• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

IHSA riders, how'd your season go?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IHSA riders, how'd your season go?!

Just had Regionals yesterday (my last as an undergrad!) and was third in Open Fences...so I qualified for Zones! I'm super excited. Anyone else moving on and where will your Zones be held? I'm headed down to Bridgewater College, if anyone else will be there come say hi!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Congratulations and good luck!!

I rode western for Fall semester! We started up a western team and I joined it for kicks and giggles. I actually didn't embarrass myself either! In our region for western they do call-backs instead of giving out ribbons in multiple sections, and I made it into 9/10 callbacks, and got some ribbons! Surprisingly our team managed to pull reserve too, despite having only one "real" western rider (our open girl). My friend, a total HP who's never ridden western in her life, pointed up in her first season.

I also...er...quit IHSA this semester. Wasn't enjoying lessons, so started riding on my own somewhere else and was loving it until I got hurt. So I guess I could have had a better season
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

I'm always curious, fellow open rider, did you come on the team as open/open?

We seem to get a lot of riders with a open flat/intermediate fences split. I came on as open/open bc I was doing 3'6'' jumpers and had done the children's eq a few years back. What about you?

Comment

Congrats on qualifying for zones! Our regionals were held yesterday too (my last one as well!) and our team ended 2nd in our region and I'm headed to zone 6 finals this weekend at Otterbein. I haven't been to zones before so I'm excited to go. Best of luck to you! Do you have teammates who qualified with you?

Comment

• Original Poster

Rel6 - I started as a freshman in intermediate. I moved up to open, flat first then fences, both around the middle of Sophomore year. I had competed in children's hunters and eq, but mostly at unrated shows so my placement form actually said I should be in novice, but I clearly wasn't at novice level.

Kateh - That's so funny! Glad you had fun riding western! I never got into it, even though we had a really good western team my first two years. Sorry you weren't enjoying IHSA before you got hurt. I saw the pictures of your brace on another thread, ouch!

Comment

• Original Poster

Equisis - Congrats to you too! Sadly no teammates will be moving on with me. Actually, only one other girl on our team made it to regionals and she won't be moving on. Just me and my coach next weekend!

Comment

Congratulations to everyone who had a good season!

I didn't do IHSA this year since I came back to school at the beginning of our second semester, but I'm going to try out for our western team next year to see how that goes!

Rel6, I came into IHSA doing open/open (as a freshman) because I had done a lot of medal classes/filled big eq classes and was doing the high junior jumpers at the time. Doesn't seem like a ton of people come in as open/open though.
              http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
              Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

good job To the Max! i was actually at our regions finals this weekend helping out. the SU team didn't have anyone qualify this time around but it's only our second year doing it! we should have about 7 people showing in regionals next year!! How fun was the banquet??? my friends and I crashed the prom that was in the same hotel, lol.

I only did two shows this semester(because thats how much there were). First one was at UDEL and i got a 2nd in both novice fences and novice flat. My second iHSA show was at valley forge and i got a 3rd in flat. I have some points from when i rode at UMD so hopefully early next semster i'll move up to intermediate!
                GOOD LUCK AT ZONES!!! go region 4 zone 4!!

Comment

OP, you're in my zone! Good luck at zones!

My season went well, for the most part. I was proud of myself, which is what I wanted most out of the season. I'm only a freshman, and only in W/T/C, since I haven't shown at many rated shows. My coach was very happy with the way I rode this season, even if the judging didn't always reflect that.

Comment

Hey! I go to Bridgewater!!! Ill definitely see you around. I didnt point out this year but I should next year. Im riding for BC as a team rider though so Im stoked. Ill be there all day so definitely try to find me.

Are you guys planning on coming to dinner the night before?

