• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tell Me About Vienna Reins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell Me About Vienna Reins

I've seen vienna reins mentioned a few times in discussions here, but I haven't heard much about them, nor have I seen them used. It is my understanding that they are a training tool used prominently in Europe and just started leaking over here to North America recently.

I've read a bit online, but I would love to hear personal experiences/opinions. What do you like or dislike about them? How do you compare them to side reins? To a chambon?

(For reference, I have a 3yo WB mare whom I rode for the first time today. Her summer is going to consist of very light riding (both due to her age and my work constraints), and hopefully hacking as much as possible.

She's been lunged a few times and has picked it up very quickly. I have never been huge on lunging for training, but find sometimes it's easiest for them to learn themselves vs from a rider. I have no concerns with trying to establish a frame/head set, but wouldn't be opposed to using a tool to help her learn to balance properly and develop the muscles she'll need for undersaddle work.

I also have no intention of lunging her all the time, but wouldn't necessarily be opposed to sticking her on the lunge for 15 minutes before a ride once or week or something like that.)

TIA.

I dunno about recent--mine are at least 15 years old. I like them because they seem to let the horse figure out on his own where he's most comfortable vis-a-vis his head carriage.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

I use them and LOVE them. It's also good if you have a horse that likes to lean and dump on their forehand... there's nothing to lean on. Also great for keeping a horse from locking up over their back.
      "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

• Original Poster

Do you both use them with a surcingle, or have you found an alternative way to just use them with your saddle?

Comment

I use ours with a saddle or a surcingle. For the saddle - it loops on the girth, then through the bit on each side, and back to the girth low.

Comment

• Original Poster

So, you use the first method described on this website? They explain it that the first method is more beneficial, which kind of makes sense.

http://www.classicaldressage.co.uk/h...nna_reins.html

Comment

Love them too.....Best for longing

For young horses I put them under the Bell like draw reins, then through the bit rings back to saddel or surcingle really deep as i would put side reins. The younger Horse learns to go deep with the neck and i try to keep it active in the behind so it goes relaxed and can build up some muscels and find balance.

Older ones i put the reins like side reins and then up to the surcingle in the rings so i can get it in a frame as i would do while riding.
              For this the horse must be correct on the longe (contact, acceptation of aids).....

The Principles of riding book 4 or 5 i think is all about longing.

Comment

I don't think they have come here recently. I remember seeing them in the mid-eighties... I think that, like any training device, if you don't know how to use it and don't have a trainer that can teach you, you can probably do more damage than good trying to figure it out on your own.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the input so far. They sound like a nice alternative to side reins.

fourmares, I apologize if I am incorrect about when they've become popular over here. I had never seen them myself and was just quoting another COTHer who said they were a recently used training tool. However, I am quite familiar with lunging, and using tools like side reins on both young/green and experienced horses, so I wouldn't exactly say I'm at high risk of harming my mare.

Comment

I use them to lunge on occasion. I usually borrow them from a friend who is the one that introduced me to the idea. She is from Germany and has used them for years, I used to just use side-reins.

I have only used them a handful of times, but have noticed a huge difference. Lease Mare is green, and has a tendency to lock her neck/jaw and be heavy on the forehand. These have helped her to find her own balance, especially at the canter.

The downside is that they (at least the pair friend has which is the same as that advertised in many catalogs) don't have anywhere to be attached when not in use. When I lunge in side reins I would lunge with them clipped on themselves for a few minutes to let the horse loosen up, then attach them to the bit. With these, I have to lunge for a few minutes, stop and add/adjust the Vienna Reins, and then go back to work. It's not big deal, but it would be nice if they were easier to deal with.

The pair I use is the 2nd pair shown on the link. They almost look like a martingale/breast collar strap between the legs. I'd love to try the 1st pair shown but can't find them like that anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
                      I dunno about recent--mine are at least 15 years old. I like them because they seem to let the horse figure out on his own where he's most comfortable vis-a-vis his head carriage.
                      This. I prefer thse to side reins. I find that in side reins the natural movement of the horse's head causes the side reins to pull side to side. I also try to use attachments that don't "force" head carrier, but rather reward it, if that makes any sense.
                      Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
                      Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
                      Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Comment

I use a Pessoa rig with the side ropes that come from around the horse's butt, through a low ring on the surcingle, through the ring at the bit and back to a higher ring on the surcingle.

I first did this about 15 years ago.

