• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Using multiple trainers; do you inform them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using multiple trainers; do you inform them?

My horse will be starting 30 days of hunter training where I board. Love the trainer, know it will be fabulous. But I've only known her a few months.
    I have plans to take my horse to my old barn (different state) for eventing training with my old trainer (just a week or two of "bootcamp") about a week after his initial 30 days (the timing was just by coincidence). Also love the trainer, know it will be fabulous.

I love both trainers, they just do different things and I want my horse exposed to both. Eventing trainer is aware of hunter trainer, as I've known eventing trainer for several years, but should I bring it up to hunter trainer? I plan to continue to take lessons and show with hunter trainer. I have concerns that the hunter trainer may see that training over XC fences will "undo" everything she's taught. I don't feel that will be the case, but can understand that viewpoint. I strongly feel that the "well-rounded education" he'll receive over natural XC fences will be beneficial. Anyway, I tend to follow the "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" motto, and worry that if I open up the can of worms before he goes to eventing trainer, hunter trainer will ask me not to go, in which case I'll have to openly defy her.

I don't plan to lie; hunter trainer will notice that he's gone for a week and will naturally ask where he's going, but by that time it will be too close to cancel the trip. (I plan to pay full board, just like I would if he was going to a show, so that's not the issue)

Or am I reading way to much into all this and it won't be a problem? I'm re-entering the "show barn" atmosphere after over a decade of boarding at low-key barns, so I'm not entirely sure of the etiquette.

Will it not be obvious when your horse returns and is going differently?
    Any trainer worth their salt will notice that the horse looks and feels different... and probably will be curious about where a horse they just put quite a bit of time in to is going.

I would be honest and forthcoming with information, when everyone is on the same page things will go better. If the hunter trainer is unhappy about the situation and you plan to do similar things in the future it is better to know now so you can find someone in agreement with your style of training.
    www.jazcreek.com
    Specialized Equine Rehabilitation, Reproduction, and Fitness in the Wine Country of Northern California

Comment

It is your horse and you can do whatever you want. BUT the trainer may feel her reputation follows with the horse and if this doesn't work out and the horse doesn't take to two different styles then they have the right to say goodbye. A trainers reputation is their business and so it has to be protected. I think it appears sneaky to say nothing so that isn't good.

Comment

Well where do you plan to end up? With the hunter trainer or w/ the event trainer? or continue with both. I personally appreciate your wanting to have your horse receive a well rounded education - but make sure the event trainer is worth their salt. There are many good ones out there but in my area I continue to hear "we don't need to do lead changes until..." from quite a few of the popular but lesser quality trainers (event) So if your horse is balanced and will change his leads w/ the hunter trainer but the event trainer doesn't encourage the change, then that can be an issue later... (this is just an example)...

Comment

Is this a young horse????

I have a problem with 30 days of "Hunter training" one place followed by 7 days of "Eventing training" in another. What can be accomplished in 7 days the other trainer can't do?

That is just enough time to get the horse confused. Basics are basics and one trainer or the other can probably do better with this one given more time instead of chopping it up into 2 sessions with different riders in different disciplines that sometimes conflict.

Ummm.. if it's outside fences and natural obstacles you want the horse exposed to, your Hunter trainer is perfectly capable of taking the horse out of the ring.

Otherwise, there are some differences between Eventing and a show Hunter that may get this horse confused.

Just don't think it's a good idea.
          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I think it's very hard to ship your horse out to Trainer B when you board with Trainer A.

That said, I use two trainers for my DD's youngster but he lives on my farm, so I feel like that gives me some latitude when scheduling his lessons. If I boarded with either trainer full time, I would not think of shipping out for a week or more of training, though I would not hesitate to ship out for a single or multi day clinic.

Comment

I keep mine at home and use multiple trainers, though more one than the other these days...I think it could be quite confusing for a young horse to be toted around from barn to barn. I think if you were just using it as a week to hack out with old friends, it would be a more reasonable, understandable situation. But boot-camp after 30 days of bootcamp somewhere else? Seems confusing for all involved.

