• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

UPDATE!: I want my horse back! HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE!: I want my horse back! HELP!

I'll try to keep this as simple as possible:
    My horse is a 14 year old, been there, done that, got the t-shirt type. Steady Eddy, the resident go-to-guy for anything that might become a little hairy (ponying, beginner rides, babysitting..etc)
    Over the last 3 weeks, he has taken to bucking - big bucks. He has not managed to get anyone off, but quite frankly, its scares me. He's my perfect pal, I expect it from my 4 year old, but not from him!
    Yesterday he showed with a "beginner" - not exactly a novice, but certainly not someone who deserves to be dealing with bucks. He did not buck on the flat classes, pinning 1st in all 3, but bucked in EVERY SINGLE jumping class. Big Bucks, Bucks she was proud she was able to sit to.

He's always been a little tense over-fences, nothing awful though. I've always suspected poor saddle-fitting, but my trainer and vet say its fine.

Before the show, he was lunged without tack and he was super slow, steady, and not a buck in sight, not even over cavaletti work. But at the show, he bucked over crossrails.

I called the best soundness vet in the area to come out next week - he's also a chiropractor.

I guess in the meantime I'm looking for, "your boy will resurface eventually"

UPDATE 4-18-11:
    Vet/Chiro came out. Gave him a once over, said his hooves look good and he doesn't seem to be sore there. He was very tight and out of alignment at his poll which was causing his whither area to spasm a tiny bit. Once he released his poll, The tiny spasms on his back stopped all together. He was sore no-where else. Not even his back or hind end. I was expecting his back to be sore, becaue he has a 2 small white marks where the saddle lies, but the vet said it is quite possible that the saddle pad rubs, since he has sensitive skin.

The vet was concerned that something might be wrong with his teeth that was causing him to tense at the poll. Of course, being that my horse can smell a vet, he didn't want to let him anywhere near his mouth. So my next step is to get the dentist out and see if we can rule out teeth as a cause for his poll being so out of whack.

We spoke about the possibility of ulcers/lyme, but did not want to go into those diagnostics until his teeth were checked over and done. He doesn't live a stressed life and aside from being more grumpy under saddle, doesn't really display any lyme symptoms.

Now my question is:
    Can a problem poll have been the cause of the bucking? I'm going to ride on Wednesday and see for myself, but not holding my breath that the bucking stopped!

I've purchased a thinline saddle pad, but the vet/chiro said he did not see a need for my saddle to be reflocked just yet. It seemed to fit him ok, and he was not at all back sore from it.

UGH, this horse is lucky I love him so much!
    Last edited by TesignedInGold; Apr. 18, 2011, 06:36 PM.

Never the type to jump on the "he's in pain" wagon but I've got to say...it sounds like he's in pain; that or there's something up with his diet or something similar.

Horses in their teens that have been steady-eddies their whole lives don't suddenly develop behavioral issues that culminate in bucking fits; the key word being "suddenly".

Let us know what the vets find; I'd be curious to know.
    \"Don\'t go throwing effort after foolishness\" >>>Spur, Man From Snowy River

Comment

To me, that sounds like pain. He is trying to tell you something is wrong. I think you have taken the appropriate measures at this point. If the vet cannot find anything wrong I would think about having a professional saddle fitter come out and take a look.

Good luck, the good ones are hard to find. He will come back to his old self, you just have to figure out what is bugging him first! Maybe just giving him a few weeks off will help too?

Comment

I was going to say chiro, but you've got that covered. Good luck!
        Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
        Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
        VW sucks.

Comment

Check your saddle fit too. I quit riding my horse for a few years due to unpredictable bucking. Just brought him back to work after 2 1/2 years of being the companion to my primary riding horse. New saddle, a cheap Thorogood Broadback, and no bucking! But my guess is that you will find something bothering his back or hocks. He'll be back once you fix things. It's his only way to communicate that something is bothering him. Good for you for listening!

Comment

I would first have a thorough vet check. At this age he is likely going thru some arthritic changes and may need some sort of maintenance for that. Also, I have had many "Steady eddies" that went thru a period in the spring where they kind of "lost it". But first get him checked BY A VET not a chiro. ANother thought, it sounds liek a lot of different riders may be riding this horse, and novices. If so he may be showing displeasure at some of the things they are doing. Might need some "tuneup" rides by a pro to get him back on track.
            www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice.

The chiro I have called out, is a vet as well - so killing two birds with one stone. He will check him over thoroughly as a vet, then adjust him if need be.

He is on MSM, and gets the 7-series adequan done yearly.

He had the majority of the winter off, as he normally does. (We show from March-November, and I give him off December, January, February.) At first I thought it might just be spring fever, but given that he's had every winter off for 6 years, his "spring fever" has never been this bad!

Shawnee - He only really has myself, and 1 "novice" rider on him, for the last year or so. Over the years he has taught many riders to ride, has put up with the beginners bouncing and making mistakes. He has never reacted, particularly with a beginner. He will often voice his displeasure to myself or my trainer, but usually its just a few hops, nothing like he's doing now.

I guess I'm just upset that something is bothering him, and its taken bucking fits for me to realize it. He certainly has his quirks, but this is the horse that lets you hook him up to a sled and go sledding through snow, ride bareback on the trails, team-pen, and show in the 3 foot hunters, all in the same weekend!

Comment

Has his feed been changed? Might be as simple as that!

Comment

• Original Poster

No feed change, no decline in turnout, same pasture buddies for the last few years.

The only other thing I can come up with, is pain.

