• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

OK so WTH just happened?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK so WTH just happened?

No names/companies will be mentioned to protect the innocent but that being said I have NO IDEA who is right and who is wrong here but something is very wrong.....
    What do you COTHers think about this?
    I myself am shocked!
    Lets see how easy this is to explain with out ID'ing those involved....

Bought a saddle for my daughter on ebay.
    Happy with what I believed is a good purchase.
    Saddle payment clears and seller is paid,
    saddle is shipped my direction via UPS this Monday to arrive today.
    Get home from work yesterday and check emails.
    First.....message from an <un-named saddle maker> company....
    alleges that they own this saddle and I need to send it to them immed and then demand a refund from the person I bought it from.....
    second.....I get an email from the person I bought it from saying they got a message from the
    <un-named saddle maker> saying almost the same thing that they own the saddle, it was a "loaner" to a sponsored rider and was still owned by
    <un-named saddle maker> and this sponsored rider had no right in the first place to sell or trade it.
    Seller I bought it from said that they obtained it from yet another <un-named saddle maker> and that <un-named saddle maker> had taken it in as a trade and then purchased by this person who then sold it to me.
    Sellet to me says I need to send it back to them and they will refund my money, then that person, seller to me, will have to send it back to the saddle company she bought it from and get the money back that was paid for it and then that saddle company will have to duke it out with this un-mamed professional rider.
    What in the H#!! is going on here?????
    Saddle is due to be deliverd to me TODAY and I do not know if I should just keep it or refuse delivery of it or what the H#!! I need to do!!!! The Saddle company that says they own it has not yet produced anything that verifies that they indeed own this saddle and that is was sold fraudulently.
    Who owns this saddle? Me?, Who?
    Does this make any sense to anyone? It really has me comfused.....
  • Original Poster

here is first email....

This is the message I got from the
    <un named saddle company>
    This saddle was left with a sponsored rider as "to remain property of <removed>". There is a contract and all the paperwok proving that this saddle belongs to <removed>. Nobody else than <removed> was authorized to sell it and this seller is not affiliated with us.
    We would appreciate your help in getting this matter resolved. Sorry you are finding yourself in the middle, but this saddle belongs to us.
    Please put us in contact with the seller if you don't want to be dealing with that.
    You definitely shouldn't be keeping this saddle.
    Thanks,

<name removed>

Comment

• Original Poster

this is msg I got from person I bought it from

Hi <my name removed>,
      I just got a call from <un named saddle maker> is telling me that this saddle belongs to them?? Apparently they let a rider/trainer take the saddle and use it to ride but that person was not to sell it and it looks like that is what they did. I got the saddle from a local saddle company and had contacted them to see what rider they bought it from.

I am very sorry about this but I would have no way of ever knowing that. I believe the saddle will arrive in
      <un named state> tomorrow but I think I am going to need to have you send it back to me. i will have to refund your $$ and then I will need to send it to who I bought it from to get my $$ back and then they will need to work it out with <un named saddle maker>

Again,I am very sorry. I sell lots of saddles and have a great honest reputation so I am very frustrated by all of this Craziness. It looks like <un named saddle maker> will need to make it more clear when they lend out saddles that the Riders/Trainers do not getto keep them as thier own.

Please reply back so I know you got this.

Thank
      <un named seller to me>

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something in your post, but how in the world would the saddle company gain access to your email address?

Comment

• Original Poster

update already

Hi, yes I do have proof from <un named saddle maker> that it belongs to them. I contacted my saddle company and they are going to take it back from me and work with <un named saddle maker> directly ( just like I thought)

Please leave a not on the door to leave the info notice but to return package to UPS warehouse. Just shoot me an email later today when you get the info notice because I will call UPS to do redeliver to me. Once I know it is enroute I will refund the $$ you gave. I will not make you wait till it arrives back to me

I will do an ebay ( cancel transaction right now)

Thanks

Comment

Eh, just send it back/refuse notice. No matter who is right, it's a giant mess and one that you can easily get out of by sending the saddle back to the person you bought it from. Stinks to lose out on a nice saddle, but there are plenty of others that don't come with so much "baggage"!

Comment

Originally posted by chaserider View Post
              Maybe I'm missing something in your post, but how in the world would the saddle company gain access to your email address?
              THAT! And, that email from the saddle maker really didn't sound very professional, which makes me suspicious.

I would not even CONSIDER refusing delivery or sending that saddle anywhere until you have the money in your hand. Might be a scam, might not be, but you are not the one who screwed up here, so you should be made whole FIRST, before anyone else gets what they want.

Comment

It sounds like you're getting ripped off. I would do a few things.

First I would contact the saddle company VIA their store website NOT through the e-mail. I would then demand that they produce info that it is in fact owned by them.

When the saddle gets there check to see if the serial number is in fact removed. If it is then I would probably send it back. These people are likely in Cahoots together, how else did the saddle company get your e-mail? and why would the seller give out your e-mail?

BEFORE I send it back though I would DEMAND a refund of my money. Before that saddle even thinks of going to the mail I would want that money in my bank clear and free, what's to insure other wise that the seller returns your money?