Comment

Whatever you do, be up front with everyone. The trainer may be embarrassed if she hears about it through the grapevine. If she's not comfortable with the arrangement, talk it over and make your decision. I work with several (hunter) trainers (due to one of them taking off for Florida for 3 months) and I feel it works out well, but there are no basic conflicts in their philosophy or methods.

Comment

Make sure everyone is in the know. Beyond that, it's your horse! Really, how much are they going to "know" after 30 days with any trainer beyond "go forwards and jump"... getting out of the ring will be good.
                  "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

Sorry, but if your horse is going to be "confused" by being asked to travel in different frames, then he has no business being an event horse. The whole point of three phases is to have your horse able to shift gears, while relating each of the 3 disciplines to the others. If *you* are confused by the differing instructions, though, you can certainly mess up your horse if you don't know how to make the different trainers' philosophies work together in a cohesive fashion. Trainer-hopping is risky if you don't know how to tie it all together.
                    As for the original question, you can never go wrong being up front with a trainer. It's a sign of respect. If you lie to her (omission is still lying), she'll be offended even if she likes the other trainer and agrees with your thinking.

Comment

I agree withe that emotion that you need to be up front and tell her. But you probably should've done that before you paid her to sit on your horse for 30 days.

I'm also in agreement with I don't understand why you would put 30 days on this horse with one trainer, then go to a totally different style for 7 days and then return. If your horse is green it can be very confusing for him/her.

Your hunter trainer could easily take the horse XC schooling over natural obstacles if that's what you wanted. I know ours would love to go "play eventing" to go jump some fun natural jumps.

Comment

I think you'll get into trouble here-- the bolded parts:

Originally posted by morganpony86 View Post
                        Anyway, I tend to follow the "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" motto, and worry that if I open up the can of worms before he goes to eventing trainer, hunter trainer will ask me not to go, in which case I'll have to openly defy her.

I don't plan to lie; hunter trainer will notice that he's gone for a week and will naturally ask where he's going, but by that time it will be too close to cancel the trip. (I plan to pay full board, just like I would if he was going to a show, so that's not the issue)

Or am I reading way to much into all this and it won't be a problem? I'm re-entering the "show barn" atmosphere after over a decade of boarding at low-key barns, so I'm not entirely sure of the etiquette.
                        1) The horse world is too small for "I'll do what I want and clean up the mess later."

2) Thinking of your relationship with your Hunter Trainer as involving defiance. You own the horse, the trainer works for you. If the trainer has veto power over what you do, then you have a larger problem, IMO.

3) The difference between lying by commission and lying by omission is worth considering here.

4) Meh, not etiquette so much as business practice. IMO, you need to be up-front with everyone and autonomous. You want to be treated the same way, right?

I have no opinion on whether or not your training plan is a good idea. That's your call as an owner. You can ask both your pros for an opinion. You can supervise what your Eventing trainer does and say "Uncle" if you think the horse is getting badly confused. You also have the right to make a mistake with your own horse and the pros you choose.

Just my .02. I do ride with more than one trainer. I do let everyone know. I do welcome their opinions. I do take responsibility for the good and bad decisions I make for my horse. It works out because no one feels they are to blame for my horse's career trajectory.
                        The armchair saddler
                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I ride with a number of trainers at different times for different reasons. My new young Tb is with my main trainer right now. He will likely go to another trainer next fall for some work on open field riding (hunting and some just long trail riding) and really to be assessed by her for what he may need. Sometimes I need help with my riding so I go to another trainer and later on in his training he will work with the dressage trainer at my barn.

I am very open with everyone and if I have a problem with some of the training I speak up. For dressage-I ride hunters-I need to ask for a little less contact and more focus on hind end fitness. It has never been an issue with any of the trainers I've worked with. I am responsible utimately as MVP has stated and there is not a great change in the training just different approaches, the dressage training is likely a couple of years from now. Most people know that I work this way , and my main trainer can get sensitive about it but she usually learns along the way by seeing different approaches to teaching. Just be upfront about your goals and needs.