Isn't this the same thing as the Vienna reins, except that it has the added advantage of keeping the hind end involved?
                        "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

I had a pair back in the early 70's that I used on a few horses and they worked very well especially with those few that did not work well in side reins.

Back then they were called lauffer reins and mine were made in germany and brought back to the states. I have searched high and low for those darned things and I have no idea whatever became of them. But they do work well as long as the horse is asked to step up to them and not allowed to drift behind them.

Comment

They are about $60.00 at Dover. I made my own with a little hardware and some shock cord. I like them. I think it only cost me about $15.00 to make my own. Makes green OTTB horsey girl figure out how to carry herself I have also been ground driving her a bit as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukluk View Post
                              They are about $60.00 at Dover. I made my own with a little hardware and some shock cord. I like them. I think it only cost me about $15.00 to make my own. Makes green OTTB horsey girl figure out how to carry herself I have also been ground driving her a bit as well.
                              How did you do this? I have a big (17.1hh) TB mare who is very, very long and my Vienna's don't fit her. I can get them on very tightly, but I absolutely do not want to start her like that, especially with her "you can't force me to do nothin'!" personality. I was thinking of trying to create some kind of extension so how, maybe loops around the girth which I then loop the reins through... But, I think my best option may be to make my own now that you brought it up! It is an ingenious idea, I never would have thought of that!

Comment

I made mine from rope & snaps (home depot)

I homemade mine too. My dressage instructor told me how. Just bought some rope (a certain kind/width...it's soft and thin) and snaps from Home Depot.

Used electric tape to secure the snap ends. (thread rope through snap-end, and fold back onto itself by say 3 inches. WRAP the eletric tape around, to secure)

Cost less than $10 bucks.

You just have have a good eye to adjust it properly, because I literally tie it on. (snap the ends onto the bottom of the girth, through the bit and over to the d-rings)

Originally posted by Reagan View Post
                                How did you do this? I have a big (17.1hh) TB mare who is very, very long and my Vienna's don't fit her. I can get them on very tightly, but I absolutely do not want to start her like that, especially with her "you can't force me to do nothin'!" personality. I was thinking of trying to create some kind of extension so how, maybe loops around the girth which I then loop the reins through... But, I think my best option may be to make my own now that you brought it up! It is an ingenious idea, I never would have thought of that!
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
                                www.elainehickman.com
                                **Morgans Do It All**

Comment

I've made them out of leather, and I've made them out of bungee cord with hardware clamps and snaps. I wouldn't trust electrical tape with the stress a horse can put on them.

You can make them more or less adjustable depending on how clever you are. With the leather ones, as I recall, I had those rocker buckles (with the spike in the middle) to allow for adjustments. With the bungee ones I simply tied them in knots away from the bit area.
                                  ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                                  Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

http://www.ultimatedressage.com/foru...p?f=1&t=202647

Personally I feel VR (which go through the legs) act too much like draw reins and don't allow enough lateral flexibility. It can work on some horses but also leads to BTV quite easily.

I personally prefer the "triangle/balance/Lauffer" rein that doesn't go through the leg but rather attaches in a V (top ring surgingle-bit-bottom ring surgingle SAME SIDE).

The balance reins allow the horse to stretch but also don't restirct so much. I found mine for 20 bucks at Schneiders. It also seems much safer as horses are known to get a leg through Vienna and draw reins.

I also use standard side reins with elastic. It really depends on the horse and where they are at with their work and if they naturally go above or below the bit.

Comment

Meh, I have a pair of reins I can use as drawreins, vienna reins through the girth, or vienna reins with a fancy name to the sides. Same thing with varying degrees of leverage.
                                      http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Fancy That View Post
                                        I homemade mine too. My dressage instructor told me how. Just bought some rope (a certain kind/width...it's soft and thin) and snaps from Home Depot.

Used electric tape to secure the snap ends. (thread rope through snap-end, and fold back onto itself by say 3 inches. WRAP the eletric tape around, to secure)

Cost less than $10 bucks.

You just have have a good eye to adjust it properly, because I literally tie it on. (snap the ends onto the bottom of the girth, through the bit and over to the d-rings)
                                        So you can't adjust them? Or you adjust them by tying them at different lengths to the dee's? I wonder if it would be a pain to tie on snaps at different lengths and leave them there. I may be making a trip to Home Depot soon! Thank you for the advice!

Sorry OP for hijacking!

Comment

Working...
                                        X