going to really get his *** sued off by people who have been ripped off. And the dollar value for fraud is unlimited.
    Hypothetically speaking....

If someone forges the name of a retired vet, does the retired vet face any consequences? I hope not.

Comment

Originally posted by MHM View Post
      Hypothetically speaking....

If someone forges the name of a retired vet, does the retired vet face any consequences? I hope not.
      Legally, no. If the vet's name was signed without his permission, the vet is innocent. If the vet allows someone to use his name, then he is a party to the crime or co-conspirator. But if a client uses a vet's name w/o his permission, then the vet is not liable. We used to have a vet here who did know that one BO was using his Ga license # to order drugs, but he didn't do anything and the woman was never turned in for it. Altho the vet was told, but he said he'd deny knowledge if anyone complained about it.

if someone signed one of your checks w/o your permission, it would be forgery and you would not be liable civilly or criminally. . Forgery is a felony in SC. You can give someone permission to sign your name for legal purposes though.
      I'd think the high sheriff over there is going to be on this case.

Comment

Originally posted by MommaBear View Post
        Re: ChrissyMack (Pinehurst Stables)

While I'm glad that your "risky" purchase ended up okay, your horse was obviously misrepresented, neglected, and possibly abused. Getting a good price is always nice, and yes buying anything sight unseen is risky, but we're not talking about furniture here; because these are living creatures that need to be protected, I truly believe that rather than "count your own blessings" you should have considered the animals left behind, called the local authorities, and maybe this man could have been stopped and the current drama suffered by The Harrier would never have happened.
        I don't think there is a need to hide behind an alter with this as your first post- I take no offense, and we're all wanting the best outcome for this situation.

I truly feel for The Harrier and her situation, and any others who had similar experiences, and most of all, the horses that are involved. However, the OP asked for any and all experiences to share, and I have shared my own.

In my case, the horse that we received was not represented much differently than what was seen and discussed (with the exception of his not mentioning some prior fever lines on the feet). While underweight relative to how we keep our own horses, he was still of reasonable weight and otherwise healthy, it was not evident that he had been directly neglected or abused, and no grounds for local authorities to be called.

Now that I have been made aware of hers and others stories, I am happy to help in any way I am able and can provide any information that will be helpful to them. However, my own firsthand experience was (fortunately!), not near to the extent or concern that theirs are. As another poster mentioned, this may just be due to the fact that the horse we purchased may not have been at MSF for the same length of time.

I think, however, to indirectly imply that it is my fault that MSF is still involved in less than desireable practices and/or that I am indirectly responsible for the situation The Harrier is going through with her horses is a bit of a stretch
        Last edited by chrissymack; Apr. 28, 2011, 04:11 PM.
        www.PinehurstStables.com

Comment

*fires up the Dueling Banjos"
          Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

Just looked up the health cert/coggins, and for the record (if it was still in question), indeed MSF IS Thompson Moore- he's listed as the owner on both papers.
            Both docs were done by legit vets at Southern Equine Service in Aiken.
            www.PinehurstStables.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by chrissymack View Post
              Just looked up the health cert/coggins, and for the record (if it was still in question), indeed MSF IS Thompson Moore- he's listed as the owner on both papers.
              Both docs were done by legit vets at Southern Equine Service in Aiken.
              Wow, just wow.

Fwiw, if anyone is pursuing legal action against him from out of state I offer a bedroom complete with dog kisses if you need to be in court. Although I am 45 mins from Greenwood county.

Eta, I don't think anyone is directly accusing christymack for not possibly being able to stop what happen to the other horses. And I do agree, it is buyer beware, I have purchased 2 horses sight unseen from across the country due to cheap price. I am glad that this has become public knowledge, I hate seeing people who do this, especially multiple times. I am a whitsleblower in general, and I wish there was more I could do, but other than the typical lawyer threats I've never directly dealt with him.
              Fourth N' Goal Training LLC.
              ~Specializing in Mom and Kid Approved Equitation and Jumper Horses

*Horse Collector Status = Six Pack*

Comment

I don't think there is a need to hide behind an alter with this as your first post- I take no offense, and we're all wanting the best outcome for this situation.

I truly feel for The Harrier and her situation, and any others who had similar experiences, and most of all, the horses that are involved. However, the OP asked for any and all experiences to share, and I have shared my own.

In my case, the horse that we received was not represented much differently than what was seen and discussed (with the exception of his not mentioning some prior fever lines on the feet). While underweight relative to how we keep our own horses, he was still of reasonable weight and otherwise healthy, it was not evident that he had been directly neglected or abused, and no grounds for local authorities to be called.

Now that I have been made aware of hers and others stories, I am happy to help in any way I am able and can provide any information that will be helpful to them. However, my own firsthand experience was (fortunately!), not near to the extent or concern that theirs are. As another poster mentioned, this may just be due to the fact that the horse we purchased may not have been at MSF for the same length of time.