Comment

He's your horse

You can do whatever you like. I am definitely of the "be upfront" school of thought. I think you might damage your relationship with the Hunter trainer if you are not direct with her.

Just my .02

Comment

Does your trainer own your horse? If not - YOUR horse - YOUR rules. You do not need to ask permission. You are perfectly within your rights to ship out and train or clinic with whoever you want. Be upfront, be honest, but be nice.
                              "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

I personally think it is a good idea to get some exposure outside of the ring. I think I would be totally upfront with Hunter trainer that you would like your horse to have this experience. With my old trainer we had outside solid jumps that even the green horses jumped for something different. If either trainer is any good they should both see the benefit of the other. At the lower levels it is all the same basics. It is not like BN riders go out there and gallop the whole course. I am sure the event trainer will just be cantering around, and if they know that the horse is going back to the hunter world they will understand what to do with it (if they are good). I think if you are upfront about it, it will be much easier. That way your Hunter trainer knows what is going on. If the hunter trainer feels that going and jumping out in a field over solid jumps is going to mess the horse up then they are not a great trainer either. If both are good and professional they will understand that this will not hurt the horse, only benefit it.
                                http://community.webshots.com/user/jenn52318

Comment

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here- I think it is important that a young horse just learning to jump is in a consistent program. Hunter riders and eventers can approach jumping in very different ways, which can lead to confusion on the part of the horse, and set back training (as you fear the hunter trainer will think). Cross-training is great, but your hunter trainer and eventing trainer should be on the same page about how the eventing trainer is going to approach the horse's xc fence training.

I'd probably put more than 30 days of hunter training before adding a new trainer/method to the equation, if in fact it is a young horse just getting started. And when you do go, make sure that eventing trainer has talked to hunter trainer so she knows how the horse's training has been approached thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by War Admiral View Post
                                    Does your trainer own your horse? If not - YOUR horse - YOUR rules. You do not need to ask permission. You are perfectly within your rights to ship out and train or clinic with whoever you want. Be upfront, be honest, but be nice.
                                    True but -TRAINER'S barn- TRAINER'S rules so if the trainer is not informed and on board with the plan don't be surprised if you are not welcomed back and are asked to leave.
                                    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
                                    Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

Originally posted by wanderlust View Post
                                      I'm going to be the voice of dissent here- I think it is important that a young horse just learning to jump is in a consistent program. Hunter riders and eventers can approach jumping in very different ways, which can lead to confusion on the part of the horse, and set back training (as you fear the hunter trainer will think). Cross-training is great, but your hunter trainer and eventing trainer should be on the same page about how the eventing trainer is going to approach the horse's xc fence training.
                                      ^^^THIS ^^^
                                      Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
                                      Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

I voted for "the owner gets to make mistakes" and tried not to get into the training question. But Wanderlust is right, IMO.

Originally posted by wanderlust View Post

I'd probably put more than 30 days of hunter training before adding a new trainer/method to the equation, if in fact it is a young horse just getting started. And when you do go, make sure that eventing trainer has talked to hunter trainer so she knows how the horse's training has been approached thus far.

IME, Hunter Trainers do the very best job of early training for jumping horses. They use lots of poles on the ground, minimal rider micro-managing (for a horse that's not yet really strong and really broke) and look for a quiet, thinking horse. YMMV with Eventing trainers and horse just learning to jump. Mine has.

If this horse were mine, I'd really leave the jumping to the Hunter Pro until the horse could at least trot in and canter quietly out of a line with a minimalist ride. I wouldn't throw any "XC fence" more than the occasional small log on a trail at the young horse until I had this Hunter Foundation. I do think spending a week going "outside" on the flat and learning to think and be quiet out there is a great idea.
                                        The armchair saddler
                                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Working...
                                        X