Then I would write a bad review to e-bay that the person was a fraud. EVEN if the seller was in fact a good person in the middle they should have check for something as simple as a removed serial number. Especially considering it sounds like this person does this selling saddles from tack store thing frequently.

Comment

• Original Poster

This is the wildest thing ever! I spoke with the person on the phone who I bought it from and she sounded very sincere but the whole thing was/is so very bizarre!!!
                  In my heart I believe that the person who sold it to me had NO IDEA what the history of this saddle was and thought it was a legit sale.
                  I am going to do the right thing, i hope, and send it back right away but not accepting the delivery and pray I do get my money back.
                  MORAL TO THIS STORY...........
                  ALWAYS, before buying a saddle, run the serial numbers by the manufacturer to make sure of the history of the Saddle!!!
                  I will let everyone know know if all works out as hoped for.
                  Un freaking believable isn't it!

Edited part....
                  I will call or email the saddle maker first though....good ideas people! I think that bottom line, the sponsored rider is the one that is the schmuck!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

First, the saddle company's statement that they have a contract and paperwork proving the saddle belongs to the company wouldn't be enough evidence for me that this is indeed the case. Contracts may have more than one interpretation, and of course they will interpret it in the manner most favorable to them. Interesting that they did not attach a PDF of the alleged contract/paperwork proving their ownership to the email they sent you.

It sounds like the party who sold it to you is trying to do right by you -- giving you your money back, and then pursuing getting their money back from the party they purchased it from. But who knows whether they are being honest about their intentions.

Have you contacted eBay to see what their policies are in situations such as this?
                    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Comment

I would request proof before I did anything. Have them supply you with some sort of contract or documentation that shows THIS saddle, with the correct serial number was really on loan to the professional they say it was. Their e-mail doesn't sound very professional. I would make sure that they are legitimate before doing anything. Maybe try calling the company directly, not through whoever contacted you, and see if you can get more information on the saddle.

Or, get a refund and send it back to the seller and let them take on the headache. You can always find another saddle!

Comment

It's been a while since I've dealt with ebay, but I believe that one can access a buyer's e-mail/contact info in cases of fraud or theft.

Comment

Originally posted by dodedo View Post
                          Hi, yes I do have proof from <un named saddle maker> that it belongs to them. I contacted my saddle company and they are going to take it back from me and work with <un named saddle maker> directly ( just like I thought)

Please leave a not on the door to leave the info notice but to return package to UPS warehouse. Just shoot me an email later today when you get the info notice because I will call UPS to do redeliver to me. Once I know it is enroute I will refund the $$ you gave. I will not make you wait till it arrives back to me

I will do an ebay ( cancel transaction right now)

Thanks
                          SCAM!!!! She contacted them? and they told her that but she offers you no other information other then her word? Then you should just refuse it and leave a note that you will not except it? I DON'T THINK SO!!!! Again contact the saddle company DIRECTLY yourself and get your money back first!!!!!

Comment

Yes, please don't do what they are asking you to! The seller might sound very sincere on the phone (most scammers and manipulators do!), but you have no hard proof that anything they say is true. Contact saddle company directly, yourself, at their published number. If this turns out to be true, you can then tell the seller that you'll put the saddle in the mail to them as soon as you have the money for what you paid for the saddle PLUS shipping costs.

Could be this is all true, but better safe than sorry, seriously. Don't make the mistake of being too "nice" at your own expense.

Comment

SCAM

I would take the saddle and only return it when you have your refund in your hands. I would also want to see the contracts etc. that they claim they have- all very easy to scan and email in this day and age.

SCAM

I would wonder how the saddle maker got your email address.

Let the seller trust you to return the saddle, not the other way around.

Comment

This has scam written all over it if you ask me.

And yes, how did the saddle company get your e-mail address? I suspect seller and "saddle company" may be one and the same.

Comment

I would definitely call saddle maker yourself and verify all of this before just handing it back to UPS. Once you do that you have zero leverage to ensure you get your money back.

Also why should saddle go back to the seller? Seller has your money. If anything I would think the saddle would be going back to saddle maker if this whole thing was legit.

Comment

I don't get it. How did the saddle manufacturer find out you had their saddle, especially since you bought it off ebay? I'd want proof from the manufacturer that this is indeed the case before I'd ship it back. You already paid, and while I think it's great to be honorable by shipping the saddle back before being refunded, you have no guarantee that you will be refunded. If you paid by paypal you should definitely contact them to see what your rights are.
                                    Five Star Tack

Comment

I would be very very suspicious of this whole saga. Saddle maker/dealers do not write such unprofessional emails.

Comment

I would request a copy of a police report stating that the saddle was truly stolen, or better yet the county in which a PR was filed. It sounds very fishy to me and without a PR proving it was stolen I would not be sending it back. I definitely wouldn't return a thing without my paypal account being credited FIRST. Good luck I am sure you are frustrated and your daughter disappointed.
                                        Worth A Shot Farm
                                        Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
                                        Visit our Website
                                        Join us on Facebook
                                        Watch us on Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                        X