Comment

OP- was looking at your youtube videos for the regionals. you were the one the judge stopped on course bc she thought you jumped the wrong fence right?? that was SUCH terrible luck!!! good thing they let you reride

Comment

OP, I just reread your post. How many riders does each region send to your zones? For individuals, we only send first and second place from regionals on to zones, then first and second from zones to nationals (unless one of them cannot go, of course). Maybe these numbers change by zone depending on size? I watched your videos as well- rough luck getting called off course, especially at regionals where there's a bit more at stake and nerves are higher. Glad you got to re-ride!

Comment

• Original Poster

HowDoILook - Awesome, definitely introduce yourself! I'm Kristie from Washington College. Me and my coach will be at the dinner on Saturday night.

Sarah - Yep, that was me! I was devastated when my coach told me I had actually been off course after all that happened...but thankfully every single coach and even all the riders in my class thought I deserved a re-ride. It's a shame because looking at the video, my first ride was going so well (it did not feel that good in person!) and my re-ride definitely wasn't as nice. And I'm positive I wouldn't have gone off course if I hadn't been stopped. Oh well! In my four years of IHSA, we have never ever asked for a re-ride for me (even when I probably should have gotten one) so I thought it was a pretty good time to cash that in!

Equisis - Yep, our Zone sends top 3 from regionals. I think it depends on the size of the zone, because when I was part of Z3R2 we only sent the top 2 riders as well.

Comment

I believe it's not dependent on the size of the zone (as frankly, the former Zones 8 and 9 got screwed in the re-zoning process...I won't get started on this), but on the number of riders in that zone. The Midwest and West coast zones are ridiculously large, but we only send the top 2 from regionals to zones and zones to nationals. I think many of the east coast zones send the top three because there are so many more riders.
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/supershorty628
                            Proudly blogging for The Chronicle of the Horse!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by supershorty628 View Post
                              I believe it's not dependent on the size of the zone (as frankly, the former Zones 8 and 9 got screwed in the re-zoning process...I won't get started on this), but on the number of riders in that zone. The Midwest and West coast zones are ridiculously large, but we only send the top 2 from regionals to zones and zones to nationals. I think many of the east coast zones send the top three because there are so many more riders.
                              Yep, sorry I wasn't clear, I meant size in riders, not in actual area.

Comment

My school's team had a great first year of IHSA showing. As a team Towson University only did five shows and we weren't able to field a full team at any of them; for most of the season we had holes in three classes. But we were in the top third of the competition at all but one of our horse shows (I believe that we were consistently the top out of those schools without a full team) and none of our riders ever came home empty-handed. We have three riders whom we expect to point up very quickly next year (10 points to go!) and I'd be in the hunt too if I weren't graduating . On a personal note- I won my last-ever IHSA class, so that was nice. (I cried. )
                                "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                                Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by supershorty628 View Post

Rel6, I came into IHSA doing open/open (as a freshman) because I had done a lot of medal classes/filled big eq classes and was doing the high junior jumpers at the time. Doesn't seem like a ton of people come in as open/open though.
                                  Yea seems like! You do get some crazy splits though. I had a friend who was also doing the junior jumpers and came in as open fences/novice flat I think. She very rarely did flat classes but was a beast in the jumpers.

Comment

Congratulations everyone! I miss being on my collegiate team and competing in the IHSA!
                                    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
                                    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
                                    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Renn/aissance View Post
                                      My school's team had a great first year of IHSA showing. As a team Towson University only did five shows and we weren't able to field a full team at any of them; for most of the season we had holes in three classes. But we were in the top third of the competition at all but one of our horse shows (I believe that we were consistently the top out of those schools without a full team) and none of our riders ever came home empty-handed. We have three riders whom we expect to point up very quickly next year (10 points to go!) and I'd be in the hunt too if I weren't graduating . On a personal note- I won my last-ever IHSA class, so that was nice. (I cried. )
                                      Awesome! You can always continue on with Alumni! =)

Comment

Equisis- I'll be heading to Zone 6 finals next weekend also. What did you qualify for? I'll be showing in alumni flat and fences. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                        X