Comment

You've got a vet/chiro coming, so you'll probably know soon enough. A chiro will also be able to tell if saddle fit is an issue (I'd suspect it is just because he's gotten unfit over the winter and now back to work, so his body will be different than the last time he used the saddle.)

Since it's mostly over fences, I'd also consider hocks and feet.

And since he's put back to work and going to shows, just for giggles, give him one full tube of ulcergard once a day for 7-10 days and see if that makes a difference.

good luck!

Comment

I didn't check to see where you're from but sometimes for us in the New England area, when our horses start acting grouchy or different, we do the lyme titer first.
                      Always wanted to know how the jet set live, now I own one

Comment

Originally posted by Czar View Post
                        Never the type to jump on the "he's in pain" wagon but I've got to say...it sounds like he's in pain; that or there's something up with his diet or something similar.

Horses in their teens that have been steady-eddies their whole lives don't suddenly develop behavioral issues that culminate in bucking fits; the key word being "suddenly".

Let us know what the vets find; I'd be curious to know.
                        I'm neither one to jump on the "he's in pain" bandwagon but have to agree with the above... though I doubt it's (automatically) an arthritic or hocks problem unless the vet really suspects as such.

When my 13yo-at-the-time (been-there-done-that-got-the-tee-shirt) started being resistant and bucking, it was a pain issue. I would especially suspect as such if he were doing it with a beginner or novice!

I think wait for that second opinion and see. Something's up. Good luck and please update us, I think I can speak for others here too in that we love learning!
                        ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                        ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JetSetjr View Post
                          I didn't check to see where you're from but sometimes for us in the New England area, when our horses start acting grouchy or different, we do the lyme titer first.
                          Agreed for SE PA. My previous trainer spent lots of money on vet bills for two separate horses trying to figure out what was wrong, both turned out to be Lyme's. Now she's upped the tick prevention measures and gets Lyme tests as soon as she notices something's wrong.
                          "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

• Original Poster

I am in NJ, so lymes is definitely a possibility and I will add it to my list to mention it to the vet/chiro. What are some of the other signs of lymes? I can't really notice any other differences - no change in appetite, no less or more grumpy then usual, coat looks great, he's shedding just fine.

His feet were done on Friday, all looked fine, no reason for concern. He's seen the same farrier for 6 years, and I trust him entirely. (I bought this horse with the assumption that he had "navicular." - Turns out, he just had a bad farrier job done, and my farrier has been shoeing him since the day I bought him, and he has not had a lame day.)

It is so worrisome when a horse, who hasn't bucked in the 6 years I've owned him, decides to take a liking to throwing his hind end around. Especially when I'm not expecting it from him, and therefore riding a little less defensively then I would on my almost-4-year old mare.

I expect pain somewhere, due mostly to the fact that when lunged without tack, He goes along just fine - slowly, relaxed, swaps leads without so much as an ear flick. The minute you add a rider, his demeanor changes and he gets much more tense - particularly during the jumping.

Comment

Ulcers, try ulcergard (non prescription) or get the vet to write you a script for Gastrogard. Sounds like ulcers to me.
                              kenyagirl

Comment

Just check the usual: saddle fit, have the vet do a once over, maybe a chiro adjustment, and have his teeth checked too. My mare is fairly hot (OK, just plain wild) but she usually has brakes. When she started bucking/running last spring, it was because she'd been forgotten when everyone had their teeth done. One float later, I had a significantly happier mare.

Comment

We just treat for lymes. The titer test is not 100% accurate. We've had horses with no symptoms have a high titer and horses with all the symptoms have low/normal titer. A round or two of doxy always seemed to do the trick.
                                  "Using draw reins without spurs is like going to the bar with no underwear on. You're just waiting to get f***ed."

Comment

I would check for Lymes. My mare has had it for a year and we are treating her for a third time as she has all of a sudden started with Hip/SI pain and bucking. It can make them grouchy too.

Comment

How's the rider? Bouncy, tight knees, hands ?? Can they handle the jump or are they left behind? Could soreness or sourness be caused by rider error? Check the teeth too....

Originally posted by TesignedInGold View Post
                                      I'll try to keep this as simple as possible:
                                      My horse is a 14 year old, been there, done that, got the t-shirt type. Steady Eddy, the resident go-to-guy for anything that might become a little hairy (ponying, beginner rides, babysitting..etc)
                                      Over the last 3 weeks, he has taken to bucking - big bucks. He has not managed to get anyone off, but quite frankly, its scares me. He's my perfect pal, I expect it from my 4 year old, but not from him!
                                      Yesterday he showed with a "beginner" - not exactly a novice, but certainly not someone who deserves to be dealing with bucks. He did not buck on the flat classes, pinning 1st in all 3, but bucked in EVERY SINGLE jumping class. Big Bucks, Bucks she was proud she was able to sit to.

He's always been a little tense over-fences, nothing awful though. I've always suspected poor saddle-fitting, but my trainer and vet say its fine.

Before the show, he was lunged without tack and he was super slow, steady, and not a buck in sight, not even over cavaletti work. But at the show, he bucked over crossrails.

I called the best soundness vet in the area to come out next week - he's also a chiropractor.

I guess in the meantime I'm looking for, "your boy will resurface eventually"

Comment

Have you lunged him over jumps or free jumped him? You say he's fine on the lunge at the w/t/c, but to help rule out jumping pain, try free jumping him just a bit.

Agree on the lymes. They can really get grumpy and resistent. Very treatable with doxy.

Good for you for listening to your man. Hope he feels better soon!
                                        Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

Comment

Working...
                                        X