I think, however, to indirectly imply that it is my fault that MSF is still involved in less than desireable practices and/or that I am indirectly responsible for the situation The Harrier is going through with her horses is a bit of a stretch.
                First of all, I am not using an alter. I don't know how to check IP addresses but I assure you it is not me. I have forwarded this link to friends and family so it could be someone on my bandwagon but in no way do I think you are responsible for anything pertaining to this man and the treatment of his horses. I am SO GLAD that your horse arrived to you in decent shape but I think the bottom line is that nobody wants to see this happen to anyone else and to make sure that no other animals are suffering. I think with every forum you are going to see some "healthy" debate - but take from it what you may. Lets keep this light everyone! No pointing fingers here, just trying to do whats right for the critters that don't have a voice otherwise.

Comment

I think, however, to indirectly imply that it is my fault that MSF is still involved in less than desireable practices and/or that I am indirectly responsible for the situation The Harrier is going through with her horses is a bit of a stretch.
                  An alter? This is indeed my first post. I have been reading the chronicle for years & never felt a need to post until my blood boiled at your "cavalier" tutorial on "buyer beware". I was so outraged that you were feeling so "lucky" that things turned out so well for you and tacitly berating the poor soul who was flamboozled, I was "compelled" to JOIN and REPLY.

Your post clearly indicated that the horse you received had been neglected and you had a responsibility to report the neglect rather than to feel "fortunate" & ignore the possibility that there might be more creatures being neglected and abused. Shame on you.

Comment

Whoa there, MommaBear

I understand your feelings about ChrissyMack's post, I don't think she meant to be as "cavalier" as she may have come across. She simply offered a story about MSF that went against the grain, thats all...

Let's not forget that this thread is about Thompson and his quackery and quattlebaumery- we should unite to find a solution to the problem that is Mr. Moore! Leave ChrissyMack for the time being, as I'm reasonably confident that she actually feeds her horses

Comment

I'm smelling popcorn!
                      ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                      Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

Agreed

It is sometimes difficult to discern a "state of mind" through a post and when it comes to the welfare of animals, I AM easily outraged (which is not always a good thing!) So as I was reading this thread, I was looking for not just empathy for the people being duped and the animals being mistreated, but a plan of action to make sure it doesn't happen again. The post in question gave me an uncomfortable feeling that getting "lucky" was better than being proactive about animal neglect. That being said, you are absolutely right that the imperative is to stop what's happening both to the buyers and the animals and I'm totally impressed with the help being offered here.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkpony321 View Post
                          I understand your feelings about ChrissyMack's post, I don't think she meant to be as "cavalier" as she may have come across. She simply offered a story about MSF that went against the grain, thats all...

Let's not forget that this thread is about Thompson and his quackery and quattlebaumery- we should unite to find a solution to the problem that is Mr. Moore! Leave ChrissyMack for the time being, as I'm reasonably confident that she actually feeds her horses
                          Couldn't have said it better myself, however, I do think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and way of expressing their feelings. Right or wrong, everyone handles things differently. I think chrissymack did come off a bit "cavalier" at first, but she also came off as rational and compassionate - and I can respect that. On a different note - Quattlebaumery - LOVE IT. I think this needs to be added to the unwritten dictionary of the horse world.

UPDATE: In terms of the horses - little grey known as "Cascade" still has a VERY swollen lymphnode. Normal vitals still and just as sweet as can be. Very head shy but I am going to blame that on his painful lymphnode. The chestnut known as "Odessy" is still pretty ouchy on his foundered foot but his reverse shoe seems to be helping him get around. Our farrier comes out Thursday to set him up with pads and a bar shoe. I think he's going to make a wonderful pasture ornament as he is just stunning to look at. Gave both kisses and lots of hay and tucked them in for the night.

Comment

I'm so glad those two found a home with you and hope they continue to improve. So sorry for those left behind.
                            Last edited by Carolinadreamin'; Apr. 20, 2011, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I work during the day (and don't get a chance to watch the horses go), but in talking about our MSF horse today, my husband made me aware that the horse roars, which had not been disclosed to us, despite having asked directly about vices/health issues/unsoundness...so it sounds like even in our case (although not as extreme or alarming), while still a lovely horse, we were sold something other than what was described, and the seller was less than forthcoming/honest.
                              www.PinehurstStables.com

Comment

It is hard to believe they are the same horses. Wow.

So glad they landed with you.

Comment

Can someone local call the ASPCA on this guy?

Comment

Turns out the health certificate and coggins were done by a legitimate vet, however, (wait for it) they were done at the vale horse auction in NC. Spoke with the vet and he claims that the horses he saw had shoes on and there was no horse that foundered...hmmm. Whatever the case may be, the vet was very helpful and said that he was told these horses had been traveling for about two weeks and that was the "reason" for them being skinny. The vet said he reassured him that this should not happen during travel. Not sure what the TRUE story is but we will see.
                                    Last edited by TheHarrier; Apr. 22, 2011, 03:32 PM.

Comment

This is getting stranger and stranger. TheHarrier, I'm sorry for what you've been through with these poor horses and commend you for not giving up the fight!

Comment

I think it is just a local auction, like many in NC and SC where just about any sort of horse may show up. Since there are rarely "kill buyers" anymore they are just "low end" auctions. Some horses are actually "dumped" at the auction house! Of course, I imagine it wouldn't be hard to photoshop a thin horse to look like a fatter horse......just saying
                                        www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Anyone care to speculate on what might have happened at the auction? Is it possible that the vet examined stand-ins?

Comment

Working...
                                          X